Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Tim Holtz distress inks

sometime ago I purchased three of his inks as well as markers. Much to my dismay they dried out within 6 months. The ink pads were on sale so that could have been the problem as opposed to the product ....but not the markers I paid full price for.

Anyway I am considering trying again and trying to decide between distress and oxide for purposes of nice blending and ease of use. I personally do not intend to try different techniques like spritzing with water for example at this time.

So any input between these two products would be appreciated Thank you.:p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were to choose one over the other I would choose the oxides for ease of blending.

Usually the fulll sized Distress pads come shrink wrapped in plastic. If they were bought with the shrink wrap in place they shouldn't be dry. There is an ink refresher solution sold by Ranger. I have it and use it for my regular Distress inkpads. It failed to revive a totally dry never used and well capped Distress marker however. I also reink my most used Distress pads a couple times a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

It's worth remembering that the regular Distress inks blend very well together, and that if, for instance, you have blue and yellow being blended, where they meet you will get green. Also, that if you try and blend red next to green, you will get mud. With the Oxides, it works slightly differently. If you put down yellow, dry it, then put down blue, the colours will layer over each other, not blend. So you could put down red, dry it, then apply green, and you will get green layered over red, not mud. You can still blend Oxides the same way you would blend Distress, but because Oxides are opaque, the colours are stronger in tone than the regular Distress. Personally, I always buy a reinker when I buy a stamp pad.
With the markers, it is important that you hear the lid 'click' when you replace it, and that no part of the black barrel end can be seen, otherwise they are not airtight.
Do you have much of a humidity problem? I've seen comments from others that do, that say that dries pads & markers out.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 08-13-2017 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
It's worth remembering that the regular Distress inks blend very well together, and that if, for instance, you have blue and yellow being blended, where they meet you will get green. Also, that if you try and blend red next to green, you will get mud. With the Oxides, it works slightly differently. If you put down yellow, dry it, then put down blue, the colours will layer over each other, not blend. So you could put down red, dry it, then apply green, and you will get green layered over red, not mud. You can still blend Oxides the same way you would blend Distress, but because Oxides are opaque, the colours are stronger in tone than the regular Distress. Personally, I always buy a reinker when I buy a stamp pad.
With the markers, it is important that you hear the lid 'click' when you replace it, and that no part of the black barrel end can be seen, otherwise they are not airtight.
Do you have much of a humidity problem? I've seen comments from others that do, that say that dries pads & markers out.
All really good in depth points as to how these two products blend/behave differently.

Reinking is a fact of life with the regular Distress and I suspect it will be with the oxides too. Sometimes I forget that it takes a lot more ink to blend onto a big section of a card front than it would to just stamp an image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Tim Holtz Ink

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I dont believe humidity is the problem as these markers are the only ones this had happened to. Would you believe I have some Marvy markers ( my first set ever) over 30 years old! Last year I tried one and it was still good....unbelieveable! I have never encountered this with other brands. In fact I read a post here some years back..... there were a couple of others that had this same problem.... maybe they all came from the same batch lol

I recall watching a video by Jennifer Mcquire and I think she said the oxides blended easier.....but she is an expert at blending. I think there is nothing like feedback from here, as it is always so helpful from everyday stampers using these products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I too have other markers that have lasted for a long long time. Overall my 40 or so Distress markers have dried up earlier than Tombows and Marvys. Only one completely failed within the first six months. They were purchased over the course of about a year from different online stores. I don't use them a lot and I make sure they are capped tightly. I do store them on their sides which I think is the recommended way. I like many of the Distress marker colors because they are softer, not so "primary."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2017, 12:25 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Totally agree, I have markers I've had for many years- again, mainly Marvy- and they are fine. I haven't had an issue with the Distress ones, and I too remember people posting on here about that happening, as you say, maybe they had a bad batch. I ask about the humidity, as basically it's something we in the UK are unlikely to ever suffer from, lol.
There is indeed nothing like feedback from people who actually use the product over a time- every manufacturer likes to think their product is the bees knees- after a few uses we crafters can often tell them otherwise, . Yes, Staz-On Opaque pads, I'm looking at you !
And yes, maryelena, they are supposed to be side stored. Which went contrary to what Tim first said when they were released, he said they could be store either way, but I noticed that changed when I got the tub of the 'seasonal' colours, there was a sticker on them saying to store on their side. Something must have prompted the chance of information there, I wonder if it was anything to do with them drying out prematurely?
Maybe a lot of these that failed had been stored upright by manufacturer/shipper/stores?
Save

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 08-14-2017 at 12:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just assume markers are going to dry out. I continue to buy them, but if I'm honest I actually have little faith in them as a dependable coloring medium. Of course, I only work with water-based. If I could work with Copics I wouldn't feel that way, since I could refill them.

As for Distress pads - I will reiterate what has been said before - you've got to get reinkers. And not just to reink the pads. I use my reinkers for a lot of other things, like making sprays and watercoloring.

There's a lot to be said for the properties of the new Oxides, but I worked only with the original Distress pads for so many years that I have a great fondness for them. In truth, some of the best work I've seen lately combines boths. Like here:

Words and Pictures

Scroll down a bit to the entry on making an Autumnal Oxide Journal, and then scroll down some more to see how she combined Regular and Oxide Distress to terrific effect. I have not done this yet, but now I plan to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Agreed. I panic without reinkers for every pad I own.

That is amazing work. I would never have thought of combining the two inks. Big fan of crow stamps and dies too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and if anyone hasn't done it already for their Distress Reinkers, it is worth it to go to the Ranger site and download the reinker labels:

Distress Reinker Cap Labels

Cut out the inside first with a 1/2 inch punch and the cut out the outside with a 3/4 inch punch and jam it down over the eyedropper lid so you can just look down at your bottles and see what each one is. Best afternoon's work I ever did. No more pulling every bottle out to find the color I want.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 08-16-2017 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes