Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 04-18-2017, 04:29 AM   #121
Hardware Hotshot

I am still on the fence about them. I wanted to be wildly enthusiastic. Maybe, as you say, two colors is not enough to get a sense of how they work.

I just wish I felt more excited about their ability to do plain old stamping.

RachelRose Designs by Robin... GALLERY
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 04-18-2017, 04:51 AM   #122
Pearl-ExPert

I feel the same as gossamer_wings regarding Tim Holtz products. I love Distress inks, but I never felt the need to have them all. However, as a long time stamper, I am on the look out for new and different products that I can pair with my older stamps to get new looks.

The thing I think I am loving the most about the inks is this technique that I shared on my blog a few weeks ago. You can do this with regular distress inks too, but I think it looks cooler with Oxides. My Little Stamping Blog: Distress Oxide Technique - Stamping with Water

I haven't has a much experience with the color layering like in the cool tag gossamer_wings shared. I need to try that more! I have been combining them to make backgrounds and adding one color of regular distress ink to the mix. I agree that the browns in oxides can be overwhelming, so adding the same brown from the regular distress line fixes that for me. My style is not so grungy, and I think that is why the browns are too brown for me.

I agree with others that it is no big deal if you don't like them. I do like them, but there are plenty of stamping trends I have passed on. Also, it is hard to get excited about more ink lines because it seems like every single stamp company now has their own line of ink. How different can they be?

I design for Just for Fun Rubber stamps.
muscrat likes this post.
Unread 04-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #123
Crimping Master

Your cards are so lovely, and your instructions easy to follow! Thank you for the link, can hardly wait to try, for that simple, yet "stand out" card.
Unread 04-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #124
Proud Fan Club Member

Heidi you have me drooling as I wait for my oxides! Great cards!
Unread 04-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #125
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdyheidi View Post
I feel the same as gossamer_wings regarding Tim Holtz products. I love Distress inks, but I never felt the need to have them all. However, as a long time stamper, I am on the look out for new and different products that I can pair with my older stamps to get new looks.

The thing I think I am loving the most about the inks is this technique that I shared on my blog a few weeks ago. You can do this with regular distress inks too, but I think it looks cooler with Oxides. My Little Stamping Blog: Distress Oxide Technique - Stamping with Water

I haven't has a much experience with the color layering like in the cool tag gossamer_wings shared. I need to try that more! I have been combining them to make backgrounds and adding one color of regular distress ink to the mix. I agree that the browns in oxides can be overwhelming, so adding the same brown from the regular distress line fixes that for me. My style is not so grungy, and I think that is why the browns are too brown for me.

I agree with others that it is no big deal if you don't like them. I do like them, but there are plenty of stamping trends I have passed on. Also, it is hard to get excited about more ink lines because it seems like every single stamp company now has their own line of ink. How different can they be?
Heidi, as I commented on your blog, your cards are lovely. There aren't - yet - enough blogs and videos showing CAS cards using amazing Oxide techniques. You just helped fill that gap. : D
muscrat likes this post.
Unread 04-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #126
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
I am still on the fence about them. I wanted to be wildly enthusiastic. Maybe, as you say, two colors is not enough to get a sense of how they work.

I just wish I felt more excited about their ability to do plain old stamping.
Definitely more colors.{whispering: cracked pistachio, which wasn't a go-to with regular Distress} But that's if you want to do some techniques, blending, layering, etc?

You know, there are so many inks that stamp beautifully, I wouldn't suggest someone get Oxides mainly for stamping. I think the stamping is nice, and you can get some unusual stamping effects, but it's more of a side benefit and not the main show. Just my take.
muscrat, StamperDea and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 04-20-2017, 02:23 AM   #127
Pearl-ExPert

I bought the whole set- fangirl?-lol? but admit I'm still on the fence. I don't do a lot of 'wet' backgrounds, but that seems to be where they are strongest, in layering. The colours 'sit' on top of each other, rather than blending together, in regular blending use. My biggest like for them is being able to use on black cardstock. That is the most useful reason I have them for.
One point I'll make, I was watching a video of a UK You Tuber, who does art journalling, and he used them in a recent video in his black Dylusions journal, and they didn't work well at all. The colours faded almost to white, especially when misted with water. Worked fine on other black cardstock though, so that was odd.
If they expend the range, there are a few colours I'd buy, but I would not be going after the whole range, as I did with the regular DI's.
Unread 04-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #128
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Just an FYI on the Oxides, because I remember the regular Distress inks weren't supposed to break down in water... here's some noticeable breakdown in the Faded Jeans Oxide ink. Not a bad thing necessarily, just something to know.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

dogbyte likes this post.
Unread 04-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #129
Pearl-ExPert

Dini, I'm confused. (So what's new? Nothing.) All Oxides react to water, and depending on how much water and how it's applied, can give different effects. I think you're referring to something different though, right?

Beth
Unread 04-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #130

I'm referring to the colors - sorry for not being clear! The Distress inks were not supposed to break down into component colors. This is splitting into some blues and purples with the addition of water.

Vincent Van Gogh

Unread 04-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #131
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
I'm referring to the colors - sorry for not being clear! The Distress inks were not supposed to break down into component colors. This is splitting into some blues and purples with the addition of water.
Distress inks weren't supposed to break down into colors or Distress Oxides? (Who's on first haha!) Either way it's pretty. : )
Unread 04-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #132

Distress inks do not split. Distress oxides missed the memo.

Vincent Van Gogh

muscrat and StamperDea like this post.
Unread 04-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #133
Pearl-ExPert

Such rebels!
muscrat likes this post.
Unread 04-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #134
Pearl-ExPert

Some more ideas/techniques:

Justine's Cardmaking: 5 Ways to Use Distress Oxide Inks

Technique: Water Coloring with New Distress Oxide Inks ? Stamping
StamperDea likes this post.
Unread 04-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #135
Proud Fan Club Member

I came here to share a link, but Vic already beat me to it! Guess I will still paste the video directly because it really is cool!

dogbyte likes this post.
Unread Yesterday, 07:16 AM   #136
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
I came here to share a link, but Vic already beat me to it! Guess I will still paste the video directly because it really is cool!
And what's also cool is there are actually four videos that two bloggers created. Here's the first one:

Distress Oxide 101 - How to Create an Envelope With a Matching Card - HolyLise

And a hint about layering colors that normall make mud. You won't get mud if you let ink dry somewhat between layers. It doesn't have to be bone dry, just dryish. When I layer without water, by the time I close the one ink pad, open the other and am ready to stamp, that's usually dryish enough.

If using water, just zap it with a heat tool a bit - though the amount of time depends on the heat gun.
muscrat and Annecards like this post.