Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 02-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #41
Kookie Creator

Now that I HA stamp positioner I believe I'll get some good results with layer different types of ink on top of one another... add in some watercolor or pigment powders... I'll watch more of the demo videos and play with what I have.
I liked the concept of the Misti when it first came out, but I was a hold on that product as well...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 02-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #42
Pearl-ExPert

I think great results can come from everything you're listing - and with a stamp positioner even more so (congrats!). This ink gives different results in certain aspects, but that does not mean better for everything or everyone. : )
Unread 02-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #43
Gabfest Goddess

I just got to play with my friend Karen's Oxide inks today and it was fun! This was her card design for a shoebox event. We put the pink and orange ink on acrylic blocks, spritzed with water and stamped those on paper, dried with a heat tool, and kept repeating until we liked the look. The last layers were with the green. Because we dried in between layers, the green did not make mud.
Attached Thumbnails
img_1331.jpg  

Last edited by arlenevita; 02-18-2017 at 04:39 PM..
muscrat and bjeans like this post.
Unread 02-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #44
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenevita View Post
I just got to play with my friend Karen's Oxide inks today and it was fun! This was her card design for a shoebox event. We put the pink and orange ink on acrylic blocks, spritzed with water and stamped those on paper, dried with a heat tool, and kept repeating until we liked the look. The last layers were with the green. Because we dried in between layers, the green did not make mud.
Nicely done... I never heard of Karen's Oxides. Do you have a link?
Unread 02-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #45
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohodiva View Post
Nicely done... I never heard of Karen's Oxides. Do you have a link?
Karen is a friend who purchased the new Distress Oxide ink pads and she brought them with her today for us to play with.
muscrat and kazooMI like this post.
Unread 02-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #46
Kookie Creator

Here's another video with paper comparisons. Enjoy
Paula in GA, muscrat and bjeans like this post.
Unread 02-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #47
Pearl-ExPert

Cool you found that. I posted a link to it on some thread (CHA?) because of how she emphasizes paper differences, and it's so important - for other mediums too.

If I had just seen this (and Tim's) video I wouldn't have been interested in oxide inks, because most ways that they're unique and how they can be used that's different from other inks/paints/etc. aren't mentioned. But it could be because it's the first of a series. : )

As to paper, sometimes I wonder if a good number of people who aren't happy with their inking, watercoloring, etc., changed their paper, that they'd find their mojo? : )
muscrat likes this post.
Unread 02-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #48
Proud Fan Club Member

I have found that paper makes all the difference. I have bristol, mixed media, and watercolor paper. Love them all. My other card stocks do not work as well for these techniques.
Nawnee07, Bohodiva and bjeans like this post.
Unread 02-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #49
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
I have found that paper makes all the difference. I have bristol, mixed media, and watercolor paper. Love them all. My other card stocks do not work as well for these techniques.
I agree. Using the right paper for the medium of choice makes a big difference, lesson learned after wasting so many sheets... I use Canson XL watercolor and mixed media papers. I have some inexpensive pads that I use for swatching out my mediums.
Unread 02-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #50
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohodiva View Post
I agree. Using the right paper for the medium of choice makes a big difference, lesson learned after wasting so many sheets... I use Canson XL watercolor and mixed media papers. I have some inexpensive pads that I use for swatching out my mediums.
The Canson XL is my favorite! And Walmart carries it!
Unread 02-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #51
Pearl-ExPert

Jiurnal pages: Bella's Creative Space: Distress Oxide Journal page
Unread 02-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #52
Forum Fanatic

I played just a little and so far the only thing that is impressive is stamping on dark paper but I want to see how it looks after a few days to see if it's still as bright. I've never considered the distress ink as a good "stamping" ink so the improvement isn't a big seller as I have a ton of other inks for just stamping.

I do a lot of blending and IMHO they are no different/better than the other pigment inks I have. Also, I felt I have to move pretty fast to use them for embossing powders.

I haven't tried them in a mixed media project so that might be a selling factor, but right now, the only way I'll buy any more is if there is a color I don't have.
Unread 02-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #53
Pearl-ExPert

I have had them for a little while (I pre ordered them) and have posted a few projects in the gallery here if you are interested in my results. I do not do grungy very often BUT I have found that I am really enjoying them. I have a couple more in the works using them in a different way than I have seen before and the results excited me. I think the backgrounds are different enough from regular distress backgrounds, but it is being able to stamp and blend with them that makes them really fun to work with.

I design for Just for Fun Rubber stamps.
muscrat, kazooMI and bjeans like this post.
Unread 02-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #54
Pearl-ExPert

Your cards are beautiful (commented on them) and I'm curious about your unique technique using the oxide inks. Blending is different than with regular Distress inks, and I love some of the reacitions.

I've also found that they can stamp with some transparency so you can see two colors at once that don't mix - like worn lipstick and cracked pistachio. That was a nice shock. : )
StamperDea and howdyheidi like this post.
Unread 02-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #55
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Your cards are beautiful (commented on them) and I'm curious about your unique technique using the oxide inks. Blending is different than with regular Distress inks, and I love some of the reacitions.

I've also found that they can stamp with some transparency so you can see two colors at once that don't mix - like worn lipstick and cracked pistachio. That was a nice shock. : )
Thanks! I just need to actually have time to finish my project and I will be posting it soon!

I will try your trick with stamping overlapping two colors!

Unread 02-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #56
Pearl-ExPert

A little technique tut on Ranger: Distress Oxide Initial Tag by Debbie Tlach | Ranger Ink and Innovative Craft Products
Unread 02-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #57
Hardware Hotshot

So, from what I am reading, this ink would not replace, say, my Colobox Chalk Inks? It's not as opaque?

And I watched Ilina's video, saw her stamp, but what about the "lightening" effect you get when you mist with water? Jen McG. demoed that, but I could not tell if doing it automatically caused the ink to run. Or could you mist just enough to create the lightening/brightening effect and still have a crisp image?

RachelRose Designs by Robin... GALLERY
Unread 02-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #58
Pearl-ExPert

Rachelrose, it's different than chalk ink. You can make it opaque if you want it opaque. I was very surprised at the translucent (not transparent) effect I got with two colors.

I have to play more with misting - I've only done a little. Big drops make halos, of course. And lots of water makes it run. I amost never use kraft paper like Jennifer did, but bought some so I could see what she was talking about. Thanks for reminding me - I stuck it with my 12x12 and forgot about it!

I bet more videos will come out demonstrating the unique properties better. Right now many seem to show projects somewhat in the "regular" mixed media category - but that's just my take. So people on the fence might want to take a wait-and-see attitude until there are more videos - including from the CAS crew - and more stampers using them. They are very different to me in ways important or fun for me, but different strokes, etc. : )

I'm going to a technique/card class next week, and the instructor is outstanding, so I have hopes more mysteries will be revealed, and will report back - although I'm a rank amateur.
Unread 02-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #59
Hardware Hotshot

I look forward to hearing what you learn. I have been on the Distress Ink bus for years, and now can't decide if these inks will give me anything I need to have. Of course they will make beautiful BGs, but I would ideally want to be able to stamp with them as well. I don't use my Distress Inks for stamping.

Unread 02-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #60
Pearl-ExPert

They stamp very nicely! Not detailed like, say, Versafine, but quite well, imo. I hope others chime in who have stamped with them. To me that stamp more like a pigment ink - with a twist. : )

I've mostly used regular Distress inks for stamping if I needed a color I didn't have in another ink, and not for anything detailed. Or solid.
Unread 02-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #61
Pearl-ExPert

Another video:
Unread 02-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #62
Pearl-ExPert

I did post a simple photo tutorial on my blog about getting a cool faux bleach stamping look (sort of a watercolor ghost stamping) that is more controlled IMO than the way Tim shows to stamp with it and then spray with water.

I had a ridiculous amount of fun with it!

Some samples are in my gallery here too. Seeing color change right before your eyes is just so fun, it makes stamping really fun and novel again. Most of my cards are Clean and Simple or Traditional, and I like the new inks, but I am never a person to tell people to run out and buy something.

Here is a direct link to the tutorial if you are interested. My Little Stamping Blog: Tutorial - Faux Bleaching (or Watercolor Stamping) with Distress Oxide Inks

Last edited by howdyheidi; 02-23-2017 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: I am bad at typing.
arlenevita, StamperDea and bjeans like this post.
Unread 02-24-2017, 04:23 AM   #63
Pearl-ExPert

Yow, the first one in your blog looks like a fossil! I'll have to try that today. What a surprise, right!? : )
Unread 02-24-2017, 06:56 AM   #64
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Yow, the first one in your blog looks like a fossil! I'll have to try that today. What a surprise, right!? : )
I do really love the look on the kraft. I bet there will be a bit of a difference with each brand of cardstock too. Lots of fun surprises to be had....

I hope you have fun stamping today

bjeans likes this post.
Unread 02-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #65
Pearl-ExPert

I'm glad I bought a few sheets of kraft. I wonder if all kraft reacts the same or if different brands give different magic results...
Unread 02-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #66
Hardware Hotshot

I ordered two pads, just to see if I liked them. SSS was already sold out of the two I wanted, so I had to make do with my second choice. I'll see what I think.

I am usually an all-in gal, but I am trying to learn to be more reasonable, and not have to have all of anything, all at once, immediately. !

Unread 02-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #67
Pearl-ExPert

I had to do other crafty stuff today, but did stamp a small, detailed, rectangular stamp on kraft paper - two leaf outlines with fake handwriting in the background.

The image was clear and crisp.

I stamped normally, and then inked and misted the stamp with water like Heidi did. (Thank you Heidi!) Worn Lipstick barely showed up on the dark kraft paper, as expected. But it became lighter and brighter when wet, and turned a very pale pink when dry.

I love that magic! But some people might not, if expecting to get the normal color, so if using water, test on scrap paper the same color as your CS beforehand, and/or make up swatches.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-24-2017 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Inked and misted, not stamped and misted
muscrat and howdyheidi like this post.
Unread 02-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #68
Hardware Hotshot

Sounds fascinating. I will be curious to try my two out when I get them.

I hope they don't have any odor that will annoy me. I have to avoid most craft supplies that do. No alcohol markers for me or even certain paints. The great regret of my crafting career is that I'll never be able to use Copics, because I love how they look.

Unread 02-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #69
Rubber Obsessor

do these inks have the special effects of regular distress inks? and do they differ from other hybrid inks, such as memento luxe? if yes, how so?
Unread 02-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #70
Glitter Queen

Are this going to be able to be used with a Geli Plate? Just ordered one of those and am going to splurge on the ink next week? didn't know since they appear to by a hybrid
thanks
Unread 02-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #71
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
Sounds fascinating. I will be curious to try my two out when I get them.

I hope they don't have any odor that will annoy me. I have to avoid most craft supplies that do. No alcohol markers for me or even certain paints. The great regret of my crafting career is that I'll never be able to use Copics, because I love how they look.
Report back about the Oxides - fingers crossed! I had all of them open a couple times today to ink mini blenders and dots for organizing. Yesterday I stamp a bit. And I forgot to check odor because there wasn't any. Could I have detected it if I put them up to my nose again? Maybe, but why do that? : ) But I'll try to remember re-check tomorrow because I'm curious.
dogbyte likes this post.
Unread 02-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #72
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativechbdcrafts View Post
do these inks have the special effects of regular distress inks? and do they differ from other hybrid inks, such as memento luxe? if yes, how so?
Read the thread & watch the videos - your questions should be answered.
Unread 02-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #73
Pearl-ExPert

A Tim Holtz vid at CHA about why Yupo paper does not work. : ) I thought the info (not about Yupo) at the beginning was really interesting - how the components separate during manufacturing, plus his answers to questions people werre asking him.

Unread 02-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #74
Rubber Obsessor

i've watched almost all of Jennifer Mcguire's video an my questions remain: do these inks have the special effects of regular distress inks? and do they differ from other hybrid inks, such as memento luxe? if yes, how so?
Unread 02-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #75
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I had to do other crafty stuff today, but did stamp a small, detailed, rectangular stamp on kraft paper - two leaf outlines with fake handwriting in the background.

The image was clear and crisp.

I stamped normally, and then inked and misted the stamp with water like Heidi did. (Thank you Heidi!) Worn Lipstick barely showed up on the dark kraft paper, as expected. But it became lighter and brighter when wet, and turned a very pale pink when dry.

I love that magic! But some people might not, if expecting to get the normal color, so if using water, test on scrap paper the same color as your CS beforehand, and/or make up swatches.
I am glad you had fun with the technique!

Unread 02-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #76
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
i've watched almost all of Jennifer Mcguire's video an my questions remain: do these inks have the special effects of regular distress inks? and do they differ from other hybrid inks, such as memento luxe? if yes, how so?
The inks have some special effects, but not exactly like distress inks. One major difference between these and the memento luxe is the very matte finish when misted with water, and the whitening of areas (oxidizing) when big drops of water are applies.

If you are just stamping with them, they are similar to other pigment inks, but the inkpad material is different.

You may want to search for Tim's demos from CHA that are on Youtube, he does talk about some of these other topics. I am sure that he explains it better than me!

Unread 02-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #77
Rubber Obsessor

thanks!i think ill save the space on my wish lists for something else
Unread 02-27-2017, 04:51 AM   #78
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
They are different than regular Distress inks or would not have hit the market, though there is some overlap. I know it's a long thread, but if you go through the posts and videos you'll gets lots of information.

It's hard to do a very quick comparison since they are so new; we are just discovering their properties and Tim hasn't demonstrated everything, plusl he's all about mixed media and these lend themselves to any kind of stamping. So a few differences from regular Distress inks that I've found:

- easier blending - and no muddy colors when blending complementary colors. I'm a really bad blender, but you'd think I knew what I was doing with these. Blending using Ranger watercolor paper yesterday was magic.I felt like I was channeling Laura Bassen. Well, maybe not that good. : )

- good stamping, even details. Not as detailed as Versafine can do, but quite good.

- special effects: overall lightening if wet, halos with water drops, etc. And if you spray your inked stamp, you get a ghosting effect (a la Heidi on this thread) which I think looks like fossils on some card stock.

- opacity or translucence depending on your application. When stamping a leaf with worn lipstick and cracked pistachio on top of each other at an angle, both colors were visible where they overlapped.

I'm sure there's more; I'm going to a class tonight with a super instructor/designer.

Just my take; YMMV!

Last edited by bjeans; 02-27-2017 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Typos, clarification
kazooMI likes this post.
Unread 02-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #79
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
They are different than regular Distress inks or would not have hit the market, though there is some overlap. I know it's a long thread, but if you go through the posts and videos you'll gets lots of information.

It's hard to do a very quick comparison since they are so new; we are just discovering their properties and Tim hasn't demonstrated everything, plusl he's all about mixed media and these lend themselves to any kind of stamping. So a few differences from regular Distress inks that I've found:

- easier blending - and no muddy colors when blending complementary colors. I'm a really bad blender, but you'd think I knew what I was doing with these. Blending using Ranger watercolor paper yesterday was magic.I felt like I was channeling Laura Bassen. Well, maybe not that good. : )

- good stamping, even details. Not as detailed as Versafine can do, but quite good.

- special effects: overall lightening if wet, halos with water drops, etc. And if you spray your inked stamp, you get a ghosting effect (a la Heidi on this thread) which I think looks like fossils on some card stock.

- opacity or translucence depending on your application. When stamping a leaf with worn lipstick and cracked pistachio on top of each other at an angle, both colors were visible where they overlapped.

I'm sure there's more; I'm going to a class tonight with a super instructor/designer.

Just my take; YMMV!
bjeans, looking forward to hear how your class goes with this product! - fifi
Unread 02-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #80
Hardware Hotshot

Hoping I have the same no-odor experience that you did, bjeans. They are sounding more and more like something I might like to use. The fact that they stamp well is a big plus. (No, nothing stamps quite like Versafine, ain't it the truth, they're the go-to black but their color palette leaves much to be desired).

If it were just for BGs, I might not invest.

I can't wait to get my two and see for myself.