Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #81
Matboard Maniac

Default stamp machine

I bought mine from photocentric - not sure where you would get the Teresa Collins one.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #82
Glitter Queen

You can get the Teresa Collins Stampmaker from scrapbook.com and from many Craft Warehouse stores. Ask your local store to get it for you. I want to clear up a few things:
Monica mentions imagebox from Photocentric. This is a larger light unit that makes up to 8x11" but note that it does have a steeper learning curve than Stampmaker. Imagebox takes 30 minutes to make a sheet of stamps and you expose both sides to light which means you have to get it just right or your base will be too high or low. The beauty of the Teresa Collins Stampmaker is that it takes just 5 minutes to make stamps, less for stencils (2 1/2 minutes!) and embossing plates (3 minutes). You expose on one side only so get a lovely deep etch every time. If you have very fine detail, just flash the other side for 3 seconds before your 3 minutes and the fine dots and lines will attach themselves to the plastic backing.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #83
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via Yahoo to ericka1975

I bought mine from HSN last Thursday and got it on Tuesday. So far so good. The problem is I cant find where to buy the the little paks that actually makes the stamps so I'm scared to try anything because I don't want to run out and have a machine that I can't use. I did make one of the pre made negatives and I made one with my name on it and it was REALLY easy but I tried doing one of my niece and nephew bc they say it's really easy to do but I couldn't get it and dind't want to waste the film. But I really like it so far
Old 01-27-2011, 05:04 AM   #84
Glitter Queen

There are still some packs on HSN that are great value - there is a pack of 5 small and 5 medium for $16.95. Scrapbook.com also stock the packs. For photos, remove background, turn it black & white, then invert colours.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #85
Compulsive Stamper

Well, I am a little disillusioned and pretty bummed with the TC Stampmaker. I don't really care about any of their images; I wanted to be able to make my own. I followed their instructions to print my own images, and my negatives are not black enough. I even tried tweaking a few things to see if it made a difference. They let light through the black part still. I think I just wasted $150.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #86
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberroses View Post
Well, I am a little disillusioned and pretty bummed with the TC Stampmaker. I don't really care about any of their images; I wanted to be able to make my own. I followed their instructions to print my own images, and my negatives are not black enough. I even tried tweaking a few things to see if it made a difference. They let light through the black part still. I think I just wasted $150.
Take a thumb drive or an sd card with your images on them to a photocopy centre and get them to print them with the laser printers onto transparencies for you. Tell them to print on the darkest settings. You may lose some detail though.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #87
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberroses View Post
The best thing when you have any sort of question, is to contact Photocentric. Their details should be in your kit. There are many printers on the market and they can give advice on a lot of them. You have to change your printer settings to increase the black ink it drops. Photo printers don't tend to print negatives very black. The HP D1000 ink jet is $30 at Walmart and prints great negatives.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #88
Matboard Maniac

Sorry to hear that you can't get good negatives...when you say light gets through are you actually holding it up to the light...when I do I can see the light bulb. But if I hold my negative up to my computer monitor I can't see through it. One of the other issues I had was my negatives weren't printed big enough..so a little bit of light got through on the edge. I'm using an Epson R220 my Epson RX595 wouldn't print dark enough.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #89
Pearl-ExPert

So has anyone tried using plain ol' transparency sheets instead of the sheets made for the machine? I've used all mine that came with it and need more and I'm wondering if transparency sheets will work? I have some but I'm afraid I'll ruin a stamp packet to try it

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #90
Glitter Queen

Some transparencies may work, most won't... The film that comes with the kit has a coating to absorb ink. You will easily know if it will work as when you print it, if you hold it to the light and can see straight through it, it isn't black enough and won't work. Don't try to make a stamp if the negative is not black enough..
Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #91
Glitter Queen

If you have problems making a negative, Photocentric offers a service to make a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" negatives for just $7.99. You just have to email them your jpegs. That way you know the images will be black. Also, it may help others if those who have printed good negatives can share the printer they have and the settings they used with others?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #92
Glitter Queen

Hi guys,
Regular transparencies won't work. 'I researched a lot on this, I went to ebay and bought waterproof inkjet positive films for silkscreen from a company and it was really cheap. I got a sample pack and It worked for me. Off course no home print as far as I know will give you that smooth perfect line.

Does anyone knows if the negatives Photocentric offers to print are from an Imagesetter? Because then it would be superior to any home printing, and then I'd be interested. I've been looking for fim output services on the internet for a while..
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #93
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaPA View Post
Hi guys,
Regular transparencies won't work. 'I researched a lot on this, I went to ebay and bought waterproof inkjet positive films for silkscreen from a company and it was really cheap. I got a sample pack and It worked for me. Off course no home print as far as I know will give you that smooth perfect line.

Does anyone knows if the negatives Photocentric offers to print are from an Imagesetter? Because then it would be superior to any home printing, and then I'd be interested. I've been looking for fim output services on the internet for a while..
Output from Photocentric is from a laser printer enhanced to make blacker. It will not scratch. It will be as per the sample negatives included in the Teresa Collins Stampmaker.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #94
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaPA View Post
I'm new to clear stamps, and decided to get
a machine for hobby and to make prototypes.

I was going to buy Teresa's machine but ended up buying a Photocentric machine that is more expensive
and bigger because I wanted something that could work with A4 sachets.

It is the same UV light process but the sachets are clear or superclear and they have different sizes up to A4, and uses their salts. The stamps came out with a sticky back and as thick as store bought, ready for the acrylic block.
There are some pros and cons...off course.
What are the pros and cons that you noticed so far????

I got the stampmaker to start but couldn't get it to work since my laser printer didn't print dark enough..Even taping 3 copies of it still didn't work. Could be that the lines were too thin but on one try, some came out hard the rest were still gooey. Another try, nothing harden. I didn't like the pinkish colors of the polymer after seeing it either. The test film they provided did work somewhat but it felt sticky (the front of the stamp). Also didn't like that you'd have to spend more to get adhesive for the backing and the looks of that.

So I wanted to exchange it but one thing to beware of is that they said since it's been used, they would only offer $80 towards the larger one. So that was a bummer...it's like spending $500 or so total.

Also noticed that the pricing of their ink jet transparencies are twice as much as their laser transparencies. So while having an ink jet would give the black needed, you will have to spend more if you buy their transparencies. That's just what I've noticed so far.

I still plan on getting the bigger one probably but now just really trying to research and get more comments about it first....
Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #95
Glitter Queen

and oh yeah... I agree with the smell. I used the guest bathroom and every time I walk by it now, it still seem to have that polymer smell and I was just thinking about how to make it an outdoor thing since you will need hot water (?) and how safe it is to be sniffing it all the time...
Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #96
Compulsive Stamper

I just posted a review of my TC Stampmaker on my blog after spending an entire day designing, the creating a whole bunch of stamps. In a nutshell I am not very pleased with the outcome, the smell, the rash on my hands (yes she SAYS to wear rubber gloves, but I followed HER example and did NOT).
Diary of a Craft Room Transformation: My conclusion about the Teresa Collins Stampmaker

I am using an HP Photosmart C4450 deskjet printer. First I followed the instructions which say NOT to use the best setting, then tried the best setting, tried black cartridge only vs. both and just couldn't get it black enough for a really good quality product. If I have to pay extra to have Photocentric make the prints for me then it isn't worth it. Now I wish I had spent my money on something else. Someone mentioned being able to get $80 towards a larger machine or buying a different printer. I don't know about the rest of you, but this purchase was a Christmas, Birthday and anniversary gift all rolled in to one and I certainly can't afford to pay more for another machine. The whole idea was to SAVE money, not spend more. I'm only sharing my disillusionment here on this site so others who are currently considering the purchase will consider all options. If you have an unlimited income (I don't) and can buy a special printer or send off jpegs to Photocentric or whatever else it takes, not to mention the cost of the stamp packets and film, then this might be a fun product to have around. It did make successful small font stamps, but so far has not come close to paying for itself.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:21 AM   #97
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypadsis View Post
I just posted a review of my TC Stampmaker on my blog after spending an entire day designing, the creating a whole bunch of stamps. In a nutshell I am not very pleased with the outcome, the smell, the rash on my hands (yes she SAYS to wear rubber gloves, but I followed HER example and did NOT).
Diary of a Craft Room Transformation: My conclusion about the Teresa Collins Stampmaker

I am using an HP Photosmart C4450 deskjet printer. First I followed the instructions which say NOT to use the best setting, then tried the best setting, tried black cartridge only vs. both and just couldn't get it black enough for a really good quality product. If I have to pay extra to have Photocentric make the prints for me then it isn't worth it. Now I wish I had spent my money on something else. Someone mentioned being able to get $80 towards a larger machine or buying a different printer. I don't know about the rest of you, but this purchase was a Christmas, Birthday and anniversary gift all rolled in to one and I certainly can't afford to pay more for another machine. The whole idea was to SAVE money, not spend more. I'm only sharing my disillusionment here on this site so others who are currently considering the purchase will consider all options. If you have an unlimited income (I don't) and can buy a special printer or send off jpegs to Photocentric or whatever else it takes, not to mention the cost of the stamp packets and film, then this might be a fun product to have around. It did make successful small font stamps, but so far has not come close to paying for itself.
The Teresa Collins Stampmaker is designed to make stamp making simple and fast. Best results are with black negatives. Ink jet film is supplied in the kit as all ink jet printers will print black enough if you find the right settings. If you're not sure, you are advised to contact Photocentric. Did you change the paper setting to photo paper matte also? If this option isn't there, try transparency. Most laser printers will not print black enough unless you enhance the output with toner density spray.
You mentioned about having a lot of polymer to wash - if you make a small stamp with a large pack, there will be more polymer to wash away. Anything black on your artwork will stay liquid and need to be washed out.
The larger Photocentric machine - imagebox - makes 81/2 x 11" sheets and takes 25 minutes (against 5 minutes for stampmaker). You expose on 2 sides for imagebox and the times are very important. This machine is more difficult to use than Stampmaker and you have a larger sheet to wash..
Many people make great stamps with Stampmaker - if you aren't getting the results you want, contact Photocentric and discuss it. They can usually help!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #98
Pearl-ExPert

I must have a good printer because I haven't had any problems printing my negatives at all. I'd just wanted to know if I could save a buck and use transparencies, I think I'll try and like Sally said just see if they are dark enough. I'm not bothered by the smell and my final stamps came out just a tiny bit pink, totally clear enough to see through for stamping. But I agree, you must wear gloves, that stuff is icky
I do think it's a learning process on how to get the best results, I got several of my first stamps with "bubbles" or divots in them, I think I didn't mash the pack down enough. But I think it's worth it to play with it to get it right, it's Just so cool to make your stamps

Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #99
Glitter Queen

To make stamps clearer (less pink) and drier on top, leave them a couple of minutes longer in the "post exposure" (after washing). Stamps will also be harder if you leave them longer. Don't put too much water in the tray or they will take longer to lose the stickiness on top - just use enough to just cover the stamp, no more.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #100
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

OK I thought I have done my research on this!!! Am i understanding this correctly..
I would have to print on transparencies to make stamps with the TCStampmaker?

lilypadsis Thanks for your feedback.. I will continue to watch you blog for your update
on this product.. I so asked for one of these for my birthday ..now maybe not..
I signed up for a yahoo group on this topic but I guess I haven't been paying attention..
maybe I could just buy a lot of stamps for a 150.00.
SallyB99 are you associated with this company?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #101
Glitter Queen

Hi LN, Yes I work for Photocentric and we are always available to help anyone who has any questions about this great tool. Making a stamp is simple. Use one of the negatives included first. Making your own negative (your artwork in black and white with the black and white inverted) can need a few minutes to check how to get your printer to print as black as it can. With a new printer, I choose 3 or 4 settings (eg. normal quality, photo paper matte, black ink only) and print a small black square. I hold this up to the light and check which is darkest, then use that setting to make negatives. You only need to do this once, then you're set. If you don't want to make a negative you can also use anything clear and opaque - a shape cut out of black cardstock, a piece of lace etc. as long as it lets light through to harden the polymer to make the image but stops it around the image, you can use it. Note that to make stencils, you can simply draw onto a transparency with a permanent black marker - for a stencil you do not need to make a negative of your image as the open parts of the stencil are the black on your design.
You can buy a lot of stamps for $150 but custom stamps typically cost around $40 each from a commercial stamp maker. Once you have your kit, refills are less than $3 each...
By commenting here, my aim is only to share information. If you prefer me not to, just let me know!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #102
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyB99 View Post
By commenting here, my aim is only to share information. If you prefer me not to, just let me know!

No! Not at all it was just a general question so do I have to print on transparence film?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #103
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LN View Post
No! Not at all it was just a general question so do I have to print on transparence film?
If you want to make a stamp with your own artwork from a computer, eg. a text stamp made in Word, yes you have to print a negative of it on film. The kit comes with 2 sheets of ink jet film and you can then buy packs of 10 sheets. This film has a coating that means it absorbs ink better than standard transparencies which may not work for making negatives.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #104
Pearl-ExPert

No Sally, your info has been VERY helpful!!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #105
Matboard Maniac

Default Samples of what I've done

Thought I share a couple of the stamps I've made...they're not the prettiest but they work just as good as the store bought ones and they're custom made for me.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #106
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Hi LN, Yes I work for Photocentric and we are always available to help anyone who has any questions about this great tool. Making a stamp is simple. Use one of the negatives included first. Making your own negative (your artwork in black and white with the black and white inverted) can need a few minutes to check how to get your printer to print as black as it can. With a new printer, I choose 3 or 4 settings (eg. normal quality, photo paper matte, black ink only) and print a small black square. I hold this up to the light and check which is darkest, then use that setting to make negatives. You only need to do this once, then you're set. If you don't want to make a negative you can also use anything clear and opaque - a shape cut out of black cardstock, a piece of lace etc. as long as it lets light through to harden the polymer to make the image but stops it around the image, you can use it. Note that to make stencils, you can simply draw onto a transparency with a permanent black marker - for a stencil you do not need to make a negative of your image as the open parts of the stencil are the black on your design.
You can buy a lot of stamps for $150 but custom stamps typically cost around $40 each from a commercial stamp maker. Once you have your kit, refills are less than $3 each...
So I couldn't find the return policy on the site when I purchased it, only to find out after that I can't return or exchange it, but only get the $80 credit towards the larger one because it's been used. However, the only thing I've used were two small polymer packs and one of the 2nd smallest only because CS asked me to make one with the sample transparency (which means that one was a waste anyway since they weren't stamps that I really would have used) and the other thing was the tray and brush. The actual stampmaker box was "used" but only to make that 3 tries and the bulbs can be removed so it's not heavily used at all, it's like paying $119.95 for the 3 pack of polymer and plastic box/brush that I have used. Why wouldn't the company make exceptions if a customer would be open to exchanging for the larger one?

It would be also helpful to have the return policy written here:
Photocentric Inc Stampmaking Kits and Custom Stamps - FAQ's

BTW - if someone wants to buy the one I have "used", let me know...
Old 02-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #107
Inking Addict

At least you can get your machine to light up! I'm still trying to get the darn thing to simply light. I will deal with the transparency issue next.

I bought my Imagepac from scrap-mart.com. It was cheaper than TC and since I didn't want her designs, I thought this would be the way to go. Of course, I cannot contact scrap-mart.com via phone as it is the weekend (and the time I would like to use it!)

SallyB99, can you help with the light problem? If I push the bulbs in anymore, they will go through to the backside.

I'm hopeful that I will be able to report back here tomorrow with my awesome and successful results!

(I think I just hi-jacked this thread. I'm sorry!)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #108
Glitter Queen

I had the lights not lighting up initially and thought it just didn't work. Then I took them out again and looked in it to make sure it went in the right way...and then push it all the way back. If you have it in wrong and try to push it all the way back, it still won't work.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #109
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to update on the transparencies. I tried using inkjet transparencies and they looked dark enough but when I tried to make a stamp it did not work. Oh well, need to order some sheets I guess Just wanted to save someone else the trouble of trying.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #110
Compulsive Stamper

Hi,
Odd question...Is the lightbox the same as the one used in nail salons? From the photos, it sure does look like it!

Lin
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #111
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kre8tiv1 View Post
Hi,
Odd question...Is the lightbox the same as the one used in nail salons? From the photos, it sure does look like it!

Lin
I was wondering this myself. There is also an exposure unit for jewelry resin and there is an earlier post saying that you can use this one to cure resin too.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #112
Glitter Queen

You could do your nails in it if you wished as well as cure your UV resin - it's a nice size for larger pieces of resin or to do several pieces together.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #113
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
You could do your nails in it if you wished as well as cure your UV resin - it's a nice size for larger pieces of resin or to do several pieces together.
Awesome! Now all I have to do is figure out how to do my nails like they do in the salon!

Are there any coupon codes for Photocentric? I want to order, but the shipping is a bit much.

Lin
Old 05-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #114
Cardstock Collector

Default Well darn

I got a TC stampmaker for Christmas and finally just broke it out. My printer seems to be doing a fabulous negative, but I still can't get a nice stamp. They come out sticky even after I scrub for a long time and they are always thinner in the middle even if i press and squish around the packs of gel for a long longggggg time to try to get them flat. I'm starting to wonder if my clamp thingy is not tight enough or something and maybe i'm not curing long enough or something?

So bummed! It seems like almost everyone else can get a nice stamp (even if they complain about stuff i don't care about like smell and all that), but i can't! I'm sure it's operator error, but I sure do wish I could make it work better!

any help out there for me?
Old 05-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #115
Cardstock Collector

Please disregard my previous message. I am a dufus and one of the bulbs wasn't seated quite right (and therefore not on) so I'm sure that's all it was. At least I finally figured it out!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #116
Inking Addict

You are not a dufus! I have STILL not gotten a decent stamp made. I have plowed through countless imagepac gel packs! The learning curve is just too expensive for me. I have given up. Now if I want a stamp, I just make it myself on my computer, print it off on the paper I want to use and save it in a file for future uses. It's not as fast but it certainly has saved my sanity! (well, what's left of my sanity from the paper oragami dress shirt template)

Happy to hear that there are people out there that are successful with it!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #117
Cardstock Collector

I'm actually kind of glad to hear that, thanks. Even though i have the bulbs seated right now, i still can't get a good stamp. It's so frustrating. I felt like I was the only one having so much trouble since I've seen lots of nice stamps made from the machine. I guess I'm kind of glad at least I'm not alone in having trouble with it.

I'm actually thinking maybe it needs to go up for sale, but I'll give it a few more shots first, I guess.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #118
Inking Addict

I'm not sure that I have ever seen a stamp made from this stamp machine, other than what's been shown on TV or youtube.

Anyone out there doing this successfully? I pictured myself drowning in polymer stamp images right about now. Instead, I am just drowning in a little sea of half baked gooey messes and a bunch of register receipts!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #119
Cardstock Collector

For what it's worth: I bought my machine a couple of months ago but really hadn't played much - the first batch of stamps came out sticky, gungy and very disappointing, and no matter how much I played with the settings, less time more time etc still a very gooey mess! but - as most of the problems from these things are usually down to the user I bought some more packs recently and tried again. I made my own designs, printed on my HP 7000 wide format inkjet printer, no tweaking at all; followed the instructions ( again) to the letter and surprise, surprise fabulous stamps!!! I think my first problems were really due to the material included with the kit as this time I made very fine lined stamps( from a digi download) , text stamps etc and they came out really well.
Respect the times, expose the gel pack to the light as briefly as possible before putting it in the machine; even if I don't have fine lines on the design I find that 'flashing' the design for 3 seconds( ie putting the clamp in gel side up) before baking it for 3 minutes really gives a good stamp.
I also found that the adhesive should go on the acrilic block not on the stamp( much more economic use!) as I had to wrestle my stamps off the block after use!!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #120
Cardstock Collector

I bought the Imagebox from Photocentric..oh, close to a year ago now. I love it for the most part - I purchased it because I ran an Etsy shop selling hand carved stamps and couldn't keep up with the demand. I needed a way to produce stamps at a quicker rate, and I LOVE not having to carve all day. There is definitely a learning curve when you first get the machine - and dark negatives are a MUST. I was lucky in that we already had a high-end printer at home and so the negatives weren't an issue. The next hurdle is exposure time..and that's the one I still find tricky. I'm wondering if anyone else using the Imagebox or Stampmaker finds inconsistencies from packet to packet with the polymer? I swear..the larger packets seems to be thicker than the smaller ones, despite the fact that they're supposed to be the same (I use the .100 thickness). The larger ones are also trickier to expose and the polymer tends to "migrate" more often (it flows a bit while exposing, ruining the stamps by making them slightly double imaged or just distorted). I've been doing this for a YEAR and still ruin a few packets weekly, it's driving me crazy!! Anyone else running into this?