Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #41
Die Cut Diva

Thank you for the booklet, Stamphappy!

This is what I am seeing with the Versafine, Susan. I love my Memento, but I am really excited about the Versafine. I just ordered some cubes in colors, just to play with it.

RachelRose Designs by Robin... GALLERY
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #42
Watercolor Wizard

Glad the Versafine seems to be working well for you! I'm not saying the Langton Premium hot press will perform differently from the stuff I use, by the way, I just can't say for sure since I haven't used it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
I love my Memento, but I am really excited about the Versafine. I just ordered some cubes in colors, just to play with it.
Versafine Onyx Black is the most opaque, densest black I've come across. I have the little cubes for all colours except black and Vintage Sepia - they last and last and again, give really good dense coverage and super-crisp impressions even with very detailed stamps, rubber or clear.

As for the resist effect - you're really not going to see that with black since it would just show through the DI application in any case. But yes, Versafine will resist water-based inks like Distress, SU! Classic, Adirondack etc so those coloured Versafine cubes you just ordered might be great used that way!

My blog
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #43
Die Cut Diva

Yes, that's what I was thinking when I ordered the colors.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #44
Watercolor Wizard

I forgot to say earlier - Versafine also resists bleach so you can stamp with Versafine over an area coloured with dye ink and then use bleach to remove colour from the stamped image without it having any effect on the clarity of the stamping. Really useful for things that would be fiddly to mask!

Couple of samples attached for you so you can see the effect. The first one has Memento markers scribbled onto acetate, spritzed with water and pressed onto card to make the background, overstamped with little fish in Versafine and the colour removed by painting a tiny bit of bleach over the fish. The second one I inked up a small acrylic block with Adirondack dye inks, spritzed with water and pressed directly onto the card then stamped the starfish and removed the colour with bleach.

You can colour over the bleached area if you want to - I've done it with Copics and with pencils. It would probably work fine with inks too providing the bleach reaction is completely finished and the surface is dry.

Other pigment inks will resist bleach too - I've used Brilliance the same way as the Versafine in the examples and there may be others!
Attached Thumbnails
casbluethanks.jpg   cassummercolours.jpg  

My blog
gregzgurl and micx like this post.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #45
Forum Fanatic

Great technique of using the bleach, Joanne - I hate the fiddle of masking so I will try your technique! Thanks for coming back and posting it.

My gallery is here should you care to look!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #46
Die Cut Diva

Joanne - those cards are really beautiful and thanks for including them because they make it so clear what you mean. So the Versafine-stamped stamps have open areas and by using the bleach you remove the underlying dye ink, as if you had cut a mask for the Versafine-stamped stamps and then used your dye ink over them. (Which in the case of your swimming fish card, would have been well nigh impossible.)

Great technique! I can think of quite a few stamps I have for which cutting a mask would be either a ridiculously fiddly affair or pretty much impossible.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #47
Insane Embellisher

Another hurray here for Versafine! Best black ink I've ever found, and the only one I use on wc paper. That being said, even Versafine won't completely cover all the little pits in the wc paper I've tried, although hot press is far better than cold.
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering if anyone ever tried the kind of ink used in woodcuts/linocuts or lithography? I can't remember the proper name of it, but I know it's thick and opaque and is spread using a brayer... I was thinking of that yesterday when my boys and I were trying to stamp tree silhouettes against the sky paintings we made on wc paper and the trees ended up being rather faint. I don't know if the kind of printmaking ink I'm thinking of would be ok to use on stamps, but it would be great to know if anyone else has tried it (or at least knows the right name for what I'm thinking of!)
Old 11-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #48
Embossing Fanatic

my go- to stamp pad for watercolour is Stewart Superior's India Black Ink. Fabulous stamp pad... I have had it for 8 years and it is still going strong. Dries immediately and leaves a crisp impression. I use mainly hot press 140 lb. Hot press is definitely the
better way for a good stamp impression. hth!!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #49
Watercolor Wizard

Glad the bleach tip looks to be useful for some people! Some ink colours don't bleach quite as successfully as others - it's worth a quick experiment on scrap if you're relying on a certain level of colour removal for your desired finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallupino View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering if anyone ever tried the kind of ink used in woodcuts/linocuts or lithography? I can't remember the proper name of it, but I know it's thick and opaque and is spread using a brayer...
It's usually just called lino printing ink or block printing ink. I haven't used it for years so can't say whether it works with stamps but I can't see why not - for things like silhouettes it would probably be great although it might be too "thick" to capture finer detail.

My blog
Old 11-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #50
Cardstock Collector

Here is a tutorial from Hero Arts on using paint to stamp
Hero Arts Techniques: Stamping with Acrylic paints
Old 11-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #51
Crimping Master

Sounds like you have solved your problem, but I have found Memories black (not to be confused with Memento) works well for me, especially if I turn the stamp upside down and press the paper into the stamp.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #52
Matboard Maniac

i agree with the earlier posters - versafine every time for me. you get great detail. i would also recommend a smooth w/c card - the one i use is the daler and rowney langton mould made ex smooth hot pressed.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #53
Compulsive Stamper

Default You're not weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
I know this is off topic, but... I love the smell of Stazon. Its kind of like a cherry almond smell. Reminds me of the Jergens hand lotion the old ladies use to use when I was a kid... But then again, I'm weird sometimes
I love the smell also and you came up with a really good analogy of the smell!!! memories!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:42 AM   #54
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
I forgot to say earlier - Versafine also resists bleach so you can stamp with Versafine over an area coloured with dye ink and then use bleach to remove colour from the stamped image without it having any effect on the clarity of the stamping. Really useful for things that would be fiddly to mask!

Couple of samples attached for you so you can see the effect. The first one has Memento markers scribbled onto acetate, spritzed with water and pressed onto card to make the background, overstamped with little fish in Versafine and the colour removed by painting a tiny bit of bleach over the fish. The second one I inked up a small acrylic block with Adirondack dye inks, spritzed with water and pressed directly onto the card then stamped the starfish and removed the colour with bleach.

You can colour over the bleached area if you want to - I've done it with Copics and with pencils. It would probably work fine with inks too providing the bleach reaction is completely finished and the surface is dry.

Other pigment inks will resist bleach too - I've used Brilliance the same way as the Versafine in the examples and there may be others!
I came to this thread to see which ink to use for some Christmas tags I'm going to be making that require watercolors, and now I have even more information for a fun new way to play! Thank you so much for this! Also, for validating my thought that my beloved Versafine Onyx Black was probably the way to go...

Old 10-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #55
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Archival will work but that's not a 'true black' to me, so when I want the outline to be a true black, I use Versafine Onyx Black and do not have any problems.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #56
Glitter Queen

I use a Tuxedo Black Memento Inkpad, it's waterproof. I make sure the ink pad is very juicy and have a refill on hand.

That being said - it ink isn't smudgeproof. I usually zap my images with a heat gun to make sure the ink is soaked down into the paper and let it sit for a few minutes before I begin coloring.

Watercolours should not be a problem, I tend to use flatter papers so that may be affecting it. Hot press papers are my favourite - cheapest one I've found is the Reeves Watercolor paper, best is the Arches Smooth 300gsm.

Prismacolor Markers - I have a love hate relationship with these markers. Even though something might be waterproof it seems sometimes the pigment formulation will make ink budge or bleed a little. I've since switched to Copic Markers and sold my prismacolors to someone who is going to be using them for manga fan art and it seems to work for them OK as long as they don't saturate the paper too much and use "manga" paper which is formulated for markers.

I'd recommend using Neenah Solar White or Copic Blending Card - just to be on the safe side - nice bleed resistant papers!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
I know this is off topic, but... I love the smell of Stazon. Its kind of like a cherry almond smell. Reminds me of the Jergens hand lotion the old ladies use to use when I was a kid... But then again, I'm weird sometimes
Also off topic, I love the smell of dry erase markers LOLLLLLL
Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #58

Quote:

Oh, this is new to me - thanks !!!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #59
Kookie Creator

I've been reading this thread and I am wondering if it is the paper and not the ink pads. I have many of the inks discussed here and was surprised they wouldn't work, especially the Memories India ink pad. My first thought was the pads aren't juicy enough but you said that was not the case. The Memories India ink is my go to black and have used it on watercolor paper several times.

Watercolor paper is treated with something called sizing, it helps it not buckle and warp as much. Maybe the sizing they used on that particular brand of paper is resisiting the inks, most watercoloring is done after the paper has been soaked in water which would release most of the sizing.

Good luck finding the "right" ink, it is so frustrating when you have an idea but run into problems making it work.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #60
Glitter Queen

Heart

Quote:

Wow. Those cards are amazing. Is there a tutorial on how to bleach dye inks? I would love to learn how to do this.