Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stamp Index

I've recently been trying to re-organize. I have SOOO many stamps that I've found "thousands" that I haven't even used. Thank goodness no duplicates yet, but...I have many duplicate images (how many pears does one person need)??

Anyway, I've seen a few "stamp indexes", where the images are stamped on reference pages so you can "flip thru" and find what you want. While this will take me FOREVER to do, but it seems like a great idea.

I'm looking for suggestions on HOW to do it. Bind-it-All? Rolodex? If you have one I'd love some pointers. Pictures would be GREAT!

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I basically use a 3 ring binder and page protectors. When I catalog a new stamp I use whatever printout that comes with the set. But when I first started cataloging them..........let's just say I was glad I horded all my old catalog's for some reason, LOL!

I have seen some where crafters will decorate what ever storage them catalog them in and it's real cute. I'm sure some will chime in here with some pic's! Good luck.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have mine in a hardback dollar store 4x6 picture album and I stamped on 4x6 plain index cards on the front and back. I made the tabs using the tab punch from SU. I carry with me to SU parties and to the stamp store so I don't duplicate. But, I do not have thousands-just hundreds!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have lots of stamps and they are all indexed and in 3 ring binders by category. I also have them numbered for cross reference and I know exactly where to find the stamp.

Here is a picture of one of the sets and the index page showing the reference number. I have also unmounted all of my Stampin Up sets. I use the index notebook all the time. Oh, something else that I have added recently is a separate index for all the sentiments so that I could look in one place for my choices on this. I used rolodex cards for this but I really wish I had used a notebook instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I currently have my sets all stamped onto 4x6 cards that I have in a binder. I am looking at redoing this method though since many of my larger stamps sets take up multiple cards. I would also like to start indexing by both set and category. I am trying to find the perfect size to use. I am thinking about doing a 5x7 size (or something similar) and using my bia to keep it all together. This size might be a little easier to bring places with me rather than the full size binder. In addition to indexing my stamps I would like to have my embossing folders and ink in the same booklet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDStampGirlView Post
I currently have my sets all stamped onto 4x6 cards that I have in a binder. I am looking at redoing this method though since many of my larger stamps sets take up multiple cards. I would also like to start indexing by both set and category. I am trying to find the perfect size to use. I am thinking about doing a 5x7 size (or something similar) and using my bia to keep it all together. This size might be a little easier to bring places with me rather than the full size binder. In addition to indexing my stamps I would like to have my embossing folders and ink in the same booklet.
Oh,,,I never thought of set and category. That's another consideration.

I did think about using my BIA but then there are new entries... :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I have mine indexed on 5x7 index cards and I keep them in recipe boxes that I've decorated up (Stamp Index Storage by 1chrystal at Splitcoaststampers).

Very few of my sets need more than 1 index card. I have them sorted by category and I have a category for ALL my sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1chrystalView Post
I have mine indexed on 5x7 index cards and I keep them in recipe boxes that I've decorated up (Stamp Index Storage by 1chrystal at Splitcoaststampers).

Very few of my sets need more than 1 index card. I have them sorted by category and I have a category for ALL my sentiments.
Do you mark your sentiments so you know which set it's in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I copy the sticker sheet that comes with the SU stamps. The older ones I print the index page off of SCS.
Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDStampGirlView Post
mine are on larger cards. cut myself. i number the cards and the stamp case.
i'm just passed 600 stampin up sets.
no i will never go unmounted-just scares me too much.
i don't have my cards in a binder-this way several girlfriends can search for the set they want
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am almost done indexing all my stamps. I went unmounted about a year ago and have since been slowly working towards cataloging all I have.

they are indexed on to 5x7 plain index card (walmart) that I put a single hole punch in the upper left hand corner, organized following the SU catalog since I have so many SU stamps. I made the divider tabs really bright cardstock and named them just like the SU...occasions, growing up, elements...etc. They are all together on one huge binder ring with a little ribbon to decorate. I have it hanging on the side of the bookcase my stamps (cd's) are stored in with a 30 lb picture hanger.

also, after all the sentiment stamps had been cataloged, I made a little section at the end that I stamped sentiments that came with other stamp sets, then in ink, I wrote down what stamp set it was from so if I was just looking for a "special sentiment" it would be easy to find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Do you mark your sentiments so you know which set it's in?
I actually "waste" a lot of index cards ( :0 ). I use 1 index card for each sets sentiments, and 1 card for all the images including sentiments. In the top right hand corner I label the company and the set name (or CD case name for my UM stamps).

I will post better inside pictures a little later today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacad2View Post
I copy the sticker sheet that comes with the SU stamps. The older ones I print the index page off of SCS.
Leslie
OH! That would save me so much time! I wouldn't have to stamp all my SU! sets. GREAT! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I actually "waste" a lot of index cards ( :0 ). I use 1 index card for each sets sentiments, and 1 card for all the images including sentiments. In the top right hand corner I label the company and the set name (or CD case name for my UM stamps).

I will post better inside pictures a little later today.
That would be great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
mine are on larger cards. cut myself. i number the cards and the stamp case.
i'm just passed 600 stampin up sets.
no i will never go unmounted-just scares me too much.
i don't have my cards in a binder-this way several girlfriends can search for the set they want
Oh my - I don't think I'd tackle unmounting either. Besides, I do like my wood blocks. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just started indexing my stamps to keep track of what I have. Like you I have stamps that I don't even know I had & I found that I was using the same sentiments because I didn't know what I had, I was wasting so much time looking for things. I'm still working on it but well worth the effort & the new stamp set that I buy now I will be copying the picture to put in the book. Here is a link for you to look at http://ritaslittlecorner.blogspot.co...l/Organization
Good Luck!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffyrs1View Post
I just started indexing my stamps to keep track of what I have. Like you I have stamps that I don't even know I had & I found that I was using the same sentiments because I didn't know what I had, I was wasting so much time looking for things. I'm still working on it but well worth the effort & the new stamp set that I buy now I will be copying the picture to put in the book. Here is a link for you to look at http://ritaslittlecorner.blogspot.co...l/Organization
Good Luck!
Thanks for the link!

I liked you index - but what I really liked was the punch key chain! I'm going to have to do that one too! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

The promised upload Sorry about the awful close up pics of the index cards. I couldn't get them not blurry and I tried several different settings, light sources and angles (Grrrrr!)

Index Card Box #1

Index Card Box #2

Sentiment Image Index Card

Image Index Card

Quote:

Good Luck!
I really like this idea. I think after I'm finished making my die cut/embossing folder index and the ink colour index I'll start re-indexing the sentiments this way. It definitely would be easier to have them by category, and I am loving the binder way for my ink colours and die cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The promised upload Sorry about the awful close up pics of the index cards. I couldn't get them not blurry and I tried several different settings, light sources and angles (Grrrrr!)

Index Card Box #1

Index Card Box #2

Sentiment Image Index Card

Image Index Card

I really like this idea. I think after I'm finished making my die cut/embossing folder index and the ink colour index I'll start re-indexing the sentiments this way. It definitely would be easier to have them by category, and I am loving the binder way for my ink colours and die cuts.
They may be blurry but I get the idea.

I also like the idea of an embossing folder index too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like the idea of the embossing folder index too. I'm going to get a lunch tin or use my CM small photo box (I have 2 so I will use 1 for the folders I think) to store my CB folders. I just ordered 9 more CB folders from Eclectic Paperie they had them for $2. I have so much organizing to do but it has to wait till after my son's wedding in October. I'm working on wedding stuff for now & that's taking up a lot of my time right now.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I like the idea of the embossing folder index too. I'm going to get a lunch tin or use my CM small photo box (I have 2 so I will use 1 for the folders I think) to store my CB folders. I just ordered 9 more CB folders from Eclectic Paperie they had them for $2. I have so much organizing to do but it has to wait till after my son's wedding in October. I'm working on wedding stuff for now & that's taking up a lot of my time right now.
OH! You have my sympathies - I just finished 100 wedding invitations for my niece (she's getting married in Jan). :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm doing the wedding program folders, favors & picture frames with the table numbers on them. I luv doing things like this, it's so much fun for me.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'm doing the wedding program folders, favors & picture frames with the table numbers on them. I luv doing things like this, it's so much fun for me.
My sister was here over the summer (it's her daughter). She claims not to be "crafty" but we had such fun doing the invites! Truly a gift from the heart!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Oh, you ladies are so organized! I'm a newbie and still have less than 100 stamps, but I can already see the need to catalog them...I waste so much time looking for things. You all have such wonderful ideas. I'm going to go organize now...before the collection grows.
My gallery ~ My Blog ~ My website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorrindaView Post
Oh, you ladies are so organized! I'm a newbie and still have less than 100 stamps, but I can already see the need to catalog them...I waste so much time looking for things. You all have such wonderful ideas. I'm going to go organize now...before the collection grows.
Good luck Lorrinda...it's well worth the effort! No more wasted time looking for that certain stamp!!! I luv it!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Cataloguing stamps

I have catalogued all my stamps on my computer - I scan all the index sheets from my SU stamps, and anytime I buy new stamps I either take a pic of the stamp or find the image on the manufacturer's website (I couldn't bear the idea of having to stamp them all!). I then added tags (categories) to each of the image files (by updating the file properties in Windows Explorer), and I use a very handy feature in Vista (which is also available in Windows 7) to group the images by the tags. Where a stamp or a set falls into more than one category, it will be shown under each category. When I sell stamps (which I do periodically), this makes it very easy to have an up to date catalogue as I just remove the pics of the sold stamps. It took a little while to set up, but it was so worth it! I also use all my SU sets and wheels unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use index cards and an index card box. Each stamp is stamped on an index card, the card is filed in the box according to category. Pretty straight foward, compact and easy for me to pull out and flip through what I want to use. It really makes it easy to find inspiration, too.

I only have a couple of hundred rubber stamps so in your case, you might want to use a whole index box on each category.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiGView Post
I have catalogued all my stamps on my computer - I scan all the index sheets from my SU stamps, and anytime I buy new stamps I either take a pic of the stamp or find the image on the manufacturer's website (I couldn't bear the idea of having to stamp them all!). I then added tags (categories) to each of the image files (by updating the file properties in Windows Explorer), and I use a very handy feature in Vista (which is also available in Windows 7) to group the images by the tags. Where a stamp or a set falls into more than one category, it will be shown under each category. When I sell stamps (which I do periodically), this makes it very easy to have an up to date catalogue as I just remove the pics of the sold stamps. It took a little while to set up, but it was so worth it! I also use all my SU sets and wheels unmounted.
I love the idea of an electronic index! It would save room too.

I guess the only down fall would be know what size the stamp really is. Still it's something to consider.

TFS!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcorderView Post
I love the idea of an electronic index! It would save room too.

I guess the only down fall would be know what size the stamp really is. Still it's something to consider.

TFS!! :mrgreen:
I don't have any SU sets however I have found pictures of most of my stamps on line and put them on an EXCEL sheet and a "Stamp Inventory" folder on my computer with separate folders for each company under that section and then photos of each stamp/stamp set. Size is an issue however some companies put the sizes up as well and I have copied a thumbnail of these over to my sheets which include stamp name, manufacturer, cost, etc all just copied and pasted from the venders.

Much easier to find pictures of my stamps and sets and save than to drag everything out and use up my ink and supplies.

I can still organize it how I want and add information without messing up what I have already done. I needed the flexibility until I have collected all the information and decided what would be most useful for me. At that point I will print it out for a hard copy, well maybe :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Received 180 Likes on 121 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiGView Post
I have to look into how to do the tag thing, great way to flip through quickly.

I already scan all stamps on the computer as I get them, most are SU so I scan before mounting. I also print out a copy for the box so I know what goes in each set and a 8.5x11 copy for a binder that you can flip through.
I must say I use the computer to look through the stamp sets when I want to work on a project, much more handier than the binder for me.

I would love to categorize these images, thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes