Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:02 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Spellbinders Wizard/Sizzix Big Shot

Hi,

I would like to buy either the Spellbinders Wizard or the Sizzix Big Shot. I would appreciate input from those of you out there who have either one or both of these die cut systems. What do you like or dislike about these two machines. Thank you!

Debbie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I just bought the Stampin' Up! Big Shot and I really like it. I had placed an order for a Wizard but they are having some recall problems and I cancelled my order. I think that the Wizard has more of an up/down motion when you cut and the Big Shot is just a handle you crank.

Now I have never used the Wizard but I love the Nestabilities. I have used my Big Shot so much and find it easy to use/move, my only complaint would be price of dies but that's with any die cut machine.

Maybe someone else who has a Wizard can tell you what they like?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Big Shot talk: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Machine comparison talk: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Wizard talk: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

There are a TON of threads on die cutting machines, and compatibility between them, yadda yadda, over in the Tools & Products Forum:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I have a Big Shot; stability and handle worked best for my bum arm/hand. Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was lucky enough to find a Wizard for $10 (yea, me! A scrap store was going out of business and selling their classroom stuff!). I was SO tired of messing with the sandwiches for the Nesties with a Cuttlebug that I was actually considering purchasing a Wizard at full retail...eek! I have not tried the Big Shot with the nesties, but I know that overall the Big Shot is my current "wanna have" machine. It's just a bit bigger and yet easier to crank things through than the other machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I love my Big Kick which is pretty much the same as the Big Shot. I use it for so many things. I just made a card using the new Top Note making the die into the card by cutting two and gluing them together at the top so that I have the entire image as the card. The only draw back is that I can't suction it to the table top. I have a piece of glass on the top of my work table which should help, but it doesn't. My Side Kick does suction. I'm with Julie that the crank is much easier on my wrist. (We should do a survey of how many of us stamp with bum hands/wrists/arms.) We are a persevering group of artists.
Attached Thumbnails
Spellbinders Wizard/Sizzix Big Shot-jody-bought-top-note-die-9-3-08.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShariWView Post
I love my Big Kick which is pretty much the same as the Big Shot. I use it for so many things. I just made a card using the new Top Note making the die into the card by cutting two and gluing them together at the top so that I have the entire image as the card. The only draw back is that I can't suction it to the table top. I have a piece of glass on the top of my work table which should help, but it doesn't. My Side Kick does suction. I'm with Julie that the crank is much easier on my wrist. (We should do a survey of how many of us stamp with bum hands/wrists/arms.) We are a persevering group of artists.
Hey, pretty card! I love that die. I want it in the worst way, BUT . . . I could have SWORN I saw that Spellbinders is coming out with a nested set of that particular shape, and I am on the hunt!!! I know they won't cut through chipboard, but, for the variety of sizes at that price, I think I could spring for both the Bigz and the Nestabilities version . . . heh, heh, heh! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I can't wait till my big shot arrives! I have the big kick and am ready for something different!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Wizard and a BigKick (exact same insides as the Big Shot, don't let anybody tell you different!! This comes direct from Sizzix). I prefer the BigKick because it has a flat platform to hold the die both going into the rollers and exiting the rollers. It always feels like a balancing act with the Wzard because there isn't much support. I feel like I am trying to hang onto a fat sandwich of mats, plates, etc (and praying the paper won't shift) and trying to hold the machine in place with one hand and turning the handle with the other. The sandwich exits in mid-air and has gone flying into the air more than once. Go look at the photo of the machine at spellbinders, you will see what I mean. BUT, I love the Spellbinders dies - nestabilities are awesome.

BTW don't let anyone tell you the Stampin' UP Big Shot is better or exclusive. This is copied directly from Big Shot Q & A at the Stampin' Up Demonstrator website:
. Is the Big Shot exclusive to Stampin’ Up!?
No, the Big Shot machine is not exclusive to Stampin’ Up! However, the Big Shot produced for Stampin’ Up! features a handle color as well as a beautiful logo that are not available on any other version of the Big Shot. In addition to the hundreds of dies already available through Sizzix, we’ve created dies exclusive to Stampin’ Up! And, as we continue to develop this product line, you’ll see more and more Stampin’ Up! exclusive dies.

ALso I an on a list where a weight comparison was done between the SU version and retail version - THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME WEIGHT. Some demos have been claiming the SU version is lighter or heavier.

What is true is that Stampin' Up has exclusive dies and a demonstrator to show you how to use it and maybe even offer classes. The platforms, cutting mats and crease pad are available at the big box stores but they might or might not have the item when you need it. Several months ago I bought one of the long dies and extended cutting mats which was the only extended item they had. When I wanted to use it I discovered there is also an extended platform. I made do with the regular platform, but it was a hassle to run it through twice and the paper often shifted in the process. Wasted some time and paper.

Last edited by stricklandpm; 09-10-2008 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: missed some information
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting for the the new "Slice" to make it's debut in October. I am saving my pennies as it seems like a pretty good deal for all that's included. It is less expensive then the Cricut and by watching the videos of it seems to be a pretty good machine for cardmakers. What do you ladies think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way I have the old Sizzix and the Cuttlebug too. LoVe tHeM!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the BigKick, CuttleBug and SideKick.

I had a Sizzix, but hated the pushing down and moving the plate all the time. I tried the Wizard at my friends and I don't like the ratchet pushing down on it either. I wanted something smooth rolling and easier to use

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Does anyone have a Zip 'eMate? Where can I find accessories for it. I have almost chewed thru the cutting plate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm not sure you can find parts for the Zip'e any longer. Try evil bay (ebay). My friend just gave hers to the pre-school.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Cuttlebug is the best because it is cheaper, takes almost all die cut brands on the market, plus it has dry embossing foldsers that can be bought to use with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani DView Post
I can't wait till my big shot arrives! I have the big kick and am ready for something different!
Well, I hope you love your Big Shot but I don't think you're going to see much difference between that and your Big Kick. They are basically the same machine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 04:31 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

BIGkick and BigShot are the same machine, just different shapes and colors. Both use the same accessories for operation of either machine. Much sturdier than the Cuttlebug.

boobalet.....The Cuttlebug embossing folders can be used in other machines than just the Cuttlebug too.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I've got a Wizard that I love. Having something that will hold up was important to me because I am very hard on my tools. The Wizard is all metal construction, so that made it a no-brainer for me. I know that I can push this machine to it's limits and not be concerned.

There are a number of good machines out there. You have to decide what you want to use it for and how much you are willing to spend.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Julie PLEASE Share with me if you find those nesties....I love the nesties and would love to purchase that shape if its available!!

Vickie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #19  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillsmomView Post
Julie PLEASE Share with me if you find those nesties....I love the nesties and would love to purchase that shape if its available!!

Vickie
I just inquired about these and there is a delay in manufacturing and they should be heading out towards the end of September to Spellbinders and then to us shortly after sometime in October.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
I just inquired about these and there is a delay in manufacturing and they should be heading out towards the end of September to Spellbinders and then to us shortly after sometime in October.

Thanks, AJ.

I have to admit, tho, I really wish they were available now; I'm an impatient wretch . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hi gals,
I have the big shot, it was a gift otherwise I would not buy a machine that would make me spend lots of $$to use it...that said I love it! I use the big ellison dies and the sizzix originals, cuttlebug, sizlits and most any consumer grade dies (I borrowed a professional accucut die from my lss and it was too thick) you can even emboss with it using fiskars texture plates (way eaiser than using a stylus and your paper comes out flat not curls and wonky) and any brass stencil! I have a tutorial on my blog if you want to know how:
http://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.co...that-big-shot/
you can also flatten bottlecaps with it, by using 2 peices of Masonite as the plates and cranking them through with the spacer and if you happen to crack the plates a scrap of masonite will get youby in a pinch! I cut felt, matboard and chipboard with mine so I buy dies that I plan to use alot with those materails such as bookplates, frames and flowers. It's a great machine and very versitle! Their is a tutorial over at scrapfriends where a ladt conditioned polymer clay with hers! I have a cricut too and I still use the Big shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 03:54 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Default Top Note die - how to make a folded card

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShariWView Post
I just made a card using the new Top Note making the die into the card by cutting two and gluing them together at the top so
Hey you don't have to glue it! If you fold cardstock that is twice the size of the die, and a little bigger you can cut a folded card. Lay the lolded edge slightly to the inside of the curve of the die rule edge, so the rule will not cut that area. Run it through as usual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani DView Post
Well then, you have wasted your money. :( They are the same thing except for the cover. I hope you didn't do that because a demo convinced you they are different. If so, you should return it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I love, love, love my Wizard! It is so versatile and easy to use. The dies are spectacular and detailed. The embossing they create is fantastic. You can press flowers, use polymer or paper clay in the dies. I could go on and on. I'll never invest in another machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 01:08 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Nestabilities are now carried at Hobby Lobby and you can use 40% coupon which helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #26  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribing.. I was told by my LSS that there is recall - or difficulties with the new red wizard - which I would like to purchase - anyone know anything about that???

Thanks in advance!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

YUCK......Delay in the Spellbinders dies shaped like the Top Note!

I ran my new Top Note last night through both my CB and my BigKick, works great in both machines...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Hey, pretty card! I love that die. I want it in the worst way, BUT . . . I could have SWORN I saw that Spellbinders is coming out with a nested set of that particular shape, and I am on the hunt!!! I know they won't cut through chipboard, but, for the variety of sizes at that price, I think I could spring for both the Bigz and the Nestabilities version . . . heh, heh, heh! :cool:
They have another cool shape coming as well. I think I like that one a little better and am looking forward to getting it when it becomes available.
Reply With Quote Likes