In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #81
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Default Cutting 1/8 inch dies

HI!! I just bought my first set of nestabilites, and it is driving me nutso! I have a big shot, and I used the black embossing mat, and noticed that it cut a line in it (not all the way through) is that normal? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to cut 1/8 inch for matting purposes...any one out there can help me? I tried cutting 4 of them but it came out all crooked....do i need a magnet platform so it doesn't move around?? Please help, i'm up at 2:40 in the morning trying to figure this out..maybe thats the problem! I should be asleep! Thanks fo your help in advance
Scrapingfreak is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #82
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Default Cutting 1/8 inch dies

HI!! I just bought my first set of nestabilites, and it is driving me nutso! I have a big shot, and I used the black embossing mat, and noticed that it cut a line in it (not all the way through) is that normal? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to cut 1/8 inch for matting purposes...any one out there can help me? I tried cutting 4 of them but it came out all crooked....do i need a magnet platform so it doesn't move around?? Please help, i'm up at 2:40 in the morning trying to figure this out..maybe thats the problem! I should be asleep! Thanks fo your help in advance
Scrapingfreak is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #83
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Default How to cut 1/8 inch dies

HI!! I just bought my first set of nestabilites, and it is driving me nutso! I have a big shot, and I used the black embossing mat, and noticed that it cut a line in it (not all the way through) is that normal? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to cut 1/8 inch for matting purposes...any one out there can help me? I tried cutting 4 of them but it came out all crooked....do i need a magnet platform so it doesn't move around?? Please help, i'm up at 2:40 in the morning trying to figure this out..maybe thats the problem! I should be asleep! Thanks fo your help in advance
Scrapingfreak is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #84
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Default how to cut 1/8 inch dies with nestabilites

HI!! I just bought my first set of nestabilites, and it is driving me nutso! I have a big shot, and I used the black embossing mat, and noticed that it cut a line in it (not all the way through) is that normal? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to cut 1/8 inch for matting purposes...any one out there can help me? I tried cutting 4 of them but it came out all crooked....do i need a magnet platform so it doesn't move around?? Please help, i'm up at 2:40 in the morning trying to figure this out..maybe thats the problem! I should be asleep! Thanks fo your help in advance
Scrapingfreak is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #85
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Default

Sorry!!! I didn't mean to post it 4 times!!! It was taking FOREVER so I kept going back, and refreshing and, submiting....I don't know how to delete it :/ so so sorry!
Scrapingfreak is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #86
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
 
Wendybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SLC (Stampin' Like Crazy! hehehe!)
Posts: 29,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapingfreak View Post
HI!! I just bought my first set of nestabilites, and it is driving me nutso! I have a big shot, and I used the black embossing mat, and noticed that it cut a line in it (not all the way through) is that normal? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to cut 1/8 inch for matting purposes...any one out there can help me? I tried cutting 4 of them but it came out all crooked....do i need a magnet platform so it doesn't move around?? Please help, i'm up at 2:40 in the morning trying to figure this out..maybe thats the problem! I should be asleep! Thanks fo your help in advance
Let's see if I can address everything you posted ...

First of all, here are the "official" stacking sandwich recipes from the Spellbinders website:

Big ShotTM (Black & Pink) by Ellison-Sizzix® and Big ShotTM for Stampin Up by Sizzix®
This machine is capable of cutting and embossing any Spellbinders Die. You will need Spellbinders two Tan Embossing Mats to cut and emboss in the Big ShotTM machine. Cutting Sandwich - (Stack from bottom up)
1. Place large platform down first with all tabs closed.
2. Place Spellbinders die face up, (that would mean ridges or bumpy side up).
3. Place card stock on Spellbinders die.
4. Place two Big ShotTM acrylic mats on top of cardstock.
5. Roll thru Big ShotTM machine to die cut shape.

Embossing Spellbinders Dies in the Big ShotTM by Ellison-Sizzix® and Big ShotTM for Stampin Up by Sizzix® Embossing Sandwich-(Stack from bottom up)
1. After cutting, remove acrylic mats from cardstock and die.
Leave the Spellbinders die in place with paper die cut out still in the die on the multi-purpose platform.
2. Place TWO Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mats on top of die.
3. With one piece of 12x6 card stock tri-fold for a shim and place on top of the Tan Embossing Mats.
4. Place ONE Big Shot acrylic plate on top and run thru the Big Shot machine.

These sandwiches are the ones they (Spellbinders) came up with for "optimum" results. However, I am sure you can achieve similar results using the black embossing mat. Anyone have a sandwich that has worked for them using it? If so, please let us know! I may fiddle with it a bit and see what I can come up with ...

Okay, so now you say you have issues with the black embossing mat CUTTING into your cardstock? Hmmm....I am not sure I understand. Is it actually cutting a line or just embossing one? I may need a bit of clarification on that one.

Next, in order to achieve the 1/8" mat, you will need to have BOTH the large and small sets of circles (or whatever shaped you are cutting). Each set, by itself, nests in 1/4" increments. If you have BOTH sets in any particular shape you can use them together (for example take the large circle from each set) to achieve the 1/8" mat.

Lastly, in order to keep the die from "slipping" ... use a piece of "removable" tape (i.e. stick a piece of scotch tape to the back of your hand and then peel it off ... it has now got the "removable" feature going on!). Tape the die in place (to the cardstock) before rolling it through the Big Shot. Then it will just peel off after you have cut and/or embossed your cardstock.

Hope this helps. I know it is a LOT of info, but ya asked a LOT of questions!!
__________________
*Wendy*
Stalkin' with Two Left Feet!
My Gallery
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Wendybell is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #87
Watercolor Wizard
 
terry0926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Caledonia, WI
Posts: 8,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiemom23cs View Post
I know this will sound silly, but put a piece of waxed paper on the die and then your cardstock. Cut/emboss as you normally would and your pendant will come out so good. Try it and tell us how it worked!!
This technique did not work for me.....the center piece still gets stuck and I can not remove it without it tearing.......any other tips before I put it away and never use it again?? Very frustrating
__________________
Terry
My Blog
terry0926 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 AM   #88
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nottoocreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 10,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry0926 View Post
This technique did not work for me.....the center piece still gets stuck and I can not remove it without it tearing.......any other tips before I put it away and never use it again?? Very frustrating
Is it just this one die that you are having trouble with? I found I had to shim things more than I expected--even if they worked the first time. I guess the Cuttlebug can get looser? I don't know if that helps you, but thought I'd throw it out there...
__________________
Lynn

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
nottoocreative is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #89
Watercolor Wizard
 
terry0926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Caledonia, WI
Posts: 8,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
Is it just this one die that you are having trouble with? I found I had to shim things more than I expected--even if they worked the first time. I guess the Cuttlebug can get looser? I don't know if that helps you, but thought I'd throw it out there...
Yep. it's just the smaller center die (Fleur de Lis) that I can't get the paper out of. I have a system with the large die...and that works fine. I haven't tried the 2 accent pieces yet, so I don't know if those will get stuck. The 2 larger pieces cut fine with rotating 90 degrees and a second pass, it's just getting the paper out aftward in one piece that is my trouble. I am ready to give up.
__________________
Terry
My Blog
terry0926 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #90
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Default

hahah thanks a ton wendybell!! Ya that was a lot of questions!! I was able to emboss but it wasn't a very deep impression...and as for cutting through the black rubber thingy, it did cut it cuz I had the ridge facing up? Maybe if it was facing down? But the interesting thing is, it didn't cut the whole square....just the top of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendybell View Post
Let's see if I can address everything you posted ...

First of all, here are the "official" stacking sandwich recipes from the Spellbinders website:

Big ShotTM (Black & Pink) by Ellison-Sizzix® and Big ShotTM for Stampin Up by Sizzix®
This machine is capable of cutting and embossing any Spellbinders Die. You will need Spellbinders two Tan Embossing Mats to cut and emboss in the Big ShotTM machine. Cutting Sandwich - (Stack from bottom up)
1. Place large platform down first with all tabs closed.
2. Place Spellbinders die face up, (that would mean ridges or bumpy side up).
3. Place card stock on Spellbinders die.
4. Place two Big ShotTM acrylic mats on top of cardstock.
5. Roll thru Big ShotTM machine to die cut shape.

Embossing Spellbinders Dies in the Big ShotTM by Ellison-Sizzix® and Big ShotTM for Stampin Up by Sizzix® Embossing Sandwich-(Stack from bottom up)
1. After cutting, remove acrylic mats from cardstock and die.
Leave the Spellbinders die in place with paper die cut out still in the die on the multi-purpose platform.
2. Place TWO Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mats on top of die.
3. With one piece of 12x6 card stock tri-fold for a shim and place on top of the Tan Embossing Mats.
4. Place ONE Big Shot acrylic plate on top and run thru the Big Shot machine.

These sandwiches are the ones they (Spellbinders) came up with for "optimum" results. However, I am sure you can achieve similar results using the black embossing mat. Anyone have a sandwich that has worked for them using it? If so, please let us know! I may fiddle with it a bit and see what I can come up with ...

Okay, so now you say you have issues with the black embossing mat CUTTING into your cardstock? Hmmm....I am not sure I understand. Is it actually cutting a line or just embossing one? I may need a bit of clarification on that one.

Next, in order to achieve the 1/8" mat, you will need to have BOTH the large and small sets of circles (or whatever shaped you are cutting). Each set, by itself, nests in 1/4" increments. If you have BOTH sets in any particular shape you can use them together (for example take the large circle from each set) to achieve the 1/8" mat.

Lastly, in order to keep the die from "slipping" ... use a piece of "removable" tape (i.e. stick a piece of scotch tape to the back of your hand and then peel it off ... it has now got the "removable" feature going on!). Tape the die in place (to the cardstock) before rolling it through the Big Shot. Then it will just peel off after you have cut and/or embossed your cardstock.

Hope this helps. I know it is a LOT of info, but ya asked a LOT of questions!!
Scrapingfreak is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #91
Hardware Hotshot
 
debbiemom23cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry0926 View Post
Yep. it's just the smaller center die (Fleur de Lis) that I can't get the paper out of. I have a system with the large die...and that works fine. I haven't tried the 2 accent pieces yet, so I don't know if those will get stuck. The 2 larger pieces cut fine with rotating 90 degrees and a second pass, it's just getting the paper out aftward in one piece that is my trouble. I am ready to give up.
Terry,

So the center piece of the Fleur De Lis is the one giving you problems? I don't have that die yet. I do use a push pin to get the cardstock out of some of my more stubborn dies. I will ask around to see if others have any tips.

Smiles,
__________________
Debbie Seyer
Design Team Member for The Rubber Cafe', The Paper Loft and Craft Hoarders Anonymous!
My Blog- A Peek Into My Stamping Room
debbiemom23cs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #92
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Kimberly Crawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IA
Posts: 587
Default

Hi Debbie!

I use my paper piercer for the little tiny pieces, but have found that my Scor Pal tool is great for gently pushing out the larger pieces. HTH.


Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiemom23cs View Post
Terry,

So the center piece of the Fleur De Lis is the one giving you problems? I don't have that die yet. I do use a push pin to get the cardstock out of some of my more stubborn dies. I will ask around to see if others have any tips.

Smiles,
__________________
My Blog For the Love of Paper

MFT Design Team
Paper Crafts and Scrapbooking Go-To-Gal
Kimberly Crawford is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #93
Watercolor Wizard
 
terry0926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Caledonia, WI
Posts: 8,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiemom23cs View Post
Terry,

So the center piece of the Fleur De Lis is the one giving you problems? I don't have that die yet. I do use a push pin to get the cardstock out of some of my more stubborn dies. I will ask around to see if others have any tips.

Smiles,
Thanks ladies! I will try both methods...push pins and paper piercer....I have both. I will let you know if it works!
__________________
Terry
My Blog
terry0926 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #94
Matboard Maniac
 
Diane Schulte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 424
Default

Subbing to find.
__________________
~~Diane~~

Fan Club Member
Diane Schulte is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #95
Mad Swapper
 
craftygirl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,827
Default

I don't have the tan embossing mat for my nestabilities because I didn't know I needed one. So, since necessity is the mother of invention, I started trying different things to get my shapes to be embossed as well as cut. I have this huge roll of wax paper that I hardly ever use (and only for crafting). I thought I'd try and use a piece folded in 4 to emboss the cs and it worked. Granted the die also cut the wax paper but with so many feet of this wax paper I could be embossing for a very long time.
craftygirl04 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #96
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2
Question Avoiding embossing lines with the Nestabilities

I use the Big shot or Cuttlebug with my nestabilities. Without using the foam mat I still get faint embossing lines around the die cuts. Is there away to avoid this? Thanks
queenladybug is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #97
Stazon Splitcoast
 
smadson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21,146
Default

I haven't had time to read all of this, but thank you! I am learning to use the spellbinders in my cuddlebug, and have found this site very helpful! I went to the video that was on first blog. That is how I learned. Thank you, thank you!

smadson
__________________
Sharon
♥♥♥
BLOG: Foxy Stamping
Proud Fan Club Member
Scrapbook Goal 2014 61/60 See them Here
S2S 2014: -$152.90
smadson is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #98
Gabfest Goddess
 
Kduff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,019
Default

So many wonderful questions answered, thank you
Kduff is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #99
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 469
Default

Has anyone else had trouble with some of the Labels dies not cutting cleanly? I think the ones I am having issues with are Labels 1 and 4. They cut out the shape, but then I have to sand the edges to get a good clean edge. I am using the Big Shot using either smooth white cardstock or Bazzill, and don't have that problem on most of the others - is there something I can do with these to make them cut cleaner?

Also, what's the secret to using the Impressabilities in the Big Shot. So far, I am NOT impressed (pun intended!).

TIA
__________________
~Jackie

Just Stamp It!Addicted to Pens and Paper
ShortWizard is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #100
Hardware Hotshot
 
debbiemom23cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortWizard View Post
Has anyone else had trouble with some of the Labels dies not cutting cleanly? I think the ones I am having issues with are Labels 1 and 4. They cut out the shape, but then I have to sand the edges to get a good clean edge. I am using the Big Shot using either smooth white cardstock or Bazzill, and don't have that problem on most of the others - is there something I can do with these to make them cut cleaner?

Also, what's the secret to using the Impressabilities in the Big Shot. So far, I am NOT impressed (pun intended!).

TIA
When embossing are you using the Tan Embossing mat? If so, you may need a shim of cereal weight cardboard. Every machine is different so you may have to experiment.

The clean edge problem could be your cutting plates. I had a Big Shot before I was picked to be on the Spellbinders Design Team and I notice my Nestabilities didn't cut as well when my acrylic plates were really bowed and worn. This was just what I experienced, maybe someone else has another idea.
__________________
Debbie Seyer
Design Team Member for The Rubber Cafe', The Paper Loft and Craft Hoarders Anonymous!
My Blog- A Peek Into My Stamping Room
debbiemom23cs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #101
Hardware Hotshot
 
debbiemom23cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyestitch View Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between the classic ovals/scalloped ovals and the petite ovals/scalloped ovals? How do any of these compare to the SU oval punches and scallop oval punch?

Here is a picture of the Classic & Scalloped Ovals Lg. (left side) beside the Petite Scalloped/Classic Ovals Lg.(right side) As you can see, they are very different. This is the smallest die in each set.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1835.jpg  
__________________
Debbie Seyer
Design Team Member for The Rubber Cafe', The Paper Loft and Craft Hoarders Anonymous!
My Blog- A Peek Into My Stamping Room

Last edited by debbiemom23cs; 11-09-2009 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Add more text
debbiemom23cs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #102
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 188
Default

Question for Debbie!


I want to get a few "cookie cutter" dies from quickutz to use in my wizard. The problem is the dies are longer than the cutting mats. Do you know if I could cut them partially then advance them down the mats and run them through again to finish the cut? I am not sure if the force of the machine would damage the dies when it shoots out. I hope that Spellbinders will put out a 12" cutting mat so the Wizard could be more versatile!

Thanks for any info you can provide!
amydav is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #103
Hardware Hotshot
 
debbiemom23cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydav View Post
Question for Debbie!


I want to get a few "cookie cutter" dies from quickutz to use in my wizard. The problem is the dies are longer than the cutting mats. Do you know if I could cut them partially then advance them down the mats and run them through again to finish the cut? I am not sure if the force of the machine would damage the dies when it shoots out. I hope that Spellbinders will put out a 12" cutting mat so the Wizard could be more versatile!

Thanks for any info you can provide!
I have never used any Quickutz dies but I looked at the cookie cutter border dies on their website. They look like the Spellbinders 12" Grand Border dies to me.

When using the Spellbinders 12" grand dies, if you don't have the Grand Cut Mat Kit (12" x 3 1/2"), you cut/emboss and then turn it and cut/emboss the other half. When running this thru my machine, I make sure that the part of the die that is sticking out is facing away from me. Make sense? Let me know if you need any help.
__________________
Debbie Seyer
Design Team Member for The Rubber Cafe', The Paper Loft and Craft Hoarders Anonymous!
My Blog- A Peek Into My Stamping Room
debbiemom23cs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #104
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 188
Default

You are very helpful! The actual dies I am looking at getting are the Santa's Workshop kit. They have a few dies that are long, open in the middle like spellbinders nesties. I was hoping to do what you suggested but was afraid that it may bend the dies as they come out of the machine. They are not solid like the grand dies ( I guess I could have given you this info before). I would have to use the regular mats with these. So, if you happen to suggest doing the same with these then, I want to make sure the end of the die that is sticking out past my mat is facing the back end ( not the end I put into the rollers) ? Sorry for being a pain!
amydav is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #105
Hardware Hotshot
 
debbiemom23cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydav View Post
You are very helpful! The actual dies I am looking at getting are the Santa's Workshop kit. They have a few dies that are long, open in the middle like spellbinders nesties. I was hoping to do what you suggested but was afraid that it may bend the dies as they come out of the machine. They are not solid like the grand dies ( I guess I could have given you this info before).
I'm not sure if these dies will bend or not, since I have never used them. Sorry. Maybe someone else on the SCS board will know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydav View Post
I would have to use the regular mats with these. So, if you happen to suggest doing the same with these then, I want to make sure the end of the die that is sticking out past my mat is facing the back end ( not the end I put into the rollers) ? Sorry for being a pain!
You are not a pain! And yes turn the mats to the part of the die sticking out is facing opposite of the rollers. Hard to explain! HTH I just can't answer too much about Quickutz dies, sorry.
__________________
Debbie Seyer
Design Team Member for The Rubber Cafe', The Paper Loft and Craft Hoarders Anonymous!
My Blog- A Peek Into My Stamping Room
debbiemom23cs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #106
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nottoocreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 10,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiemom23cs View Post
Here is a picture of the Classic & Scalloped Ovals Lg. (left side) beside the Petite Scalloped/Classic Ovals Lg.(right side) As you can see, they are very different. This is the smallest die in each set.
whoa...that's a shame, because I like the shape of the regular ones but the size of the petite ones! I was looking at some sets in the store this weekend, and wondered how the smallest one would ever get used, in some of them. Too tiny for even a saying like "thank you." Maybe a monogram LOL
__________________
Lynn

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
nottoocreative is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #107
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 469
Default

Thanks, Debbie. I tried it with the tan mat and 4 cardstock shims and got better results. I think I am expecting too much - it's not going to give as deep an impression as the CB folders, I'm sure. I will try the Nesties with a less warped plate and see if that helps, too.
__________________
~Jackie

Just Stamp It!Addicted to Pens and Paper
ShortWizard is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #108
Matboard Maniac
 
CamD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 313
Default

I'm considering the Flourish Shapeabilities dies. I would appreciated your views of this set. Is this a good investment?
__________________
Cammie

My Blog http://sweetvioletspaperie.blogspot.com
CamD is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #109
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 188
Default

I just have a suggestion for spellbinder's...I e-mailed them but did not get a response. With larger sized dies coming out by other manufacturers it would be great to make available 12-13" cutting mats! It would make the machine more universal and faster to use by allowing us to cut/emboss multiple dies at once. I had made holiday cards this week and it took forever to get all of the shapes done! Most of the newer die cutting machines have longer mats already.. Time to jump on the bandwagon
amydav is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #110
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
 
Wendybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SLC (Stampin' Like Crazy! hehehe!)
Posts: 29,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydav View Post
I just have a suggestion for spellbinder's...I e-mailed them but did not get a response. With larger sized dies coming out by other manufacturers it would be great to make available 12-13" cutting mats! It would make the machine more universal and faster to use by allowing us to cut/emboss multiple dies at once. I had made holiday cards this week and it took forever to get all of the shapes done! Most of the newer die cutting machines have longer mats already.. Time to jump on the bandwagon
Been there, done that ... Here's a link to the mats they came out with last year when they introduced the long Borderabilities dies ... they aren't as wide as a standard mat, but you can do multiple little dies at once. If you want to use the longer dies made by other companies, you can use the standard mats and run them halfway through one direction, then turn the whole sandwich around and run it through from the other end ...

http://spellbinderspaperarts.com/grand-cut-mat-kit.html
__________________
*Wendy*
Stalkin' with Two Left Feet!
My Gallery
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Wendybell is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 AM   #111
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendybell View Post
Been there, done that ... Here's a link to the mats they came out with last year when they introduced the long Borderabilities dies ... they aren't as wide as a standard mat, but you can do multiple little dies at once. If you want to use the longer dies made by other companies, you can use the standard mats and run them halfway through one direction, then turn the whole sandwich around and run it through from the other end ...

http://spellbinderspaperarts.com/grand-cut-mat-kit.html
Thanks for your help!
I was planning on doing just that but, a blog I frequent told me not to do it with a machine that does not have mats that fit the dies. With the QK dies I want to use they were afraid the ends might bend due to the dies being more "fragile". I would rather not take the chance since this set of dies are expensive in my view. I might just have to...dare I say it...purcase an Epic six. I really would hate to have to do that! But then again, it would be more versatile!
amydav is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #112
Hardware Hotshot
 
debbiemom23cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamD View Post
I'm considering the Flourish Shapeabilities dies. I would appreciated your views of this set. Is this a good investment?
Cammie,

I don't have that set but I think you can get alot of examples on Becca Feekan's Blog. She has used those Flourish dies so much and so beautifully. You will have fun checking out her blog!

HTH
__________________
Debbie Seyer
Design Team Member for The Rubber Cafe', The Paper Loft and Craft Hoarders Anonymous!
My Blog- A Peek Into My Stamping Room
debbiemom23cs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #113
Compulsive Stamper
 
StinkaBellasMommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West Coast of Florida
Posts: 43
Default

Is there a difference using the Big Shot EXPRESS with the Spellbinders dies? I see lots of refs to Big Shot but wonder if the EXPRESS is included with them? Here are my questions:

1. What is the sandwich combo to use with the Impressabilities?
2. Do Nestabilities/Shapabilities/Poseabilities all use the same sandwich stack?
3. What is the stack for embossing after cutting with Spellbinders?
4. Is it possible to ruin the Big Shot pressure mechanism with too much stacking going on?

This is what I currently have:
- Essentials Platform
- A very hard, light blue piece ( I think it's Spellbinders)
- A black silicon floppy piece (Sizzix Texturz Silicone Rubber)
- 2 tan silicon floppy pieces (Sizzix)
- 2 (larger) tan silicon pieces (Spellbinders Enlarged Embossing Pads)
- 2 acrylic cutting pads

What is an Impressions Pad? Maybe that's what I'm missing? Or is that the same thing as a Texturx pad? (this is confusing to me)
I had my husband cut some 1/8" plexi glass to get the right pressure but they ended up cracking under pressure and still didn't work for some situations listed above, mainly the embossing ones.

Solutions are much appreciated!!!
thanks
DebraK
StinkaBellasMommie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #114
Matboard Maniac
 
KimInIowa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkaBellasMommie View Post
Is there a difference using the Big Shot EXPRESS with the Spellbinders dies? I see lots of refs to Big Shot but wonder if the EXPRESS is included with them? Here are my questions:

1. What is the sandwich combo to use with the Impressabilities?
2. Do Nestabilities/Shapabilities/Poseabilities all use the same sandwich stack?
3. What is the stack for embossing after cutting with Spellbinders?
4. Is it possible to ruin the Big Shot pressure mechanism with too much stacking going on?

This is what I currently have:
- Essentials Platform
- A very hard, light blue piece ( I think it's Spellbinders)
- A black silicon floppy piece (Sizzix Texturz Silicone Rubber)
- 2 tan silicon floppy pieces (Sizzix)
- 2 (larger) tan silicon pieces (Spellbinders Enlarged Embossing Pads)
- 2 acrylic cutting pads

What is an Impressions Pad? Maybe that's what I'm missing? Or is that the same thing as a Texturx pad? (this is confusing to me)
I had my husband cut some 1/8" plexi glass to get the right pressure but they ended up cracking under pressure and still didn't work for some situations listed above, mainly the embossing ones.

Solutions are much appreciated!!!
thanks
DebraK


Debra
I have a friend that has a BS Express, she uses the following for cutting and embossing

To Cut:
Thick base plate
Thin adapter plate
Die face up
Paper
Two acrylic plates.

To emboss:
Remove the 2 acrylic plates from top
Add:
Spellbinders Embossing mat
Thin adapter plate
One acrylic plate.

1) The sandwich combo for Impressabilities would be the emboss sandwich above, replacing the die with the Impressability
2) All Spellbinders dies use the same sandwich
3) See Above
4) No clue from me

You ask about an Impression pad, do you mean Embossing pad? If that is what you are referencing it is a tan floppy mat that pushes the paper down into the die/impressability when embossing. Spellbinders sells them.

A tip for embossing with Impressabilities - lightly spritz both sides of paper with water before embossing for a deeper emboss.

I hope this helps!

Kim
KimInIowa is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #115
Compulsive Stamper
 
StinkaBellasMommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West Coast of Florida
Posts: 43
Default

Kim,
the "Impressions Pad" is the black one on the Essentials Platform display. That's where my confusion comes in. There are too many names for all these layer things. I'm assuming this is a Sizzix part since it is on the Sizzix Platform.
Thick base plate is that the big Sizzix white one called 'Essentials Platform'?
Thin adapter plate what is this one?
Die face up this one I can figure out
Paper this one, too
Two acrylic plates. are these the clear 'cutting pads'?

thanks for the tip on embossing!

Last edited by StinkaBellasMommie; 11-17-2009 at 02:49 PM..
StinkaBellasMommie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 AM   #116
Compulsive Stamper
 
Angelus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Cellar
Posts: 243
Default

I've beem looking for half an hour, and can't find the answer I need. Don't really know where to ask it, so you seem well informed, so maybe you, or another member can help me with this. Yesterday I got the Spellbinders shapabilities butterflies. It has two cutout things, one makes holes, the other does not....at least should not. I am finding that with vellum, both dies cut holes. The one that shouldn't doesn't cut all the holes, but then I have to put it through again to make it cut all the holes, because it looks kinda bad with only some holes cut out. I want some solid butterflies, but not much luck with the vellum. The cardstock works better, but some times, not so much. Do I have to change my sandwich for the vellum? I use, and have always used A plate, die, cut side up, paper, B plate, adding the black plumbers rubber sheet after the paper, for embossing with Spellbinders. It has always worked, until now. I would love any suggestions.
Angelus is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #117
Hardware Hotshot
 
debbiemom23cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
I've beem looking for half an hour, and can't find the answer I need. Don't really know where to ask it, so you seem well informed, so maybe you, or another member can help me with this. Yesterday I got the Spellbinders shapabilities butterflies. It has two cutout things, one makes holes, the other does not....at least should not. I am finding that with vellum, both dies cut holes. The one that shouldn't doesn't cut all the holes, but then I have to put it through again to make it cut all the holes, because it looks kinda bad with only some holes cut out. I want some solid butterflies, but not much luck with the vellum. The cardstock works better, but some times, not so much. Do I have to change my sandwich for the vellum? I use, and have always used A plate, die, cut side up, paper, B plate, adding the black plumbers rubber sheet after the paper, for embossing with Spellbinders. It has always worked, until now. I would love any suggestions.
I don't think you are using the right sandwich. Here is a video that Spellbinders owner, Stacey Caron, made showing how to cut/emboss using the cuttlebug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vunACbm345w

The sandwich she uses is A plate, C plate, die, cardstock, B plate - this will cut your die.

The sandwich to use when embossing is: A plate, die with cardstock inside, Tan Embossing Mat, 2 pieces of cardstock for shim, 2 B Plates. This will emboss the die cut!

Also, what weight of vellum are you using? I have found Vellum to be kinda tricky with the more intricate dies. I usually use a heavier weighted vellum. Let me know if you need more help!
__________________
Debbie Seyer
Design Team Member for The Rubber Cafe', The Paper Loft and Craft Hoarders Anonymous!
My Blog- A Peek Into My Stamping Room
debbiemom23cs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #118
SAH
Inking Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortWizard View Post
Has anyone else had trouble with some of the Labels dies not cutting cleanly? I think the ones I am having issues with are Labels 1 and 4. They cut out the shape, but then I have to sand the edges to get a good clean edge. I am using the Big Shot using either smooth white cardstock or Bazzill, and don't have that problem on most of the others - is there something I can do with these to make them cut cleaner?

Also, what's the secret to using the Impressabilities in the Big Shot. So far, I am NOT impressed (pun intended!).

TIA
I am having the same problem with Labels One. I was using Coredinations Paper and Neenah Linen Pearl Cover. I have tried this on a Big Shot, a ZipeMate and even my full size Accucut with adapter plate. I usually have no problems with the other shapes. I have tried new plates in each, but the same results. One side of the label looks very torn.

Is there a way to sharpen the edges?

Thanks

Last edited by SAH; 11-18-2009 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: forgot information
SAH is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #119
Compulsive Stamper
 
Angelus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Cellar
Posts: 243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiemom23cs View Post
I don't think you are using the right sandwich. Here is a video that Spellbinders owner, Stacey Caron, made showing how to cut/emboss using the cuttlebug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vunACbm345w

The sandwich she uses is A plate, C plate, die, cardstock, B plate - this will cut your die.

The sandwich to use when embossing is: A plate, die with cardstock inside, Tan Embossing Mat, 2 pieces of cardstock for shim, 2 B Plates. This will emboss the die cut!

Also, what weight of vellum are you using? I have found Vellum to be kinda tricky with the more intricate dies. I usually use a heavier weighted vellum. Let me know if you need more help!
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I watched the video and tried that sandwich. The cutting was fine, but got no embossing. Tried a lot of combinations, and finally got one that embossed without extra cutting. It sounds complicated, and I had to bring it to the computer to get things in the right order. A plate, then die, cutting side up, then black rubber plumbers gasket, (rubber sheet) 2 layers of funfoam, a peice of stiff, thick chip boardand finally 2 B plates. I was so happy to get the result I was hoping for. I also took your suggestion about the velllum, and tried different weights. The heavier, the better. This likely will not work for everyone, as every bug has a mind of it's own, but it worked for me.....today at least. Thanks for your help. Sorry to be so chatty today, I'm on my third coffee and it's just 11 am.
Angelus is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #120
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Howe Island Ontario
Posts: 15
Default

I've had my Wizard for a year and really love it. Perhaps I should say 'loved' it. The arm is starting to slip and I don't think it will be very long before it stops cranking altogether. I'm disappointed to say the least. It was supposed to be all metal construction but the handle is attached via a piece of plastic. Another problem I'm having is that my second set of cutting mats is crumbling away. I mean that literally. The hard white material is not hard anymore. I'm going to have to replace my Wizard but I can't afford to get a new one every year. I don't want to move to another machine because the W works so well but it's not holding up. Is anyone else having a similar problem? Am I really the only one?
lunelly is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off