Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Inking Addict

Default Spectrum Noir Chatter

Hi,

I'm new to alcohol markers and decided to get Spectrum Noir. I am looking for people who have these markers and a forum for discussion.

I do have all of the markers. Once question I have is that some of the markers have a soft nib that makes a fatter line and some have a harder nib that makes a fine line. I am finding this for the markers I have from the Originals, not the Next Generation.

Can anyone tell me if the Original nibs should be harder or softer?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm new to spectrums too. Mine have fine tip and broadtips and I rarely use the broad tips. I have every set acmoore sells but it isn't every color available.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Inking Addict

Hi,

So glad you answered. I have posted on the SN facebook page but don't get answers there.

My chisel tips (broad) seems to be fine. It is the smaller nib (bullet?)that I am having issues with.

Belinda
Old 04-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoneycu View Post
Hi,

So glad you answered. I have posted on the SN facebook page but don't get answers there.

My chisel tips (broad) seems to be fine. It is the smaller nib (bullet?)that I am having issues with.

Belinda
What is happening with the smaller tips on yours? Do you store them horizontally? I don't store mine upright because of ink flow.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Inking Addict

Yes I store mine horizontally. On some of mine the bullet nib is soft and I can't get a fine line for small detail. But on others, the nib is harder so it doesn't spread out as much. I have tried adjusting the pressure, but still have a hard time getting a fine line with some of them.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Proud Fan Club Member

My nibs are all the same softness but I find you can't hold the marker down too long because the ink soaks into the area around it. I try soft quick swishes and pull in to the center of the image.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
Inking Addict

Has anyone started purchasing a supply on the ink refills and is so how are you storing them?

Belinda
Old 04-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

I am also new to these markers and have most of them. I don't have all of the pastel colors available, but that is because I don't care a lot for softer colors. I find that I mostly use the fine tip. I don't like the chisel tip unless I'm working in a larger area, and even then, I don't really care for it. I am trying to force myself to use it occasionally, because if I don't, then I'm wasting at least half the ink in the marker. I wish I could get the ink in the chisel tip into the other end.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoneycu View Post
Has anyone started purchasing a supply on the ink refills and is so how are you storing them?

Belinda
I've bought about 5 refills, just lining them up on a shelf for now, might need to get a clear tote or something soon. Seems like all my greys (and several yellows) went dry first.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Old 04-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1974 View Post
I am also new to these markers and have most of them. I don't have all of the pastel colors available, but that is because I don't care a lot for softer colors. I find that I mostly use the fine tip. I don't like the chisel tip unless I'm working in a larger area, and even then, I don't really care for it. I am trying to force myself to use it occasionally, because if I don't, then I'm wasting at least half the ink in the marker. I wish I could get the ink in the chisel tip into the other end.
I too found it difficult at first to use the chisel tip as well. I have gotten comfortable using it in large areas and find it very useful.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrook View Post
I've bought about 5 refills, just lining them up on a shelf for now, might need to get a clear tote or something soon. Seems like all my greys (and several yellows) went dry first.
I have about about 20 now with another 20 on the way. Will let you know if I find a good way to store them.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
Rubber Obsessor

I purchased several sets about a year ago but find I don't use them as I can hardly get the caps off and on. No, I don't have arthritis and not weak!! Went back to my Copics.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #13
Pearl-ExPert

I had trouble at first, but then rubbed some liquid soap or wd40 on the marker end and put the cap on and off a few times. This really helped.
I got some of the brand new SNs and I had a really hard time getting those off, so I sold them to someone who was stronger than I am. She loves them.