Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 05:03 AM   #121
Stazon Splitcoast

I would recommend the 12" glass mat, the spatula, and a can of repositionable adhesive.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #122
Hardware Hotshot

the first thing i would suggest is to buy a pack of construction paper from the dollar tree. not only is it great while you learn to use the machine( and cheap!) and save your "good" paper for later. but it is also a perfect weight for the mirroring option on the newer cards.

i too recommend a spatula, either brand is fine, and i have the "tweezer Bee" brand tweezers, they are awesome for removing the tiny cuts, as well as placing them on your project.

and i also agree with the others on getting a bigger glass mat. it is great when you do alot of cuts. save the 6x6 for when you are just making a couple qucik cute.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #123
Hardware Hotshot

Michaels will have the machine for $99, AND all cards will be 50% off on Cyber Monday!!!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #124
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempermom View Post
Michaels will have the machine for $99, AND all cards will be 50% off on Cyber Monday!!!!!
.com or in the store?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #125
Hardware Hotshot

in store only!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #126
Hardware Hotshot

What is cyber monday?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #127
Hardware Hotshot

Monday Nov 30th, but i dont know why they call it that! guess its another way for stores to excite us and bring our $ in ha ha......

anyone know why they call it that?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #128
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Monday Nov 30th, but i dont know why they call it that! guess its another way for stores to excite us and bring our $ in ha ha......

anyone know why they call it that?
Per Wikipedia:
The term Cyber Monday refers to the Monday immediately following Black Friday, the ceremonial kick-off of the holiday online shopping season in the United States between Thanksgiving and Christmas. [1] Whereas Black Friday is associated with traditional brick-and-mortar stores, "Cyber Monday" symbolizes a busy day for online retailers. The premise was that consumers would return to their offices after the Black Friday weekend, making purchases online that they were not able to make in stores. Although that idea has not survived the test of time, Cyber Monday has evolved into a significant marketing event, sponsored by the National Retail Federation's Shop.org division, in which online retailers offer low prices and promotions.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #129
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollybear View Post
Will it cut cardstock well?
I think it cuts Bazzill fantastically. It will cut SU cardstock but I personally believe the cardstock is a bit thick and cutting it will shorten the life of the teeny tiny blade. Works great on acetate and vinyl, too.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #130
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via MSN to arubberstamper

Well, I ended up buying the Basic 2 Design Card from Scrap-Mart online yesterday. Not bad prices... I only paid 19.99 for it and shipping was free. I can't wait for it to get her to join my other three design cards. I just love the prices on these cards and love the designs making memories has on them.
arubberstamper
Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #131
Hardware Hotshot

Meg, I haven't heard anymore about bad cuts. I have figured out my machine, too, though. I LOVE it! Above are a lot of good tips to avoid anymore bad cuts, but here's a list:
1. It only holds a charge for an hour. If you unplug it, you have an hour before it starts to cut wonky. I keep mine plugged in. Even at crops.
2. Home the blade.
3. If it's going through the motions of cutting, but not doing anything, tighten the blade all the way, and then try it.
4. The calibration card did wonders for my cuts. I've only had to do it once, and it cuts great.
If you loved working everything about your Slice except the wonky cuts before, you'll love it now. Some just prefer the way the Cricut works, etc. I prefer using my Slice.
Good luck making your decision.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #132
Polyshrink Goddess

For me, I love the fact that I have room on my table to keep my Pink Slice right beside me and still have plenty of room to craft and create. I love the MM Design cards because they aren't to childish. And I also love the price of them. They (Design Cards) seem to be on sale a lot and even if they aren't on sale, still a reasonable price for them. And now that they have the mirror and shadow options on the MS cards are wonderful. And you can use the embossing tips to emboss. They are next on my Christmas list to get. When I got my Pink Slice, I just had to calibrate the slice once and have no problems. I had the cricut and cartridges... sold the whole thing and used the money to turn around and buy my Pink Slice and other Design cards. I probably only used the cricut three to four times, the rest of the time it sat in the box because of the room and none for it to sit there on my crafting table. I just didn't have room for the cricut. I'm not knocking it, but the price of the cartridges were way to much and in my opinion... there were a lot of them that were childish to me. I keep my Slice plugged in at all times, I know it's good and charged. I like the fact that I can put my Slice in it's carry all bag and it's not bulky or anything...And love the case for the Design cards and booklets that you keep them all in. This fits nice in the sides of the carrying bag for the slice.
I would go for the Slice and the design cards any day over the cricut.
Just my .2 worth.
arubberstamper

Last edited by arubberstamper; 11-29-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Old 11-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #133
Polyshrink Goddess

Right now, Michael's is having sales on Slice products right now and also will be tomorrow online at Michaels website.
HTH
arubberstamper
Old 11-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #134
Polyshrink Goddess

http://www.michaelscrafts.com That's M's website. Wow, love all the design cards you got. I got Think Pink with my Pink Slice and also the Basic Design Elements 1, and I have the Note Worthy and getting Basic 2 Design Card. Thinking of buying Vintage too and a few others...lol
arubberstamper
Old 11-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #135
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
sempermom, do you have Michaels website where you can purchase online.
I thought you could buy online, that why I gave the Michaels site. It gives me the Michaels where I buy. Strange..
arubberstamper
Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #136
Stazon Splitcoast

Michaels does not have an online website to purchase from. You can only purchase in stores.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #137
Gabfest Goddess

Does anyone remember a while back when the Slices weren't cutting right? This was a while ago. I just cut a 2.5 inch and it was a bit wonky. Do I need to contact MM customer service? Is there something else I can try. Admittedly, I've only used it once or twice. I want to get some more carts for it. Today might be a good day to do that.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #138
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahmegan View Post
Does anyone remember a while back when the Slices weren't cutting right? This was a while ago. I just cut a 2.5 inch and it was a bit wonky. Do I need to contact MM customer service? Is there something else I can try. Admittedly, I've only used it once or twice. I want to get some more carts for it. Today might be a good day to do that.
If you've only used it once or twice prior, I'd "home" it, and then try a few more cuts, at different sizes, different designs, and see what you get. Take pictures.

It's possible your machine may need calibrating, and it's possible you may have one or the first generation machines that was having difficulty; I'd run a full battery of tests on it.

It turned out my machine was cutting wonky, but it wasn't the machine. After I did all the trouble-shooting tips at the www.whyslice.com site, I contacted MM (I registered my machine there immediately after purchase). I showed them photos of the results I was getting, even after exhausting all the helps/tips at the site. They had me ship mine in and determined quickly that it was a power cord issue, not a machine issue.

My machine was recently returned to me with a new power cord and she's been golden ever since.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #139
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks Julie!! I'll try it out. A friend gave me hers, so it's not registered...that I know of. That might not be good for MM to help me out if there's an issue. Hmmm. Hopefully a few of the online tricks will help!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #140
Hardware Hotshot

yes, mine had a bad power cord too!! they fixed me right up!

Deborah, you can try to re-reegister it, and see what they say, doesnt hurt to try!

and if you have to send in your machine, they will send it back with free goodies in the box to make up for postage!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #141
Hardware Hotshot

sorry for the confusion on the cyber day sale, i shoudl have mentioned that it is in store only. i got the ino from their email

i wish they did have a online site to buy from!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #142
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
yes, mine had a bad power cord too!! they fixed me right up!

Deborah, you can try to re-reegister it, and see what they say, doesnt hurt to try!

and if you have to send in your machine, they will send it back with free goodies in the box to make up for postage!
Oh good idea. I didn't even think to re register. I don't mind paying for shipping or even to fix it, I'd just like it to work! I only have the one cart, but I can't bring myself to buy another one until I know it can work. I really want one that shadows the letter? It looks so cool!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #143
Mad Swapper

I'm taking the plunge and getting myself a pink slice. Sure, my Michael's has 'em in stock today (I called to see), but I just love the pink and need it to match my BIA. I'm going to have to wait until Christmas though...DH will have his shopping done! I just ordered it from Scrapbookpal.com...it was only $145 plus some tax. I'll probably have it tomorrow, as they're 'local' to me. Maybe I'll just but some more cards for Christmas...that way I can play with the Slice now and more later.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #144
Hardware Hotshot

Deborah, i was just thinkin ( scary isnt it ha ha ) that you may have a machine that did not come with the new updated basics one card. call MM and ask and they can send you one free. it will then give you the ability to calibrate your machine. that may help with the cutting issues.

yes, once you get her runnign smoothly, you will want an MS+ card as they give your machine better speed! and oh so many options to cutting!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #145
Hardware Hotshot

Katie! you go girlie!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #146
Hardware Hotshot

by the way, has anyone seen the infomercial on TV yet? i still have not caught it, but i did however see one for "your story" .......
Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #147
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't seen the infomercial either but did see "Your Story" here on the east coast. If you want to see the infomercial go to
http://www.makingmemories.com home page and click on the right side where it says "$50.00 off" It will take you to the infomercial site plus they have a video of the infomercial.
arubberstamper
Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #148
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieHRR View Post
*chuckle* Only you can determine that.

I really wasn't ever seriously planning on getting an eletronic die cutting system, but I took a class, and a few of my stamping colleagues/friends have always raved about theirs . . .

And, well, you know how it goes . . .

Pros:
  • Compact footprint
  • Portable
  • Cordless (rechargeable)
  • Easy to use/not complex
  • Does not require a computer
  • Design Cards are relatively cost effective, feature a nice variety and quantity of different shapes, many include at least one alpha or more, and take up very little storage space
  • Seems to have the most "updated" art style in die cuts, over the other brands of similar electronic products (based solely on my humble opinion, of course)
  • Cuts a range of 1 to a max of 4" size of many of the shapes
  • Least expensive of all personal electronic die cutting systems currently on the market
  • Making Memories has proven to offer strong customer service, and has a responsive team dedicated to the Slice itself
  • Website has message board and inspiration
  • It's fun to use.

Cons:
  • Still seems to have some kinks that need to be worked out
  • Cannot cut anything thicker than 80 lb. card stock, so won't work on chipboard, fun foam, sheet metal, heavy/thick acetate
I love this company, the best customer service I have ever experienced. Half the reason I bought one.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #149
Hardware Hotshot

yes, i am on the east coast, i have time warner and it was on channel 25, they usuallly have a jewelry auction type show going.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #150
Stazon Splitcoast

Enabler: 25% off cards at:

http://www.abctoysandcrafts.net/servlet/StoreFront
Old 12-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #151
Hardware Hotshot

i think the only 2 differences with the Pink machine is:
the color
and the Pink machine is already calibrated
Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #152
Cardstock Collector

I am a die cut junkie!... I own, slice, Cricut Expressions, Sixxiz Big Shot and an Epic 6... how bad is that!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #153
Glitter Queen

Question embossing with slice????

Have any of you embossed with the slice? I LOVE my slice, but don't have the embossing tips. . . yet! Should I get em? Will I like em? Wish I could see some cards that have been embossed with the slice so I know what the heck to do. I am a visual person and need a picture.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #154
Mad Swapper

I wish I had ordered one from crafts etc last week for $89. I think I really really need one!!! It doesn't matter that I have all the other machines too, right??? LOL
Old 12-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #155
Kookie Creator

I think I may have to buy one as a Merry Christmas to myself...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #156
Polyshrink Goddess

I got a Slice the other day, well I will have it in a few days (I am away at the moment!) but I am a little concerned as the manager advised my other half against it!! Luckily he did not listen and still got it for me so I can decide. Does it cut small words out well please? Thats what I will mainly be using it for! In the meantime I am going to see if I can find somewhere where I could demo one!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #157
Stazon Splitcoast

I know someone who has had the green Slice and now the Pink Slice (she won that one). She says the Pink Slice does perform a little better (ie: faster). Other than that, it doesn't do anything more than the green Slice does.

I have tried the embossing tips in a MM Slice class I took. In order to emboss a design, then cut it out with a shadow technique, you will need to mark where your Slice is sitting on your paper so that after you emboss you can change the tip back out to the blade, replace it on your glass mat (embossing tips use an embossing mat) and reposition it in the right place to cut around the embossed image/word.

I bet if you check YouTube you could probably find a video showing you how to do it.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #158
Pearl-ExPert

Default I just got some of the mistletoe and vintage findings...

Wow, I just love the speed.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #159
Mad Swapper

This is probably a silly question, but do you have to use it on a glass mat? It wouldn't work on maybe a cricut mat. Just wondering. I've been reading up on it here and am thinking I really need to have one. Thanks, Angel
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #160
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel1971 View Post
This is probably a silly question, but do you have to use it on a glass mat? It wouldn't work on maybe a cricut mat. Just wondering. I've been reading up on it here and am thinking I really need to have one. Thanks, Angel
Yes. I wouldn't try a Cricut mat--I think the blade would get hung up in that kind of mat, just like my Circle Scissor blade used to get caught until I realized that was the problem and why I was having such poor results with that tool--Oy!

The glass mat is integral to the performance of the tool.

The Circle Scissor blade and Slice blade are similar to each other.

HTH!