Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #81
Hardware Hotshot

YAY!!! thats tomorrow!!! yes they are unbelievably fast.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #82
Hardware Hotshot

scrap-mart.com has some great prices on design cards, some are only 22.99!!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #83
Cardstock Collector

Hello everyone this is my first post. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the wonderful information you have provided about the Slice! Thank you In my case, I have some good news, and I have some bad news. The good news is that I have a Slice(insert squeal here) my husband bought it for Christmas. The bad news is that he says I cannot peek, touch, or open it before Christmas.

I am not sure I am that strong!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #84
Die Cut Diva

hey ladies,

just got my new Slice machine today at Michaels...all Slice products are 40% off until Wednesday...at least in Canada I'm playing around with it and am still having problems cutting Papertrey paper. I'm wondering if it's just too thick or if I should keep adjusting the blade...does loosening the blade help with cutting thick paper, or should I be tightening the blade for thick paper. Stampin' Up paper worked fine. Thanks for any advice! I know I will love it once I iron this out
Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #85
Hardware Hotshot

Ooh, can't touch until Christmas?? That's HARD!! Good luck!!

And Moe-play around with the blade adjustment until you get it right. I generally use the tightest setting. Even when it does the thing where it doesn't even try to cut. The instructions say it should be loosened at that point or it won't work. But I once loosened it 1/4 turn at a time until the blade just fell out! Then I started over, and that time I tightned it all the way, and tried it before loosening it any. It worked! I questioned my memory of that incident until recently when it happened again. I just tightened the blade, and it started cutting again.
Is papertrey thicker than SU? If I need a new blade I'll have trouble with SU paper, but other than that, no. Really, just try adjusting it, and if that doesn't work well, trade out blades. But, SAVE the blade that wasn't working for use with paper instead of cardstock. I was tossing blades left and right until I figured this out. (duh!)
Old 11-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #86
Rubber Obsessor

Default Spray adhesive??

Opened my tube of adhesive the other night and it was all gunked up so exchanged it for a new tube and hopefully it will work. My question is, I keep seeing where people use spray adhesive. Is this repositionable?? Do I just keep spraying new on top of old?? Or do I have to wash it off between applications?? I'd love to switch to it but want to make sure I understand the EXACT name of the product and how to use it before I take the leap!
Thanks!!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #87
Hardware Hotshot

WOW! waiting til Christmas will be hard, but oh so worth it!! Congrats

Moe, i agree with Erin about playing around with the blade. i can never remember when you should tighten or loosen! so i have to play around til i figure it out.

Bubink,
if you use a spray adhesive you will want one that can be temporary. i have tried Elmers Craft Bond, it is a dual glue, meaning it can be permant or temporary. the can will describe for you how to get it to be temporary.

and you will want to clean it between sprays or it may build uneven layers on the matt, baby wipes work well, but you should get several uses before needing to respray.

and be careful, as some spray adhes can have an odor.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #88
Mad Swapper

Does anyone know where you can find the pink Slice???
Old 11-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #89
Hardware Hotshot

www.scrap-mart.com has it, and i think with free shipping!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #90
Mad Swapper

Thank You!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #91
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Hi.

First, thanks so much for this Slice sticky !!! And next, thanks to Making Memories for coming up with this fantastic machine woohoo !!!

I am a brand new Slice user - just got mine last month and I love, love LOVE it. Sooooooooo easy to use it is a total joy and the designs in the cards are awesome !!!

Ease of use is a really big deal to me because I get frustrated if there is a lot of set up involved or if a machine is cumbersome or complicated to use.........well the Slice is like '1-2-3' and you're cutting a great design.......it really is that simple and this is coming from the Queen of Uncomplicated LOL.

And I know this sounds so trite but it is true with the Slice - the possibilities are endless.......I can see so many options for the scads of images that are available - both the positive and negative images.

I got the embossing tips but haven't tried them yet. I also ordered the pens, but they're on some boat lost somewhere in the Pacific Ocean and are due in January hahahaha........

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 11-22-2009 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #92
Stazon Splitcoast

Moe, I would stop trying to cut the Papertrey paper. It's too thick. You will greatly shorten the life of your blade by cutting thick paper. Even the SU paper is a little thick, I think.

I use Easy Tack for my spray adhesive. It says right on the can that it is repositionable. Don't spray too thick! Make sure you spray in a ventilated area.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #93
Rubber Obsessor

I also use the Krylon Easy Tack adhesive spray and let it dry. Then when you are done cutting put a layer of waxed paper over the glass matt. It seems to work for me so far. Once you need to use new adhesive wash the glass matt and dry it then respray.

I don't use thick paper in the slice either, but the regular cardstock you buy at Michaels or other places seems to be ok. I've tried to use Gina K's paper it is nice and thick and the slice had trouble cutting it.

Last edited by Inkygramma; 11-22-2009 at 03:34 PM..
Old 11-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #94
Hardware Hotshot

great tips everyone!

i bought a pack of 200 sheets of card stock from Michaels, and it is the perfect weight and thickness for the Slice
it is made by Recollections, and says its 65lb. it has 25 different colors and the price is 12.99, but use a coupon and its a great deal
Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #95
Pearl-ExPert

I have all the die cutters- Cricut's, Gazelle, Cuttlebug, but I love my Slice.

Slice loves and tips.

- Replaces a lot of our punches. Really you can buy a punch for $14 and one shape or Slice cartridge for $28 and several shapes. Hands down Slice wins. No punches taking up precious craft space. I do love my punches though.

- I use Aleene's Tack it over to make my glass mat stick, and then I cover it with wax paper.

- I have a journaling box that sets beside me all the time with my favorite tools in it. My slice fits in their nicely with my Baby Cricut. I have the best of both world's.

- It embosses

- I keep mine plugged in when I use it. It just works better. When you start losing the charge it's like an old car with no gasoline. Chug, Chug, Sputter, Sputter.

- Making Memories has wonderful CS. I can't call them on the phone because I have a hearing impairment. I e-mailed them with my problem. They got back to me in less than a day. I love their Customer Service.

- I trust their products.

Cons-

- If you make multiple cuts the machine can start hurting your hands after awhile. Something to think about if your going to do wedding invitations. Otherwise it's very easy to hold on too. I have tiny hands. My cat holds on to it. She likes my die cutting machines. She can beat them up. All the complaints about it being too hard on your hands, if my cat can hold on to it so can you.

- Some of the cuts come out wonky even after calibration. Then you cut the same shape again in the same size and it will be fine. I have summed this up as little gremlins living in the machine.

- My DH bought me a Cricut Gypsy. Now, that I have my carts stored on it I can make cuts quick and adjust them to my needs. I can't do that with the Slice.
Slice has said they will release a cartridge that we can create our own designs. I keep waiting for every CHA. I bet with the Gypsy out now MM will speed up production on the rumored card.

I do want to make a note about anybody reading this trying to decide between a Cricut and Slice. Every board I post too seems like a lot of posts are trying to decide between the two.

The Cricut is a paper piercing cutter. What that means is that you cut out a shape and then pierce it together for example Mickey Mouse.

The Slice is just a die cutter and you don't have to paper pierce.

Granted the Cricut has thousands of shapes you don't have to pierce but many of the cartridges you do have to put together.

Comparing a Cricut to a Slice is like comparing Apples to Oranges.

The Slice does cut vinyl from what I heard.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 11-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #96
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Oh, Canada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishlatte View Post
hey ladies,

just got my new Slice machine today at Michaels...all Slice products are 40% off until Wednesday...at least in Canada I'm playing around with it and am still having problems cutting Papertrey paper. I'm wondering if it's just too thick or if I should keep adjusting the blade...does loosening the blade help with cutting thick paper, or should I be tightening the blade for thick paper. Stampin' Up paper worked fine. Thanks for any advice! I know I will love it once I iron this out
The one day I wish I was living in Canada. I called my local Michael's and they said that they do not accept any coupons or have sales for the Slice at their store. That includes Black Friday. I was wondering if anyone's come across a great deal for the Slice with the starter kit. The best price that I've found is from Amazon $124 with free shipping.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #97
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempermom View Post
YAY!!! thats tomorrow!!! yes they are unbelievably fast.
Finally played with it a little on Friday--seems to be working GREAT now! According to the included report, I needed a new power cord, so they sent one, and included some nice Slice goodies that exceeded in value, the costs to ship the machine back to them.

So, I'm very pleased!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #98
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fura View Post
The one day I wish I was living in Canada. I called my local Michael's and they said that they do not accept any coupons or have sales for the Slice at their store. That includes Black Friday. I was wondering if anyone's come across a great deal for the Slice with the starter kit. The best price that I've found is from Amazon $124 with free shipping.
I'd check again because a friend in the San Fran area alerted me about the Slice products being on sale at Michaels. I've checked two local Michaels stores here in WA and both had the Slice and Slice products 40% off.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #99
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you, Novell! I think I'll just go out there and talk to the manager. She's been very helpful before. I hope she can give me the discount. I can't wait to get it.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #100
Forum Fanatic

Hi...just bought a Slice this weekend (it's not here yet). I'm glad to see this thread - I read a lot of good tips already!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #101
Polyshrink Goddess

Default BUMMER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novell View Post
I'd check again because a friend in the San Fran area alerted me about the Slice products being on sale at Michaels. I've checked two local Michaels stores here in WA and both had the Slice and Slice products 40% off.
I just called and spoke to the manager at the Michael's in Colma, CA near SF (I live 2 hours away). She says that the coupons do exclude the slice. She was reading the small print on the coupon to me over the phone. I'm bummed.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #102
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
I just called and spoke to the manager at the Michael's in Colma, CA near SF (I live 2 hours away). She says that the coupons do exclude the slice. She was reading the small print on the coupon to me over the phone. I'm bummed.
I think what Novell means, is that the Slice and Slice products are actually on sale (the coupons do usually exclude all die cutting machines/systems, and I'm sure the current one does as well. But, if it's ON SALE for 40% off, then it doesn't matter anyway. )
Old 11-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #103
Stazon Splitcoast

correct! They are actually on sale!! No need for a coupon so shop away!!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #104
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieHRR View Post
I think what Novell means, is that the Slice and Slice products are actually on sale (the coupons do usually exclude all die cutting machines/systems, and I'm sure the current one does as well. But, if it's ON SALE for 40% off, then it doesn't matter anyway. )
I'm not sure. I've spoken to both Michael's and they said that they do not have it on sale nor can I use the coupons for slice products. One sales rep said that it's because they (MM Slice products) do not want to participate in the Sale.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #105
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, maybe you need to call a store up here and see if they'll ship to you. I was at the Everett, WA store yesterday and they had signs for all Slice products up for sale. I was at the Lynnwood, WA store today and they had signs for the actual Slice machine on sale. I inquired about one of the cartridges and it rang up on sale, too. The phn# to the Everett WA store is 425 267-9088. The number to the Lynnwood store is 425 771-6979. Hope they can help
Old 11-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #106
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I'm not sure. I've spoken to both Michael's and they said that they do not have it on sale nor can I use the coupons for slice products. One sales rep said that it's because they (MM Slice products) do not want to participate in the Sale.
Maybe you need to make a call to Michaels HQ.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #107
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Maybe you need to make a call to Michaels HQ.
OKAY! Thanks ladies for your help and suggestions. This is why I <3 SCS.

So.. I called the Everett store and after calling another Michael's in CA I got it cleared up. The girl I spoke to earlier at my local Michael's did not know that Slice products were on sale. She kept telling me that Slice does not participate in their sales. What she didn't know is that Slice products are excluded from coupons only (just like Cricut products).
There is a sale on Slice products this week. Both the managers I spoke to in CA thought that I wanted to use coupons for the already-on-sale Slice items. Luckily, the assistant manager at the Everett store told me what the misunderstanding might be. I can't believe how much of a headache it's been just to find out if it is on sale. This baby better be good!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #108
Stazon Splitcoast

Wohoo!! Another Slice user to join the party! Now get yourself on out there and pick one up. Have fun picking your cartridges. The newer cartridges have an MS+ symbol on them. This means they have the mirror, shadow, and speedboost features. The older cartridges do not have those features. They are still great, though!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #109
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Wohoo!! Another Slice user to join the party! Now get yourself on out there and pick one up. Have fun picking your cartridges. The newer cartridges have an MS+ symbol on them. This means they have the mirror, shadow, and speedboost features. The older cartridges do not have those features. They are still great, though!
You're such an angel! Thank you for looking out for the newbies. I just got back from dinner at my SIL's house. My MIL gave me a Michael's ad that has an additional 15% off of sales items. I'm ready!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #110
Hardware Hotshot

WOW!! its so great to have everyone joining in! welcome welcome welcome!!!

michaels has all slice prods 40% off this week...just in time for shopping

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone
Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #111
Crimping Master

Stopped at a local M's today...the cart I wanted was out but I have a raincheck. So, I am kinda thinkin' I should get my second choice now, then when the one I really wanted comes in I can get that one too and it won't count as part of November's budget. Hmmm...it makes sense in my twisted mind!

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #112
Die Cut Diva

thanks for the paper tips, ladies...it sounds like some of you will be able to get the products at 40% off this week. Our 40 % sale (Canada) ended today but not before I got the last carrrying bag...it was stacked with nonSlice items, but a helpful cleark spotted it!! Got some more blades too...I don't see it on sale much so jumped at the great price!! Ok, back to playing with it!!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 AM   #113
Die Cut Diva

Default Slice and Chipboard

Since the Slice won't cut chipboard (even thin chipboard), how do you improvise if you want to place your die cut on a piece of chipboard?

Is there a way?

As far as the wonderful 40% off sale at M's this week, also consider this: when every one else went from 39.99 to 49.99 for the MS+ cards, they kept theirs at 39.99 (at least where I live) - + 40% off - whata deal! Also, for the ones M's doesn't have, HL has been getting a LOT of the new cards in AND they've let mse use a coupon for them the last 2-3 weeks! Can you tell I've been stocking up? Gotten about 6 new cards this week alone! Woohoo!

Last edited by binx; 11-25-2009 at 02:41 AM..
Old 11-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #114
Stazon Splitcoast

I just don't use chipboard with my Slice cuts. You could raise your die with dimensionals but it won't have the same effect.

We don't have any Hobby Lobby's or Archivers around here.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #115
Hardware Hotshot

for those of you who live in or near portland, check this out!

http://blog.makingmemories.com/2009/...portland-.html

lucky you!!!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #116
Hardware Hotshot

yes!!! they have embossing tips that you replace the blade with. i havent tried them yet, they are on my Bday wish list

they are also making markers for it , so it wil have the ability to draw too
Old 11-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #117
Hardware Hotshot

wow, what is going on at whyslice.com, now the message board has completey vanished and all the videos have gone bonkers? its crazy!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #118
Stazon Splitcoast

I just checked. Seems like the site is working fine.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #119
Matboard Maniac

Which extras do you recommend first when you buy it???
Old 11-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #120
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinTeacher View Post
Which extras do you recommend first when you buy it???
DH bought mine for a gift but I really didn't need that many extras. I got Aleene's Tack it Over Glue to use on my mats, I grabbed an extra foam brush from my stash, I use a dental pick to get the small cuts off the mat. I have a Cricut spatula for the other cuts. You can also buy the Slice spatula. That would be my first extra I would probably get. The other things you can buy as your needs grow.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams