Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #1121
Rubber Obsessor

I've never used a circle, star, square and scallop with my Slice. I guess I've always used my punches and Nestibilities but I will give it a try and post my results for you. I hope I don't have the trouble you do. I'll also ask my friends here in So. Cal. to try it and get back to you. Sorry for your bad luck!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #1122
Hardware Hotshot

trying it again. yay! it worked!
Attached Thumbnails
scan0001.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #1123
Hardware Hotshot

As you can see, mine aren't perfect, but I'm perfectly happy with them. They are the smallest the machine will cut, and it's just not capable of getting better than that. Some of the images they don't even offer an option of going this small, but I'd rather have the option and choose for myself whether or not to use the image.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #1124
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't calibrated it since I got the Elite, so I should probably do that. I'll bet I'd get a straighter line.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #1125
Stazon Splitcoast

Has the unit charged for at least 24 hours before you used it? It doesnt sound like that is the case for the one in the store if you just opened and used it...just trying to trouble shoot here...Also..my friend was using mine and her cuts were all weird and I figured out she was holding it down way to tightly to the mat....Hope something helps.
blessings.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #1126
Glitter Queen

I've just heard back from the supplier my new slice machine should be posted out today but not sure how long it will take to reach me due to all the floods but I'm still very excited that it's on it's way!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #1127
Mad Swapper

My slice won't turn on at all. I've always kept it on the charger so it will be ready to go. It is the G6 model but has only been used a handful of times. I have unplugged it from the charger and tried plugging it back in but still nothing. Anyone have any idea's?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #1128
Compulsive Stamper

if you keep it on the charger all the time you probely ruined the battery, batteries need to run down before you charge them again.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #1129
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckMagic View Post
if you keep it on the charger all the time you probely ruined the battery, batteries need to run down before you charge them again.
There is nothing wrong with the battery it is working fine. MM says that it can stay plugged in all the time. My husband checked the battery and it has lots of voltage.

I called MM today and they are going to send me out another basic 1 card. They think that one of the cartridges may not have been compatible and this new card will reset my machine. I hope so.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #1130
Stazon Splitcoast

I too keep mine plugged in all the time between uses...so far no issues with it.
blessings.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #1131
Glitter Queen

Wink to slice or not to slice

I was debating about getting the slice. I went on the Michaels site to price it, and the only review listed said it was a waste of money. I've read so many threads about it cutting wonky, and having issues...but so does the cricut. I bought my original personal cutter (baby bug) for $114. at Walmart in Dec 2007; upgraded to the Expression on Black Friday Nov 2009 for $188. I keep the E setting on a separate smaller computer desk, and my grandkids use the baby bug. I do take it to crops since it has the handle and is easier to carry. I have only 20 carts and don't plan on expanding my library as they seem to have everything I need for my greeting cards. I was toying with the idea of getting the Slice because of it's size and being portable. Still not sure. I think I'll hold off until Black Friday this year and if it has a good price, I might go for it then.

Thank you all for the comments and helpful suggestions...

Mac
Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #1132
Hardware Hotshot

Hey Mac! Yeah, if there's anything you want to know about the Slice, it's here on this thread! We're glad to answer new questions, but the answers are all here somewhere! Good luck!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #1133
Compulsive Stamper

Do any of the slice cards have clouds? In need of some clouds. TIA Jo Ann
Old 03-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #1134
Cardstock Collector

Default Cloud Shapes for the Slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iupindiana View Post
Do any of the slice cards have clouds? In need of some clouds. TIA Jo Ann
No. The nearest to a cloud is the body of a sheep on two of the newer ‘layering’ cards.

Would the cloud shapes below be of any use?

Images Sources:
Cloud01, Cloud02, Cloud03 from
Some Clouds For My Spring Flowers SVG | My Cricut Scrapbooking

Cloud04 from
Free SVG File (Sure Cuts A Lot) 01.12.10 – Cloud Nine Caption*|*SVGCuts.com

Cloud05 from
Simple Clouds - OpenClipArt

Attached Thumbnails
clouds-contact-sheet-images.jpg  

Last edited by The Wizard; 03-01-2011 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: Added links to the image sources websites
Old 03-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #1135
Insane Embellisher

The Slice Elite is on sale at Michael's for 40% off, along with all Slice accessories.....good deal!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #1136
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDeb View Post
I put plastic wrap over my glass mat when not using it, seems to stay sticky quite a while. Also like the idea of spray adhesive...will try it after I use up the 12 tubes of glue I just bought, lol!
-----------
hmmm. just got my first Slice last week (birthday gift) and I have to use new glue for each paper I use. By the time I've cut on 8.5X11 sheet, the paper is glued to the mat and tears when I lift it, ruining some of the designs. I've had to try and get the cuts off before losing them. Today I bought the 12x12 hands free set up...seems to help a lot but the glue issue is still not good. Do you usually only put the glue on for one-time use, even if cutting for maybe 1/2 hour at a time? My thought was wow: I'll be using a lot of glue if I have to do this for each page I cut. I did buy the Slice spray glue but wanted to use up the little tube that cam with my bundle kit (from Shop Tuesday Morning). Any tips will be very much appreciated ! (I also have the E and baby bug cricuts, which I LOVE).

thanks

Mac
Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #1137
Glitter Queen

Default calibrate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin in Okc View Post
I haven't calibrated it since I got the Elite, so I should probably do that. I'll bet I'd get a straighter line.

---
I noticed the calibrate icon on the basic cart today - did use it and all it did was make lines....what is the purpose of this cut?? (Just got the slice last Sunday as a gift)

thanks
mac
Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #1138
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4551 View Post
-----------
hmmm. just got my first Slice last week (birthday gift) and I have to use new glue for each paper I use. By the time I've cut on 8.5X11 sheet, the paper is glued to the mat and tears when I lift it, ruining some of the designs. I've had to try and get the cuts off before losing them. Today I bought the 12x12 hands free set up...seems to help a lot but the glue issue is still not good. Do you usually only put the glue on for one-time use, even if cutting for maybe 1/2 hour at a time? My thought was wow: I'll be using a lot of glue if I have to do this for each page I cut. I did buy the Slice spray glue but wanted to use up the little tube that cam with my bundle kit (from Shop Tuesday Morning). Any tips will be very much appreciated ! (I also have the E and baby bug cricuts, which I LOVE).

thanks

Mac
As far as the glue goes you may be using too much and not letting it dry completely. The glass mat should feel tacky but not wet. I hope that helps. I can make a lot of cuts without having to reapply the adhesive. Also if your mat is still tacky you can cover it with either wax paper or plastic wrap to preserve the glue. I am now using the spray and like it much better.
I also use my Xacto knife to lift the cut pieces off the glass mat, with the spatula my edges were getting bent and wrinkled.
there are a lot of tips on this thread as well as at the whyslice.com website also check out YouTube.
Enjoy your Slice
Geralyn
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #1139
Hardware Hotshot

I second Geralyn's advice. I've found that when I'm a little too anxious to get cutting and don't let the glue dry to tackiness, the paper will stick way too much!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #1140
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4551 View Post
---
I noticed the calibrate icon on the basic cart today - did use it and all it did was make lines....what is the purpose of this cut?? (Just got the slice last Sunday as a gift)

thanks
mac
Calibrating your Slice will help your cuts be more precise. You should have gotten directions on how to calibrate with your machine. If not just google calibrate the Slice and you should find a direction manual also try searching the Making Memories site.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #1141
Glitter Queen

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriNY View Post
Calibrating your Slice will help your cuts be more precise. You should have gotten directions on how to calibrate with your machine. If not just google calibrate the Slice and you should find a direction manual also try searching the Making Memories site.

thank you GeriNY. I did not receive any info with my bundle kit with instructions to calibrate. I did google it and printed the 4 pages. Had no idea what that was for. Again, thank you for taking the time to explain it.

I tried cutting again tonight and just can't seem to get a hang on putting the glue on the 12x12 mat. It dries almost instantly and won't stick and when I put more on, it's too wet. I know there is a happy medium...guess I will just have to play with it until I figure it out. I might just be too used to my cricut mats.

I'm so thrilled to be on this Message Board again. I was only jumping on the Cricut MB, but they've had so many technical problems it's frustrating. Then, the topics were changed around, a lot eliminated...and once again, adds to the frustration. Actually, someone from the cricut site directed me to this site for the Slice...and now I'm checking all posts.

Great to be back !

Mac
Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #1142
Stazon Splitcoast

one thing I have found with my slice is....instead of using the glue in the tube I purchased the re-positionable spray and now I don't have the issue of it being too sticky and ripping my papers. Just something I have found...has anyone else noticed this?
blessings.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #1143
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtchick View Post
one thing I have found with my slice is....instead of using the glue in the tube I purchased the re-positionable spray and now I don't have the issue of it being too sticky and ripping my papers. Just something I have found...has anyone else noticed this?
blessings.
Yes Amber, I too use the spray and find it a lot easier, with no paper problems. It's also easier to remove from my glass mat when I go to re-spray. Love it!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #1144
Cardstock Collector

Default Spray adhesive removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetostamp3 View Post
Yes Amber, I too use the spray and find it a lot easier, with no paper problems. It's also easier to remove from my glass mat when I go to re-spray. Love it!
I was just wondering how is the best or easiest way to remove the spray adhesive from the hands free mat? I have used a water and a scrubbing sponge but it was a little messy and hard to keep the water off the embossing side of the mat.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #1145
Glitter Queen

Question

I haven't tried the spray glue, although I do have a can. I keep trying to use the tube glue and I can only do one cut and it dries. I've tried to put more on, put less on...can't seem to find a happy medium. If anyone has the cricut and the sticky mats, can you tell me how to put glue on hands free Slice mat and cover with wax paper so it comes out like the cricut mats?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated - thank you in advance...

Mac
Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #1146
Hardware Hotshot

I don't bother trying to get all of it off of the mat. I just use a sponge on it, then dry it with a towel. When it dries, it's sticky again, and I can usually do that a few times before I have to reapply anymore adhesive spray.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #1147
Insane Embellisher

When I store mine, I cover it with the plastic cover it came with, and store it in it's box. It does a good job of staying sticky, using the MM repositionable spray glue. I re-activate it by wiping it with a damp paper towel, and have cleaned off my mat with a baby wipe, oddly enough. It holds well and I use the blue painters tape around the edges when I spray the glue. Works great!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 AM   #1148
Compulsive Stamper

Help I have major Slice problems!

I have a pink slice - actually it is my third slice - as I had to send the first two back after they started malfunctioning once they were about 3 months old. This pink slice has not been working properly for at least a year and I have all but given up on the whole Slice idea and have since bought a Big Shot. I thought I would try one effort to see if anyone has the same problems with theirs and if there was anything they could do about it?

My Slice is cutting most shapes distorted. Not just a little, but shapes are coming out asymmetrical- for example the butterfly on the Spring card the wings on the left are always larger than the wings on the right and the wings on the right are more rounded (the shape appears "stretched" in an upwards diagonal direction) The worst culprits are the Noteworthy shapes (like Nesties Labels shapes- with the curly brackets type edges - Hope you know what I mean) They are almost always asymmetrical and appear "stretched" again and the cut ends before it gets to the place it started. Very occasionally I get a correct cut on very thin printer paper. All the words are not cutting correctly and all of the loops on cursive words have one thin side and one thick side so they are not strong. The blade is usually positioned in the wrong spot the next time I try to cut so I have to cancel the cut before I start it so that the blade repositions itself correctly. Any shape that is very thin comes out thinner than it should - i.e. the stem of a group of leaves is almost hair-thin. I should have sent this third one back but I got sick of organising it and now it has been more than a year.

I have tried all the usual - adjusting/changing the blade, plugged in to power, I think I have even oiled the machine once.

has anyone had the same problems?
Prov. 11:25
Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #1149
Crimping Master

Tanja, I hope your problem was resolved. I just dropped in to remind people that Slice stuff is on sale at HL this week.

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #1150
Glitter Queen

My Slice is cutting wonky again. Well, maybe not exactly wonky, but not right. When i was cutting the butterfly from the original disc, the blade makes a diagonal cut through the left wing. I tried cutting at different sizes and it still cuts through the design. I did a recalibrate, and checked the blade. All are okay. I just got my machine in February and haven't used it more than maybe 10 times....can anyone tell me if this is a serious problem? I keep it plugged in so the battery is always fully charged. Even a few of my words were cut with a diagonal line ( and always off to the left side.) I think it's such a cute machine (I have the baby bug, the Expression and the Expression 2) and I wanted the Slice because it was small and portable and I could take it to work and cut during my hour lunch... but I've never had great success with it. It tears light paper and won't cut through cardstock or heavy scrapbook paper. Yes, I did check the machine for the fast or medium cut and the other screen listings. I just discovered those today when I ran into problems. Never saw those and I'm not sure what the different screens mean. didn't see them in the instruction manual. Can anyone help me with those? (go into Home, hold the double arrow key and go into those screens).

Thank you in advance !

Mac
Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #1151
Crimping Master

Hay ladies! Just quick reminder that Slice is 50% off at Hobby Lobby this week. Hope that helps somebody!

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #1152
Glitter Queen

HELP....my Slice was a birthday gift in February and I have only used it maybe less than 10 times. I can cut maybe 4-5 designs perfectly and then there is a diagonal cut through the middle of the design. Once it does this, I can't make any more cuts. I have calibrated it each time it starts this, but it doesn't help. I sent a note to making memories (web site) but haven't had a reply. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks !

Mac
Old 07-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #1153
Glitter Queen

Hi Mac,
There are several Yahoo groups for the slice and the following is a tip from the "A Slice of Creativity" group. Hope it helps .
" If you have access to a sewing machine lubricant, a gentle machine oil, or WD-40 you can fix this problem. In the blade housing unit there are two small holes with two lines in between. All you need to do is put a small drop into one of the holes on the bottom of the blade housing. Don't use too much, as more than a small amount can damage the machine. Let the machine sit for a moment, then turn it over and perform a test cut. Some lubricant may appear on the inside wall of the Slice, just wipe that away so it doesn't drip. If it still doesn't cut through on your test cut, let it sit for a moment longer and then try again. This should clear the problem right up."

Joy
Old 07-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #1154
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Mac, I hope Joy's answer fixes your problem. However I have had two slice machines that developed this problem after 2 - 3 months of occasional use. They then had the problem of a diagonal cut (and sometimes semicircular cuts) almost every time. It is due to the blade not coming up (off the paper) when the machine repositions the blade. It seems to be a problem that can develop in the machine. I am on my 3rd Slice machine (first two were replaced by MM) and my current machine does not have this problem although it has other cutting issues (does not cut accurately - shapes are symmetrical etc.) Hopefully your machine will not continue to have problems, but unfortunately I have had a lot of trouble with my Slice machines.
Greetings from cold Australia!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #1155
Compulsive Stamper

Just reread my previous message - I meant in line 5 that "shapes are NOT symmetrical" It is getting late here and my brain is tired!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #1156
Matboard Maniac

Hi Mac!!!
Like Tanja mentioned...I hope that you were able to resolve the problems with your Slice. I unfortunately was not that lucky. I too am on my 4th Slice machine with all 4 not working properly...I look at them daily and want to cry...I had a tremendous amount of money invested in this little machine(s) including ALL the design card and ALL the accessories in both pink and blue.
Blessings,
Valerie Martin
Old 09-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #1157
Glitter Queen

Does anyone still read this board??

I've had my slice for a few months now and it seems to work fine, but I can't figre out what to do with it! Anyone know any good idea sites?

~Erica
Old 09-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #1158
Glitter Queen

Just took my SLICE to the post office to return it. Cost $11.85..at least when I had to return my Expression 2 Anniversary Edition, they paid the postage. Michaels had SLICE cartridges on sale last week and I almost bought one, but if the machine isn't going to cut and sounds like replacements won't last either, I won't bother to invest in any additional supplies. SOOOOOO disappointed in the SLICE. I had planned on getting one for each of my granddaughters for Christmas, but not now.

Thanks to all who replied and tried to help me out. The machine still cuts a line completed through every image...just as someone pointed out: seems like the blade doesn't lift up high enough after the cut to clear the image. Too bad...it looked like it would do a lot. Guess I'll just stick with my baby bug, E and E2 for my scrapping needs.

Mac
Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #1159
Crimping Master

I, too, have a Slice. My mom bought it for me for a Christmas gift. I love the idea of making all the shapes and I've used it quite extensively, but lately I've noticed that my machine also "slices" the image I'm making on the left side. I know there is an upgraded machine that MM promises won't distort the image. I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded their machine and if it is working properly.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #1160
Glitter Queen

I did return my SLICE since it would not stop cutting through an image...and to my surprise I had to pay the return postage ($11.85). At least when I had to return my Expression 2 for a replacement, they sent a prepaid return address label. Anyway, I rec'd a note from them saying they did get the SLICE and would check it out and get back to me in a few days. The next day I rec'd another note saying my new SLICE was being mailed by UPS to me and gave a tracking number. I have put the tracking number in the UPS web site several times (coyp and paste) and it says the tracking number is invalid. I hope I get A machine back....at some point. I will give them maybe another week and then call... makes me nervous that the tracking number is invalid.

Mac