Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #1121
Rubber Obsessor

Hi ladies! I finally found the courage to test out my new Slice. I, of course, started with the heart from the basic elements card. It cut fine. I then tried the cursive "you" at two inches. Uh huh, no can do. I had to go up to four inches. I kept trying to make the two inch work, even calibrated my Slice. I have noticed that I get a tiny cut mark in anything that has a inner hole. Can anyone help me out on that one???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #1122
Rubber Obsessor

Oh and camerabuff, thanks so much for you link to your card! I appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #1123
Polyshrink Goddess

I just bought one from Michaels too. One of my cartridges was broke though. I sent an email to MM a few days ago and am still waiting. The plastic was chipped off the end of the part that reads. So far the machine has been okay. I'm crossing my fingers. I did get everything very discounted though.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #1124
Polyshrink Goddess

More problems with it....it just is not cutting...the paper won't stay down (even though I've used the whole bottle of glue) - no way I could ever get a 1 inch cut that's for sure - not even a 3 inch of the letters and fine detail. I'm so frustrated. I sent another email in. At this point, I just would like a refund but Michael's won't take back the cartridges anyway.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #1125
Crimping Master

TxHoneyBee don't get discouraged. I have had the same problem. Contacting MM they should be able to help you with the cutting problem. I've had that happen to me and I needed to adjust the pressure of the blade.

A suggestion for mcia01h with the paper not staying down. I have found that if you put the edge of the cutter on the edges of the paper, it holds it down a little better. You really don't need to use that much glue. I've had my same bottle for a couple of years. Of course, I don't use the Slice on every card or even every month.

After hearing that Michael's has the cartridges on sale, I took some Christmas money and went to buy 5 cards. I could only get 4, though. Of course the one I really wanted was sold out already. Oh well. I'll be trying my cards tonight. Have fun!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #1126
Matboard Maniac

Oh mcia01h...I am so sorry...I truly feel your pain! I have not one but TWO (thinking the Elite would be better) Slice units...40 Carts. ALL the accesories and neither work for me. I contacted C/S and sent both units in and they claim mine tested fine for them. I guess "FINE" is a matter of perception? Just reading your post made me cry b/c I feel like I threw a ton of money down the toilet.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #1127
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, I am truly frustrated. I am trying to cut the word, Love, from the Remember Me card, and can't. I keep having my paper torn. It truly looks chewed up. Please help!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #1128
Rubber Obsessor

So I changed out my blade which somehow was mangled. I reapplied glue. Finally, I got some decent cuts after changing the blade one more time and readjusting the height of the blade. Wow, this little cutter is high maintenance!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #1129
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHoneybee View Post
Wow, I am truly frustrated. I am trying to cut the word, Love, from the Remember Me card, and can't. I keep having my paper torn. It truly looks chewed up. Please help!

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but sometimes if you hold the Slice down too firmly the blade must really drag along and rips the paper. I found that I only need to hold it still and not bear down on it as it cuts.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #1130
Inking Addict

Michael's has their remaining Slice cards marked down to $4.99. I'm off to my local Michael's tomorrow to see what's left that I don't already have.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #1131
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the tip about holding down too hard. Oh and thanks for the info! BTW, is that in Texas, Michaels I mean?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #1132
Inking Addict

I think all the Michael's craft store are discontinueing their Slice products. I saw the closeout $4.99 price on the die cards their website.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #1133
Cardstock Collector

I saw the ad too!! Super excited to go after church this AM. I tried out my slice last night just to make sure it's still cutting right after using the WD 40, and still no problems. Happy Slicing everyone!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #1134
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyzee View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but sometimes if you hold the Slice down too firmly the blade must really drag along and rips the paper. I found that I only need to hold it still and not bear down on it as it cuts.
Investing in the hands-free collar and mat really makes a difference! You don't have to hold it in place at all. No worries about holding it down too hard or not enough.

Great deal on the cartridges at Michaels, but any cartridge I want that they've carried, I already have!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #1135
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Novell. I did purchase the Hands Free Collar and the mat that goes with it with the rest of the gift card my husband gifted to me for Christmas. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #1136
Inking Addict

I picked up Under The Sea, Jungle,Faith, and Bon Appetit. Earlier this week I picked up Farm Life and Parties. I passed on Babies, Music and Dance and theWestern themed card. Just couldn't see me getting alot out of those. Good thing I had Christmas money to spend today!

I need to get the hands-free collar. My Michaael's were out of those awhile ago. I already have the 12 inch cutting surface but so many times I find myself grabbing the samll cutting surface and saving space on my work table.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #1137
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

Has anyone tried using the embossing blade? how were your results?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #1138
Inking Addict

I have. I was not too impressed with the results. I need to give them a try again some time as long as I have them.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #1139
Cardstock Collector

I've used the embossing tips, as well as the ballpoint tips and drawing tips. They're all just ok for me... I didn't find many projects on which I really wanted to use them. I think the Slice is an excellent cutting machine, but I'm less sold on the other "modes".

Oh, and I cannot recommend highly enough using the hands free kit! Totally transformed my Slicing!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #1140
Rubber Obsessor

So tonight on my way home I stopped by Michael's and bought two more cards. I bought Paws and Claws, and Happy Trails. I live in San Antonio and our Rodeo is almost upon us. It's a pretty big deal in S.A. Not as huge as Houston's but pretty major. The Paws and Claws has an image of a golden, which I have and love to death, so I had to buy that one. I love my Daisy. Can one love their furry companion too much?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #1141
Stazon Splitcoast

Can anyone tell me if you can use the Applique Basics in the regular slice to cut paper? Or do you need the green slice?
thanks in advance.
Blessings.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #1142
Rubber Obsessor

I was reading something on another website that MM is discontinuing the SLICE machine all together. I hope not. Has anyone heard of this? I'm hoping Michael's is just not going to carry it anymore. Has anyone seen SLICE on sale at Hobby Lobby?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #1143
Stampin' Fool

HELP!! Someone??

Ok, so I'm getting a bit frustrated. I had heard previously how wonderful the Making Memories company support was supposed to be. Well, . . . let's just say it's not been a great support week for them.

Tuesday I used my Slice Elite machine - was working fine. I took out the cart and put another one in. It didn't go in all the way so I pushed it in again and it still wouldn't go in. This is when I took a second look at the cart and noticed I had put it in backwards. So I took the cart out, turned it around, and put it in again, which it still would not go in. At that moment I also realized the machine was not on even though it had previously been and I had not shut it off. I tried to turn it on and it won't turn on. And, again, I can't even put a cart in the proper way. -- NOTHING. --

I called Making Memories thinking I would be talking to a live person, got transferred instead to a voice mail and told to leave a message, which I left a detailed message. The message also indicated someone would get back to me within 24-48 hours. My husband thinks they might have called later that day but when he picked up the phone to answer it, the caller disconnected.

Thursday I sent an email detailing the problem again. No response (at least not written) back to that yet.

Friday morning I called them again, same process as Tuesday. I had to leave for work at 2:30 and they did call around 3:00'ish. My husband, whom I had told all of the details and is a very good computer geek, after answering several of their questions to which they answered that putting the cart in backwards should not have stopped the machine from working, needed to go into my craft room to look at the Slice machine or carts or something, accidentally disconnected the call. They haven't called back yet. He then called them again and had to leave another voice mail like on Tuesday.

Has anyone had this problem with the Slice Elite? I never had any real problems when I had my non-Elite Slice. I have also recently bought a bunch of carts on sale because I like using the Slice Elite.

Has anyone had this much difficulty getting responses from Making Memories? Where many of the stores seem to be not wanting to carry the Slice products anymore, I became anxious, called around to see if I could find any on sale, which I couldn't, and ended up buying one at Hobby Lobby just in case I can't get my current one fixed for a reasonable amount. I'm not going to open the new one until I find out for sure.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #1144
Compulsive Stamper

A little nervous after reading the forums - I bought the Slice (not sure if its the Elite one or what) at Michael's for 19.99 and 3 extra design cards (4.99 ea). I also got the 12x12 mat with it. Today I picked up the marker tips and ball point tips and 5 more cartridges. Haven't tried to make much with it yet - but I do know it cut great when I sampled 4 of the cartridges on Friday night. It's the perfect size for me and the price was perfect too - even if Michael's is discontinuing it. Sux that I will have to shop at Hobby Lobby for cartridges since I am a Michael's employee - but those are the breaks.

Hoping that I don't experience the issues I've read about here. Does anyone have any links to great blogs focusing on slice challenges? Would be kinda neat to participate in a slice card creation challenge...
Old 01-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #1145
Rubber Obsessor

Hi wndy26! If you go to the beginning of this Sticky there is a ton of very useful information over some of the glitches you may encounter. I've heard that customer service is great at Making Memories, and they can walk you through any situation that you can't work through from this Sticky. I recently bought my Slice Elite from Michael's when they were marked down to 39.99. I don't mind spending it though cuz I really have enjoyed cutting with it. Have fun!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #1146
Stampin' Fool

Default Yeah! Got a Slice Elite back today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Junky View Post
Ok, so I'm getting a bit frustrated. I had heard previously how wonderful the Making Memories company support was supposed to be. Well, . . . let's just say it's not been a great support week for them.
. . .
Has anyone had this much difficulty getting responses from Making Memories?
Well, problems are all solved. Making Memories customer support called back on the 17th.

They had me try a few things which still did not fix either problem so they had me send the machine in, which I did. Fortunately, it was still under warranty so the only thing I paid was shipping to them. I just received my Slice Elite today --less than a week after I sent it to them.

Absolutely wonderful! Thank you Making Memories.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #1147
Rubber Obsessor

Hi ladies! It's been a long while since anyone posted anything here. I just spent the morning using my Slice to cut out sentiments for my Valentines Day cards. I had only two mishaps and that was only because I still a little unsure of placement of the Slice. I wanted to cut out multiple words from my piece of card stock, and ended over cutting my previous cut. Secondly, it had been awhile since I used my hands free mat so the adhesive was not tacky enough to hold the card stock. I messed up my first attempt, but quickly and easily cleaned up the mat, and reapplied the adhesive. Other than those two stumbles, it was pretty much a successful day of Slicing!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #1148
Crimping Master

TxHoneyBee, I'm so glad to hear that you are having success with your Slice. I've been using my recently and just love it. A friend and I are going to be doing a craft show on 3/31 and I've been using it to help decorate candy bars and things.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #1149
Cardstock Collector

I too am finally loving my Slice. I was able to get a new basics 1 card and can now calibrate my machine. I've done a lot of cutting and it is working beautifully. Thank you to all the ladies on this forum for the great advice. If not for you all, my Slice would have ended up just being a regrettable purchase and sitting on the shelf.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #1150
Compulsive Stamper

Just an update from my post before Christmas. I got the update card, but the machine wouldn't update at all. After of nearly a week of contacting MM via telephone or email, I finally heard back. (found out they only have 1 person in MM- if you can get a hold of her she's great. It was actually someone in accounting that finally answered the CS line and got the ball rolling, I was very grateful. Also for some reason, MM states they've sent me emails and I've never received a single one of them. weird.)

I sent my machine back for a replacement (it was still under warantee) and got it back here in Canada today. It was received in Utah on the 27th of Jan, so it didn't take all that long.

The only thing I'm not happy about is that MM didn't clarify on the customs form that this was a replacement, not a purchase, and I had to pay Duty.

I've lived without the Slice for 3 months waiting for my issue to be resolved. There were sometimes that I missed it, but overall, I did just fine without it. I'm worried it will breakdown again outside of the warantee period (only have a few months left) and I really don't want to pay another round of shipping and duty. Now I just have to figure out if I'm going to sell it, or keep it.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #1151
Rubber Obsessor

Is it better to use the regular mat or the magnetic hands free mat? I just purchased a slice and was wondering which one is better. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #1152
Insane Embellisher

I prefer the Hands Free. So much easier for me......
Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #1153
Rubber Obsessor

Hands free is the way to go, definitely. IMHO
Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #1154
Rubber Obsessor

Cool thanks. I cannot wait to get my slice. Hopefully I use it often. I never used my cricut. So I hope I use this one lol.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #1155
Rubber Obsessor

This will eventually be a gift for my niece and nephew.

I am planning on inking them up and adding little bling to my niece's.
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #1156
Rubber Obsessor

This will eventually be a gift for my niece and nephew.

I am planning on inking them up and adding a little bling to my niece's.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #1157
Rubber Obsessor

Oops, a double entry. Can someone delete one of the messages? Sorry....
Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #1158
Cardstock Collector

Txhoneybee, what a great gift for your niece and nephew - lovely idea!

I just posted a new entry on my blog, about how I'm using my Slice for journaling spots in my Project Life album. Feel free to take a look!

Click here to view.

Been a Slice gal for nearly 3.5 years and still loving it.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #1159
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Caroline! Thanks for inviting me to see your Slice adornments! I really like how you use your cut images for your Journaling pages. Do you have the hands free system? I love my Slice especially now that I have my hands free system. It really makes using the Slice so much more enjoyable.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #1160
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Caroline. I revisited your site and see you do use the hands free system. I love what you do with the Slice!