Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #1081
Stazon Splitcoast

one thing I have found with my slice is....instead of using the glue in the tube I purchased the re-positionable spray and now I don't have the issue of it being too sticky and ripping my papers. Just something I have found...has anyone else noticed this?
blessings.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #1082
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtchick View Post
one thing I have found with my slice is....instead of using the glue in the tube I purchased the re-positionable spray and now I don't have the issue of it being too sticky and ripping my papers. Just something I have found...has anyone else noticed this?
blessings.
Yes Amber, I too use the spray and find it a lot easier, with no paper problems. It's also easier to remove from my glass mat when I go to re-spray. Love it!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #1083
Cardstock Collector

Default Spray adhesive removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetostamp3 View Post
Yes Amber, I too use the spray and find it a lot easier, with no paper problems. It's also easier to remove from my glass mat when I go to re-spray. Love it!
I was just wondering how is the best or easiest way to remove the spray adhesive from the hands free mat? I have used a water and a scrubbing sponge but it was a little messy and hard to keep the water off the embossing side of the mat.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #1084
Glitter Queen

Question

I haven't tried the spray glue, although I do have a can. I keep trying to use the tube glue and I can only do one cut and it dries. I've tried to put more on, put less on...can't seem to find a happy medium. If anyone has the cricut and the sticky mats, can you tell me how to put glue on hands free Slice mat and cover with wax paper so it comes out like the cricut mats?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated - thank you in advance...

Mac
Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #1085
Hardware Hotshot

I don't bother trying to get all of it off of the mat. I just use a sponge on it, then dry it with a towel. When it dries, it's sticky again, and I can usually do that a few times before I have to reapply anymore adhesive spray.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #1086
Insane Embellisher

When I store mine, I cover it with the plastic cover it came with, and store it in it's box. It does a good job of staying sticky, using the MM repositionable spray glue. I re-activate it by wiping it with a damp paper towel, and have cleaned off my mat with a baby wipe, oddly enough. It holds well and I use the blue painters tape around the edges when I spray the glue. Works great!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 AM   #1087
Compulsive Stamper

Help I have major Slice problems!

I have a pink slice - actually it is my third slice - as I had to send the first two back after they started malfunctioning once they were about 3 months old. This pink slice has not been working properly for at least a year and I have all but given up on the whole Slice idea and have since bought a Big Shot. I thought I would try one effort to see if anyone has the same problems with theirs and if there was anything they could do about it?

My Slice is cutting most shapes distorted. Not just a little, but shapes are coming out asymmetrical- for example the butterfly on the Spring card the wings on the left are always larger than the wings on the right and the wings on the right are more rounded (the shape appears "stretched" in an upwards diagonal direction) The worst culprits are the Noteworthy shapes (like Nesties Labels shapes- with the curly brackets type edges - Hope you know what I mean) They are almost always asymmetrical and appear "stretched" again and the cut ends before it gets to the place it started. Very occasionally I get a correct cut on very thin printer paper. All the words are not cutting correctly and all of the loops on cursive words have one thin side and one thick side so they are not strong. The blade is usually positioned in the wrong spot the next time I try to cut so I have to cancel the cut before I start it so that the blade repositions itself correctly. Any shape that is very thin comes out thinner than it should - i.e. the stem of a group of leaves is almost hair-thin. I should have sent this third one back but I got sick of organising it and now it has been more than a year.

I have tried all the usual - adjusting/changing the blade, plugged in to power, I think I have even oiled the machine once.

has anyone had the same problems?
Prov. 11:25
Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #1088
Crimping Master

Tanja, I hope your problem was resolved. I just dropped in to remind people that Slice stuff is on sale at HL this week.

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #1089
Glitter Queen

My Slice is cutting wonky again. Well, maybe not exactly wonky, but not right. When i was cutting the butterfly from the original disc, the blade makes a diagonal cut through the left wing. I tried cutting at different sizes and it still cuts through the design. I did a recalibrate, and checked the blade. All are okay. I just got my machine in February and haven't used it more than maybe 10 times....can anyone tell me if this is a serious problem? I keep it plugged in so the battery is always fully charged. Even a few of my words were cut with a diagonal line ( and always off to the left side.) I think it's such a cute machine (I have the baby bug, the Expression and the Expression 2) and I wanted the Slice because it was small and portable and I could take it to work and cut during my hour lunch... but I've never had great success with it. It tears light paper and won't cut through cardstock or heavy scrapbook paper. Yes, I did check the machine for the fast or medium cut and the other screen listings. I just discovered those today when I ran into problems. Never saw those and I'm not sure what the different screens mean. didn't see them in the instruction manual. Can anyone help me with those? (go into Home, hold the double arrow key and go into those screens).

Thank you in advance !

Mac
Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #1090
Crimping Master

Hay ladies! Just quick reminder that Slice is 50% off at Hobby Lobby this week. Hope that helps somebody!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #1091
Glitter Queen

HELP....my Slice was a birthday gift in February and I have only used it maybe less than 10 times. I can cut maybe 4-5 designs perfectly and then there is a diagonal cut through the middle of the design. Once it does this, I can't make any more cuts. I have calibrated it each time it starts this, but it doesn't help. I sent a note to making memories (web site) but haven't had a reply. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks !

Mac
Old 07-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #1092
Glitter Queen

Hi Mac,
There are several Yahoo groups for the slice and the following is a tip from the "A Slice of Creativity" group. Hope it helps .
" If you have access to a sewing machine lubricant, a gentle machine oil, or WD-40 you can fix this problem. In the blade housing unit there are two small holes with two lines in between. All you need to do is put a small drop into one of the holes on the bottom of the blade housing. Don't use too much, as more than a small amount can damage the machine. Let the machine sit for a moment, then turn it over and perform a test cut. Some lubricant may appear on the inside wall of the Slice, just wipe that away so it doesn't drip. If it still doesn't cut through on your test cut, let it sit for a moment longer and then try again. This should clear the problem right up."

Joy
Old 07-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #1093
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Mac, I hope Joy's answer fixes your problem. However I have had two slice machines that developed this problem after 2 - 3 months of occasional use. They then had the problem of a diagonal cut (and sometimes semicircular cuts) almost every time. It is due to the blade not coming up (off the paper) when the machine repositions the blade. It seems to be a problem that can develop in the machine. I am on my 3rd Slice machine (first two were replaced by MM) and my current machine does not have this problem although it has other cutting issues (does not cut accurately - shapes are symmetrical etc.) Hopefully your machine will not continue to have problems, but unfortunately I have had a lot of trouble with my Slice machines.
Greetings from cold Australia!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #1094
Compulsive Stamper

Just reread my previous message - I meant in line 5 that "shapes are NOT symmetrical" It is getting late here and my brain is tired!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #1095
Matboard Maniac

Hi Mac!!!
Like Tanja mentioned...I hope that you were able to resolve the problems with your Slice. I unfortunately was not that lucky. I too am on my 4th Slice machine with all 4 not working properly...I look at them daily and want to cry...I had a tremendous amount of money invested in this little machine(s) including ALL the design card and ALL the accessories in both pink and blue.
Blessings,
Valerie Martin
Old 09-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #1096
Glitter Queen

Does anyone still read this board??

I've had my slice for a few months now and it seems to work fine, but I can't figre out what to do with it! Anyone know any good idea sites?

~Erica
Old 09-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #1097
Glitter Queen

Just took my SLICE to the post office to return it. Cost $11.85..at least when I had to return my Expression 2 Anniversary Edition, they paid the postage. Michaels had SLICE cartridges on sale last week and I almost bought one, but if the machine isn't going to cut and sounds like replacements won't last either, I won't bother to invest in any additional supplies. SOOOOOO disappointed in the SLICE. I had planned on getting one for each of my granddaughters for Christmas, but not now.

Thanks to all who replied and tried to help me out. The machine still cuts a line completed through every image...just as someone pointed out: seems like the blade doesn't lift up high enough after the cut to clear the image. Too bad...it looked like it would do a lot. Guess I'll just stick with my baby bug, E and E2 for my scrapping needs.

Mac
Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #1098
Crimping Master

I, too, have a Slice. My mom bought it for me for a Christmas gift. I love the idea of making all the shapes and I've used it quite extensively, but lately I've noticed that my machine also "slices" the image I'm making on the left side. I know there is an upgraded machine that MM promises won't distort the image. I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded their machine and if it is working properly.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #1099
Glitter Queen

I did return my SLICE since it would not stop cutting through an image...and to my surprise I had to pay the return postage ($11.85). At least when I had to return my Expression 2 for a replacement, they sent a prepaid return address label. Anyway, I rec'd a note from them saying they did get the SLICE and would check it out and get back to me in a few days. The next day I rec'd another note saying my new SLICE was being mailed by UPS to me and gave a tracking number. I have put the tracking number in the UPS web site several times (coyp and paste) and it says the tracking number is invalid. I hope I get A machine back....at some point. I will give them maybe another week and then call... makes me nervous that the tracking number is invalid.

Mac
Old 09-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #1100
Stazon Splitcoast

The tracking number is probably not good until the package is picked up and scanned by the freight service (UPS?). I wouldn't worry. I had to send my first Slice in for repair and got it back in a jiffy.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #1101
Cardstock Collector

I just bought the slice elite at michaels. Was so excited to open And use it, but now I am a bit frustrated! I am having two problems.

First, one of my replacement blade is broken. When i opened the package and opened the replacement blade end tool, a small piece of the blade was broken and just feel out of the container. Do you know if MM will replace this?

Second, not all of my shapes are cutting accurately.
Most of my shapes seem to cut pretty well EXCEPT for the scallop and the square. For the life of me, I can't get my Slice to cut them accurately. The scallop starts off nicely.... but then at some point, the half circles start to cut side way and makes the shape seem a little sloppy. (not sure how to explain it). Is anyone having the same problem with the scallop shape? and my square cut almost perfect but a little bit off. I can't cut it so it looks like a PErfect square.

I already calibrate my machine which I shouldnt have to do on a brand new product.

What does this mean btw? Radial home offset and rational home offset. My radial home offset is set to level 0 and rational home offset is set to level 2. Is this the correct levels for the offsets?

Also, does anyone know if I can return or exchange an opened Slice machine at Michaels? If I can't fix the problems, I definitely don't want to keep it.

Suggestions on how to fix the problems?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #1102
Cardstock Collector

Also, how come my basic elements design card (the one that comes with the Slice Elite starter kit) does not allow me to cut the image in mirror design mode? It allows me to cut normally or shadow but no mirror. I thought the new cards allow three cutting design mode? Or am I using the slice wrong?

Sorry so many questions. This is my first slice and die cut machine.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #1103
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativenewbie View Post
Also, how come my basic elements design card (the one that comes with the Slice Elite starter kit) does not allow me to cut the image in mirror design mode? It allows me to cut normally or shadow but no mirror. I thought the new cards allow three cutting design mode? Or am I using the slice wrong?

Sorry so many questions. This is my first slice and die cut machine.
MM has great customer service. I'm sure they'd be happy to send you a replacement blade. Did you home the cutter before using it?? Lastly, it may not be the machine at all. It may, in fact, be a faulty design card. Email MM at customerservice@makingmemories.com and let them know. They'll send you a replacement card and if that doesn't fix it then they'll look at working on the machine. OR, you could exchange it at the store you purchased it at for a new one.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #1104
Crimping Master

I just listed a bunch of Slice carts on the B/S/T here if anyone is interested.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #1105
Compulsive Stamper

I'm having some serious issues with my Slice. It's only a few months old, but it won't cut properly consistently.
Shapes are disfigured, if they cut at all. sometimes the blade doesn't come up and then the whole shape is cut in half.
I've emailed MM, so I'm hoping they can help. It's incredibly frustrating to have it work for 5 minutes, then all of a sudden it goes all wonky!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #1106
Inking Addict

Stephanie I just discovered that if I use my Slice unplugged I have an issue cutting. As long as I have it plugged in it cuts beautifully. I have one of the original Slices and it's almost two years old already. Hope you can resolve your issues and get to enjoy your Slice.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:18 AM   #1107
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyzee View Post
Stephanie I just discovered that if I use my Slice unplugged I have an issue cutting. As long as I have it plugged in it cuts beautifully. I have one of the original Slices and it's almost two years old already. Hope you can resolve your issues and get to enjoy your Slice.
I've found this true with mine also. But, after discovering this site, I contacted CS and they told me to use WD40 on the two slots near the blade. To let it soak in a little and then try a cut. I did this and now my slice is working fine. Don't know why this worked, but it did.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #1108
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlarnold View Post
I've found this true with mine also. But, after discovering this site, I contacted CS and they told me to use WD40 on the two slots near the blade. To let it soak in a little and then try a cut. I did this and now my slice is working fine. Don't know why this worked, but it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyzee View Post

Thanks for your notes! I spoke to Lee at MM today (she was wonderful!) I hadn't used it since I sent my email last week, and when we tried to cut a letter, the blade wouldn't lift up at all. She's sending me a new Basics card, and an update card, she thinks that will solve the issue. If not, I"ll have to send the machine in as a last resort. It's still under warranty at least

She did ask me to plug it in, and we got the same result.

I typically cut with the machine plugged in because I was tired of it just stopping mid cut when the battery was low...I wish it had a warning before you started cutting.

Interesting to note that both of you found it better to be plugged in.

I had accepted that some of the designs weren't working, but I was counting on using my Slice to cut letters for a gift wrapping idea I had for my Christmas gifts. I'm going to try again tomorrow (I don't think I'll get the update card for a few weeks now) and I'll try it plugged in. I also have some WD40, so I might as well try it too!

Thanks!!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #1109
Die Cut Diva

Does anyone know of a Slice card that has the months of the year?

I'm trying to do calendars (about a dozen) and sure would love the names of the months w/the letters welded together instead of working with all those letters individually!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #1110
Rubber Obsessor

I just bought 2 new cartridges for my slice and just found this thread. Now I need to go back and look through it all
Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #1111
Rubber Obsessor

So i have recently just dug out my slice as my michaels was clearing out the cartridges at 9.99 and I have bought 7 new ones. My problem is my slice will not cut. everytime I try and cut an X shows up pn the screeen. Anyone have any tips?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #1112
Crimping Master

Jenny, is the X big on the entire screen or little and off to the side of the screen?

Cherie
Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #1113
Rubber Obsessor

So the X was small but I figured out the problem. I wasnt pressing the cut button Apprently i t has been awhile since I hve used it. But not to worry I have just bought10 new cards in the last 3 days from Michaels cause they were only 9.99! I am so excited now.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #1114
Crimping Master

Jenny, glad to hear you figured out the problem. That was my thought about the X. I'm going to have to check out Michaels for the cards. Happy Slicing!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #1115
Rubber Obsessor

I just bought a Slice Elite from Michaels for 39.99. Did I make a wise choice? Why is it so deeply discounted? I feel like I should be happy about this purchase, but am unsure since I don't know much about the Slice. Does anyone have pictures of projects they made with the Slice?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #1116
Stazon Splitcoast

It was deeply discounted because Michaels is no longer going to carry the product. I don't think they can compete with online markets.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #1117
Rubber Obsessor

Whew, well since it is a great deal, I would love to share with everyone to go to Michael's quickly because they have everything associated with the Slice marked drastically down. Joann's sale doesn't touch the prices at Michael's. I need to go back, now....
Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #1118
Compulsive Stamper

Glad that Michael is closing out the slice and not that the slice is being dropped by making memories. Bought one for my daughter and several cards for me. Love a bargain.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #1119
Rubber Obsessor

I have spent hours reading over each and every post in the Stickie! And though I am a newbie, just now plugged in my new Slice Elite to charge, I wanted to thank everyone who posted an experience, bad or good; a question; or helpful hints to get a better performance from their Slice. You ladies are awesome, and so I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #1120
Crimping Master

Here's a card that I made using my Slice. MMTPT154, For Rita by camerabuff - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

The flower petals and the fence were made using the Slice. I also make tags, oh, and my Christmas cards I used a snowflake and a swirl. That card is the 1st one I posted http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=265184. But I made about 20 of them. The only suggestion I have is to make sure your paper isn't to heavy for the machine. 110 card stock is too thick. It won't cut the items out completely and then you have to sit and hand cut them. I LOVE the machine. And lucky you for getting a good deal on it!