Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #1041
Glitter Queen

Default Goodbye & Hello

Well I said goodbye to my Cricut Expression this morning (sold it) and I have just ordered:

Slice Hands Free Kit
Bon Appetit Slice Design Card
Just Chillin Slice Design Card

Soooo excited!!! Can't wait to get them
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #1042
Hardware Hotshot

yay PKitty! I'm glad you're enjoying your Slice so much, esp after the problems you had a while back.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #1043
Proud Fan Club Member

Thought I would add my Funny Slice Story! For Christmas DH bought me a "purse" When it arrived and I opened it up it was the designer case for the Slice and Design cards. I did NOT own a Slice, in fact had no clue what it was about. Well, decided to google it and see what it was. Really wasn't tempted since I have the original cricut and used that. Well, happened to be at a shop after Christmas and found the Infomercial kit for $125. Good thing DH didn't return the bag!! Love the price of the design cards. Love the portability and size, just right for card makeing. Now I use my Cricut for makeing the cards and boxes and the Slice for the embelishments!!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #1044
Hardware Hotshot

What a great surprise!! I hope you love yours as much as we love ours!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #1045
Stazon Splitcoast

oh..you ladies are going to love the Slice units! dont forget to look on Ebay for design cards..I have picked up a few for under $10.00. blessings and Happy New Year ladies!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #1046
Glitter Queen

Default My Orders

Yay!!!!!

One of my orders just arrived!!! I can't believe it got here so quickly! it was the one with the Hands Free Kit & Bon Appetit Design Card in it
Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #1047
Glitter Queen

The hands free kit makes using the slice even more fun! It's just awesome! I do however keeping going to put my hands on the slice though, I'm sure I will get out of that habit quickly though
Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #1048
Glitter Queen

*sigh* I just made some test cuts on some scrapbooking paper to see how the cuts would come out from my new cards (the second one arrived today) and put down the paper I wanted to use on my card and the slice went to cut but all that happened was whirring/clunky noises and then an error message saying "an error had occured" with 3 question marks and telling me to press menu key

I've just contacted the local supplier and will just have to wait and see things were going so well!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #1049
Glitter Queen

Finally some good news

They said I should just send it back and they will replace it with the new model slice - yay!!!!!!!!!!

I'm boxing it up now!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #1050
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh...I am so sorry you are going to have to go thru the process to replace the unit...at least they are pretty quick about exchanging it...you will be "slicing" again in no time...lol
blessings.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #1051
Glitter Queen

This will be my 2nd replacement machine, so fingers crossed it all goes well, the customer service I have received through out has been amazing!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #1052
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskitty View Post
This will be my 2nd replacement machine, so fingers crossed it all goes well, the customer service I have received through out has been amazing!
I've always had good customer service, too. Good luck, and I hope you get your machine back quickly!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #1053
Hardware Hotshot

Slice stuff on sale at Hobby Lobby this week!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #1054
Hardware Hotshot

yay! I bought a can of spray adhesive and the summer card while on sale! Now, I have all of the cards I want of their current selection. I'm ready for more to choose from. I want a new/different party card. I don't like the current one enough to buy it. It is too 5 year old girl for me. And while I LOVE Bon Appetite, I haven't been able to convince myself to get it, because I don't know when I'd ever use it.

What new cards would you like to see? I love one with a good font. If it's all scripty, I don't like it. I choose for the font more than for the words or shapes. Although I recently bought Zootopia for BOTH the font and the shapes! I love that card. I'll use the font more than the shapes, but I LOVE those critters! And I love the paper piecing effect, too.

What about you?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #1055
Cardstock Collector

Wow...lots of great info. I have the Slice from when it first came out and I must have been one of the lucky ones, no problems but did do the card exchange. Though I haven't used it alot, I just can't get over the space saving! Everything fits into the handbag! Well, with the exception of the newer bigger stuff mat, handfree etc..
I can haul 30 plus cards, all the tools in the kit, mat and machine in one handbag and carry like a regular handbag....how great is that! Everything in one place always ready to go. Another big plus very affordable too.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #1056
Hardware Hotshot

Glad you found us! I love that about it, too.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #1057
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebugstamper View Post
I have the pink Slice, am not a Scrapbooker and only make cards. You NEED the Slice because it's the perfect size for cutting images for cardmaking. I use it all of the time for alphabets (one comes in each cartridge) ~ I like to put someone's name on the front of a card ~ unless it's something line Samantha ~ shorter names like my brother, Dan. The shadow possibility is great, too, even with the names. I love the magnetic mat and have both sizes. Now I have to learn how to use my embossing kit. Always something new but the Slice is so portable and cuts almost anything you could want from 1" to 4". I only have that and my Big Shot and use both a LOT!

Bug
Ditto, I'm with you!!! I too have the Pink Slice and love it with all my "pink" accessories. If you're into cards the Slice is perfect for that with it's 4" size (though sometimes I wish they could go a bit bigger on a few things).

I have more than enough design cards, although they keep coming out with one or two I can't seem to live without; and so far no problems with it! I also have a very old Cuttlebug and a new Vagabond, so I feel set to cut into anything I might need....a happy little pig with all my stuff to create.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #1058
Matboard Maniac

Hi Ladies!!!
I am so glad that you are so happy with your machines and they have worked for you guys. I returned my to MM and they returned it back saying it was perfectly acceptable...but even the cuts that THEY made and sent back to me were all wonky...So my sweet employee "friend" at Michael's told me to come in and they would open a new one and "label it for a demo" and compare my cuts to their cuts and we could compare. So yesterday I went in and we both "played with the machines...side/by/side and cut4cut...and the store's was just as wonky as my. It was just not my opinion...She said that the cut were not acceptable to her either. WE even asked several other "shoppers" in the store to look at the cut...We even asked other employee's and managers to "come and see" and we were all in agreement that the cuts WERE IN FACT WONKY...and all agreed that none would be acceptable on ANY project.

If it is not too much trouble ladies...could you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...test cut at both 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch all the basic shapes....
Circle
Square
Star
Scallop
Flowers
ETC.
Are you guys seriously getting "PERFECT" cuts on these basic shapes at 1 and 1 1/2 inch?
Once I get to 2 inches and bigger...the cut are much better...so that leaves me MORE limited than originally thought at only being able to cut images at only 2, 2 1/2, 3, 3 1/2 and most of the time my images won't cut at the 4 inch setting.
Thanks you all so much for trying this out and for all your comments and suggestions...I read and try every one of them b/c I really WANT to LOVE this machine.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #1059
Hardware Hotshot

I'll cut some for you. Why don't you cut some and scan them in so that we can see how our cuts compare? I'm going to go and make the cuts for you.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #1060
Hardware Hotshot

see if this works. trouble with scanner.shoot...I hate technology sometimes! It won't work. sorry.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #1061
Rubber Obsessor

I've never used a circle, star, square and scallop with my Slice. I guess I've always used my punches and Nestibilities but I will give it a try and post my results for you. I hope I don't have the trouble you do. I'll also ask my friends here in So. Cal. to try it and get back to you. Sorry for your bad luck!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #1062
Hardware Hotshot

trying it again. yay! it worked!
Attached Thumbnails
scan0001.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #1063
Hardware Hotshot

As you can see, mine aren't perfect, but I'm perfectly happy with them. They are the smallest the machine will cut, and it's just not capable of getting better than that. Some of the images they don't even offer an option of going this small, but I'd rather have the option and choose for myself whether or not to use the image.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #1064
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't calibrated it since I got the Elite, so I should probably do that. I'll bet I'd get a straighter line.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #1065
Stazon Splitcoast

Has the unit charged for at least 24 hours before you used it? It doesnt sound like that is the case for the one in the store if you just opened and used it...just trying to trouble shoot here...Also..my friend was using mine and her cuts were all weird and I figured out she was holding it down way to tightly to the mat....Hope something helps.
blessings.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #1066
Glitter Queen

I've just heard back from the supplier my new slice machine should be posted out today but not sure how long it will take to reach me due to all the floods but I'm still very excited that it's on it's way!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #1067
Pearl-ExPert

My slice won't turn on at all. I've always kept it on the charger so it will be ready to go. It is the G6 model but has only been used a handful of times. I have unplugged it from the charger and tried plugging it back in but still nothing. Anyone have any idea's?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #1068
Compulsive Stamper

if you keep it on the charger all the time you probely ruined the battery, batteries need to run down before you charge them again.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #1069
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckMagic View Post
if you keep it on the charger all the time you probely ruined the battery, batteries need to run down before you charge them again.
There is nothing wrong with the battery it is working fine. MM says that it can stay plugged in all the time. My husband checked the battery and it has lots of voltage.

I called MM today and they are going to send me out another basic 1 card. They think that one of the cartridges may not have been compatible and this new card will reset my machine. I hope so.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #1070
Stazon Splitcoast

I too keep mine plugged in all the time between uses...so far no issues with it.
blessings.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #1071
Glitter Queen

Wink to slice or not to slice

I was debating about getting the slice. I went on the Michaels site to price it, and the only review listed said it was a waste of money. I've read so many threads about it cutting wonky, and having issues...but so does the cricut. I bought my original personal cutter (baby bug) for $114. at Walmart in Dec 2007; upgraded to the Expression on Black Friday Nov 2009 for $188. I keep the E setting on a separate smaller computer desk, and my grandkids use the baby bug. I do take it to crops since it has the handle and is easier to carry. I have only 20 carts and don't plan on expanding my library as they seem to have everything I need for my greeting cards. I was toying with the idea of getting the Slice because of it's size and being portable. Still not sure. I think I'll hold off until Black Friday this year and if it has a good price, I might go for it then.

Thank you all for the comments and helpful suggestions...

Mac
Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #1072
Hardware Hotshot

Hey Mac! Yeah, if there's anything you want to know about the Slice, it's here on this thread! We're glad to answer new questions, but the answers are all here somewhere! Good luck!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #1073
Compulsive Stamper

Do any of the slice cards have clouds? In need of some clouds. TIA Jo Ann
Old 03-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #1074
Cardstock Collector

Default Cloud Shapes for the Slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iupindiana View Post
Do any of the slice cards have clouds? In need of some clouds. TIA Jo Ann
No. The nearest to a cloud is the body of a sheep on two of the newer ‘layering’ cards.

Would the cloud shapes below be of any use?

Images Sources:
Cloud01, Cloud02, Cloud03 from
Some Clouds For My Spring Flowers SVG | My Cricut Scrapbooking

Cloud04 from
Free SVG File (Sure Cuts A Lot) 01.12.10 – Cloud Nine Caption*|*SVGCuts.com

Cloud05 from
Simple Clouds - OpenClipArt

Attached Thumbnails
clouds-contact-sheet-images.jpg  

Last edited by The Wizard; 03-01-2011 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: Added links to the image sources websites
Old 03-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #1075
Insane Embellisher

The Slice Elite is on sale at Michael's for 40% off, along with all Slice accessories.....good deal!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #1076
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDeb View Post
I put plastic wrap over my glass mat when not using it, seems to stay sticky quite a while. Also like the idea of spray adhesive...will try it after I use up the 12 tubes of glue I just bought, lol!
-----------
hmmm. just got my first Slice last week (birthday gift) and I have to use new glue for each paper I use. By the time I've cut on 8.5X11 sheet, the paper is glued to the mat and tears when I lift it, ruining some of the designs. I've had to try and get the cuts off before losing them. Today I bought the 12x12 hands free set up...seems to help a lot but the glue issue is still not good. Do you usually only put the glue on for one-time use, even if cutting for maybe 1/2 hour at a time? My thought was wow: I'll be using a lot of glue if I have to do this for each page I cut. I did buy the Slice spray glue but wanted to use up the little tube that cam with my bundle kit (from Shop Tuesday Morning). Any tips will be very much appreciated ! (I also have the E and baby bug cricuts, which I LOVE).

thanks

Mac
Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #1077
Glitter Queen

Default calibrate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin in Okc View Post
I haven't calibrated it since I got the Elite, so I should probably do that. I'll bet I'd get a straighter line.

---
I noticed the calibrate icon on the basic cart today - did use it and all it did was make lines....what is the purpose of this cut?? (Just got the slice last Sunday as a gift)

thanks
mac
Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #1078
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4551 View Post
-----------
hmmm. just got my first Slice last week (birthday gift) and I have to use new glue for each paper I use. By the time I've cut on 8.5X11 sheet, the paper is glued to the mat and tears when I lift it, ruining some of the designs. I've had to try and get the cuts off before losing them. Today I bought the 12x12 hands free set up...seems to help a lot but the glue issue is still not good. Do you usually only put the glue on for one-time use, even if cutting for maybe 1/2 hour at a time? My thought was wow: I'll be using a lot of glue if I have to do this for each page I cut. I did buy the Slice spray glue but wanted to use up the little tube that cam with my bundle kit (from Shop Tuesday Morning). Any tips will be very much appreciated ! (I also have the E and baby bug cricuts, which I LOVE).

thanks

Mac
As far as the glue goes you may be using too much and not letting it dry completely. The glass mat should feel tacky but not wet. I hope that helps. I can make a lot of cuts without having to reapply the adhesive. Also if your mat is still tacky you can cover it with either wax paper or plastic wrap to preserve the glue. I am now using the spray and like it much better.
I also use my Xacto knife to lift the cut pieces off the glass mat, with the spatula my edges were getting bent and wrinkled.
there are a lot of tips on this thread as well as at the whyslice.com website also check out YouTube.
Enjoy your Slice
Geralyn
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #1079
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4551 View Post
---
I noticed the calibrate icon on the basic cart today - did use it and all it did was make lines....what is the purpose of this cut?? (Just got the slice last Sunday as a gift)

thanks
mac
Calibrating your Slice will help your cuts be more precise. You should have gotten directions on how to calibrate with your machine. If not just google calibrate the Slice and you should find a direction manual also try searching the Making Memories site.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #1080
Glitter Queen

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriNY View Post
Calibrating your Slice will help your cuts be more precise. You should have gotten directions on how to calibrate with your machine. If not just google calibrate the Slice and you should find a direction manual also try searching the Making Memories site.

thank you GeriNY. I did not receive any info with my bundle kit with instructions to calibrate. I did google it and printed the 4 pages. Had no idea what that was for. Again, thank you for taking the time to explain it.

I tried cutting again tonight and just can't seem to get a hang on putting the glue on the 12x12 mat. It dries almost instantly and won't stick and when I put more on, it's too wet. I know there is a happy medium...guess I will just have to play with it until I figure it out. I might just be too used to my cricut mats.

I'm so thrilled to be on this Message Board again. I was only jumping on the Cricut MB, but they've had so many technical problems it's frustrating. Then, the topics were changed around, a lot eliminated...and once again, adds to the frustration. Actually, someone from the cricut site directed me to this site for the Slice...and now I'm checking all posts.

Great to be back !

Mac