Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #1001
Pearl-ExPert

well...am excited because I found out that there is a 6x6 hands free mat which I had no clue was available, ordered that and the collar, with one MS design card.

My little stamping area is just way too small to use the large 12x12..so this one is just perfect!

Now..the waiting....the waiting......
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #1002
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin in Okc View Post
Congrats SanJose! I hope you love it, and that it works good for you!
I hope so too Erin : ) Really was torn about ordering it, especially given that I had the original one and felt that MM should have done something to make the original one work like this new elite one...but oh well.

Have decided that my original one will be used for teaching scrapbook classes (just finished the SDU training and am now in the process of working with my local Michaels to set up the first set of classes : )
Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #1003
Stazon Splitcoast

I've had the slice for over a month now, and I do love it
just bought the vintage card from oh my crafts, cant wait to use it
Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #1004
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtchick View Post
Ok..new Slice Elite plugged in last night ready to use this evening with the new Hands Free Pink set...cant wait to play!
blessings
oh man just bought the regular slice and now a new one!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #1005
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatingisfun View Post
You should just enjoy your new 'old' one! Mine worked great. If it hadn't been Christmas I wouldn't have bought the new one. I'm gifting my perfectly good 'old' one to my friend who doesn't have any kind of die cut machine, because it's still perfectly good. So have fun with your NEW toy!!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #1006
Stazon Splitcoast

Like Erin...my original Slice worked fine...It was just a good deal for the new one and I wanted the 12 x 12 hands free mat too so I got the whole shebang..I too am gifting my oringial and 5 design cards, the new 6 x 6 mat and lots of other goodies to my sweet friend. She does not have the means to purchase a die cut unit and I know she will be just blown away by this gift...I also went on EBAY and purchased 4 new design cards for her so she will have a variety...I got Basics 2 brand new for $7.50...how can you beat prices like that for brand new?
blessings.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #1007
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatingisfun View Post
That's how I felt, just bought the pink one this year.... but I'm enjoying it and don't plan to rush out and upgrade. Enjoy what you have, it works great and you'll love it!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #1008
Pearl-ExPert

well....the new elite slice that came on the 10th of Dec is going back, wonky cuts, no cuts at all, grinding noise.....the blade is not retracting on many cuts, resulting in ripped and destroyed cuts.

I adjusted the blade, homed the machine and still it is not working right, am SO disappointed, was so LOOKING forward to using the new Elite....

So...stay tuned (I also left the machine in to charge overnight, out of 20 cuts about 18 of them were destroyed).
Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #1009
Matboard Maniac

I am SO sorry San Jose Lady!!!
I was really hoping that I just got a dud (very common for me to pick "the ONE dud" for everything.)
I got my Elite back from MM and the report was that it was fine. They sent me the cuts they cut (remember that I sent them the wonky cut I cut originally) and the cut they cut were just as wonky as mine. They claim that those cut were perfect. I really did not know what to think.
My husband and I just kept looking at a 1in circle cut with a punch...perfect. Then we looked at the Elite cut and WOW...all we could say is WOW that MM think this is a perfect cut.
I was really hoping that mine was just a fluke...I truly am sorry that you are having a tough time with yours.
I have a sweet worker "friend" at Michaels and she said I can exchange mine. However she agreed to open the "new" one with me and together we are going to "PLAY" with both units sided by side and compare the cuts. She said that which ever unit I did not take home she would keep as a store demo.
I am so thankful that she is willing to help me. I do not have any crafting buddies and I wish I could get together with some of you sweet ladies and just "PLAY" (code for craft together)
I don't mean to be a "fuddy duddy" but I just wanted to share my honest findings. I am so happy for all of you who have managed to get a properly working Slice.
Blessings,
Valerie
Old 12-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #1010
Pearl-ExPert

I am just so disappointed right now....am not sure that I will keep the new Elite, my old one works fine, better then the new one I might add, and given the issues I have had with MM (poor customer service, having to argue with them for months to get them to fix my original machine).

Truthfully I thought that they would have these issues fixed with the second go round of the machine...and I really don't think that a brand new out of the box machine should need to be "oiled" by me, shouldn't it arrive in WORKING condition from the factory?

If I send it back and they "fix" it and after three months it doesn't work, I am out of luck, even though the machine started with an issue.

My two cents: hold off on buying the Elite until MM addresses the fact that they have some "duds" out there. I have read reviews and seems that there is a whole series of these "bad"machines. Just my luck, I get one.

So....do I return, get my money back and buy one in a year? Or deal with having a "repaired" machine that may go out on me again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnval View Post
I am SO sorry San Jose Lady!!!
I was really hoping that I just got a dud (very common for me to pick "the ONE dud" for everything.)
I got my Elite back from MM and the report was that it was fine. They sent me the cuts they cut (remember that I sent them the wonky cut I cut originally) and the cut they cut were just as wonky as mine. They claim that those cut were perfect. I really did not know what to think.
My husband and I just kept looking at a 1in circle cut with a punch...perfect. Then we looked at the Elite cut and WOW...all we could say is WOW that MM think this is a perfect cut.
I was really hoping that mine was just a fluke...I truly am sorry that you are having a tough time with yours.
I have a sweet worker "friend" at Michaels and she said I can exchange mine. However she agreed to open the "new" one with me and together we are going to "PLAY" with both units sided by side and compare the cuts. She said that which ever unit I did not take home she would keep as a store demo.
I am so thankful that she is willing to help me. I do not have any crafting buddies and I wish I could get together with some of you sweet ladies and just "PLAY" (code for craft together)
I don't mean to be a "fuddy duddy" but I just wanted to share my honest findings. I am so happy for all of you who have managed to get a properly working Slice.
Blessings,
Valerie
Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #1011
Insane Embellisher

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems already. And, it sounds like MM is not being totally supportive with the machine. Sometimes I think they rush to get an item out, and then are frustrated when they have to deal with the backlash. Also, in this case, they had just come out with the new Pink Slice, and then here they were "improving" the machine and discounting the price....not really a way to endear your existing customers!

Hope you get your situation worked out for you. Sounds like it may take them a while to get the bugs worked out of this batch. Good luck on your decision.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #1012
Stazon Splitcoast

I found that you get wonky cuts if you hold the machine down too hard on the mat while cutting. I spent most of today teaching my sweet stamping friend how to use the original slice I gifted to her. She was on one side of the table and I was on the other with my Elite. It did not take her long at all to get the hang of it. We had so much fun. It was such a blessing to me to gift it to her. She was so stunned she cried. I also gave her 4 design cards and all the goodies. What an awesome time we had.
blessings.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:50 AM   #1013
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtchick View Post
I found that you get wonky cuts if you hold the machine down too hard on the mat while cutting. I spent most of today teaching my sweet stamping friend how to use the original slice I gifted to her. She was on one side of the table and I was on the other with my Elite. It did not take her long at all to get the hang of it. We had so much fun. It was such a blessing to me to gift it to her. She was so stunned she cried. I also gave her 4 design cards and all the goodies. What an awesome time we had.
blessings.
Lucky her, and how generous of you, Amber. She's going to have a very happy Christmas! It's wonderful to be able to share our extra stamping supplies with friends and fellow stampers, that way we know those products that have been sitting around are sure to get used and will be greatly appreciated by someone.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #1014
Compulsive Stamper

Seems like there are a lot of comments regarding the working/nonworking of the slice are there lots of happy slicers out there? How long do the blades last? Where do you find cards made with the slice? I hadn't planned on buying one but the price was just to tempting. It is the regular one.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #1015
Cardstock Collector

Thank you ladies for all your resourceful insights, especially jeffnval.

I too purchased the original Slice 2 weeks ago from Joanns from their Black Friday deal. I was debating between the original and Elite, knowing that MM is aware of the problems in the original version and hence they came out with the new version. I've watched every episode of this product on youtube and even they admit that the original version was not giving crisp and clean cuts etc. But since it was such a deal, I bought one from the store here. I tested a few cuts, some came out alright, but not to my satisfaction, the blade also kept popping out. So I went back and was lucky to exchange for another one (they still have them in stock here, so they didn't fly out the door during black friday). I tried the second one and again, it duplicated the exact same problems. Needless to say, I returned everything, even the handsfree kit I got for half price and the extra cards I got on sale (I lucked out as I was able to use coupon on top of the black friday sale, it was very hard to return them as I got such a good deal on this whole package). However, I didn't want to invest in more cards with a wishy washy functioning machine (it would've been another $100 + dollar investment),as I already have the cricut and wishblade.

I came to the conclusion that there's a reason why people either really love this machine or hate. Ones who want perfect/symmetrical shapes/cutouts (including me) will find this machine not acceptable, or ones who just don't mind the assymetry of these cutouts end up loving their machine.

I personally think it's the programming of the discs that are flawed as I get similar wonky shapes when I use my Wishblade whenever I cut a publicly shared file that's not drawn carefully with a good drawing program. As you notice that the bigger cuts look fine, but as you get down to 1" cuts, the flaw really shows up. This is just my personal thoughts.

It's too bad as I was hoping that the ELITE will be as good and comparable as a cricut but handheld. I've been waiting patiently and thanks to you ladies for sharing your experiences, it has answered my debate as to whether or not the new one is worth it.

Last edited by mango123; 12-12-2010 at 07:18 PM..
Old 12-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #1016
Inking Addict

[QUOTE=mango123;17685870]Thank you ladies for all your resourceful insights, especially jeffnval.

I came to the conclusion that there's a reason why people either really love this machine or hate. Ones who want perfect/symmetrical shapes/cutouts (including me) will find this machine not acceptable, or ones who just don't mind the assymetry of these cutouts end up loving their machine.

I'm one in the I really love my slice camp. I have the original and I don't have wonky cuts.This machine is already two years old. And, no I would not find imperfect cutouts acceptable. My only problem was before the recalibration card was issued. Since then it's been great. So I feel badly for the people who are having major issues with their Slice because mine is a joy to work with.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #1017
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyzee View Post
I'm one in the I really love my slice camp. I have the original and I don't have wonky cuts.This machine is already two years old. And, no I would not find imperfect cutouts acceptable. My only problem was before the recalibration card was issued. Since then it's been great. So I feel badly for the people who are having major issues with their Slice because mine is a joy to work with.
I feel the same way. I love mine, and want everybody else to have one they love, too!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #1018
Pearl-ExPert

MM will look at the machine (however one of their customer service reps told me to lubricate the machine by putting oil in the two small holes near the cutting blade....the problem is the new Elite does NOT have the same small holes on the bottom as the original Slice has. I would think that a service rep would know that.)

So, I have to send my machine back for repairs...sigh. I did not like that MM kept telling me that the problem was user error, ie, I didn't have the adhesive on the mat properly, the blade wasn't new, the blade wasn't adjusted properly and so on. I had to tell them that I was cutting fine with my old machine on the glass mat, and had already replaced the blade and adjusted the blade.

We shall see.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #1019
Stazon Splitcoast

OH.no...so sorry to hear of others having issues with their Slice units. I would not settle for wonky cuts. Mine cuts things out perfectly. I hope to post more pics in my gallery soon. I had so much fun cutting out a bunch of stuff on Saturday while teaching my friend to use hers.
blessings.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #1020
Compulsive Stamper

Just got my slice today, early Christmas present , sure love cutting with the little guy, beats my cricut.Michaels had them st 40% off, and Joanns is selling on the internet for 49.95. all you maybe like to have check out joanns.com.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #1021
Compulsive Stamper

Just got my slice today, early Christmas present , sure love cutting with the little guy, beats my cricut.Michaels had them st 40% off, and Joanns is selling on the internet for 49.95. all of you that maybe like to have a slice check out joanns.com.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #1022
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Just took my Slice for it's first outing. LOVE it! I was a bit worried that I would end up with a WONKY one, but right out of the box...she works like a charm. I have been making my way through this FAQ, but haven't found the answer to this question yet. What's the easiest way to get cuts off the glass mat? I took the advice of Julie HRR and bought the Krylon repositionable adhesive, but even with the little spatula from MM...it's still a bit challengin to get pieces off the glass mat?

Thanks in advance!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Old 12-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #1023
Matboard Maniac

I bought two things and I really liked both...
First was a bought an xacto knife that is much wider than the traditional one it has a blade that is straight across...like a perfect rectangle. It works like a spatula to scrape off not only the image but the paper "crumbs" as well. I hope this makes sense. but a regular "pointy" xacto knife will work as well.
Secondly, I picked up a $1 plastic 4in. putty knife at lowes. It scraps off all the paper "crumbs" in one sweep. I really did not think that this plastic cheep tool would work well but it is great.
Hope this is helpful.
Valerie
Old 12-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #1024
Hardware Hotshot

It looks like Office Depot bought the rights to my favorite tool.
Lil' Chizzler. here:
Lil Chizler by Office Depot
if you google it, there's a small picture. I have other scrapers, but this is the best. And it works perfectly for getting stuff off of the Slice mat.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:20 AM   #1025
Die Cut Diva

I have both the Slice and new Slice Elitewhich I was hoping would solve the problems of tearing the paper and wonky cuts, so far I don't see much change). Anyway, I've perused this thread and done a search here, but don't see a direct answer to the saving-paper question.

On my machine, it tells me where, on the image, it's going to start cutting. But without knowing where, on the paper, it's going to start cutting, I can't predict where it will cut. Am I making sense? In other words, in order to coordinate cuts and location on the paper, you need a minimum of two points, not one.

My goal is to not waste any more paper than I have to. But, even for starters, I can never predict where the machine will cut the image out of the paper. If I put the machine squarely on the hands-free mat in the corner, sometimes it starts 1 1/2" in from the corner, sometimes 1" in, and sometimes, well, it's hard to tell; it varies by image. But in the meantime, I've wasted all the paper nearer to the edge and between cuts.

Also, when you say to turn the blade to cut thicker paper, I'm assuming you mean a counter-clockwise turn?

Any help in fine-tuning get the most out of my machine (and paper) would be appeciated.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #1026
Hardware Hotshot

I'd like to know, too, Binx!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #1027
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I guess I got one of the 'wonky' ones way back when they first came out, lol! I used the little card they sent out too that was suppose to straighten the cuts up, but still sometimes it will cut wonky, not all the time, and less often than it did, but still does! It just gathers dust....I should sell it ...i had to have all the tools too and got about 3 cards...hmmmm....

Senior Design Team member for Gina K Designs
Behind the Scenes Crew at StampTV.com
Old 12-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #1028
Stazon Splitcoast

I had my friend over a week ago to teach her to use the original Slice I gave her for Christmas (it was my gently used unit) while I used the new Elite I got for myself. She was getting wonky cuts and I knew it was fine for me...come to find out she was holding it down too tightly on her mat so it could not lift cleanly and make the correct cuts. As soon as she started to hold it in place more lightly she started to get PERFECT cuts every time. I was using the hands free mat with the new slice Elite and got perfect cuts every time. So those of you who are getting wonky cuts....could you be holding it down too tightly to the mat? blessings.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #1029
Hardware Hotshot

When are they coming out with a new batch of design cards? Isn't it January or February? I'm eager, because I have most of the ones I want from what they have now.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #1030
Stazon Splitcoast

I think there might be a couple more I want from the most recent release...dont they normally release new stuff at summer/winter CHA? I guess that would be January already..YIKES! Oh well...I dont have to wonder what to do with my money do I?
blessings.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #1031
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok..I see that Joanns has the Slice at a great price and I'm considering it...I have a lot of Nesties that I use in my Cuttlebug..I'm not a scrapbooker, only make cards..why would I want a Slice?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #1032
Glitter Queen

Default Slice Elite

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know when the Slice Elite will be available in Australia? or if it's already available here?

Hope everyone is having fun with their Slice
Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #1033
Rubber Obsessor

I have the pink Slice, am not a Scrapbooker and only make cards. You NEED the Slice because it's the perfect size for cutting images for cardmaking. I use it all of the time for alphabets (one comes in each cartridge) ~ I like to put someone's name on the front of a card ~ unless it's something line Samantha ~ shorter names like my brother, Dan. The shadow possibility is great, too, even with the names. I love the magnetic mat and have both sizes. Now I have to learn how to use my embossing kit. Always something new but the Slice is so portable and cuts almost anything you could want from 1" to 4". I only have that and my Big Shot and use both a LOT!

Bug
Old 12-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #1034
Hardware Hotshot

Yay Bug! I love my Slice, too.

So, who else got Slice stuff for Christmas?? I got FOUR new design cards, counting the new one that came with my Elite. No time to play today. I'm just taking a break while the dishwasher runs. I couldn't hand wash the measuring cups AGAIN, so I threw them into the dishwasher and sat down for a short break. It's really time to start the pumpkin pies I never got to yesterday!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #1035
Compulsive Stamper

I got 4 new cards, embossing tools, hands free 12 x 12 and an iPad. I must have been a very good girl.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #1036
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx View Post
On my machine, it tells me where, on the image, it's going to start cutting. But without knowing where, on the paper, it's going to start cutting, I can't predict where it will cut. Am I making sense? In other words, in order to coordinate cuts and location on the paper, you need a minimum of two points, not one.

My goal is to not waste any more paper than I have to. But, even for starters, I can never predict where the machine will cut the image out of the paper. If I put the machine squarely on the hands-free mat in the corner, sometimes it starts 1 1/2" in from the corner, sometimes 1" in, and sometimes, well, it's hard to tell; it varies by image. But in the meantime, I've wasted all the paper nearer to the edge and between cuts.
When you 'select' your image and size to cut, the blade moves into place and that's when you'll see the little 'x' on your screen showing where the cut starts. Use the position of where the blade moved to as your guide to where you should place your paper in relation to the machine. Does that makes sense? It will take a little practice to be able to gauge how close to the edge of the paper or edge of the last cut in your paper to really line things up closely.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #1037
Stazon Splitcoast

I didnt get any new Slice stuff or any craft stuff but that is okay because I received a lot of nice gifts. I have so many Slice cards still to use so it is okay that I didnt get any...blesssings and Merry CHRISTmas to all.
hugs.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #1038
Hardware Hotshot

Merry Christmas Amber!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #1039
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckMagic View Post
Just got my slice today, early Christmas present , sure love cutting with the little guy, beats my cricut.Michaels had them st 40% off, and Joanns is selling on the internet for 49.95. all of you that maybe like to have a slice check out joanns.com.
How are you loving your new toy? I love to see others loving their Slice as much as I love mine!
I had to play with mine a bit tonight, and cut out a bunch of santa buckles for the Christmas cards I never finished. My adventure is on the general stamping page, where I'm asking how to emboss a die cut! At least I had fun cutting them out!
Now I'm just waiting for Making Memories to release their next batch of new design cards later this month!! I can't wait to see what they are!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #1040
Stazon Splitcoast

Shortly before Xmas I got the hands free mat...WOWIE!!! I just love that thing. No more cuts that are off due to holding the little unit down too tightly....Erin..let me know when you see the new design cards...I wanna look too...! Like I need more...lol. My friend I gifted the Slice too is just joyous about it...loving the little Elite too.
blessings.