Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #961
Glitter Guru

I, too, am glad that you're happy with you new Elite. Mine just arrived today, and I went to the slice · the handheld cordless digital design cutter by making memories site to register mine online, and the form indicates that the serial number is "not valid." Have any of you tried to register your new Elites online yet? I took the number directly off the machine, and tried to do it several times.

Would really appreciate any help that any of you might have! Thanks!

Karolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnval View Post
Ok...I played a little tonight...I (unfortunately) was working on extremely thin paper. Some cheap paper pack form Paper Wishes when I firs got started. I was so used to my Slice ruining my paper I wanted to start with my el-cheapo first. First I got my original one out and make some cuts (awful) It has been sitting plugged in for several months and after two cuts it was blinking and saying battery low and my cuts were mangled.
I got my new Elite out and make the same cuts and they were perfect. I have not calibrated it or messed with the blade tension yet. Because I was working on such thin paper I made several cuts of the exact image so I can adhere them together to make it thicker and they were exact matches to each other. They perfectly lined up. I was working with the new Noel Layers Cart. and only had some minor problems with the paper lifting and tearing during a cut with the scrap was smaller than the square base so there was no magnetic pressure holding it down. My adhesive is probably needing to be replaced. Remember it has been sitting for several months with wax paper on it.
Even my 8 yr old daughter walked by and said that "It's Working Mama!!!"

So far I am pleased. I wish that the original one was at this caliber since the "Get Go" So much frustration for me with my machine. I really wanted to believe in it and I have so much money invested in it already.

Because I have to work on my dining table I had to put it up for dinner. (I HATE that...all of you ladies who have your own work space...please, please, please be thankful...I have to take it out, and put it away, take it out, put it away...you get the idea)

I am looking forward to playing some more with some thicker papers like DCWV glitter. and Papertrey Ink. I will let you guys know.

Valerie

P.S. I would like to know more about the "Vellum Spray" you mentioned.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #962
Hardware Hotshot

My only suggestion would be to e-mail them and let them know. Or call them and find out.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #963
Matboard Maniac

Ok...I just got an email from Michaels about their Cyber Monday In Store special. Slice Elite on sale for 99.00 Carts are buy 1 get 1 free plus 15% off entire purchase including sale items!!! Sounds like a great deal!!! If you are on the fence maybe this will sway you. Hope this helps.
Valerie
Old 11-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #964
Cardstock Collector

I got the Mike's email too but are you sure it is the Elite that is on sale? Also, it says that Slice products are excluded from the extra 15%. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #965
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to Seggie

What is your favorite cartridge. I've thought about ordering it but shipping to London is spendy. Pray for me, I am stuck here another few years as I was supposed to be back in the states and my job is keeping me here. bummer.

seggie
Old 11-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #966
Matboard Maniac

Karolyn!!!

I noticed that there is a screen in the "Setting Mode" when you are adjusting your settings that digitally displays the Serial number. See is you numbers match up...

also I was up to 4 am playing with the original and the Elite side by side....
And...

1. I do not notice any noticeable in speed between the two machines...Even in the Elite when I switch between slow and fast not big difference.

2. the Basic Design Card that comes with the Elite is DIFFERENT than the Original...DO NOT Calibrate your Elite with the original replacement card that they sent you for the original. I made that mistake and THEN realized that the card that come with the Elite is different and designed to calibrate the ELITE.

3. Take Note what the Original Calibration setting are on your machine...Because if you start messing around with different settings (like I did) you might want to restore the factory set calibration settings and "start over"

4. There is an additional setting on the Elite so you now have 4 main settings which are...
Radial Backlash Compensation (factory set on mine @ 2)
Rotational Backlash Compensation (factory set on mine @ B) which is diff than original.
Radial Home Offset (should always be set at 0)
Rotational Home Offset (factory set on mine @2)
and you also can set the TIP HEIGHT (This is probably what will allow thicker materials to be cut.

5. I just got off the phone (ironically with a "Valerie") and she is making me a ticket to send it in!!! BECAUSE...All the basic images like circle, square, star, heart are all wonky!!! Even after first calibrating it with the original calibration and then with the new card it came with. Of course I got different setting...but the cuts were still wonky. I could not believe it...I thought they had fixed this problem. I really had high hopes that the Elite had all the bugs worked out.

Hope this help some of you out there and I would love to hear what your experiences are as well.

Valerie
Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #967
Die Cut Diva

Default Slice

OMG I'm so excited. I just purchased the Slice Elite. Was curious which design carts you would suggest purchasing? I'm going to use it for card making and craft projects. Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #968
Glitter Guru

Deb!

So excited to see that you've come over to the "dark side." LOL You're going to love your new Slice!! I haven't bought a design card that I didn't love, all for different reasons. I most recently purchased the Noel card, which allows you to layer more. But really, any of the cards are super fun to work with, so I'd go with what images speak to you! LOL

Hope you enjoy it!

Hugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels View Post
OMG I'm so excited. I just purchased the Slice Elite. Was curious which design carts you would suggest purchasing? I'm going to use it for card making and craft projects. Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #969
Stazon Splitcoast

I just went to scrap-mart.com and ordered the pink Elite...I will pass the original slice on to my friend who does not have an electronic die cut machine.
blessings.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #970
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Val! I just looked like you suggested and saw that the number was completely different than the one on the machine and the box. BUT it wasn't the correct number, either. So I called Making Memories. The gal that I spoke with indicated that there was a batch of machines that didn't get the numbers entered into their system. So if you have one and the serial number doesn't register, just call Making Memories Customer Service (801-294-0430) and they'll enter the number into their system and will register your machine for you while you're on the phone with them.

Now I'm just hoping that I don't have the same problems with mine that you've had with yours. I, too, have the regular and Elite and plan to do a side by side comparison of speed, etc. Will let you know how that all comes out. By the way, I bought mine at ABC Toys & Crafts and they have a Cyber Monday sale going on right now - 25% off if you use discount code BFCM2010. I think the sale ends today, so if you're interested, you should jump on it NOW!

Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it and am so grateful for everyone sharing their experiences here.

Hugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnval View Post
Karolyn!!!

I noticed that there is a screen in the "Setting Mode" when you are adjusting your settings that digitally displays the Serial number. See is you numbers match up...

also I was up to 4 am playing with the original and the Elite side by side....
And...

1. I do not notice any noticeable in speed between the two machines...Even in the Elite when I switch between slow and fast not big difference.

2. the Basic Design Card that comes with the Elite is DIFFERENT than the Original...DO NOT Calibrate your Elite with the original replacement card that they sent you for the original. I made that mistake and THEN realized that the card that come with the Elite is different and designed to calibrate the ELITE.

3. Take Note what the Original Calibration setting are on your machine...Because if you start messing around with different settings (like I did) you might want to restore the factory set calibration settings and "start over"

4. There is an additional setting on the Elite so you now have 4 main settings which are...
Radial Backlash Compensation (factory set on mine @ 2)
Rotational Backlash Compensation (factory set on mine @ B) which is diff than original.
Radial Home Offset (should always be set at 0)
Rotational Home Offset (factory set on mine @2)
and you also can set the TIP HEIGHT (This is probably what will allow thicker materials to be cut.

5. I just got off the phone (ironically with a "Valerie") and she is making me a ticket to send it in!!! BECAUSE...All the basic images like circle, square, star, heart are all wonky!!! Even after first calibrating it with the original calibration and then with the new card it came with. Of course I got different setting...but the cuts were still wonky. I could not believe it...I thought they had fixed this problem. I really had high hopes that the Elite had all the bugs worked out.

Hope this help some of you out there and I would love to hear what your experiences are as well.

Valerie
Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #971
Stazon Splitcoast

I upgraded to the Elite myself when Mike's had all Slice 40% off, a week before Thanksgiving, i think. All I've cut so far is a circle but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!! The circle is smooth and clean. Machine is less grindy sounding and sounds more electronic than the original, if that makes any sense. I also think it's a little quieter, probably because it doesn't make the grinding noise as badly. I haven't changed any of the settings on my Elite, by the way. Worked just fine out of the box after first charging it overnight.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #972
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novell View Post
I upgraded to the Elite myself when Mike's had all Slice 40% off, a week before Thanksgiving, i think. All I've cut so far is a circle but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!! The circle is smooth and clean. Machine is less grindy sounding and sounds more electronic than the original, if that makes any sense. I also think it's a little quieter, probably because it doesn't make the grinding noise as badly. I haven't changed any of the settings on my Elite, by the way. Worked just fine out of the box after first charging it overnight.
I am not upgrading for a while (I'd say "never", but we all know how you should never say that, LOL!); I got the PINK one *just* this last summer!!!

And, a new Silhouette SD a couple weeks ago, which hasn't yet sailed on its maiden voyage . . .
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #973
Matboard Maniac

Hi Novell!!!
I am so glad you your is working great...Do you mind if I ask if your tried your cuts at 1 and 1.5in? I was just curious. My small cuts were all wonky but got better the bigger it got. Please let me know.
Also...can you please tell me what your factory setting were set at for all 4 setting. I would love to give it a try on what yours is set at. I have not wrapped mine up yet b/c I am going to send in some of my cuts that are all wonky so they can see for themselves. I am really hoping that it is just user error and not a defect.

Thanks so much,
Valerie
Old 11-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #974
Stazon Splitcoast

Mine should be here tomorrow right?? I ordered it from Scrap-mart today...lol. I know it will be here pretty quick because my orders from there always are....blessings.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #975
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMeg View Post
Amber, we should get our Elites around the same time. I received my shipping notice yesterday. I'm going to try some SU paper first thing. That will be the litmus test for me. Love SU paper, but it requires more pressure than most other brands.

If I get wonky shapes, I'll need a drink. I returned my first Slice right after buying it because it cut wonky, and it took a couple months for Erin to convince me to give the system another try. The calibration card had come out by then and it corrected the problem enough that I jumped in again. (The symmetrical geometric shapes are often imperfect, but I have Nesties and punches for those shapes.)

I now have quite an investment in design cards and a second machine (the Elite). I really don't want to go back to wonky shapes. Fingers crossed that I have Novell's good luck!
I'm crossing my fingers with you! I already promised my original Slice to my friend, so if I get wonky cuts I WILL cry!! But I'm confident. It will be fine. I'll plug it in overnight, calibrate it, and it will be FINE!! Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #976
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Erin...you lucky dog...I was hoping mine would arrive this week before hubby is home from his travels til the first of the year...oh well...I turned around and ordered a new design card and hands free system today from scrap-mart. I really really need to quit shopping...lol
blessings.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #977
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtchick View Post
Oh Erin...you lucky dog...I was hoping mine would arrive this week before hubby is home from his travels til the first of the year...oh well...I turned around and ordered a new design card and hands free system today from scrap-mart. I really really need to quit shopping...lol
blessings.
OH, you'll love your handsfree! That's how I've been cutting my SU cardstock up until now. I use the handfree, and after it's finished cutting, I just press cut again, and the handsfree keeps it in the same spot for the 2nd cut.

I did it backwards. I bought two new design cards, then after some thinking, I went back and ordered the Elite.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #978
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin in Okc View Post
I'm crossing my fingers with you! I already promised my original Slice to my friend, so if I get wonky cuts I WILL cry!! But I'm confident. It will be fine. I'll plug it in overnight, calibrate it, and it will be FINE!! Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow.
darn...I got the dates wrong. It doesn't come until Thursday.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #979
Hardware Hotshot

Do you still use the 6 X 6 mat that came with it?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #980
Stazon Splitcoast

I hear you on the third case for the design cards...I too will need another one soon. They have such a great variety to choose from and I am getting some smoking deals on Ebay for new cards right now.
blessings.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #981
Hardware Hotshot

OH my gosh, you guys are so lucky to have so many cards! I have one case, and it might be half full.
My two new cards came today, though!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #982
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMeg View Post
Most of the time. I have a 12x12, but I don't take it to school when I let the kids cut things for crafts or decorating the class. The small mat is easier to pack and it also keeps the kids from wasting too much paper.

I would probably use the HF at home if I had it, I just haven't gotten to the "gotta have it!" point yet.
OMG, have you tried it yet? It is AWESOME!!! I can't imagine NOT using it now!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #983
Matboard Maniac

My Joanns and Michaels and Hobby Lobby all carry the Slice products including the Hands Free.

I wanted to share an AHH HAA moment for me.
I ALWAYS HATE taking the innies off my mat. I call them "Paper Crumbs." It has always been a booger to work at these. I bought an .88 cents plastic Putty scrapper. It is 4 inches and in just three swipes across the glass my paper crumbs are all scrapped off. I am loving it. Hope this helps.

Valerie

P.S. I sent my Elite in yesterday morning it cost me almost $20 to priority mail in a priority box, insure it, and delivery confirmation!!! WOW, but I know if I did not I would be told they never got it or it got damaged in shipment or something.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #984
Stazon Splitcoast

Yikes Valarie...sorry you are having troubles with the Elite...I hope it was just a fluke and the others coming to the rest of us work right out of the box...I just cant wait to get mine and play around with it...are there many differences in the menu and look of the unit from the original Slice?
blessings.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #985
Matboard Maniac

Oh Amber...I hope you guys don't have problems with ya'lls (Sorry I'm from Texas) either!!!

There is no difference at all. It is exactly the same size and shape and general feel of it. The magnetic collar for the HF system still fits. It uses the same blades. Just remember that the Basic Shapes card that the Elite comes with is different than the original and if you have to calibrate it...USE the NEW one not the old one.

The only difference that I noticed with the menu is that in the Setting mode... You have a few other option choices...Just take note and keep somewhere you can refer back to...what the original settings are. Making Memories C/S was not able to reach the Tech. depart. but was pretty sure at the factory set settings might vary from machine to machine. So if you start messing with setting and can't get it right (like I did) You will know what it was originally set at and you can start back again.

Hope that helps,
Valerie
Old 12-02-2010, 05:09 AM   #986
Rubber Obsessor

Did you know that there's a 6 x 6 magnetic mat? If I have one thing to cut out or if I'm taking my Slice somewhere, I always use that small one. It's handy to leave on my desk. I use the big mat when I have lots to cut out but I LOVE my small mat.

Bug
Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #987
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow...thanks for all the info ladies....I am excited to get my new toy....
blessings.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #988
Hardware Hotshot

Got my Elite!! I only had a few minutes to play with it, because I have to pick up my daughter from school in a bit, and I had to hide it away since it is my Christmas present. BUT, I don't even need to calibrate it. You heard me! I cut out circles, stars, hearts and squares, all 1", and they were perfect. It was also super fast. AND, I was sure to use my super thick SU cardstock, and it cut right through it!! I should have used black, but I used an old Teal, which is also thick. No problem at all! I'm so excited!! I'm going to get it out and play more tomorrow morning, but there's my 'early bird' report!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #989
Matboard Maniac

OOOOHHHH so Glad for you...I am really hoping my problems are a fluke and easily fixable. I did get an email today saying that they received my unit and will need 2-3 day to test it. I can't wait!!!
Valerie
Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #990
Hardware Hotshot

I hope so too, Valerie. I remember how frustrated I was when I had troubles with my first Slice. I'm so glad I hung in there. I've gotten a lot of use out of it. I'm going to get even more use out of this one, because I am going to LOVE the new and improved version, and all of my new design cards I'm getting for Christmas!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #991
Stazon Splitcoast

Erin...that is such good news...I cant wait to play with mine...and I got the hands free kit so that will be nice too. I am equally excited about gifting the original slice which I have not used nearly as much as I should have to my sweet friend who does not have and cannot afford a die cut machine.
blessings.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #992
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtchick View Post
Erin...that is such good news...I cant wait to play with mine...and I got the hands free kit so that will be nice too. I am equally excited about gifting the original slice which I have not used nearly as much as I should have to my sweet friend who does not have and cannot afford a die cut machine.
blessings.
Can I say how sweet that is of you if I did the same thing? But it is sweet. My 'gifting' was a part of my rationalization to get me the new machine, so I'm not sure I can call my gesture sweet. And my friend could probably afford it, but she's not as 'spendy' as I am.
I'm going to hurry and play with it a little more before I have to pick my daughter up from school. One last time before Christmas, that's it, I promise!!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #993
Stazon Splitcoast

um...maybe you could just wrap the empty box and put it under the tree? Just a thought so you can keep on playing....
blessings.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #994
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, that wouldn't work. My daughter feels like she should play the guessing game with EVERYBODY'S presents! I missed my opportunity today, anyway. I cleaned house and did laundry instead. I couldn't have my son, who is home sick, thinking I just play all day!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:27 AM   #995
Pearl-ExPert

Default I gave in

and bought a new Elite on Ebay for 101.99, no tax, no shipping.....it was hard to resist as I have had a love/hate relationship with my Slice, love the concept, hate the problems I have had.

Anyhow....I should have it in my hot hands by next week, am looking forward to seeing if it really is better then the original machine : )
Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #996
Hardware Hotshot

Congrats SanJose! I hope you love it, and that it works good for you!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #997
Stazon Splitcoast

My new Elite should be waiting when I get home from work...I have other goodies too. I am not sure I will be able to play this evening..but one thing is for sure...I WANT to..lol
blessings.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #998
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Hi. Before I take the plunge, could some of you lucky Elite owners share what thick materials you are successfully cutting BESIDES cardstock? I'm interested in metal, chipboard, and materials along those lines....thanks SO much for any feedback
Old 12-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #999
Stazon Splitcoast

I am not sure I will ever cut anything ever than cardstock. I only use mine for cardstock. maybe someday will try cardboard but it is not a priority for me.
blessings.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #1000
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok..new Slice Elite plugged in last night ready to use this evening with the new Hands Free Pink set...cant wait to play!
blessings