Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #841
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the tip Novell, I think the time it reacted the worst I didnt have a full sheet of card covering the mat.. this hasnt been an issue with the other 2 machines though, and you would think in a new machine the sensor would be working ok??

I told the shop I bought it from I would continue to work with it over the weekend, hopfully it will resolve itself then. I'm worried the shop is getting sick of me, but I cant help it if MM keep sending out faulty machines!

Please if anyone else has any tips or advice, let me know i'm so worried about this now, i think I wasted my money!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #842
Glitter Queen

I contacted MM about this. They told me to oil it and to remove the blade housing and replace it MM said this should cure the prob... it didnt thought, so I told them. The lady asked for verious number which show in the setting screen I gave her those and she said oh its up to date.

So her only recommendation was to oil it again, I had done so basically they have said Oh dunno then never heard of this before! Thanks that helps me loads 8.(

I wish I got a Cricut now I was warned about the slice tho so serve me right dont it! I'm so fed up and frustrated by this!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #843
Glitter Queen

Wow I can't believe I didn't find this board before but I'm so happy I did!!!

I have the pink slice (not elite version), I've had it for quite a while but 19 months ago I had a beautiful baby girl so I haven't really had the chance to do much scrapping .... or anything! I was seriously considering selling it a couple of days ago but pulled it out when I found this board, was just the inspiration I needed, I have already started making 2 father's day cards, I checked out the new cards coming out, love the layers!!!! I may now consider selling my CricutE because of these new cards (can only really afford one addiction!)

Thanks
PK
Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #844
Glitter Queen

I sent my slice back to the shop, I had 3, all of which were faulty! I have given up with Slice machines now. I paid the extra and got a Cricut Expression and its fabulous! Yes it takes up space I dont have but when you need it its there and it works! and it does so much more than the slice.

Maybe eventually MM sort out these slice machines & they work properly Its a good concept and would be a fantastic machine if it worked, I had nothing but problems even MM said they were 'defective' so it wasnt me.

I am so happy the shop I got it from let me exchange it for this fab Cricut!

I wish you all luck with your Slice machines i'm glad you have good ones that work, and you enjoy using them.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #845
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafting mad View Post
I sent my slice back to the shop, I had 3, all of which were faulty! I have given up with Slice machines now. I paid the extra and got a Cricut Expression and its fabulous! Yes it takes up space I dont have but when you need it its there and it works! and it does so much more than the slice.

Maybe eventually MM sort out these slice machines & they work properly Its a good concept and would be a fantastic machine if it worked, I had nothing but problems even MM said they were 'defective' so it wasnt me.

I am so happy the shop I got it from let me exchange it for this fab Cricut!

I wish you all luck with your Slice machines i'm glad you have good ones that work, and you enjoy using them.
I'm sorry to hear about your horrible luck with your machines! I have one of the originals, and the bugs are worked out, and I enjoy it. I hope you enjoy your Cricut just as much. Good luck to you!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #846
Glitter Queen

Thank you
Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #847
Matboard Maniac

Default Slicing Fabric

I made my grand-daughter a log cabin quilt and AFTER I was completely finished I read how traditionally they made the center squares red to represent the heart (or hearth) of the home. Her squares are blue.

One day out shopping for the batting I was telling my son about this tradition and how from now on I will be making all my quilts with the red center squares. He promptly suggested I replaced her blue squares with red ones. I tried to tell him I couldn't, it was all finished. After much discussion I told him I will try and put red hearts on all the center squares.

I have always wanted to try this, but haven't yet so here was my chance. I had some fusible webbing that has the paper back and ironed that onto red fabric. I place the paper side down against the adhesive glass and cut my first heart.

When it was done, I lift up the Slice and was so upset. The blade must not have dropped down at all, as there was nothing there. I did see a so very very faint spot where it looked like the blade might have tried. I pulled up the fabric off the glass and was shocked!

There was a perfectly cut heart left on the glass. It cut so smoothly, not a pull or tear, it wasn't visible until after I lifted the excess fabric off.

This was awesome and I can see so much more uses now. And my grand-daughter now has 15 little hearts (one in each square) of her quilt.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #848
Pearl-ExPert

I guess inquiring minds want to know. I have been wondering when the Elite is going to be released?

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #849
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Default Pardon, if this has been asked before . . .

On the hands-free glass mat . . .

If you spray it with repositional adhesive, what do you do when you need to re-apply the spray? Scrape off all the old remaining adhesive? Wash it off? Because of the foam on the opposite side, I'm not sure about attempting to wash it . . . and you could be there forever trying to scrape every last bit of it off . . .

I'm annoyed with myself--I took a class over the weekend, and didn't think at the time to ask the individual from Making Memories that was teaching the class about this . . .
Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #850
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieHRR View Post

If you spray it with repositional adhesive, what do you do when you need to re-apply the spray? Scrape off all the old remaining adhesive? Wash it off? Because of the foam on the opposite side, I'm not sure about attempting to wash it . . . and you could be there forever trying to scrape every last bit of it off . . .

I'm annoyed with myself--I took a class over the weekend, and didn't think at the time to ask the individual from Making Memories that was teaching the class about this . . .
During a make n take at CHA last year, they told me they use baby wipes. HTH!
Wish RAK Mentor
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #851
Glitter Guru

Does anyone know if there are any Slice challenge blogs out there? I love my Slice and feel like I'd use it more if I had regular challenges to inspire new ideas.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #852
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiesmom View Post
During a make n take at CHA last year, they told me they use baby wipes. HTH!
Oh, wow! That's it?! Well, easy enough then!

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #853
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Oh, wow! That's it?! Well, easy enough then!

Thanks!
That's what they said. I haven't tried it yet though. I've only used my Slice once since I got the spray adhesive and just put it in a ziploc.

What kind of class did you attend? Was it projects/cards?
Wish RAK Mentor
Old 09-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #854
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I was worried about this same thing when I got mine, but it's not a big deal. I just wet a paper towel and scrub it good. usually when it dries, it's sticky is renewed and I don't even need more adhesive! gotta love that!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #855
Stazon Splitcoast

oh...love the tips here...blessings.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #856
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by garkarlon View Post
Does anyone know if there are any Slice challenge blogs out there? I love my Slice and feel like I'd use it more if I had regular challenges to inspire new ideas.

The Yahoo Group "A Slice of Creativity" has a monthly swap and challenges.
Joy
Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #857
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyZed View Post
The Yahoo Group "A Slice of Creativity" has a monthly swap and challenges.
Joy
Thank you, Joy! I'll definitely check that out!!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #858
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's what they said. I haven't tried it yet though. I've only used my Slice once since I got the spray adhesive and just put it in a ziploc.

What kind of class did you attend? Was it projects/cards?
One was a gate-fold album, and the other was cards. It was fun and I learned some neat Slice techniques that went beyond the basics!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #859
Stazon Splitcoast

does anyone know where to find the best deal on one....michaels won't let you use a coupon...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #860
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
One was a gate-fold album, and the other was cards. It was fun and I learned some neat Slice techniques that went beyond the basics!
Thanks Julie. Hopefully there will be a Slice class in my area someday.
Wish RAK Mentor
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #861
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks Julie. Hopefully there will be a Slice class in my area someday.
You might try emailing them and inquiring if any stores will be having them in your area?

The gal that MM sent to the store in our area to teach actually lives in San Diego! Her husband came and helped, too--I was surprised (delightfully so) at how much he knew about the machine, and all the projects, too! He was a great helper not only to his wife, but to everybody around the room, too! Totally cute couple!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #862
Glitter Queen

Are there any other Aussie's on here?

I have been madly searching the web trying to find where I can buy Slice cards, etc. I really wish we had access to some of the big US stores! I did contact MM a while back asking about local retailers and they pointed me to a website that has a huge list but there was only a couple that sold anything remotely Slice related, it's very frustrating, I love my Slice but it's such a hassle finding accessories.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #863
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
You might try emailing them and inquiring if any stores will be having them in your area?

The gal that MM sent to the store in our area to teach actually lives in San Diego! Her husband came and helped, too--I was surprised (delightfully so) at how much he knew about the machine, and all the projects, too! He was a great helper not only to his wife, but to everybody around the room, too! Totally cute couple!
Oooh, I'm not too far from San Diego. I wonder if she teaches near me or I could go to San Diego too. I'll contact MM. I have two gift certificates for Dick Blick so I could pick up some Copics too. How cute about the husband. DH knows about stamping, but probably not enough to help in a class. lol
Wish RAK Mentor
Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #864
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskitty View Post
Are there any other Aussie's on here?

I have been madly searching the web trying to find where I can buy Slice cards, etc. I really wish we had access to some of the big US stores! I did contact MM a while back asking about local retailers and they pointed me to a website that has a huge list but there was only a couple that sold anything remotely Slice related, it's very frustrating, I love my Slice but it's such a hassle finding accessories.
Whereabouts in Oz are you? Scrapbook City in Brisbane has slice items and you can purchase on-line but you will find that new releases take a while to hit our shores and the cost of the cards are not pretty - around the $60AUD.
I have bought from scrap-mart.com in the States. They sometimes have a two for one deal, have a monthly discount voucher and if items are in stock are prompt at getting them sent out. From memory I think I had my parcel in less than 10 days. They are also obliging about how they package items so as to reduce the cost of postage. There are also a couple of other places I have looked at. PM me if you want to.
Joy
Qld
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #865
Stazon Splitcoast

I purchase most of my cards on Ebay...the deals are fabulous....
blessings.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #866
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKArkansas View Post
does anyone know where to find the best deal on one....michaels won't let you use a coupon...
I got the flyer for Michael's and starting this Saturday, September 18 to Friday, September 24...Slice products are 40 % off!!!

I can't wait to pick up the hands-free magnetic mat thingy!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #867
Rubber Obsessor

I LOVE my Slice....I even got to guest design for Making Memories specifically using my Slice. It's the Aug. 25th posting.

You can cut Shrinky Dink material and that is featured in my post at MM.

I use mine all the time! I am excited for the new cards also!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #868
Glitter Queen

Default New to the forum

HI! I just got my Slice in August and I'm already in love. My BFF has had a Cricut for years and I have kidded her incessantly about her obsession with it. Now I know what it's like ...

I used it for scrapbooking a few weeks ago. Then about two weeks ago, I tried my hand at card-making. Last week, I made some Halloween tags. (Cards and tags are on my blog.) I am love, love LOVING it.

I have become obsessed with getting new design cards. I've made some good deals, getting a couple for as few as $9.99! About two weeks ago, I got the design card case at Michaels for $14.99. Otherwise, I've gotten everything online except the Slice itself. (at Tuesday Morning's)

eBay has become my new best friends for design cards, tho Amazon and even Overstock have some good deals. You just have to be willing to look all over and to keep looking OFTEN. (I've noticed that if I wait a few days, Overstock will drop the price by a buck or two on cards I've recently viewed.)

I FINALLY got some Christmas ones. Just today I got both Mistletoe and Noel on eBay (bringing me to about 14 cards total). Can't wait to get them. Then I will probably have to stop for a while though there are several others I'd like to have. I'm considering all this bargain-snagging my Christmas present to me.

http://thisdmnhouse.blogspot.com
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #869
Insane Embellisher

Welcome to being a Slice user!!!! I got mine at CHA in January and love it too!! My only other machine is a Cuttlebug, so not as much of an overall toy expert as a lot of other ladies on this thread, but I'm sold on it....love what it does and it's so portable.
And, like you, I scouted out where I could get the best deals on cards, so I'm loaded with those too, I've already filled my first case! Yikes..... I can hardly wait to start my Christmas cards when my stuff comes!
Have fun with yours, the ladies on this thread have some great pointers. You'll get lots of good ideas.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #870
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetostamp3 View Post
the ladies on this thread have some great pointers. You'll get lots of good ideas.
Thanks. You are SO right! I've been reading through the thread and already have learned a few things. Knowledge is power ... and resulting in some really cute stuff.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #871
Glitter Queen

Sad day today...

... I have been in contact with MM and they have confirmed I have a defective machine and that it will need to be returned

I am having Slice withdrawals already! and to top it off it's my birthday today and I can't use it!!!

But MM's customer service has been excellent, very helpful. I just hope the place I bought it from is just as helpful!.

PK
Old 09-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #872
Glitter Queen

I have just sent my Slice back, fingers crossed I will get my new one before next weekend!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #873
Glitter Queen

Good luck to you! Hopefully, it will run better than ever when you get it back.

I SO hate to hear about troubles with these machines. I love mine so much and have now invested a good deal in design cards so would hate to think it would just stop working.

And, I just did something totally crazy this week. Went out on a limb and bought a lot of design cards on eBay. (successful bidder in final seconds) I have some of the ones already so I'll be selling those. But there are three or four others that I really wanted so hopefully, I'll come close to breaking even on my investment.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #874
Glitter Guru

Hi All! I just saw on the Scrap Mart blog that Making Memories has now discovered that there are issues with the newly released design cards (September release) and the Slice. Does anyone know what those issues are? The message said that MM is now delaying the new releases. I JUST today ordered the new Noel design card because I so want to see what the layering cards are like. But now I'm worried that it won't work on my machine - I have the Pink Slice (not the Elite). Any information you all might have is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #875
Rubber Obsessor

If you have it and it doesn't work MM will take care of it......you just need to call the customer service number. It says there is a software compatibility issue....so I would think it is in the "card" not the machines.

I had my Basics 1 card just quit working...I contacted MM and they sent me a new one and it works fine.

Don't worry too much, either way, you will be taken care of..you may just have to wait to play with the card. BUT if you do get it, I would try it and just see if it works.....
Old 09-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #876
Stazon Splitcoast

I took a class at Impress from the Making Memories folks and the Noel cartridge worked just fine for all of us. There were 2 classes and I know probably 40 people in each class. We each had our own Slice machine and cartridge to use. I would guess the Noel cartridge is not included in this issue.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #877
Glitter Queen

Well that's a relief! I literally just got Noel TODAY. (It came in the mail after I bought it last week on Ebay.)

I haven't tried to play with it yet though as I'm knee-deep in making Halloween cards. I will have to make sure that it works though as I plan to start on Christmas pretty soon.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #878
Cardstock Collector

Hi all
Not sure if this is the right place for my request for help - let me know if not lol

I just got my first MS+ card today - the lovely Vintage one and I'm dying to play with it BUT it gave me an error when it was updating and I can't get the card to work at all. My old ones work fine, it's just the new MS+ that doesn't work.

Any ideas?

I tried submitting a ticket on the website but it says I haven't registered, even tho I know I have.

Thanks
Linden
Old 09-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #879
Hardware Hotshot

Linden, call them. There is a phone number on their website, and they are very helpful.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #880
Hardware Hotshot

ya know, I'm gettin LAZY. I love my Slice and all, but on Mother's Day my husband took me shopping at Michael's with the kids, and I wanted to buy whatever...quickly. I didn't want him to spend enough for a new design card, so I ended up finding a bunch of great alphabet stickers. I've been using them for cards and scrapbook pages, to the point where I think it takes a frustrating amount of time to cut out a title using my Slice!
It doesn't help that I'm completely addicted to die cut machines, and I keep seeing more that I love. I eagerly awaited the ecraft release, looked heavily into the Silhouette SD, then got bit by the Cricut bug when I saw what my friend's Gypsy could do. What's WRONG with me?? I wonder if it's a hormonal imbalance, or a glandular disorder of some kind?
Seriously, it's probably just having the inconvenience of my broken finger slowing me down, but I do really want the Cricut Create with a Gypsy!! I really do!! (hiding my face in shame at my greediness!)