Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #41
Hardware Hotshot

Karin, glad to see you made it over here

Sheena, you will love the slice, and it goes well with the bug, i have both and i cut images them emboss them in the bug

Erin, thanks for the great tips! i will def google the chizlers

sprtchick, a friendly welcome to you too
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #42
Stampin' Fool

I love my slice, but I have the MM 12x12 mat and I do use their glue. It isn't messy and dries quickly. I cover my mats with plastic wrap and so far so good. The glue lasts for a long time. I have the mistletoe card but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I think this little gadget is better than the cricut. Small and cuts like butter even through basic grey.

I always keep mine plugged in and cut with it plugged in. I don't go to crops. I only make cards now so I use it at home.

Last edited by Momofoneson; 11-07-2009 at 01:04 AM..
Old 11-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #43
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallnPetal View Post
I'm having the toughest time lately with bad cuts. I finally gave up the other day because I killed three sheets of card stock (pricey mistakes) and I can't figure out what's wrong. It just won't completely do the design, it goes all crazy and seems to move on me no matter how hard or light I hold it down? Any suggestions?
Check your glue. Make sure you don't have too much and that it has dried completely. Also, adjust the blade. Did you register to get the new basic 1 with the cutting adjustment. Keep it plugged in when you cut. You don't need to hold it down with too much pressure, but you need to know the machine. You have to hold it steady. I just bought it and haven't lost any paper at all. Mine cuts perfectly with barely no pressure. Also, contact Making Memories. they are a wonderful company and will help you out.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #44
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelbenj View Post
I'm a Cricut Expressions owner. Convince me that I need a Slice. I love gizmos, but I need to be somewhat practical.

I like Julies pros and cons, but I need more convincing. Oh well, I'll admit it, I probably don't need too much convincing.
I sold my cricut expression and all the carts to a school out west and bought the slice. It's the best thing I did. I love it. Can't say enough about it.

1) It doesn't take up the entire desk
2) Cuts like butter and I love the reusable glass mat, I have both the 6x6 and the 12x12
3) Love the designs, especially the cute owls, and the fonts are wonderful
4) You don't have to push a million buttons to get it to do what you want
5) The cards are relatively inexpensive. You don't have to wait a year so the cards come down in price like the cricut

Cons: Can't use a 40 percent off coupon but you can buy on ebay and get the cards relatively inexpensive. There's only 1 more card I want so far, I have many. I want vintage findings.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:11 AM   #45
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofoneson View Post
I sold my cricut expression and all the carts to a school out west and bought the slice. It's the best thing I did. I love it. Can't say enough about it.

1) It doesn't take up the entire desk
2) Cuts like butter and I love the reusable glass mat, I have both the 6x6 and the 12x12
3) Love the designs, especially the cute owls, and the fonts are wonderful
4) You don't have to push a million buttons to get it to do what you want
5) The cards are relatively inexpensive. You don't have to wait a year so the cards come down in price like the cricut

Cons: Can't use a 40 percent off coupon but you can buy on ebay and get the cards relatively inexpensive. There's only 1 more card I want so far, I have many. I want vintage findings.
I just bought vintage finding and it is a GREAT card! I also bought the Mistletoe but haven't even opened that one yet since I have been playing with vintage.

Oh My Crafts has had some good prices, with an additional 20 percent off, and reasonable shipping. I combined my order with a friend and then we shared the shipping.

Love my slice, my little crafting are just won't allow for anything larger, and I am using the shapes to make all of my own embellishments for cards, as well as words/sayings.

For the price and ease of use, nothing compares to the slice. Having said that the one drawback is that some of the shapes are still a bit wonky, especially when cut small, but with the new calibration that problem is not near as bad as it was.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #46
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to kamots

Hi girls, I love my slice. Ok, I bought one early this summer, and it quit working, it was cutting slices/lines here and there. I tried everything that MM said to do, and then it wouldn't even "home" anymore. I bought another one just about 3 or so weeks ago. It ended up doing the same thing. So I sent them both back to MM and a week later, I received 2 brand new ones. I opened one and so far, it's working great.

I have several cards, including Mistletoe, Fa la la, all 3 basics, Note worthy and one or two more, I can't think of the names.

You can check thier website and get help pretty quickly as well.

PM me if anyone is intersted in buying a brand new one off of me It's not even opened.

Lori
Old 11-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #47
Hardware Hotshot

its so good to see so many of us joining in and sharing
lots of great tips and ideas in here, good work everyone

Lori, that is exactly what my machine was doing and i sent it off last week to MM, just waiting now for their return!

Mistletoe is a beautiful design card, and i have some projects planned for it when my "lil guy" comes back
Old 11-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #48
Rubber Obsessor

it won 't take them long to replace it for ya. I sent mine flat rate, on Friday, they got it on Monday and I got it back the following Monday. So only a week. Everything was brand-new! They changed my basic card for a different basic one. I haven't even tried the calabrating. It's working great. I just bought the basic 3 card last night. The corners look so pretty.

I guess I'll have to shop around online for some of the other cards I want. I know one of them is Vintage (I have a heritage album) and I love genealogy. Which is what got me into scrapping in the first place

Here's another tip, but not for the slice. If you use the EK cury cutters, I use the same glue for my slice on that cutting board, to hold down my paper. Works great

Have a great day/evening everyone.

Lori
Old 11-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #49
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via MSN to arubberstamper

It's been a week now since I've had my Pink Slice and I can't say enough good things about this machine. Love It Love It. I sold my cricut and turned around and used my money from that and bought the Pink Slice. I love the Think Pink card that came with it plus the Design Basic Elements card (that came with it too). I been cutting and cutting, I'm bad, I just love the way this things cuts and also the images. Also love my Note Worthy card too. Any one have any favorite Slice cards that they like to share with the rest of us. The prices are great for the Slice cards too.
arubberstamper
Old 11-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #50
Rubber Obsessor

If you go to their website whyslice.com, there's a list of all the new cards. But I can't find any at Michael's or the scrapbook store I go to. Does anyone happen to know of one or more good online stores that sell them?

I wish they had the "pink" one, when I was getting mine. I wonder if they will make the matching bags for the pink one? LOL.

I might be selling my cricut too. A friend of mine is interested. I sure hope she'll take it. There's a bunch of QK dies I want.

Too many goodies out there LOL.

Lori
Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 AM   #51
Hardware Hotshot

scrapbookpal is a good source, they usually have free ship on orders over $25!
and they are very speedy, i ordered on a Sunday and got it on weds, and i am on east coast

yes, i have seen access for the pink machines, but at the moment cant remember where.
when i do i will post ......just not enough coffee yet this morn
Old 11-09-2009, 05:46 AM   #52
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks so muc!! They have all the newer ones, and basic 3 is $10 cheaper than what I just paid for it at the SB store.

Oh, now I need even more money LOL. I gotta get Vintage, Farm Life and more hehehe.

have a great day, and get that coffee. I only drink Raspberry Crystal Light. But I used to be a soda addict. Until I found out that my sugar was in the 400's and that was why. So after 30 some years, I quit drinking pop. It can be a pain, when I go out, I always have to take CL with me (don't like the powdered) but most of the time, no one say's anything. A few times, when I ask for just a glass of ice, I get a little bit of a hard time. But they adjust LOL.

One time I was going to the movies. And when I offered to pay for a glass of ice, they gave me such a hard time over it. Tried to give me a tiny paper cup for free. It was my money, and if I want to buy something, I should be able to do it without any hassel right? Needless to say for other reasons, I never go to our theater. it's an older one, and not very nice.

Sorry for getting OT.

Have a great day everyone. I'll be here on and off, working on swaps.

Lori
Old 11-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #53
Hardware Hotshot

oh my Lori! you be careful with the sugar levels!

i quit pop for quite awhile but then made the mistake of having one, now i am back to one a day, sometimes 2.
but coffee is what i am almost never without in my hand ha ha my friends worry when they see me with out it

wow! they wouldnt sell you ice? ours always charges the same price as if it were a pop! crazy!
i try to wiat for all the movies to come to our base theater, they have really improved on getting the new ones quickly. our theater in town is so old and yucky, so dirty you dont wanna sit or touch anything! its really sad.

yes, vintage is on my wish list too but i have to be good at the moment ha ha
Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #54
Hardware Hotshot

YAY!!! i had an email this morn saying MM had just recieved my lil guy and would be checking it out, and to give 5-7 days to hear again.
well...........just got another one saying i have a return shipment due on fri!! YIPEEE,
that was super fast.
do you think that means they are sending a brand new one? wouldnt fixing the other one have taken longer? dare i hope? LOL

guess we'll know fri...oooh on fri the 13th toooooo...........................
Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #55
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempermom View Post
YAY!!! i had an email this morn saying MM had just recieved my lil guy and would be checking it out, and to give 5-7 days to hear again.
well...........just got another one saying i have a return shipment due on fri!! YIPEEE,
that was super fast.
do you think that means they are sending a brand new one? wouldnt fixing the other one have taken longer? dare i hope? LOL

guess we'll know fri...oooh on fri the 13th toooooo...........................
Awesome!!! WOW! That is really fast!

I just got mine in the post to them, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be coming back home quick, too. *hopeful*
Old 11-10-2009, 04:16 AM   #56
Stampin' Fool

I have to contact MM today. I am so bummed. My Mistletoe is not cutting properly. I tried Christmas which is at an angle. It started to cut it right then decided to cut it straight up and down. Uggh, the card is beautiful. So I put Fa La La back in and it cut perfectly. It also cut dream in 2" size perfectly. So bummed. Oh well. I even changed the blade. So instead of Merry Christmas on my card, bummer, I have to use Noel. The biggest disappointment is that the deer are so cute on this card. MM will make it right, but I'll have to wait until they replace it. Today, I think I'm going to try all the rest of the cards I have just to make sure they work. There are some that I haven't used. Might as well try them all before I call MM. I was really wanting to use the shadow feature for the words. I bought the card mostly for the deer, the words, the alpha. Again, bummer.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #57
Hardware Hotshot

Terri, can you take the Mistletoe card to a LSS for exchange? Since it's defective, they should exchange it for you. That would be quicker than waiting for MM to mail you a new one.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #58
Stampin' Fool

Unfortunately, I bought the card on ebay, so no taking it back to the store. AC Moore didn't have it.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #59
Insane Embellisher

So what's you guys opinion on paper. I "hear" it wastes alot of paper. Cutting a 5" square for each thing you want to cut seems a little cumbersome to me. Any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #60
Hardware Hotshot

Julie, i bet they will answer you quickly too, took about a week & 1/2 here

Terrie, what did MM have to say about mistletoe? i hope they will replace it for you quickly

Patrina, i bought a 9x12 glass matt, and use it so i can cut more designs out at a time. it saves paper and time too. but when i just need something quick, i do use the 6x6 matt that came with the machine. the 6x6 is perfect for using up all those scraps i have stashed away
Old 11-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #61
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Terrie, what did MM have to say about mistletoe? i hope they will replace it for you quickly

Patrina, i bought a 9x12 glass matt, and use it so i can cut more designs out at a time. it saves paper and time too. but when i just need something quick, i do use the 6x6 matt that came with the machine. the 6x6 is perfect for using up all those scraps i have stashed away
Well that makes sense. Im assuming you just move the machine in this case? I knew I could find some answers here
Old 11-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #62
Hardware Hotshot

oops, yes, i forgot to say that with the bigger matt you can move the machine for each cut!

there is a 12x12 matt avaiable by Slice, but you cant use a coupon for it at michaels wish we could i would have def gottten that becasue it would be even better.......
Old 11-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #63
Rubber Obsessor

Girls, for those of you who are pretty new to the slice. Go to their website and there's lots of tips on how to save on paper. I'm getting better at it. I cut mine so that it's a little bigger than the size I need and I can cut my design out of a scrap instead of a larger sheet.

I want the 12 x 12 glass mat as well. I tried my Slice once on the EK one, and it didn't work. I'm not sure besides the thickness why. But that was with my old machine. Haven't tried it with my new one.

Have a great day,
Lori
Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #64
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Yeah, I went ahead and bought the MM/Slice 12 x 12 glass mat. I am *so* glad did because it's just a heck of a lot easier to and much more efficient paper consumption wise.

I did already own the EK 9x12, but, I got the Slice one, too because I figured I might have a need for a glass mat that did NOT have any temporary adhesive on it and it would be a pain in the butt having to wash it off when switching between projects, UKWIM?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #65
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrina+2 View Post
So what's you guys opinion on paper. I "hear" it wastes alot of paper. Cutting a 5" square for each thing you want to cut seems a little cumbersome to me. Any suggestions?
You don't have to cut any size square for each thing you want to cut. It is easier to use the Slice with a 12x12 glass mat so you don't have to keep rearranging your paper but regardless of which mat you use, when you select your design image there will be a little 'x' in a circle which tells you where it starts its cutting. It's very easy to line up your next cut using this tip. You can cut your images very close together once you'd practiced a little. I actually love this feature about the Slice. It actually HELPS me conserve paper.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #66
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via AIM to nickesons

so where is the place I can complain/vent about my Slice?
Old 11-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #67
Rubber Obsessor

www.whyslice.com

There's a message board and they have mods there, 24/7 that can help.

good luck. Since I got a brand new one back from MM, everything has been going great.

Lori
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #68
Hardware Hotshot

nickesons, you can vent here! maybe one of us can help?

whyslice.com is very helpful too, they helped me when i had troubles. its quickest to go to their suport and submit an issue, then they will email you. i did on a Sunday and heard back on monday.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #69
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

The weird thing is... I cut little 2" items out on the card and it worked fine. I don't know if it was the speed firmware upgrade or what. I'm going to play with it some more and see if it still does the same thing. At least I will be able to get my Christmas cards done. It cut holiday perfectly. It just won't cut the word christmas.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #70
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrina+2 View Post
I use the MM 12x12 glass mat. You know it's not that expensive and I'm glad I purchased it.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #71
Hardware Hotshot

go see the cute Thank You book made with the slice on MM's blog

http://blog.makingmemories.com/
Old 11-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #72
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via AIM to nickesons
Default venting about Slice

Why slice doesn't let you post things in a forum any more. You can only see what has posted a while ago. I am frustrated with my Slice. The calibration seemed to help. I don't like that I seem to have to practice and adjust the blade for different materials. I have not gotten it to successfully cut paper yet; just cardstock. In intricate designs it'll cut out a space and drag that piece along with it while it's cutting. The demos all look so great and effortless. I don't think I should have to go through all this to get a good cut. Should I?
Old 11-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #73
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickesons View Post
Why slice doesn't let you post things in a forum any more. You can only see what has posted a while ago. I am frustrated with my Slice. The calibration seemed to help. I don't like that I seem to have to practice and adjust the blade for different materials. I have not gotten it to successfully cut paper yet; just cardstock. In intricate designs it'll cut out a space and drag that piece along with it while it's cutting. The demos all look so great and effortless. I don't think I should have to go through all this to get a good cut. Should I?
I fully expected to make adjustments to the depth of the blade depending on the material I was cutting through.

As for dragging along pieces that have already been cut, I'm guessing your paper or card stock is not completely stuck down to the glass mat with the temporary adhesive. Or, it is possible that a tiny (and I mean tiny) piece of paper waste is stuck to your blade and catching things?

After use, I try to make sure my glass mat is cleared of any waste bits that might impede the cutter the next time I have a die cutting session.

I will say that if you have diligently tried ALL the trouble-shooting tips at whyslice.com I'd definitely shoot CS an email and explain what the problem is. Taking pictures helps them also get a better understanding of the problems you are having.

You've registered your machine there, yes? They have been extremely responsive to those that are experiencing issues and striving to get those problems corrected.

HTH!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #74
Hardware Hotshot

nickesons, i am sorry you are having some troubles. the Slice can be a bit tempermental at times!

Julie gave some great advice , and i agree that maybe your adhesive isnt quite holding your paper well enough to keep the tiny items still while cutting.

the message boards are still active at whyslice, the link is under "support" now. i did have some troubles signing in when i first registered, so i sent an email and they helped me get in.

if you still are having troubles, go to whyslice, click on "support" then "submit an issue". explain to them just like you did here, and they are quick to answer. they also have a ph # too, which i have heard is even faster help.

i hope they can get you fixed up and you can have fun slicing away the day soon
Old 11-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #75
Hardware Hotshot

my lil guy came home this afternoon! the repair slip said "defective power cord,sending brand new one, and lubricated machine"

today was cold and rainy and the box was cold, so i took him out, plugged him in for a drink and let him sit for several hours to warm up. was so hard not to just put in a card and try him out!

but i waited til just now, i did several cuts and boy, he purs like a kitten LOL he doesnt creek and groan quite as bad anymore either! still a bit noisey but i think this is normal.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #76
Hardware Hotshot

i was finally able to try out my new Spring design card, wow ! some super cute shapes on it. theres a deer that can also be used for the holidays.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #77
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
my lil guy came home this afternoon! the repair slip said "defective power cord,sending brand new one, and lubricated machine"

today was cold and rainy and the box was cold, so i took him out, plugged him in for a drink and let him sit for several hours to warm up. was so hard not to just put in a card and try him out!

but i waited til just now, i did several cuts and boy, he purs like a kitten LOL he doesnt creek and groan quite as bad anymore either! still a bit noisey but i think this is normal.
*jealous*

Can hardly wait for mine to come home!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #78
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
i was finally able to try out my new Spring design card, wow ! some super cute shapes on it. theres a deer that can also be used for the holidays.
*chuckle*

I just keep petting the little booklets and ogling the designs, and trying to be patient--Yes, I know ZACLY which deer you're talkin' about! I think he'd be PERFECT for holiday cards, too!!!

Show & tell, girl!
Old 11-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #79
Crimping Master

OK, reading this thread got me to pull out my Slice again. Now, I am kinda looking for ideas. I checked the blog and the website, lots of cute stuff. Are there any other blogs you ladies know of that have a lot Slice projects posted? TIA!

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 11-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #80
Forum Fanatic

Check Yahoo groups for some Slice groups. Lots of ideas are shared there.