Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #601
Hardware Hotshot

i use baby wipes to clean the matt for the regular glue. havent tried the spray stuff yet.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 AM   #602
Pearl-ExPert

I use soap and water to clean my mat.

I have the Cricut spatula to remove cuts. I just bought the Slice spatula but have not tried it yet. This is kind of ironic a lot of the Cricut girl's prefer the Slice spatula to the Cricut one.

A dental pick really helps get those cuts off your mat. You must have a dental pick in your die cutting toolbox.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 03-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #603
Hardware Hotshot

I also clean my mat with soap and water, with a scrubbie sponge. I keep my mat covered with wax paper when I'm not using it, and I clean it probably once or twice a week.
I never have any trouble with things sticking too much, because I use such a thin, thin layer of glue. I occasionally have trouble with things not sticking because I've used so little glue, but not often.
As for getting the images off, because I use so little glue, it's very easy. I don't like my spatula. I use my lil' chizzler, which I LOVE. Just google Lil' Chizzler. I got mine as a gift, but when I googled them (in case I were to ever lose mine) I found they are sold for around $5 a dozen. I keep meaning to get $5 worth and give them to my friends!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #604
Hardware Hotshot

i use pan scrubbers from pampered chef to scrape my mat and to remove pieces. they work great.
just the other day i saw similar ones at the Dollar tree, 2 to a pack!!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #605
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempermom View Post
i use pan scrubbers from pampered chef to scrape my mat and to remove pieces. they work great.
just the other day i saw similar ones at the Dollar tree, 2 to a pack!!
great find!
Old 03-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #606
Hardware Hotshot

Slice stuff on sale at Hobby Lobby this week!
I only hope they will get the handfree system in. I'm impatient, I know!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #607
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks ladies for telling me how to clean the mat. I made some cute cards this weekend that I will get in the gallery and link her shortly..probably this evening. Loving the Slice..
blessings.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #608
Cardstock Collector

Hi Everyone!

I am a new Slice owner as of today. I was so excited to use it! So I thought I would try the embossing tips first. I embossed on CTMH patterned paper and on vellum, but as soon as I switched to CTMH card stock, I could no longer emboss. The machine would go through the motions, but would not make the design. I read the books backwards and forwards, read every FAQ on the website and watched every help video on the website. Then I tried to cut and again, no results. The machine just goes through the motions with no results (sounds like a bad first date, if you ask me!!). I currently left a message with customer service and sent them an email. Does anyone have any advice or help?

Thanks, from a proud Cricut owner.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #609
Stazon Splitcoast

Put your Slice on a slower speed. Slightly hold up the front end of the Slice. When you push the green 'cut' button, you should hear your blade/tip pop into position. Quickly set the front end down. Might take you a little practice to try this trick but it works. You might also want to adjust your tip depth if you need to.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #610
Cardstock Collector

Novell--

Thank you so much for your speedy reply! I'll give it a try when I get home from work!

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #611
Glitter Guru

Crafty - I love your user name!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #612
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Garkarlon!

It was given to me as a very affectionate nickname! Since then, I've been known as nothing else. It's even my Ebay name. I just had to find a spelling to trick the sites!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #613
Stazon Splitcoast

She said new owner as of today...have you charged your Slice for at least 24 hours? Makes all the difference in the world...just my .02...worth.
blessings.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #614
Glitter Guru

I want to tell you guys that the blade that came on my slice was very poor I had a terrible time cutting. I changed the blade and works Fabulously. Some of the new owners (I am one too) might try this trick.

My digi shop http://www.gingerloft.blogspot.com
Join my wii exercise group http://skinnywiththewii.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #615
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novell View Post
Put your Slice on a slower speed. Slightly hold up the front end of the Slice. When you push the green 'cut' button, you should hear your blade/tip pop into position. Quickly set the front end down. Might take you a little practice to try this trick but it works. You might also want to adjust your tip depth if you need to.

I tried this-- and heard the blade pop into position. Then it went back up and got stuck again midway through the cut. So the next cut, I held up the front end again. I kept doing this every time the blade would get stuck. While it worked and the image cut, it didn't cut very well and the paper ended up wiggling a bit. I will try charge it overnight and see if that helps. I also heard someone say something about WD-40... can anyone explain to me how to do this and if it works??

Another thing- I tried the "repositionable" glue that came with it and my image came off in shreds. What the heck???

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #616
Stazon Splitcoast

An overnight charge makes a world of difference. I hope it behaves for you tomorrow. As for the mat spread a light coat of adhesive and allow it to dry. It should be tacky to the touch. Too much glue and your paper wont' come off. Too little and your paper won't stick to the mat at all. Just takes a bit of practice. With the embossing tip you are using the embossing mat, right?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #617
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyBich View Post
I tried this-- and heard the blade pop into position. Then it went back up and got stuck again midway through the cut. So the next cut, I held up the front end again. I kept doing this every time the blade would get stuck. While it worked and the image cut, it didn't cut very well and the paper ended up wiggling a bit. I will try charge it overnight and see if that helps. I also heard someone say something about WD-40... can anyone explain to me how to do this and if it works??

Another thing- I tried the "repositionable" glue that came with it and my image came off in shreds. What the heck???

Thanks for the help!
I had this problem and emailed CS. They said to tighten the blade. But it was already tight. So I loosened it, and re-tightened it and it has worked since. They said the reason is that if the blade/embossing is loose, it will not drop down to make contact with the paper.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #618
Stazon Splitcoast

New Slice owner!!! Really easy to get going - I've already cut out several tags, shapes.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #619
Stazon Splitcoast

Whooohooo..it is an amazing little machine. I sure love mine.
blessings.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #620
Insane Embellisher

I love mine too.....I'm new to the Slice. In fact I just got my new Pink bag and coordinating cases for it! It's so much fun to play with, can't believe how easy it is!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #621
Hardware Hotshot

Welcome all newbies!!

yes it is quite a little powerhouse of a machine isnt it!
i've got mine charging right now so i can do some cuts later. i wanna use the Spring design card that has been patiently waiting on me LOL
Old 03-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #622
Matboard Maniac

I got my Slice today! It is soooo cute. The first thing I did was bring it into my stamp room, plug it in & left. I want to try it sooo bad, but after reading this thread I decided to charge it before I even touch it. It;s taking tons of will power, but I think I can do this.
I have wanted a die cutting machine for years, but couldn't justify the space needed for a Cricut. The prices for the small one have tempted me. I'm a stamper/cardmaker. I'm very into chipboard books right now. I just don't see the need for a huge machine. I have a Big Shot & Cuttlebug with my Nestabilities. I think the Slice will be a great addition to my collection. It's so small! I just love how easy it will be to store.
Thanks for all the pointers in this thread. I really feel I'm ready to use my machine correctly after it charges. Thanks, JIL
Old 03-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #623
Stazon Splitcoast

I checked out the new magnetic mat at my LSS. Here's the problem....you can't get it wet. I'm not sure how you would clean the glass if you can't get it wet. My LSS told me the MM folks (who were just there recently) just keep spraying glue over the top of existing glue. Sometimes they use the scraper from the tool kit to scrape the existing glue off and then spray over it.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #624
Hardware Hotshot

Congrats Jil.....youre gonna love the Slice!

Hmmmm.....Novell......that makes me wonder too......i like using baby wipes on my matt, but they still get it somewhat wet.

my thoughts with the magnet is how they got it to work without damage to the parts of the machine that read the cards....KWIM? they always say keep mags away from computers and TV's etc etc!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #625
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, the mat itself can get wet, I think but you can't let the water get under the edge and to the other side of the mat. You should still be fine with your wipes. I think the idea is that you can't place the mat under running water and/or immerse it.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #626
Hardware Hotshot

Drat!! We took a trip for the last weekend of spring break, and I forgot I wanted to go shopping at Hobby Lobby before their Slice sale was over! (sigh) That's ok. I'll buy some more spring clothes...or save the cash for when I can find the handsfree thingy.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #627
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novell View Post
Well, the mat itself can get wet, I think but you can't let the water get under the edge and to the other side of the mat. You should still be fine with your wipes. I think the idea is that you can't place the mat under running water and/or immerse it.
Hmm, really. Guess I won't be buying it. I was excited about it, but to not be able to get the old glue off seems to me that it would affect the cutting.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #628
Rubber Obsessor

I don't know about that mat. I use the Slice for small quick projects and holding it for a few seconds isn't that big of a deal. I also like the small at that came with it. I don't know how I would like the bigger one, I scrap on a scrap booking table and need every inch I can get on it.

I really don't like the fact I couldn't wash it. I clean mine every time I'm ready to put it up and just re-spray the next time.

Cyndi
Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #629
Hardware Hotshot

I still want to get the mat. Surely making memories have suggestions for cleaning it? If they were to tell me that I could keep spraying the glue on there, I'd be happy with that.
It would never work with the tube of glue, though, that's for sure!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #630
Matboard Maniac

I haven't been back to the board since I got my Slice. That's how much I love it. It;s the perfect size for my compact stamping space. I have my stamp desk set into half of the closet in my stamp room. I also am weird about letting things get too out of control, so the Slice is perfect for me. I was worried that I'd feel limited by the 4" max, but I don't. Again, I make mostly cards and have just gotten into mini books again. I find that I am using many things in the 2" size. I made some really cool acetate butterflies. I am on a major budget, so I am waiting for my Mike's to have a sale so I can stock up on cartridges. I know I'll have to wait a long time, but it'll be worth it. I'll probably also try ebay while I wait. I'm going back to my stamp room to play some more. Love it!
As for the new hands free mat, it makes sense that you can't get it wet. It has the big embossing mat ont he back. I would think that you can scrape old adhesive off of it with the tool used to clean flat top ovens. Of course, baby wipes would also work. I too still want one when they come out. JIL
Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #631
Stazon Splitcoast

I was so excited to get my Slice...but ...it stopped cutting like it was suppose to...so back to Hobby Lobby it went.....they were suppose to call me about it today...but didn't. hmmmmm????
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #632
Stazon Splitcoast

There are things you could have tried before returning that. Mainly, charge it overnight before using. You could also contact MM customer service (I suggest by phone rather than email) for trouble shooting tips. If necessary, they will take back your machine and either repair or replace it, depending on the problem. Sometimes it's been an issue of a bad power cord.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #633
Stazon Splitcoast

yep...we tried that ....it was a faulty machine. so for now...no slice...I am going to try the one at Michaels during scrapbook night for awhile now.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #634
Stazon Splitcoast

Ah, well. Hopefully you have a new, working machine soon!!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #635
Matboard Maniac

My daughter had to send hers back. I was very impressed on how fast they checked out her machine and send the new one back to her. It was just over a week for the whole process. They even sent her some goodies for her trouble.

Great customer support.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #636
Stazon Splitcoast

Slicin' away here in NV...lol
blessings.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #637
Hardware Hotshot

So, has anybody seen the new handsfree system in a store yet? Even an online store. I'm getting frustrated. March is almost over, and it was supposed to ship into the stores in March. Maybe I was mistaken thinking it would actually be in the stores by now...
Has anybody seen it ANYWHERE?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #638
Stazon Splitcoast

Nope
Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #639
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok....got an opportunity to make a couple more simple cards with my Slice Think Pink. Here they are:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=67711

I apologize for the picture quality..my camera batteries were dying...

blessings.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #640
Crimping Master

Cute cards, Amber! Hey, I am wondering if Slice cards are currently on sale anywhere? I am in need of some retail therapy and was thinking about buying one or two to perk myself up. TIA!

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/