Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Singer Pixie Sewing Machine

I don't sew, but love the look of it on cards and such. Saw the Singer Pixie at Walmart for $49.99. Anyone have any experience with this machine? Is it easy to use for a person who doesn't sew? Enlighten me (and my checking account), please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just got this machine on saturday and i LOVE LOVE LOVE It. I sewed through 4 layers of fabric to see how it worked and it was great. It even has a light! This is mine

Runs with decorative scissors!

View My Blog!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I'm interested to see what people will say. I saw it on sale at my Walmart for $39 and considered getting one.

Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckiddView Post
I'm interested to see what people will say. I saw it on sale at my Walmart for $39 and considered getting one.

Connie
I almost bought one yesterday, but I'd like to hear from people on SCS that have used it. I read some reviews about this machine online which were very negative, but they were pretty much all people trying to use it as a regular sewing machine. I don't plan on using this a lot, I just want to be able to do some cute stitching on cards once in a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeyore151View Post
I almost bought one yesterday, but I'd like to hear from people on SCS that have used it. I read some reviews about this machine online which were very negative, but they were pretty much all people trying to use it as a regular sewing machine. I don't plan on using this a lot, I just want to be able to do some cute stitching on cards once in a while.
I started to buy one too, since they have been marked down from 49.00 to 39.00. I came here to see if anyone had used one and see how they felt about it. I found very mixed reviews, seems people either loved it or didn't like it at all. The ones that I found that didn't like it were like you said, people using it as a regular sewing machine and not for paper crafts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I used my neices last night and did not like it at all. It was to clanky and seemed liked it needed oiling or something. The shaft area seemed too stiff or something. It oculd just be a defective one or something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

ok so im reporting back now that ive had my machine for a week. I love it!! Im almost done making a purse which is not why i bought it but I figured might as well test regular sewing on it. So far so good. As soon as im done ill post pics. I also have did about 10 stitched cards. The only thing bad about the machine i can see is that the foot petal cord needs to be longer but i use the switch anyways so ...

Runs with decorative scissors!

View My Blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I have one that I got for Christmas (PixiePlus from HSN) but its still in the box...can't figure out how to get the yellow thread off that came on it and put white thread in it.

Needless to say I am rather technically challenged when reading instructions is involved...:rolleyes:
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a Janome that I absolutely love. But I do wish that it had a light on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

So glad you all posted this! I have a regular Kenmore machine that I sew on but am extremely hesitant using it for cards. I don't want to break it! This sounds like a nice option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I finally got one as a gift and have used it on a few cards. Pretty easy for the in-experienced like me. My only problem is the foot pedal doesn't work that well...using the switch is okay, but it moves a little too fast for me. I've sewn through 2 layers of SU cardstock with no trouble. HTH anyone else who is interested in this little machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

My friend has one and she says the spools of thread are hard to find for this machine. I have a Janome mini I got at Hancock fabric for 49.99 and I love it!
Debi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:45 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Sewing machine advice

I am a quilter and scrapper; let me hit some of the questions above.

If you have a "regular" sewing machine, I would not have any worries about using it on 1-2 layers of cardstock or DP. Cautions would be to use a heavier-duty needle on cardstock (like ones marketed for sewing on denim), and go slowly, especially at first. Regular needles would be fine for DP.

If you are a beginner, go slowly... beginners tend to pull or push the material/paper (rather than letting the machine's feed dogs feed the material under the needle). When they do, the needle can be slightly bent, hit the throat plate (the metal plate with a hole in it that the needle does up and down through), and break the needle. Then the tip of the needle goes flying. I would go so far as to advise wearing some eye protection until you find out if you are one of those or not!

For any machine, having it threaded correctly is ESSENTIAL... it WILL NOT WORK if it is not threaded correctly (both top and bottom). Follow the threading diagrams exactly, ask an experienced sewer to help you the first few times if you have trouble. Make sure the needle is inserted into the machine the correct way... needles have a flat side and a rounded side on the top... different machines specify how it should be inserted. Again... it will not work if the needle is not inserted correctly.

A simple zig-zag stitch is a good place to start on cards..... if you are a little uneven or don't sew completely straight, it will not show.

good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I have this Pixie machine and I love it...I do only use it for cards/scrapbooking pages! This machine fits me perfectly because I don't sew...only on paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

My hesitation to use my *regular* machine on paper is some people have said the tiny bits of paper get into the inner workings. Anyone ense feel that that is an issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyKumarView Post
I am a quilter and scrapper; let me hit some of the questions above.

If you have a "regular" sewing machine, I would not have any worries about using it on 1-2 layers of cardstock or DP. Cautions would be to use a heavier-duty needle on cardstock (like ones marketed for sewing on denim), and go slowly, especially at first. Regular needles would be fine for DP.

If you are a beginner, go slowly... beginners tend to pull or push the material/paper (rather than letting the machine's feed dogs feed the material under the needle). When they do, the needle can be slightly bent, hit the throat plate (the metal plate with a hole in it that the needle does up and down through), and break the needle. Then the tip of the needle goes flying. I would go so far as to advise wearing some eye protection until you find out if you are one of those or not!

For any machine, having it threaded correctly is ESSENTIAL... it WILL NOT WORK if it is not threaded correctly (both top and bottom). Follow the threading diagrams exactly, ask an experienced sewer to help you the first few times if you have trouble. Make sure the needle is inserted into the machine the correct way... needles have a flat side and a rounded side on the top... different machines specify how it should be inserted. Again... it will not work if the needle is not inserted correctly.

A simple zig-zag stitch is a good place to start on cards..... if you are a little uneven or don't sew completely straight, it will not show.

good luck!!

Click here to: Join us for the Scrapbook Challenges!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

With any machine, after a certain amount of sewing, lint from fabric will build up and machines do need to be cleaned (most machines come with a small brush for cleaning out lint, and also usually a small container of oil for oiling the machine). I would think "lint" from paper would be the same. I agree with KittyKumar above that you are fine with using your "regular" machine if you want to sew on cards, and as she said, use a needle specified for denim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I live in Canada and saw an ad for the Pixie in Scrapbooks Etc. magazine. They gave it a thumbs up. Our Walmart does not carry it so when my DH was in the States, he picked me one up. I love it for making cards and have not had any problems. I use taller spools of thread and they've been fine. The foot pedal worked the first time, but then didn't. However, I contacted Singer and they are shipping me a new one, no problem. I suggest if you are having any problems, contact Singer. For card making, 2 thumbs up from me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Smile SINGER PIXIE AT BIG LOTS

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaudhuitView Post
I don't sew, but love the look of it on cards and such. Saw the Singer Pixie at Walmart for $49.99. Anyone have any experience with this machine? Is it easy to use for a person who doesn't sew? Enlighten me (and my checking account), please!
Hi! I just bought a Singer Pixie at Big Lots for $30. They had a bunch of them. I have a 1928 Singer, a Janome, a Riccar serger and 2-3 other sewing machines because I SEW! But I didn't want to take the chance of messing up the timing on my good machines. Paper and weird stuff can be difficult. Threading corredtly is a must and you MUST use the right needle for the job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have a full-sized Singer and, like Goodwyfe, didn't want to mess up my good machine, so I bought the Pixie at Walmart several months ago, took it out once, couldn't get it to work, got discouraged and it's still sitting in the box. But, my patience is limited these days, so maybe I just need to give it another chance.

Click here to: Join us for the Scrapbook Challenges!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I got a special buy on my Pixie and it came with a bonus kit with lots of thread and bobbins. I can't get it to work though, the top thread won't grab the bottom thread and pull it through. :-(
Reply With Quote Likes