Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette SD vs Cameo

Ok so I've been looking to get a Silhouette for several years. When I had finally stopped waffling and decided to take the plunge, I found out the Cameo was about to be released so I decided to wait some more.

Now I'm waffling again... there is a (slightly) used SD on Craigslist. I'd like the idea of a newer model but I have to wonder if it's really worth it. It costs like $375 here plus tax, shipping and duty on top of that will push it well over $400. Does the Cameo actually *cut better* than the SD? Because I can deal with it being noisier, not cutting 12" paper, etc. if its ability to cut is essentially the same, and uses the same blades and replacement parts (is that right?)

thanks for any insights!
-Heather
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Heather, I just ordered my Cameo from Oh My Crafts. The sale price was $269.99 USD, with a vinyl sampler pack. There was a coupon for 20% off, so all together it cost me just $265.23 CAD. It's being shipped on the 16th by USPostal Service, slower but cheaper than UPS. I Can't wait!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Hi Heather, I had the SD but sold it for the Cameo. I didn't find the Cameo to cut better than the SD, both the Cameo and SD cut beautifully for me. Also, my Cameo is not that much quieter than the SD was.

One main difference is the blade holder...the ratchet blade means you can cut thicker card stock/items. I've noticed the need to do double passes has been cut down quite a bit with the ratchet blade. However, I'm pretty sure you could still get the SD and replace the blade holder with the ratchet blade holder.

I have some things I've cut using the Cameo on my blog, but these are cuts I was able to get with the SD too. You could get the SD (esp if you can get it at a good price) and always upgrade if you decided you wanted/needed the Cameo. So far, the SD has held a good resale value.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

btw...your avatar is adorable!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I am so lucky to have found a thread talking about the SD & Cameo (I am assuming the Cameo is the latest version or an upgrade of the Silhouette?).
I have wanted to invest in a really good die cutting machine, that will last me a long time. I had the original Cricut,which at the time I hardly used, as the carts were not all that suited to cardmaking. SO I sold it 2 years ago.

I feel so ignorant about what all the machines can do and can't do; I think I want something I can hook to my computer---I see all kinds of really cool things that can be cut out in SVG files--anyone know what type of machines can cut these type of files? Also, when you purchase digital scrapbooking kits, don't the embellishments come in a format that can be cut out? What kind of machine can do that?

At first I was leaning toward Cricut Expressions 2, been around a long time, can work as stand alone, supplies are available locally, carts are availabe a variety of places are discount prices I hear, but then I see all these other machines Silhouette, Pazzles, Ecraft, but I am not sure about the ease of use and what is available in terms of designs to download, as compared to hundreds of cartidges? I also am limited as I only have 1 USB port available on my computer, and I see that some machines use 2. Does the Silhouette use 1 or 2 ports? How about the Cricut Expressions?

I don't know if anyone has time to address my long list of questions that have probably been asked many times before, but that would be so appreciated!! You know how it is when you are contemplating a major purchase like this!
Thank you kindly and Happy New Year,
Stacy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodellView Post
I am so lucky to have found a thread talking about the SD & Cameo (I am assuming the Cameo is the latest version or an upgrade of the Silhouette?).
I have wanted to invest in a really good die cutting machine, that will last me a long time. I had the original Cricut,which at the time I hardly used, as the carts were not all that suited to cardmaking. SO I sold it 2 years ago.

I feel so ignorant about what all the machines can do and can't do; I think I want something I can hook to my computer---I see all kinds of really cool things that can be cut out in SVG files--anyone know what type of machines can cut these type of files? Also, when you purchase digital scrapbooking kits, don't the embellishments come in a format that can be cut out? What kind of machine can do that?

At first I was leaning toward Cricut Expressions 2, been around a long time, can work as stand alone, supplies are available locally, carts are availabe a variety of places are discount prices I hear, but then I see all these other machines Silhouette, Pazzles, Ecraft, but I am not sure about the ease of use and what is available in terms of designs to download, as compared to hundreds of cartidges? I also am limited as I only have 1 USB port available on my computer, and I see that some machines use 2. Does the Silhouette use 1 or 2 ports? How about the Cricut Expressions?

I don't know if anyone has time to address my long list of questions that have probably been asked many times before, but that would be so appreciated!! You know how it is when you are contemplating a major purchase like this!
Thank you kindly and Happy New Year,
Stacy
I feel bad that no one answered your questions on here. I don't know enough about my Cameo to answer your questions in detail, but since I got my Cameo I've been going to the Silouette Plus chat forum and have had all of my questions answered there. There are some really knowledgeable people on there that know the Silhouette systems inside and out!!!! Good luck! I know the Silhouette does cut SVG after you upgrade to the Designer edition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodellView Post
anyone know what type of machines can cut these type of files?
Check the list of supported machines for SCAL and Make the Cut
Quote:

Also, when you purchase digital scrapbooking kits, don't the embellishments come in a format that can be cut out? What kind of machine can do that?
You can always use the software to trace around an image to make a cut file.
Quote:

I am not sure about the ease of use and what is available in terms of designs to download, as compared to hundreds of cartidges?
There are numerous vendors of designs to download. SVG Cuts, SVG Attic, Mygrafico, Scrappy Dew, Lettering Delights, and many more. Plus all the free files you can find people sharing on the discussion forums for the various cutters and software. There is an overwhelming amount of content available.

Quote:

Does the Silhouette use 1 or 2 ports? How about the Cricut Expressions?
Both use only one port. Be advised, with the Cricut you can ONLY use Cricut products. You cannot use downloaded files of any kind. You MUST buy all your cutting files from Cricut.

For ease of use, I would recommend the Cameo or the Sizzix eclips. The Cameo comes with software that connects to an online store with lots of things to easily download. However, you have to upgrade the software or buy third-party software to use SVGs.

The eclips uses cartridges - very easy to use, nicely coordinated sets of cuts, and has software available that can cut SVGs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

subbing..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default Love my Cameo

I just the Cameo a couple of weeks ago and I could hardly love anything more. So many capabilities!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Got a notice that my Cameo is now at the Post Office - guess I'll be a happy lady tomorrow night! Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry I don't know anything about the Cameo...but if you are just looking for a cutting machine I have a brand new Klic N Kut ZING for sale.
Either way I hope you are able to get what you've been looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default sylhouette cameo

A little while sone one asked for the weight and diminsions. Here they are.

Width: 21 inches
Height: 5 � inches (allow 9 � for open lid)
Depth: 6 � inches (allow 14 inch clearance in front and back to accommodate material feed-through)
Weight: 5 1/2 lbs

The actual shipping box is 24x11x11 and weighs 12 lbs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the replies, everyone. A couple of days after posting I decided to get the Cameo, one day later it was at my door. I think I made the right decision! It was of course pricier than a used SD, but I think in the long run it will be worth it. Supplies and support will be easier to come by, plus it's just super cool! I've had it for about two weeks now and I've been cutting nearly every day. It's just so much fun. Anything I can imagine, I can cut. When I show people what I made they can't believe it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

Congratulations. My Cameo arrived a couple days ago. I'm very pleased with the print & cut capabilities. I'm going to start filling the house with paper toys.

If you're looking for a forum with extensive information on the Cameo, check out Silhouette Plus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Glad you are happy with your choice! Just an FYI for anybody else looking for information that it is pretty easy to expand the number of USB ports on your pc. You can buy a usb hub for as cheap as $6 at any electronics or office supply store. Any of the big box stores might have one as well by the computer stuff.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I find that Silouette Customer Support to be the best!!! I definately recommend the Silouette cameo!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Just so I'm clear....the cameo is the upgrade of the SD? Is this correct? Or at the very least, if not an upgrade then the next model?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Sorry...and another qu.

How long do cutter blades and the sticky mat last for? I've heard varying timeframes, and I realise that it would depend on use, but ballpark.....??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Yes, the Cameo is the next model up from the SD.

I've had mine since January and I've just changed blades for the first time, and still using the same mat. The mat gets all cut up, but it doesn't affect its performance. It's actually pretty easy to extend the life of the mat-- I've cleaned it a few times using masking tape wrapped around my hand to take off bits of paper and dust, I've washed it with soap and water in the sink and let it air dry, and I've made it sticky again with a can of repositionable spray glue.

Hope this is useful info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Default upgrading to the Cameo

I currently own a Silhouette SD, and I do like it. However, I am interested in the Cameo because of the size difference. Does anyone know: can I use all the images currently in my library, purchased for my SD, with the new Cameo? Will I lose anything in my library when I load the new software for the Cameo? Will I dump the SD software before loading the Cameo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll still use Silhouette Studio software with the Cameo, so you won't loose any images. I went from the SD to the Portrait (same as Cameo but smaller) and didn't loose a thing.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
You'll still use Silhouette Studio software with the Cameo, so you won't loose any images. I went from the SD to the Portrait (same as Cameo but smaller) and didn't loose a thing.
interesting, why did you choose the Portrait over the Cameo? Curious as the Portrait is the same size as the the SD. What can it do that your SD can't?
I have an SD at the moment, I haven't explored it enough to justify buying another. I sadly bought mine just a month before they announced the Cameo.
Reply With Quote Likes