Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Location: still hiding behind my Foster Grants...can I come out yet?!?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette Portrait questions

So I was really excited about my Silhouette Portrait mostly because I wanted to use the heat transfer material to make t-shirts and such for my family.
I've spent the last two days playing around with it and it doesn't work, so perhaps some of you all can help me out.
1. It doesn't tell me what direction to put the blade in. Intuitively, I believe that the number should face forward. Is this the case?
2. When attempting to cut heat transfer material(Silhouette brand), it won't cut at all with the recommended settings. The blade moves, but it won't even make a mark on the material. Are there other settings I should use instead?
3. The users guide says to center the material between the white rollers, but my rollers are much narrower than the material. I've tried to adjust them, but they don't move.

I've pulled the blade out and put it back in, I've shut down and turned back on. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm following all the directions.

I haven't reached the point where I'm planning to return it, but I'm close.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a Cameo but will try to help

1. Watch this video by Gina K. She is setting up the Cameo but I think the blade goes in the same way on the Portrait. The numbers on the blade cylinder are on the bottom and there is a ridge that protrudes on the upper side of the blade cylinder that must go into the slot. First you need to release the blade lock, by turning the blue knob counter clockwise. Be sure to turn the lock back when you finish.

SIlhouette Cameo - Getting Started - YouTube

2. If it is not cutting the blade may not be set to the proper depth. Check on the right panel in the software and it tells you the correct settings for various material . You need to choose vinyl to get the correct settings for that

3. The reason you can't get the vinyl to fit between the rollers is the Portrait only cuts a maximum width of 8" and the vinyl is 9" wide . You will need to trim the vinyl by at least an inch so it will fit between the rollers
The Cameo cuts 12" wide material

4. Scroll down here to download the complete Silhouette Studio manual

Silhouette - Download New Software

Hope this helps
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-18-2012 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #3  
Inking Addict

Location: still hiding behind my Foster Grants...can I come out yet?!?

Thanks Barbara Jay for your help! I figured out a few things actually after a bit more trial and error. Visually inspecting that the blade is in contact with the material is very important. Even though I was pressing down, it wasn't coming into contact with the material although I can't figure out why.
I needed better light to see the cuts in the heat transfer material. The Silhouette cuts with a great degree of accuracy and therefore it was difficult for me to see that it had actually cut.
Now that I've seen it in action, I'm thrilled. I made the cutest shirt for my toddler this morning just in time for him to wear it today. I can see it coming in very handy and am looking forward to making more custom clothing with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This site, UKScrappers, is about the Silhouette, in its assorted forms. Its full of help & info, tutorials etc. After you have been a member for a month, you also get(free) access to the hundreds of cutting files the members post up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

I just got the Portrait and I think I will love it. But I can't find a way to advance the mat once you've cut something out of the top and want to reload it. Do you just have to position your next cut image lower on the mat in the software? It seems like it would be easier to just advance the mat, but I don't see anything in the software that does that.
Reply With Quote Likes