Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Silhouette Digital Craft Cutter

I purchased a Silhouette Digital Craft Cutter from Oh My Crafts last night. . . they still have it on sale today - but with free shipping. Last night they did not offer free shipping to me. I'm wondering if I made a bad choice in the purchase. Can anyone tell me if I should have held out for a Cricut instead? Now I'm fretting. It was on sale for $99.00 and they state it usually goes for $299
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I don't think you will regret your decision. I bought mine several months ago for a lot more (but not full price...) and wish I had waited now that the price is so good...even with shipping!!

I love this machine....and you should check out their membership for online purchases. If you get the annual membership all of your digital downloads are free. I love that it will cut any True Type font, too!

Have fun with your new purchase!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

QuicKutz on line? So it will do what the Cricut does? sort of? Sorry to be so lamebrained but when I told some people I worked with about my purchase, they had never heard of the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The original Silhouette allows you to create (or copy) digital images using your computer and cut them out. The Cricut runs off of a cartridge and is not connected to your computer. The newer Silhouette also allows you to use a chip. Sorry - I don't know enough about the new one to accurately describe it.

I love my (original) Silhouette and have only barely started using it. Please see this thread for even more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 04:52 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Billie Dee, thank you for the links You always seem to be able to help me out. I'm awaiting the arrival of the Silhouette - so until it comes I'll start reading some of these sites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biko8666View Post
Billie Dee, thank you for the links You always seem to be able to help me out. I'm awaiting the arrival of the Silhouette - so until it comes I'll start reading some of these sites.

<beams!> Glad I could help. Now - if I could stop surfing and actually get some cards finished ..... <grin>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

IMO the Silhouette is a much better investment as you never have to buy any cartridges (shapes, fonts) or extra software.

There are literally 1000s of free shapes available on line. If you check the right hand side of my blog, I have links to a number of sites that you can download free shapes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I have both and I paid much more for my silhouette, and I use it alot more than my cricut. I still use my cricut in a pinch but I almost always anymore turn to my silhouette because I can always cut exactly what I am looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you Jennifer and Sammsmom1 I have a lot of reading to do on the Silhouette, thanks to everyone who gave me blogs, websites and links. I am one of those people who feel like they need to know everything about something before I try it. Weird huh? But that's me. . . If anyone knew how long I had cardstock (and all the supplies to make cards) before I ever had the nerve to attempt it, you'd laugh at me. I don't want to do this with my machine once I get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I saw the Silhouette today on "clearance" at a local store for $100. I had it in my cart and then put it back. I have no idea if it was the "old" one or the "new" one. I knew I could come to SCS for advice! I'm basically a cardmaker--I do VERY little scrapbooking. Even if it is the "old" one, is that a good deal and would it be beneficial to cardmaking? Thanks in advance for your advice, help and expertise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

i want to get the newest version, but I dont like the fact that it cant cut chipboard. The cricut has a deep blade but I hate buying Carts!! Oh what to do...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I own a CraftRobo (silouette/craftrobo/wishblade - all the same machine - different software sold with each machine) and I absolutely love it. You can "make" your own chipboard pieces with these machines. what I do is cut 3 or 4 pieces of the shape I want, glue them together, and then treat the piece like chipboard. Works great to use up cardstock scraps, and the top layer is in the cardstock/patterned paper I want.

I would personally recommend the craftrobo/silouette/wishblade over a cricut machine. Much more versatile and no expensive cartridges to buy - ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I, also bought the Silhouette from Oh my Crafts and love it. I have only had it a couple of weeks so am still learning all that it can do, but I am just amazed. I don't think you will regret your purchase at all. There are so many free images out there and it came with a free $25 download card and each image is only $1.99 (makes me regret all those punches that I bought). I am going to use it on my Easter cards, I'll post a pic when I get them done!!

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scamper64View Post
I saw the Silhouette today on "clearance" at a local store for $100. I had it in my cart and then put it back. I have no idea if it was the "old" one or the "new" one. I knew I could come to SCS for advice! I'm basically a cardmaker--I do VERY little scrapbooking. Even if it is the "old" one, is that a good deal and would it be beneficial to cardmaking? Thanks in advance for your advice, help and expertise!
I have the "old" silhouette and have no inclination to want the new one.

For $100 I would RUN back to that store.

Search for "silhouette" here and read some of the other threads about it- that should help you make your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes