Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree268Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #321
Matboard Maniac

ok-feeling REAL STUPID here-but...I now have SilhouetteStudio Design Edition. I have a few designes frm SVGS.com but when I save them they are saving as ZIP files....???? can not figure out how to change them over...missing something here-grrrrr. (REALLY not wanting to go back to my Cricut-so thought I better just come here for HELP!!!!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #322
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedcurtain View Post
My first vinyl project using my Silhouette Cameo.
Jingle all the way

I had no plans to get into vinyl, but could not resist this! I *did* stamp the background paper. Paper is still my first love!

Charmaine
GORGEOUS! I really love the little bells.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 12-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #323
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry107 View Post
ok-feeling REAL STUPID here-but...I now have SilhouetteStudio Design Edition. I have a few designes frm SVGS.com but when I save them they are saving as ZIP files....???? can not figure out how to change them over...missing something here-grrrrr. (REALLY not wanting to go back to my Cricut-so thought I better just come here for HELP!!!!)
A zip file is a compressed folder. Your file is in that folder and you will need to uncompress it.

Google "How to open a zip file" you will get lots of great tutorials.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
sherry107 likes this post.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #324
Proud Fan Club Member

If you have Windows 7 or later you don't need to do anything but right click your zip file and choose "extract" or just highlight the zip file and it should give you options at the top of the page to extract all, install, etc.
sherry107 likes this post.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #325
Rubber Obsessor

I just received my Portrait for Christmas-- well, sort of. My husband wrapped it up but let me take the cd and gift cards out. I loaded Silhouette Studio, registered my machine and then used a gift card to upgrade to Design Studio. I thought my machine came with 50 free cuts/images but I see none. What should I do?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #326
Matboard Maniac

catxnmks, try going to the Sil online store and type original in the search box. A lot of the files that pop up should be free. That is how I found them. (Or it might be I searched original 50 - cannot recall). If that does not work, email Sil support and ask them.

Charmaine
Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #327
Matboard Maniac

The Silhouette America Online Store has two free files in addition to their weekly freebie - the first 2 in their 12 days of Christmas series. If you go to the store and click on new designs they will be the first two in the list, I think.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #328
Rubber Obsessor

Ok this may be a stupid question, but is there anyone that makes cutfiles similar to the spellbinder dies? I love the intricate frames, but nothing like that is really in the silhouette store.

I feel I may have to get a manual machine for embossing and spellbinders. I love the spellbinders.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #329
Mad Swapper

Two places worth a look for you:
Birdscards She has hundreds of free cutting files on her site, many like the Nesties.
and UKScrappers
With UKScrappers, you have to join the forum, and be a member for a month to get access to the free cutting files, but its well worth the wait. Thousands of available cutting files on there,again, many like Nesties.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #330
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Birdscards She has hundreds of free cutting files on her site, many like the Nesties.
and UKScrappers
With UKScrappers, you have to join the forum, and be a member for a month to get access to the free cutting files, but its well worth the wait. Thousands of available cutting files on there,again, many like Nesties.
How much does it cost to join UKScrappers ? Do you need to sign up for a certain number of months at a time ?
Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #331
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
How much does it cost to join UKScrappers ? Do you need to sign up for a certain number of months at a time ?
It is free to join, Barbara.

Lesley
Old 12-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #332
Rubber Obsessor

I signed up. Do you have to have a certain number of posts or just be there a month? I bought Some cricut mats on sale. I love them! I got 2 for $8. The silhouette ats were 14 for one.

The mat that came with my machince was super flimsy. The cricut mat is much more heavy weight. How long do your mats last? I've had my machince about 2 months and my original mat is useless, but I did accidentally cut it in half, lol.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #333
Mad Swapper

Sorry, forgot to say its a free signup! No minimum number of posts, just being a member is all. Loads of info on there too about the machines, and a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #334
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Yahoo to BluDragon

My DH got me a cameo for xmas! It is my first cutter and i love it =) I already DLed tons of free svgs and extracted them to their own folders etc. Trying to keep organized I made several folders in SSDE but I cant seem to move any files into them. When I import the files go right to My Own Designs, ive tried dragging, importing while being in the selected folder but the files always end up in my own designs. I would also like to edit the keywords but I cant seem to figure that out. Any ideas?

**OK I just moved some files that were in the recently downloaded folder by dragging. That worked fine, So im not sure why the SVGs I imported wont move.

Last edited by BluDragon; 12-26-2013 at 03:28 PM..
Old 12-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #335
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluDragon View Post
My DH got me a cameo for xmas! It is my first cutter and i love it =) I already DLed tons of free svgs and extracted them to their own folders etc. Trying to keep organized I made several folders in SSDE but I cant seem to move any files into them. When I import the files go right to My Own Designs, ive tried dragging, importing while being in the selected folder but the files always end up in my own designs. I would also like to edit the keywords but I cant seem to figure that out. Any ideas?

**OK I just moved some files that were in the recently downloaded folder by dragging. That worked fine, So im not sure why the SVGs I imported wont move.
You can't save svg files in your library. SS will only load studio files into the library. If you want your svg files to show up in your library, open them up in SS and then save them as a .studio file and then you can put them into the library. Hope that help...
Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #336
Rubber Obsessor

Has anyone had trouble with the Silhouette website? Boy I sure have! First when all cut files were 1/2 price I had about 50 files on my wishlist and I clicked buy all on my list and poof they vanished? No help or recovery from Silhouette! Next people tried to give me gifts from their website! Very complicated to get and Silhouette does not email them to the recipient! Today I am trying to renew my subscription to cut files and it will not let me use gift code! I emailed them no reply! Subscription runs out today so I will lose my money left in there if I cannot a get this to work! Anyone else with problems?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #337
Die Cut Diva

Sorry you are having such a bad time with Silhouette .

I was told by their customer service that I had to access the Silhouette on-line store FROM THE SILHOUETTE SOFTWARE or things did not work properly.

Open your Silhouette program and on the left side close to the bottom is a link to the on-line store. It is a blue circle icon with an S in the center
Click on that and then log in.

According to the Silhouette web site You do not lose your subscription credits
for 60 days after they expire. I copied this from the Silhouette site
ROLL-OVER
"If you don't use your monthly credits by the end of the month, don't worry- we'll keep track of them for you. You have 60 days to use your credits from the time you receive them so you don't have to worry about deadlines, just downloads."

I have never used a gift card to renew my subscription so I can't reply to that.

This is how I renewed yesterday.
I opened my Silhouette program and click on the link to the on-line store.
I logged in and then at the top I clicked where it says the date my subscription expires. It gave me a choice to renew or upgrade to a larger subscription.
I chose " renew".
Then it gave me a choice to pay monthly or annually. I took annually as it was cheaper.
In the Promotion code box I typed " NEWYEAR" all caps for the 20% discount and clicked "apply" .
I followed the other on-screen directions and it worked fine

I also got an additional discount when it finalized because I paid for it for a full year .

Hope this helps
Barbara
~LN likes this post.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #338
Die Cut Diva

I got a Cameo for Christmas, and I started simply so I had no problem with the software so far,
but when I went to cut a piece of cardstock the mat slipped around like crazy. It looked like a Kindergartner cut it. The blue lever was down too, so I don't know it was maybe the setting?
Help, I have so much hope for this machine!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #339
Die Cut Diva

OK never mind! I played a little more and got it!
I'm going to love this machine, but I'm going to take it slow.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #340
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewinkle View Post
I got a Cameo for Christmas, and I started simply so I had no problem with the software so far,
but when I went to cut a piece of cardstock the mat slipped around like crazy. It looked like a Kindergartner cut it. The blue lever was down too, so I don't know it was maybe the setting?
I also did this when I had just gotten my Cameo and you may have done as I did.
The instruction booklet is not clear .

I was using 8 & 1/2" x 11" paper and misunderstood the directions and thought I should move the white rollers on the main metal roller shaft for narrower paper.

When It started to cut the mat went wonky and katy corner BECAUSE the white roller on the right side were trying to advance the mat by rolling over the sticky part . The left white roller was on the edge of the mat with no adhesive

If you look the " edges of the mat" where the white rollers advance the mat they do NOT have adhesive .

The instruction booklet doesn't specify you only change the white roller width for media that doesn't use the mat

Hope this helps
Mjensen602 likes this post.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #341
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
and UKScrappers
There is also this website Accueil - CRAFTY, le Craft Robo - it is in french, but you can get the idea. They show one example of what the file is, then the ones that follow it say .GSD or .studio, etc and those are the different types of files that correspond to the example. I think one time I used chrome and it asked if you wanted to translate the page.

Anyways, I just got a Cameo for christmas and love it
Mjensen602, sprtchick and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #342
Mad Swapper

radiantloveart, thanks for that link. I've just added it to my favourites
Old 12-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #343
Cardstock Collector

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, newbie.

I received a Silhouette for Christmas. Would it be best for me to install on my Windows 8 Pro or on my Mac software? Any suggestions very much appreciated!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #344
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

Sub
Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #345
Mad Swapper

I have an original Silhouette, and it has run fine on Windows 8 for the last year, and now runs fine on the updated 8.1. Not a MAC user, so can't comment on that
Scrapdiva303 likes this post.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #346
Proud Fan Club Member

I am running the Silhouette Studio software on my MAC with OS 10.6.8 and works great. I purchased the Portrait a few months back and have used it several times without any problems. Hope this helps along with the other comments.
LMstamps and Scrapdiva303 like this post.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #347
Rubber Obsessor

Weird! My silhouette is printng and cutting on printer paper accurately, but not on cardstck. This happened before, but I don't remember how I fixed it.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #348
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona2025 View Post
Weird! My silhouette is printng and cutting on printer paper accurately, but not on cardstck. This happened before, but I don't remember how I fixed it.
What is your blade depth set at? It looks to me like the blade is not coming down far enough to cut anything thicker than copy paper.

I generally set my blade at # 3, but a couple of days ago I was cutting some Gina K CS and it did not cut all the way through. It is a newer blade so I didn't think that was the problem. I set the blade at #5 and it cut fine.

I generally do a "test cut" so I don't waste CS if it is not set properly

Hope this helps
Old 12-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #349
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewinkle View Post

Yep! I did it too! I have nice cut marks on my mat...lol live and learn! but it sure is fun!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #350
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
What is your blade depth set at? It looks to me like the blade is not coming down far enough to cut anything thicker than copy paper.

I generally set my blade at # 3, but a couple of days ago I was cutting some Gina K CS and it did not cut all the way through. It is a newer blade so I didn't think that was the problem. I set the blade at #5 and it cut fine.

I generally do a "test cut" so I don't waste CS if it is not set properly

Hope this helps
My blade is set on 4. It's cutting all the way through, but its off by a half an inch. It's weird because it's perfect on the printer paper.

Maybe it's because I design all my files at work and then do my cutting at home on a different laptop, but I have always done that.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #351
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
My blade is set on 4. It's cutting all the way through, but its off by a half an inch. It's weird because it's perfect on the printer paper.

Maybe it's because I design all my files at work and then do my cutting at home on a different laptop, but I have always done that.
OK Now that looks like a registration mark issue

That is strange that it is reading the registration marks correctly on printer paper but not on card stock.

Did you go to the Silhouette America site and be sure you have the latest update for your machine?
The latest version is 2.8.16. It was released in August, so if your machine was build before August it may have an old version of the software.

You can update it (free) at Silhouette America in the FAQ location:
Here is a link IF it works
Silhouette America - Software Downloads - Silhouette Studio

If these ideas don't work contact Silhouette America. They are wonderful at helping find solutions

HTH
Old 12-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #352
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Half an inch is about the amount that is the difference between Load Mat and Load Media on the display on the machine. Make sure you have Load Mat selected when you feed your mat into the machine. This may have nothing to do with your problem but is an easy fix if it does!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #353
Die Cut Diva

I found this on the Silhouette trouble shooting site: It defines Alignment problems and solutions

Silhouette America - FAQ - Silhouette Troubleshooting - Silhouette Hardware Issues - Registration mark reading OR print & cut misalignment issue

HTH

Barbara
Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #354
Rubber Obsessor

Default Cut file instructions

Quote:
None of the cut files come with assembly directions . Search Youtube for ideas on how to assemble punch or die cut flowers . There are a lot of videos on the topic
In the Silhouette online store click on the picture of the design you want or have. A larger picture and info on designer and designer comes up. Many times on that page there will be a link to a tutorial for the design. Some will be on the designer's blog or have a YouTube link.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #355
Rubber Obsessor

Cameo seems to love Recollections card stock from Michaels and DCWV paper. When cutting detailed images reduce your blade depth, slow your speed down to 2, use a sticky newer mat (save one just for fussy cuts!) and CUT TWICE. These were posted by Lori Whitlock and Samantha Walker on one of their blogs.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #356
Rubber Obsessor

Another thing I use a lot to keep your paper in place on an older cutting mat... Is blue painters tape. It works great but be sure it is adhered well. Replace tape when it seems to curl up.
Another idea I use is to elevate my Cameo on a wire storage rack. You can then store paper, tools and others things under it.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #357
Glitter Queen

The silhouette cameo seems to be a hot item in the crafting world right now. I see its on massdrop for $249 with an extra bundle which includes an extra mat, 3 tools, 25 gift card for silh online store, designer edition software which is valued at $50 (can be used to convert SVG files) and FREE shipping in the US. After researching this item i think this is the best deal to date. I'd love to hear your comments on pricing as im sure they were just on sale with the holiday season just passing. If you are interested in purchasing one head on over to massdrop.com to check it out. All you have to do is enter an email address and you are logged in.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cameo-bundle

I appreciate all feedback on this cool die cut machine

Natasha
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #358
Die Cut Diva

This looks like a very good price.
However, I have not heard of this company so my concern is who has purchased from them and what was your experience?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #359
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
This looks like a very good price.
However, I have not heard of this company so my concern is who has purchased from them and what was your experience?
From reviews I've read - although I didn't do too much research on them - they seem to be a reputable company. The problem is, in order to get their lowest price they have to reach a certain number of orders - hence the name "mass drop" (mass purchase - drop shipped). In order to get the deal mentioned in the previous post, at least 25 people need to buy. It goes on a scale - the more people buy before the closing date, the bigger the discounts. I just checked and right now the price is still at 269.99. It may still be a better deal, however, with all the extras they are throwing in.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #360
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to leggycountrygirl

I bought mine from hsn.com and got more freebies and lower price last May for my birthday.