Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree201Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #281
Embossing Fanatic

Leona - Many of the 3D flower files have some basic instructions that you can access from your library in the Studio software. If you right-click on the image in your library and then click "Show Properties", there may be instructions in the message box that appears below. Sometimes this will only include a link to the designer's website where they will have a tutorial and sometimes there will be nothing. If the box is empty, I'd recommend going back to the Online Store and looking up your design...sometimes the link to the designer's tutorial is in the description in the store.

I have the designer edition of Studio and love it, but you can certainly get by without it if you are happy with the editing you can do already...the free version is a great program by itself. If you start to become interested in designing your own shapes, some of the tools unlocked in the DE can be really helpful and fun to play with. And it allows you open SVGs with no extra steps, which was a plus for me too.

Hope this helps!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #282
Stampin' Fool

It would be nice if the assembly instructions were with the cut file, wouldn't it?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #283
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona2025 View Post
I figured out what I was doing wrong. I feel so simple, but I was loading the mat wrong. Another question. I have bought a bunch of 3d flower cutfiles from the silhouette store, but there are no assembly instructions? Are there tutorials I'm missing?
None of the cut files come with assembly directions . Search Youtube for ideas on how to assemble punch or die cut flowers . There are a lot of videos on the topic
Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #284
Matboard Maniac

I recently purchased the Chomas Creations pen adapter so that I can write with my Silhouette Cameo and tried it for the first time today. It worked very well using a pink glitter pen to address an envelope.
Mikaela's 4th Birthday by tweedcurtain - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I made a pop-up castle using a cut file from the online store for the inside of the card. You can see it here:
Mikaela's 4th Birthday Inner Pop Up by tweedcurtain - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

More info here: Tweedcurtain Productions: Cameo Castle and Chomas Inked Envelope

Charmaine
sherry107 likes this post.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #285
Pearl-ExPert

tweedcurtain- Your creations are so adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Junky View Post
It would be nice if the assembly instructions were with the cut file, wouldn't it?
In the olden days (five years ago, lol) when Wishblade and the original Silhouette reigned supreme the designers use to create instructions in the file. They just added a simple text box and wrote down the steps for the file. Very simple and easy. I started doing that with my files. I still do that with my files. I always make little notes. It's very easy to delete or move the instructions so you don't accidentally cut them.

Since the Cameo came out and the store has been revamped you no longer see instructions with the files. It's a shame because it was so much easier back then.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #286
Matboard Maniac

Thanks, DeeAnn! I have recently started doing that, too (adding notes right in a file in a textbox) with info on where I got an image or what font I used if I deconstruct text and it gets treated like a graphic instead of text. Very handy!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #287
Rubber Obsessor

Sooo I cut my mat in half and sliced off the left hand border
ladyofcards likes this post.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #288
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Sooo I cut my mat in half and sliced off the left hand border
Sorry to hear that. Try packing tape on the backside of the mat and see if it is sturdy enough to repair it.

Charmaine
Old 11-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #289
Rubber Obsessor

I tried to stop it but it was too late. It didn't cut completely in two and I can still load it easily. I had to cut off the border. Does anyone purchase Subcscriptions from Silhouetto America?

I was thinking about it because I have already used like $30 in images, but I think it's because it's new and exciting. I'm very good with editing files and cutting them out. I've done that serveral times.

I just notice my account balance is getting low there.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #290
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I tried to stop it but it was too late. It didn't cut completely in two and I can still load it easily. I had to cut off the border. Does anyone purchase Subcscriptions from Silhouetto America?

I was thinking about it because I have already used like $30 in images, but I think it's because it's new and exciting. I'm very good with editing files and cutting them out. I've done that serveral times.

I bought a subscription when they had a sale last December. I am happy I bought it because the first year can get expensive. I wanted to try different type image files

"IF" they offer the sale on the subscription again I will buy it . It is charged once a month on my CC.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #291
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I am so sorry about your mat. I think the Cameo mats are so flimsy. Don't beat yourself up to hard. I have been using Cricut mats with no problem. I do own a Cricut though. With the Cricut mats you get two mats cheaper than the cost of one Cameo mat.

No, I don't have a subscription. I still have the gift card amount I got when I bought a Silhouette SD several years ago. I no longer have the SD when I upgraded to a Cameo. I have the Cameo gift card money too. I have money in my account from six years ago. I don't think I need a subscription, lol. I spend five dollars a year at the Silhouette store.

I do design my own files and convert images I find on the net. I am a pro at it now.

sprtchick likes this post.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #292
Cardstock Collector

Default So frustrated

I've had my Cameo for about a month and I think I've gotten maybe one decent cardstock cut out of it. I have tried every conceivable setting; cleaned the blade, cleaned the mat and still it drags and rips every time. This weekend alone I think I've ruined about 20 pieces of 12 x 12. Most of my cardstock is Bazzil. This machine should be so useful but right now I feel like it's a piece of cr*p!
On top of that, try as I might, I have been unable to figure out how to move the rollers so that at least if I'm going to keep ruining paper, it can be 8 1/2 x 11. There is no explanation in the user manual or on the Silhouette website - does anyone know the trick to moving the rollers?
Thanks in advance
Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #293
My Pinkie is Inkie in Boxertown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseDG View Post
I've had my Cameo for about a month and I think I've gotten maybe one decent cardstock cut out of it. I have tried every conceivable setting; cleaned the blade, cleaned the mat and still it drags and rips every time. This weekend alone I think I've ruined about 20 pieces of 12 x 12. Most of my cardstock is Bazzil. This machine should be so useful but right now I feel like it's a piece of cr*p!
On top of that, try as I might, I have been unable to figure out how to move the rollers so that at least if I'm going to keep ruining paper, it can be 8 1/2 x 11. There is no explanation in the user manual or on the Silhouette website - does anyone know the trick to moving the rollers?
Thanks in advance
My rollers were very hard to move. I took a rubber glove to turn it with and it did not budge for me. My husband finally got it to move. I cannot move the roller myself. I was hoping it would get easier to move, but it hasn't.

I have had a lot of the same problems you are experiencing. I cut at a lower speed which helps some. I have found the smaller the image is, the harder it is to get a good cut.

I design for
Squigglefly, Mark's Finest Paper Senior Design team, Speedy Fox and Friends and Classy Cards N Such.

Join me for the Speedy TV Inspiration Challenge.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog
Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #294
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I bought a subscription when they had a sale last December. I am happy I bought it because the first year can get expensive. I wanted to try different type image files

"IF" they offer the sale on the subscription again I will buy it . It is charged once a month on my CC.
I used the code "Surprise" yesterday for 20% off my subscription price. I don't know when the code expires. Subscriptions are better than they used to be in that you don't have to keep them for a whole year. They can now be canceled after 3 paid months.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #295
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks in advance
Bazzill is a tough one to cut on the Cameo...it's more fibrous and snags quite a bit on tight turns. I usually don't use it because of this, but when I do I turn the speed all the way down to 1 with a blade setting of 5 or 6. From there, you can probably play with the thickness setting a little to find something that works for you.

I had a tough time moving my rollers at first, but they seem to be easier to move now. The hardest part really is getting a good grip. Silhouette has a video on Youtube that may help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPEg8WJzhrM
Old 11-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #296
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Thanks in advance
You may want to contact Silhouette and tell them what is happening. They may have some ideas as to what may be the cause of the problem(s). If it can't be solved, they usually stand behind their products and will work with you to get things right.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #297
Cardstock Collector

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am so impatient, I was in Michaels today and saw they had Silhouette blades (didn't know they carried them), so I bought one & am going to give it a go.
~LN likes this post.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #298
Rubber Obsessor

I'm loving my silhouette. I wish I had seen the code before I subscribed. I have used up the 35$ download that came with my machine. I've wanted every shape. Can the silhouette cut handmade fiber papers?

I went into Jerry's Artarama today and they had some beautiful papers and I bought a few. I want to make flowers with.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #299
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I'm loving my silhouette. I wish I had seen the code before I subscribed. I have used up the 35$ download that came with my machine. I've wanted every shape. Can the silhouette cut handmade fiber papers?

I went into Jerry's Artarama today and they had some beautiful papers and I bought a few. I want to make flowers with.
They don't do well with really fibrous papers...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #300
Rubber Obsessor

Does any one have awareness of a great Cameo deal going on during Black Friday? I am wanting to jumping into a purchase, and I saw several on Overstock.com, but I don't want to hear my DH complaining of me spending $300 or more on one item. He barely buys anything for himself, so I can't use that argument against him.
want2craft likes this post.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #301
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoilif View Post
Does any one have awareness of a great Cameo deal going on during Black Friday? I am wanting to jumping into a purchase, and I saw several on Overstock.com, but I don't want to hear my DH complaining of me spending $300 or more on one item. He barely buys anything for himself, so I can't use that argument against him.
Not sure if this is a great price, but Michaels will have them for $229.99 on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Michael's Black Friday Ad Scan for 2013 - Black Friday @ GottaDeal.com
Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #302
Die Cut Diva

I can't speak for this year's prices, but last year $229 was the best price I saw but it had quite a few free extras with that price. If I remember correctly it had the cover , and an extra $25 gift card to use in the Silhouette store . I think one also came with the Designer Edition at no extra charge . I think Overstock .com had the best prices last year
Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #303
Mad Swapper

I just want to make some comments about cutting Bazzill with your Cameo. I cut it all the time and the only time I really have a problem with it is when I try to cut images, like a sentiment, that is very tiny.....then I usually choose a cardstock that is less fibrous. One thing you may want to try is using your heat gun to "dry" the paper. I live in FL and it can be very humid here at times and that seems to make the cuts a lot smoother! The Bazzill that I use the most, and it cuts beautifully, is the "smooth white" that I purchase from HSN. If you visit my blog, you can see a lot of projects where I've used Bazzill! The link to my blog is in my signature!
ceramicat1 likes this post.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #304
Rubber Obsessor

Barbara and Local Honey thanks for the tips. So far it appears Overstock has the best bundle deal, but I will keep an eye for next week. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #305
Die Cut Diva

My Cameo is my saving grace this year for Christmas cards, I am a procrastinator and I am extremely busy at work, neither help me get my cards out in time, but today, I have be using my Cameo and I am able to make some beautiful cards, using glittery Christmas card, all I need to do is add a stamped greeting and maybe a bit of bedazzle and I am good to go, this has taken such a weight off my shoulders, and I can focus on my extra special cards that will take more time and a few 3D projects! happy happy happy dance in Jukie's house today
sprtchick and ceramicat1 like this post.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #306
Cardstock Collector

Default Don't move roller bars and still cut 8 1/2 x 11 paper

Quote:
Thanks in advance
You can set your paper size to be different than your mat size in the Designer Edition of Studio. I usually don't even do that, I just make sure the images I am cutting are in the space that will be occupied by the 8 1/2 x 11 paper on the 12 x 12 mat. I just align the top left corner of the paper with the top left corner of the mat grid. You do need to set the paper size to 8 1/2 x 11 if you are doing a print and cut because you need to make sure the images are within the area bounded by the registration marks. You can still have the mat size set to 12 x 12 even in that case. The Cameo will cut based on the registration marks for the paper size, not based on mat size. This saves having to move your roller bars. I only move mine for vinyl and now for the new stamp cutting mat.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #307
Die Cut Diva

I never move the rollers except for when I cut vinyl . However I make sure the white rollers on "both sides" are connecting with the mat as I insert it . All the rollers do is advance the mat they have nothing to do with the paper size you are using . The reason you need to adjust the rollers for Vinyl is it is often 6"-9" or 12" wide and the rollers are set to 13" apart for the standard mat size

I "show " the mat so I can see where to put my images on any size paper including scraps .

Open your Silhouette software.
There is a menu across the top
On the far right side you will see 4 icons. One is a grid in blue: One has 3 corner marks ; One has a pencil and one is a black square with a red square inside of it .

Click on the black square with the red square inside of it

You will get a side bar ( on the right) that says "Page" at the top

Go down about 3/4 's of the way and you will see "Reveal Cutting mat" Move the slider to the right until you can clearly see the grid on the mat on your screen. The grid is in 1" increments so you can use any size paper or scrap.

I often use small pieces of card stock and just count the number if squares on the grid so i know where to place my image on the screen mat

As far as cutting I generally use 1 or 2 for my cutting speed , especially for intricate designs .

When I start a piece of card stock that I have not used before I always use the "TEST CUT "feature . It is located on the " Silhouette Cut setting page" and that comes up when you click on the " pencil" icon. It appears in a rectangle "above" the actual cut button .

It only cuts a tiny square that doesn't interfere with the image I want to cut. If the test cut doesn't come out correctly then I alter my blade depth or cutting speed or both .

Alter the blade depth if the cut did not cut through or if it cut too deeply into the mat. All cuts will leave some marks on your mat but it should not gouge it .

Alter the cutting speed to a lower speed if it is an intricate design and it is tearing or skipping .

Some paper is more fibrous and doesn't cut well. I had some cheap black CS that caused a huge mess. The fibers imbedded into my mat and would not come off.

Some SU CS ,depending on the color cuts fine . Gina K's CS cuts well and most Bazzill that i buy and Hobby lobby cuts fine too. There is a thread on which card stock works well with a Silhouette or other electronic cutter .

I hope this helps

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 11-27-2013 at 08:31 PM..
Mjensen602, sprtchick, sherry107 and 2 others like this post.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #308
Cardstock Collector

Default Barbara is right!

I too put scraps all over my mat and just eyeball it by the grid as well. Thanks Barbara for giving a more complete explanation than I did! The more you use your Cameo, the more you learn to "game" the system and make it work for you. It just takes a little time, and a bit of research online to find easier ways to do things.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #309
Die Cut Diva

Cutting Vinyl does not require a mat . So if you need to move your rollers to use other material there is a blue/turquoise lever on the right side above the metal roller. Push that lever down and then you can move the white rollers by twisting and sliding them . They sort of snap into a grove in the metal roller bar and it is a tight fit . I used a little rubber needle gripper to hold the rollers while I turned them.

Be sure to push the blue/turquoise lever back up after you finish moving the white roller sections so the big metal roller is locked into place.

Another reason NOT to change the width of the white rollers when you are using paper that is "smaller" than 12" x 12" is the roller will try to ride over the sticky part of the mat and slip or advance at a crooked angle .

I learned this the hard way
I forgot to move the rollers back after I cut vinyl and the entire mat went wonky when I tried to cut an image from paper. I quickly paused the job and hit enter to back the mat out of the machine.

There is no adhesive on the very outer edges of the mat where the rollers advances the mat
sprtchick, ceramicat1 and ~LN like this post.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #310
Insane Embellisher

I just picked up the Cameo at Michael's for my Christmas! Can't wait to get started,
sprtchick and ceramicat1 like this post.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #311
Gabfest Goddess

I picked up the cameo as well at Michaels over the weekend. Can't wait to use it!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Old 12-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #312
Rubber Obsessor

There is a Black Friday Special on Cameos & Portraits - great bundles until December 08 - Silhouette Online store

http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/black

Last edited by Iriseyes; 12-04-2013 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: wrong link
Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #313
Inking Addict

If you are ordering a Cameo via Silhouette website you should use a special blogger's code for a bigger discount! One is available at loriwhitlock.com. The deal you get includes lots more items including the Designer Edition of the Studio software!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #314
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't tried to cut vinyl with my Cameo, but I have never moved the rollers for different paper sizes, I always use the 12 x 12 or 12 x 24 mats. I also use the Cricut mats in my Cameo. I think every machine varies just a little bit. For mine, I seem to get a better cut with the cricut mats.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
Old 12-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #315
Inking Addict

I have a Silhouette Portrait...I absolutely love it....Trying to decide if I should purchase the Cameo....

What do you ladies think.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #316
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofcards View Post
If you are ordering a Cameo via Silhouette website you should use a special blogger's code for a bigger discount! One is available at loriwhitlock.com. The deal you get includes lots more items including the Designer Edition of the Studio software!
Oh, thanks, I forgot that! the one I saw was at Jessica Sprague's blog - use "JESSICA" the code for an awesome Cameo deal.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #317
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyabrown View Post
I have a Silhouette Portrait...I absolutely love it....Trying to decide if I should purchase the Cameo....

What do you ladies think.
It really depends what size you need to cut. If you don't cut anything larger than what the portrait can cut I wouldn't buy a Cameo. I have a cameo, and I don't think I've ever cut anything 12x12
Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #318
Inking Addict

Great News!!!! The Lord blessed me and I won a Silhouette Cameo!!! Omg....I am super super excited!!!!

I entered a Black Friday drawing at Utrecht here in savannah !!!!

So super excited!!!!
sprtchick, sherry107 and ladyofcards like this post.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #319
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my gosh! Big Congratulations to you Toya!

Old 12-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #320
Matboard Maniac

My first vinyl project using my Silhouette Cameo.
Jingle all the way

I had no plans to get into vinyl, but could not resist this! I *did* stamp the background paper. Paper is still my first love!

Charmaine