Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #241
Matboard Maniac

Default Free Studio File

I created a free Studio file for labels for the cap of Distress Stain and Paint bottles. Visit my blog if you would like to get it. No more tedious punching or cutting! Tweedcurtain Productions: I {HEART} MY CAMEO!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
kazooMI likes this post.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #242
Matboard Maniac

??? I am trying to decide between Studio Designer Edition or Make the Cut. It sounds like MTC may be a little easier -since I can be techie challenged! Any thoughts much appreciated!!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #243
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry107 View Post
??? I am trying to decide between Studio Designer Edition or Make the Cut. It sounds like MTC may be a little easier -since I can be techie challenged! Any thoughts much appreciated!!
I personally don't think that MTC is easier than SSDE, but it is much more versatile. There is a fantastic forum at MTC with a lot of people willing to help and an excellent yahoo group with tutorials (beginner up to advanced). Also, if you ever decide to go to a different machine (like a Zing) then you won't have to buy any other software. SSDE only works with their machines.

SSDE is very easy to learn and quite intuitive I found. They have really cute files and offer at least one free file a week. If you already use and like SS and plan on staying with a Silhouette machine, then its probably worth it, especially as you said, you are "techie challenged".
sherry107 likes this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #244
Proud Fan Club Member

What are people's thoughts on Cameo V portrait…. I know cameo can cut 12" whereas the portrait can only cut 8"…. I have seen on some message boards people talking about the fact that there printer is only 8" so they only want their silhouette to be that big… what does a printer have to do with anything? You can "print" with the silhouette bc you can use the markers instead of blade, ostensibly to make patterns etc…. any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #245
Matboard Maniac

I haven't begun to use my Silhouette Portrait for everything it can do, but I love it! And I only got the Portrait because I do smaller paper crafting items & don't need the 12 inch. My daughter in law does a lot of vinyl cutting & loves her 12" Cameo.
People use their printers with the print and cut files you can do with Silhouette. You print things from your printer & cut them with the Silhouette. I haven't tried those yet.
LMstamps likes this post.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #246
Proud Fan Club Member

AHHHH, i get it! thanks so much Cookie!!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #247
Stampin' Fool

The print and cut feature is actually pretty cool. Where you would normally have to do a lot of fussy cutting around some items, the Cameo does it nice and close for you without a white border around the object.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #248
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to grateful2bsaved

I'm going to start reading this thread from the beginning, since I think I will finally take my Silhouette out of its box this weekend.
sprtchick, ceramicat1, sewflake and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #249
Die Cut Diva

I bought this adhesive black vinyl from Amazon. It has very good reviews with an electronic cutting machine . Only used it once but I am pleased with it .
I bought the matte finish, but if you can use Glossy it costs a little less. You get 12" wide roll by 20 FT. 20 Feet will go a long way for my uses.

Amazon.com: 12" x 20 ft Roll of Matte Black Permanent Adhesive-Backed Vinyl for Craft Cutters, Punches and Vinyl Sign Cutters ? Vinyl Ease V0403: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #250
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeCards View Post
What are people's thoughts on Cameo V portrait…. I know cameo can cut 12" whereas the portrait can only cut 8"…. I have seen on some message boards people talking about the fact that there printer is only 8" so they only want their silhouette to be that big… what does a printer have to do with anything? You can "print" with the silhouette bc you can use the markers instead of blade, ostensibly to make patterns etc…. any thoughts would be appreciated!

I was going to get the Portrait, but got a good deal on the Cameo so went with that, and now I am glad I did. I don't do scrapbooking (not that you would think that with the amount of scrapbooking products I have) but I have been able to make some pretty cool 3 D projects that I would not have been able to do on a Portrait, include a Jukebox.

It's down to personal choice, finances etc, as they both do the same things, the portrait is just smaller.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #251
Die Cut Diva

I bought the Cameo 12" because the Portrait is only 8" wide and I would have needed to trim 1/2" off every piece of paper or card stock I used.
Paper and card stock are 8 & 1/2" wide
Old 10-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #252
Proud Fan Club Member

I have had my Cameo (12") for over a year now, and couldn't be happier with it. After owning a 6x12" Cricut I was ready for a bigger format.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #253
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I bought the Cameo 12" because the Portrait is only 8" wide and I would have needed to trim 1/2" off every piece of paper or card stock I used.
Paper and card stock are 8 & 1/2" wide
The cutting area is 8" but the machine accepts 8 1/2 wide paper so you wouldn't need to trim your paper.
LMstamps likes this post.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #254
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofcards View Post
Here is a link I got when I googled your question. I do not have Windows computer so do not know if it works.
Cat Scrap Fever: How to "Export" Silhouette Studio Files to SVG files
I just noticed this link. I can vouch that the tutorial works 100%. I wrote the tutorial and its on my blog.
kinderschulemom likes this post.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #255
Rubber Obsessor

I just ordered my Cameo. I have never used a die cutting machine. I'm very tech savy. I work in IT. I can't wait to get it. I have very shaky hands and always have. Holding scissors and cutting is hard for me. Hopefully I will be posting some things soon!
sprtchick and LMstamps like this post.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #256
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
The cutting area is 8" but the machine accepts 8 1/2 wide paper so you wouldn't need to trim your paper.
Thank you for pointing this out! I thought because it has an 8" cutting area it would only take 8" wide paper.

I have a Grand Caliber manual die cutting machine with an 8" opening and I have to trim EVERY piece of CS to fit into the slot. It is a nuisance !
Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #257
Die Cut Diva

I just got a newsletter from Silhouette and they now have " Light hold" cutting mats for material such as light weight paper that requires a lighter hold .

scroll down to mats
Silhouette America - My country

Unlike many other companies when people complain about something to Silhouette they find a way to correct the problem.
I am impressed with the Silhouette company.
leggycountrygirl and sprtchick like this post.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #258
Glitter Queen

So excited ! My hubby got me a cameo for my birthday and it is ordered! I've never had an electric die cutter - used to do a lot of graphic design work in Photoshop but not with illustrator. My question is - how has having one impacted your card making/ stamping? Anything a must have i need before it gets here? I am most worried about where to put it - lol. How much space do i need to carve out for it? Is it something that needs to be plugged in all the time , or is it easy to set up when needed? I just have a cheap printer - actually got rid of my fancy canon one due to cost of ink as i never used it. Do you need a fancy printer? Thanks so much - just excited and had to tell someone that did not give me a deer in the headlights response - ha .
sprtchick and LMstamps like this post.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #259
Cardstock Collector

I have a Silhouette SD and bought the new blade system. am having trouble sometimes with very intricate cuts especially at smaller sizes for cards. Is the Cameo better at cutting these types of images? Thank you!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #260
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadozknit View Post
So excited ! My hubby got me a cameo for my birthday and it is ordered! I've never had an electric die cutter - used to do a lot of graphic design work in Photoshop but not with illustrator. My question is - how has having one impacted your card making/ stamping? Anything a must have i need before it gets here? I am most worried about where to put it - lol. How much space do i need to carve out for it? Is it something that needs to be plugged in all the time , or is it easy to set up when needed? I just have a cheap printer - actually got rid of my fancy canon one due to cost of ink as i never used it. Do you need a fancy printer? Thanks so much - just excited and had to tell someone that did not give me a deer in the headlights response - ha .
You can download the software and become familiar with the icons and what you can do before your machine comes. You just can't cut things until you get your machine.

Silhouette America - Software Downloads

Also here is the manual

http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/med...-studio_v5.pdf

Have fun!!
sherry107, ~LN and lisadozknit like this post.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #261
Glitter Queen

Thanks so much Barbara!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
You can download the software and become familiar with the icons and what you can do before your machine comes. You just can't cut things until you get your machine.

Silhouette America - Software Downloads

Also here is the manual

http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/med...-studio_v5.pdf

Have fun!!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #262
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveRibbons View Post
I have a Silhouette SD and bought the new blade system. am having trouble sometimes with very intricate cuts especially at smaller sizes for cards. Is the Cameo better at cutting these types of images? Thank you!
Is the new blade system the same as the Cameo's blade?

I have an older Silhouette (pre SD) but I haven't switched out the cutting blade. With my Cameo, slowing the cutting speed down seems to help with intricate cuts. Making sure the blade is clean and making sure the blade is not damaged is also important.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.”
― Spider Robinson
Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #263
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
My question is - how has having one impacted your card making/ stamping? Anything a must have i need before it gets here? I am most worried about where to put it - lol. How much space do i need to carve out for it? Is it something that needs to be plugged in all the time , or is it easy to set up when needed? I just have a cheap printer - actually got rid of my fancy canon one due to cost of ink as i never used it. Do you need a fancy printer?
Congratulations - you will love it. I can tell you a big way this has impacted my card making/stamping. I no longer buy dies for my Cuttlebug! Almost every die I see now I think - I can make that in Studio. I have even used my Cameo to make incremental offsets of some of my Nestabilities dies. My favourite thing to do with it is to make cut files for mats for my stamped images. You can see a sample of that in the latest card on my blog, the medallion and lace border have blue mats of cardstock framing them. I stamped and scanned the images and then traced and offset in Studio to create the mats. You don't need a fancy printer for the print and cut feature, but you should have one that scans so you can do that mat making that I like so much.

I have mine set up and plugged in all the time now (small footprint, maybe two feet by 10 inches), but when I first got it I was pulling it out whenever I wanted to cut something and it was not that big a deal. It is not overly heavy.

I quickly purchased a spare mat. When doing large projects it is nice to be able to load and cut a second mat while "weeding" (removing bits) on the first one. A spatula or old credit card is helpful for removing paper from the mats.

TIPS: Before using your mat for the first time - destick it a bit by pressing against your clothes to tone down the stickiness a bit. When you go to load the mat in the machine, make sure the display on the machine is reading Load Mat and NOT Load Media. I cut into my mat accidentally by learning that one the hard way! Before buying the Designer Edition software or a subscription for the online Silhouette store, check around for codes and discounts. You rarely need to pay full price.

ENJOY!

Charmaine
sprtchick and lisadozknit like this post.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #264
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Congrats! Enjoy it!

I'd suggest keeping it plugged in if you are going to use it quite a bit. The Cameo itself isn't big but you need to make sure there is enough room in front of it and behind it for the mat to move while it works.

I didn't have a printer till a very long time! Used to only cut files or if there was printing to be done, I'd get it printed at a friend's place. Its super easy to print-and-cut with the registration marks! So no need for a fancy printer.

About how it has impacted my cardmaking, I have completely moved to it and given up using my Cuttlebug! With a lot of my favorite companies offering cutting files for stamps, I haven't used traditional dies in a loong time!
sprtchick and lisadozknit like this post.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #265
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Happy Birthday & Big Congrats! I hope your Cameo brings you lots of enjoyment.

I love to design digitally. The first time I ever saw an electronic cutter I had to have one to go with my design work. It turned out to be a complete obsession. I spent $500 on my first cutter which was a Wishblade. That was the early generation of the Cameo.

I have a Cameo now I can still say it's an important tool to me to go with my digital design work. If you have Photoshop knowledge then you will be fine with Illustrator. Don't be too intimidated. Of course the first time I made a vector design it took me three days and I cried from frustration. Now, I can design an intricate cut in one hour.

Yes, it has changed my cardmaking. I use to be a digital designer/cross stitcher who had a Rubbermaid container that held her craft supplies to now having a large art studio. I am actually going back tot he Rubbermaid container because I am growing in different directions with my work now.

I don't have an expensive printer. I have a really nice Epson I paid $60 for. I love her to pieces. The ink cartridges are good in price. A nice thing about the Epson you can do a Continuous Ink System with it. I had a Canon too but traded up for an Epson.

I forgot what the Cameo came with. Did yours come with a spatula? That is a must have. This tool is to remove the paper from the mat. You don't need the Silhouette branded spatula. I think the art palette and cake palette knives are better.

You will want a dental pick also to remove delicate items from your mat. It's also a must have to remove all the tiny pieces from your cuts, especially the doily type cuts.

Baby wipes to clean your mat. An old gift card to scrape your mat clean. Quilt basting spray to resticky your mats. Lots of great tutorials for resticking your mats on the Internet.

Yes, you should have your Cameo out at all times if you can. I do think it can be a bit of a space hog because it's long. I am also one of those people that prefer smaller tools over larger ones. The Cameo also will replace a lot of tools in your craft area too. You will gain a bunch of space. You don't need to have it plugged in all the time. Mine is on a power strip. I just plug the power strip in when I need to use my Cameo.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
lisadozknit likes this post.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #266
Cardstock Collector

Denise thank you for answering my question. I am using the ratchet blade in my SD. I am having trouble with small detailed cuts. The paper looks mashed if that makes sense in some places. I have slowed speed down, double cut is on and I also slowed down the flow of information going to my SD according to the instructions on Kerri Bradford's blog. My blade is clean. I will try cleaning the blade next. I just wonder if I should purchase the Cameo to increase precision but perhaps I just simply want one lol!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #267
Glitter Queen

Heart Thank you!!

Oh thank you ladies!! I appreciate each of you taking the time to write me - so much wonderful info! Exactly what I wanted to know! Charmaine - i was thinking that was one thing i wanted to do & make mats for my dies and stamps! Terrific tips !
Chaitali- thanks! Glad to know i wont need a fancy printer!
Dee Ann- thanks so much! I am glad to know that I am not the only one that disliked illustrator! . I sold my digital scrapbook designs for quite a while until my mom became ill and had to stop. I loved photoshop but illustrator was another story. I ordered the design software for 35$ at overstock because I knew i would want it - lol.
Ok ladies - i think a redo of my craft space is in order & my sewing machine will be moved to accommodate the cameo . Should i bite the bullet and move the printer in also ? Will it be a big pain to have it in the other room or no?
Ok now if i just could make my hubbies deer heads disappear in my craft room ........ Sigh Hugs and again much appreciation for the info!!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #268
Mad Swapper

The space you need for using the machine depends on the card/paper size you are using. Basically you need as much room behind the machine to allow your card/paper size to go all the way through the machine, so if you're using 12x12, you need a good 12" at the back of the machine.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #269
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Oh thank you ladies!! I appreciate each of you taking the time to write me - so much wonderful info! Exactly what I wanted to know! Charmaine - i was thinking that was one thing i wanted to do & make mats for my dies and stamps! Terrific tips !
Chaitali- thanks! Glad to know i wont need a fancy printer!
Dee Ann- thanks so much! I am glad to know that I am not the only one that disliked illustrator! . I sold my digital scrapbook designs for quite a while until my mom became ill and had to stop. I loved photoshop but illustrator was another story. I ordered the design software for 35$ at overstock because I knew i would want it - lol.
Ok ladies - i think a redo of my craft space is in order & my sewing machine will be moved to accommodate the cameo . Should i bite the bullet and move the printer in also ? Will it be a big pain to have it in the other room or no?
Ok now if i just could make my hubbies deer heads disappear in my craft room ........ Sigh Hugs and again much appreciation for the info!!
I would move the printer in with the Cameo. The Print & Cut feature is one of the best features on the Cameo. I made a little dress the other day with a tiny collar. It was my own design with my own digital paper. If I had to cut out that teeny tiny collar by hand I would have been so frustrated. I love my Cameo for detailed print & cuts. I do admit a lot of times I just print out something and fussy cut it, lol.

My computer is in the living room. My Cameo & Printer are in my art studio. It's such a pain to have my machines in one room and my computer in the other. I have to drag my computer in the art studio every time I use my Cameo. Yes, I do think it's a pain having a printer in another room. I am updating to a new system in a few months so I will take my old computer in the art studio for my digital art work.

Definitely make the deer heads disappear, lol.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #270
Compulsive Stamper

Does anyone know where to find your silhoutte files that you purchased on your computer? I also have purchased design for print and cut with black lines ( a tag set with printed designs in black) and want to know how I could change the color of the designs to brown
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #271
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to leggycountrygirl

is there anyone on here who teaches how to use the Silhouette Cameo? The video is just ok and I find a lot on you tube but not very well done videos-
you can contact me directly at info@gwenspaperexpressions.com I bought it for myself for my birthday and am just now getting time to mess with it.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #272
Rubber Obsessor

Default Silhouette Studio Designer Edition

Hi, I just ordered the cameo and was wondering if the Studio designer Edition works with Windows 8? I was thinking of buying a new laptop but can't get one with Windows 7 anymore. Next question...will it work with an iPad? Thanks
Old 11-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #273
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggycountrygirl View Post
is there anyone on here who teaches how to use the Silhouette Cameo? The video is just ok and I find a lot on you tube but not very well done videos-
you can contact me directly at info@gwenspaperexpressions.com I bought it for myself for my birthday and am just now getting time to mess with it.
There are some classes over at 2peas. There is a really great forum of Silhouette girls & guys here- Log In. The forum is called Silhouette Plus but SCS url bot always changes it to LogIn for some crazy reason, lol. You do have to join to see the posts. I can vouch for the site. I have known many of the girls there for a lot of years and they are absolutely wonderful.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #274
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperstamper View Post
Hi, I just ordered the cameo and was wondering if the Studio designer Edition works with Windows 8? I was thinking of buying a new laptop but can't get one with Windows 7 anymore. Next question...will it work with an iPad? Thanks
Yes, SDE works with Windows 8 with no problems. Works with Mac too. Does not work with iPad. There is a rumored app on the way. I wish it was tomorrow. I am an iPad owner.

There is a workaround for iPad users. You can only design and not cut. You will have to buy an app. Here's the video and blog post- Lorrie's Story: Using Silhouette Studio Software on IPAD
I have not tried this so I have no reviews.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #275
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Yes, SDE works with Windows 8 with no problems. Works with Mac too. Does not work with iPad. There is a rumored app on the way. I wish it was tomorrow. I am an iPad owner.

There is a workaround for iPad users. You can only design and not cut. You will have to buy an app. Here's the video and blog post- Lorrie's Story: Using Silhouette Studio Software on IPAD
I have not tried this so I have no reviews.
Thank you so much for the info. I appreciate it.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #276
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholzman View Post
Does anyone know where to find your silhoutte files that you purchased on your computer? I also have purchased design for print and cut with black lines ( a tag set with printed designs in black) and want to know how I could change the color of the designs to brown
You wouldn't necessarily need to know where the file is stored on your computer, but could just change the colour of the line in the SS software before you print it to any colour you want. Just open your design from your library, select the lines you want to change the colour of, then open the Line Colour Window, choose your colour and that will change the colour the lines print (or text if its text you want to change the colour of).

In case you do want to know where your design files are stored on your comupter (good for backup purposes), I did a quick google (since I couldn't find the post I did about it) and here is how you can find all your design files: Backup Studio
uncbballfan likes this post.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #277
Rubber Obsessor

I'm having trouble with the print and cut feature. I tried to put a lot of different images on a single sheet to cut and it cuts outside the lines, but when I try to cut each individually it cuts perfectly. Could the difference be that all the images are grouped or will I have to cut each image individually?

Also do you have to cut immediately after printing for it to read the registerations marks correctly or can I print today and cut a few days later?

Also I'm wondering why I should buy the design edition of Silhouette Studio? I am able to edit all my files as I like and cut them out. I have Silhouette so I am not concerned with using other programs and I have found images online and cut them out also.

Last edited by Leona2025; 11-10-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #278
Pearl-ExPert

This is how I save my files. I click SaveAs and put the file in a special folder I made for my Silhouette purchases. I back that folder up frequently.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #279
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona2025 View Post
I'm having trouble with the print and cut feature. I tried to put a lot of different images on a single sheet to cut and it cuts outside the lines, but when I try to cut each individually it cuts perfectly. Could the difference be that all the images are grouped or will I have to cut each image individually?

Also do you have to cut immediately after printing for it to read the registerations marks correctly or can I print today and cut a few days later?

Also I'm wondering why I should buy the design edition of Silhouette Studio? I am able to edit all my files as I like and cut them out. I have Silhouette so I am not concerned with using other programs and I have found images online and cut them out also.
Here are two videos I found for you to cut multiples-
Under A Cherry Tree: the Silhouette Cameo Review 3: How to Print-and-Cut with Silhouette Studio (or How to make cupcake toppers).

Need Help with Multiple Print & Cut Cameo Silhouette - YouTube

Yes, I have P&C a few days later. This is very important. One of the most easy mistakes to make. SAVE YOUR FILE! You will need that file with the registration marks or you will have to start the whole P&C process over again. That's probably my mistake I make the most often is I forget to save my file. Make sure to save the file. I have gotten into the habit of saving right after I print.

I don't use SDE. I probably will never own a copy of it. I can do everything in the free version. I use Inkscape though to convert SVG's into DXF's to import into the Silhouette free version.

I do own MTC also. I use the free version of Silhouette software the most.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #280
Rubber Obsessor

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I feel so simple, but I was loading the mat wrong. Another question. I have bought a bunch of 3d flower cutfiles from the silhouette store, but there are no assembly instructions? Are there tutorials I'm missing?