Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree334Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #201
Die Cut Diva

I have a basic question to ask. I was afraid to start a thread to ask because some one will undoubtedly say "You know,there is a whole thread on that topic already." My question: Can someone tell me what the sillhouette does and why I should want one?

I have a Cricut and there is a local store owner who does not have a Silhouette but she is always telling me that she hears they are wonderful. What is the diference between the Silhouette and the Cricut?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
lisadozknit likes this post.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #202
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyw View Post
I have a basic question to ask. I was afraid to start a thread to ask because some one will undoubtedly say "You know,there is a whole thread on that topic already." My question: Can someone tell me what the silhouette does and why I should want one?

I have a Cricut and there is a local store owner who does not have a Silhouette but she is always telling me that she hears they are wonderful. What is the difference between the Silhouette and the Cricut?
My Silhouette Cameo is the first electronic cutter I have had so I can't compare it to a Cricut.
However my reason for buying the Silhouette is the cut files are sold individually for 99 each and I can buy only those I will use. It is my understanding you need to buy entire cartridges of images for the Cricut and those are quite costly even when they are on sale . Plus you may need to buy the entire cartridge when you only want a couple of the images .

The Silhouette will "Print & Cut' images as well as just cut them .

There are a lot of free cut files on the Net and those can also be cut with the Silhouette. You need to buy the Designer Edition to do that , but I got it on sale for $25. I have never used the Rhinestone feature but it also has that.
You can stamp and image and then trace it to make a custom cut of it , similar to stamps that have a cutting die to match .

Silhouette America has a weekly sale of cut files for 50 each and has numerous sales on other supplies throughout the year. Their Customer service is outstanding and the machine is fairly easy to use.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 07-21-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #203
Mad Swapper

Ok, the Silhouette is a digital cutter that you attach to your pc. Here, is the Silhouette site, which compares the Cameo & the Portrait. There are also a couple of videos you can watch.The Cameo is a larger machine than the Portrait, so it depends how much room you have for one. You can buy digital shapes from Silhouette, as well as a number of other places. There are also quite a lot of sites offering free cutting files. With a little bit of basic learning, you can draw & cut your own custom ones. They will also cut ANY font you have on your pc,in a huge range of sizes- from a quarter inch high, to 8" high. This doesn't only mean letters- you can weld letters together to make a word or phrase, and it also cuts 'dingbat' fonts- the little picture ones. Many can be downloaded from sites such as Dafont, , Urbanfonts , Dingbatdepot to name a few. All free.
The beauty of the digital machine is that you can alter the size of any letter/shape to suit your project, no more being limited to the size of a die. And if you work out the cost of a couple or three alphabet dies/ cartridges, you can have a whole world of fonts for the cost of a few.
Here are some good sites for shapes- you will see there is an infinite variety of freebies.
The Free SVG blog
UKScrappers - loads of tutorials, free files & help & advice here.You have to be a member(FREE)for a month, then you have access to download cutting files. Hundreds of 'nestie' type shapes on here, as well as probably every shape you can think of!
Birdscards .
I still have my original Silhouette, which is now getting on for 10 years old, and still going strong. I had a Red Sizzix at the time, and was horrified at the cost of Alphabet set dies. I worked out that for the cost of two alpha's, I could have a Silhouette, so thats what I did. Never, ever regretted it- it has to be the best, most useful bit of kit I have ever bought. There are many knowledgeable people on here and on the UKScrappers site to offer help. Silhouette support is brilliant too- very helpful & quick.
Here is one card made using a cutting file, Here and Here, shows you how you acn weld letters together to make a word, and create a shadow matt for it.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 07-21-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 07-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #204
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I have a basic question to ask. I was afraid to start a thread to ask because some one will undoubtedly say "You know,there is a whole thread on that topic already." My question: Can someone tell me what the sillhouette does and why I should want one?

I have a Cricut and there is a local store owner who does not have a Silhouette but she is always telling me that she hears they are wonderful. What is the diference between the Silhouette and the Cricut?
The main difference is that you do not have to buy expensive cartridges for the Cameo. I know you do not use all those images on a cartirdge... maybe one or two! You can buy 1000's off designs on the Silhouette site for 99 cents each. There are sales on the designs many times at 50 cents each and weekly there is a markdown sale. Also you can join the Silhouette buying program & get lots of designs for as low as 25 cents each! Online there are many FREE designs or what are called .svg files. You can use the software that comes with your Cameo to make your design into any size you want or you want change it into what you like better. You can even draw your own designs or import graphics and print them & then cut around the image! This also works for stamped images. It is my favorite thing I have ever bought except my computer! I hope this helps. Go on YouTube & look at what this machine can do! Also go to Silhouette Online Store - Home & look at all the designs. Google Free svg cuts.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #205
Polyshrink Goddess

Another prospective Silhouette buyer here with a question -

What are some of the most useful and active sites ( forums, blogs etc...) for me to visit and read?
And some of the best sites for free designs?

I'm just about ready to make the switch from Cricut and I want to read up on as much as I can.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #206
Mad Swapper

If you check out the links I've put in my post, you will find some awesome resources there. Like I said, the UKScrappers site, which is a forum, you need to be a member for one month before you get access to all the free designs, so its worth joining up asap. They have many people on there who know the whole range of these machines inside out, so are a great help.
The lady who writes the Birdscards blog is constantly putting up neww, free files. Another god way to find more is Pinterest- just search for SVG files. Hth.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #207
Glitter Queen

Has anyone noticed the new Silhouette stamp material?
It doesn't seem to be available yet, but when it is... they might as well just take all my money.

intro video:
Product Introduction: Stamping Starter Kit - YouTube
kazooMI likes this post.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #208
Polyshrink Goddess

I saw the video for the stamp material. Looks interesting, but it' so thin and not supposed to do fine detail well. It's release is set for late August. I may get a sheet and play with it.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #209
Matboard Maniac

The stamp material is worth a try. Most of us won't need the kit since we probably have acrylic blocks and ink pads already.

I'm going to start planning what designs to use when it's available. And of course look forward to feedback here from folks who've tried it out.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #210
Rubber Obsessor

Another cheap place to find things is at Jessica Sprague who has "One Buck Wednesday". She has lots of designer paper &embellishments that you can print & cut with your Cameo. One Buck Wednesday
Also there is a big 40% off sale at Silhouette on supplies right now!
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #211
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbee View Post
Has anyone noticed the new Silhouette stamp material?
It doesn't seem to be available yet, but when it is... they might as well just take all my money.

intro video:
Product Introduction: Stamping Starter Kit - YouTube
Yes - I was scouring YouTube at lunch time today for new CHA stuff and I'm with you! I have a KNK Maxx, though, so I'll have to find out if I can use this with my machine. AWESOME idea
Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #212
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewnmachine View Post
What are some of the most useful and active sites ( forums, blogs etc...) for me to visit and read?
And some of the best sites for free designs?
You have had some great suggestions already, but if you are on Facebook, there are some groups you can join with oodles of free files, and great tips and support, too. The three I belong to are:
All Things SILHOUETTE CAMEO & SD (mostly vinyl projects);
Cameo Friends (a secret group, so I am not sure how you would join, but if you PM your FB "name" to me I can ask them to allow you in);
Paper Crafting w/ Cameos
Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #213
Die Cut Diva

I picked up the Designer edition for $32.88 - technically 22.88 as you get a $10 store credit.
Silhouette Studio Designer Edition (Digital Download): SVGTools.co - Sizzix eclips, Silhouette Cameo, Sure Cuts A Lot, Silhouette Studio Designer Edition and more!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #214
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Need an answer:

My computer needs re-formatted but if I do that will all the files that I have put into my library be saved or will I lose them all? I don't know whether they are saved on a server on Silhouette website or just on my computer. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #215
Polyshrink Goddess

I think since the new designer software came out, it prevents you from saving your files anywhere else. Somebody else may know how to do this, but if they don't respond, you can re-download your entire library from the silhouette site. They allow you to do this 5 times without approval in case of failure.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #216
Mad Swapper

All the files you have purchased from Silhouette are stored on their servers. In the event of a hard drive fail/format, you can download your designs directly from them. This will not include any of your own designs, or downloads from elsewhere on the net though. If you go to the FAQ's page, it will tell you how to do it. I've had it happen a few times to me-the second time I thought I had them all backed up to!It does tell you there is a maximum number of times you can do this, but in reality, as long as there is a reasonable time gap between needing to do it, I don't think they actually question it. As a backup now, I occasionally burn off onto cd all the designs I've downloaded off the net, and I am pretty sure you can do the same with all your silhouette designs too. Their customer support is ace, by the way, so if you get any difficulties, get in touch with them.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #217
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsy232 View Post
My computer needs re-formatted but if I do that will all the files that I have put into my library be saved or will I lose them all? I don't know whether they are saved on a server on Silhouette website or just on my computer. Thanks for the help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
I think since the new designer software came out, it prevents you from saving your files anywhere else. Somebody else may know how to do this, but if they don't respond, you can re-download your entire library from the silhouette site. They allow you to do this 5 times without approval in case of failure.
You can back up your files on a thumb drive, cd/dvd, or EHD. Depending on where you installed your Sillhouette software, you can go to that directory and drill down to resources\com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8 and copy that file over and it contains all the Sil Studio files you have in your program. I have about 5000 files and I do this so I can go between computers. I have an older DE version on my netbook so that I can export my files as svg and use them in MTC with my new Zing.
uncbballfan likes this post.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #218
Die Cut Diva

Default Silhouette

What is a good price for a Silhouette Cameo? Then would I need to buy refill ink, since it can print and cut?
Old 08-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #219
Stampin' Fool

The Silhouette Cameo does not print on the Cameo. Rather, you send the image you want to print to your printer and then you send that same paper, which you will then affix to your sticky mat, through your Cameo. Based on the "registration marks" that are either on the image already or you manually put them there, the Cameo will then know where to cut.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #220
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
What is a good price for a Silhouette Cameo? Then would I need to buy refill ink, since it can print and cut?
The Silhouette Cameo retails for around $299, I think, but I see it on a lot of online retail sites for $269. Then you have to pay shipping.......
So I figure anything at $269 or under would be a good/decent price.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #221
Glitter Queen

Miss Kate Cuttables has a freebie each day and she also has a $.50 store and Deal of the Day. Very cute stuff.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #222
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Overstock.com has a great deal on a Silhouette Cameo. You get all the things you normally with the machine PLUS an extra $25 Gift card in addition to the regular $10 Gift card to spend in the Silhouette store; the teal cover which I bought extra; and a glitter pack

It appears it will ship free.

Silhouette Cameo Search Results | Overstock.com
Old 08-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #223
Cardstock Collector

Default Embossing with the Cameo???

Hello
This is my first post to this forum, so not sure I'm in the right place but here goes.
I have a Cameo which I love and use for almost every card I make.
Does anyone know if there are any plans to introduce an embossing function in any of the future updates? I'd find it so useful. I used to have a Pazzles, which was similar to the Cameo but much more difficult to use, but you could certainly emboss with it.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #224
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniehall View Post
Does anyone know if there are any plans to introduce an embossing function in any of the future updates? I'd find it so useful. I used to have a Pazzles, which was similar to the Cameo but much more difficult to use, but you could certainly emboss with it.
I have not tried it but it is apparently possible using a third party pen / stylus holder and embossing mat as described here about half way down the page.

Charmaine
Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #225
Rubber Obsessor

I have a Cameo that I haven't used yet. Can anyone tell me if the new Amuse Studio cutting files can be used with the Cameo - they are PNG files. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #226
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSister View Post
I have a Cameo that I haven't used yet. Can anyone tell me if the new Amuse Studio cutting files can be used with the Cameo - they are PNG files. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Yes. Check out this tutorial (with free png files to try):
silhouette tutorial & freebie! Heidi Swapp

Charmaine
Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #227
Die Cut Diva

Default Cutting felt with Cameo Silhouette

I was able to cut felt on my Cameo! I tried freezer paper first and stabelizer second to make it more like cutting paper but that didnt work at all. But I tried just putting cheap felt directly on the mat and using the fabric blade set at 10 it worked! I think it has to be cheap felt the soft fluffy wool wont cut clean.

To clean the felt fuzzies off the mat, I took packing tape and it cleaned the mat up very well. I also used canned air and cleaned the machine a bit.

I am pretty pleased.

Bonnie
cookie1031 likes this post.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #228
Matboard Maniac

Just got my Silouhette last week...?? just purchased two files from Flourishes-one a svg file-the other is for the Silhouette..but can't cut either-and can't load them into my Libarary--??wondering if because I don't have the Design Studio-or whatever the design program is?? TIA!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #229
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to Glitter_Girl

Hi there!

I was wondering...can anyone direct me to a tutorial OR share with me here if you are able to convert silhouette studio files INTO pdf or jpegs?

My printer is not the greatest, so I would LOVE to be able to create my designs and have them printed elsewhere for better quality. I like to use the print and cut features and sometimes just the printing feature on the silhouette.

Any help is greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Glitter Ink
Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #230
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry107 View Post
Just got my Silouhette last week...?? just purchased two files from Flourishes-one a svg file-the other is for the Silhouette..but can't cut either-and can't load them into my Libarary--??wondering if because I don't have the Design Studio-or whatever the design program is?? TIA!
You need Designer Edition to use SVG files , but the Studio file should work.

Bring up your Silhouette program and screen.
At the very top of your computer screen after the word Silhouette Studio is a drop down menu .
Choose "FILE' and you will see a drop down choice that says " Import to my Library" Click on that .

Your computer documents or files will come up.
Find where you saved the Studio file and click on that. It will go into the Library section that is titled "My Designs "

Hope this helps
Barbara
Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #231
Rubber Obsessor

Here is a link I got when I googled your question. I do not have Windows computer so do not know if it works.
Cat Scrap Fever: How to "Export" Silhouette Studio Files to SVG files
Old 09-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #232
Cardstock Collector

Default Silhouette Cutting Off Mat

My Silhouette just started cutting about 1/4" off the sticky part on the plastic mat. It cut once correctly and then off the area next. I was cutting some fabric to do appliques.

I have no idea what happened. The Silhouette just does not pull the paper in as far as it did before.

Can anyone help?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #233
Matboard Maniac

Check on the machine's display. Make sure Load Mat is selected and not Load Media.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #234
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedcurtain View Post
Check on the machine's display. Make sure Load Mat is selected and not Load Media.
Good grief - I am such a dork - that was the problem - thanks for your help.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #235
Matboard Maniac

Attn: Cameo and Portrait machine owners. Silhouette America has posted an important notice on their Support webpage regarding the power adapters. Mine was counterfeit. You should check yours:http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/med...e-20130917.pdf

Charmaine
~LN likes this post.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #236
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Attn: Cameo and Portrait machine owners. Silhouette America has posted an important notice on their Support webpage regarding the power adapters. Mine was counterfeit. You should check yours:http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/med...e-20130917.pdf

Charmaine
Thanks!! Mine is counterfeit too.

Maybe that is why I was having problems with the machine sometimes stalling during the cutting process.
I will call Silhouette tomorrow
Old 09-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #237
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Charmaine
Thank you for the heads up. I'm expecting my Cameo to arrive this week, so I'll check the power adapter to see if it's a counterfeit.

Rita
Old 10-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #238
Cardstock Collector

Default Silhouette Cameo-2 page layout

So, for those of you who use the cameo I have a question. You can purchase a 2 page layout in the silhouette store. How do you go about using the 2 page layout? Is this printable? or can you use it to cut? I was just playing around in the store last night and found these 2 page layouts. Can anyone help me understand how to use them? Thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #239
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolenekammerud View Post
So, for those of you who use the cameo I have a question. You can purchase a 2 page layout in the silhouette store. How do you go about using the 2 page layout? Is this printable? or can you use it to cut? I was just playing around in the store last night and found these 2 page layouts. Can anyone help me understand how to use them? Thanks!
I think they're more meant for cutting than printing - which you could do if you wanted to.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #240
Polyshrink Goddess

Hello, all - I want to try vinyl; any suggestions on inexpensive sources? I tried to use a 50% coupon for Silhouette brand at Michaels today, but they told me it was a clearance item. It wasn't marked that way and there were no signs, but they wouldn't budge. I ended up buying Cricut vinyl as it was $2 cheaper, but now wonder if I made a mistake.

$10-$12 seems like an awful lot for such a small amount; does it really matter what brand I buy?
Respectfully,
Sarah (kegbo)