Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree335Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #41
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
Ok, now I see. Changing the extention doesn't actually change the file type (and doing this can actually corrupt your file). Silhouette Studio will open up jpg files, so that is why it opened without any problems. I don't understand though how you got cut lines showing up without first tracing the object if it was a jpeg file (are your certain it was a jpeg & not a svg file?).
At any rate, you won't need to put compound path back on for each piece as they will have cutting lines. If you plan on resizing the design, it will be a good idea to group them back together or put them back as a compound path so that you can maintain proportions when resizing.
The extension was .jpg when I got it. It is an outline image and the lines were/are black on the original file and unless I am misunderstanding this cut lines show up in red. Thus my need to trace them to get cut lines.
Files from the Silhouette store are already in red .
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #42
Inking Addict

Default Silhouette Tutorials

He All,
I just bought my Silhouette last month as well. I've found You Tube to be a huge source of information! There's so many tutorials! I've learned how to add free fonts, download and add free digital papers, as well as print and cut and how to upload free SVG files. It's all on You Tube!

I even figured out how to take designs from that other company and convert them. I cannot teach it, however it is possible to do without buying carts. It's something everyone needs to figure out on their own...unfortunately. There's a bit of a learning curve!

Hope you all are enjoying your machines. I have fallen in love!

Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 AM   #43
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampingRealtor View Post
He All,
I just bought my Silhouette last month as well. I've found You Tube to be a huge source of information! There's so many tutorials! I've learned how to add free fonts, download and add free digital papers, as well as print and cut and how to upload free SVG files. It's all on You Tube!

I even figured out how to take designs from that other company and convert them. I cannot teach it, however it is possible to do without buying carts. It's something everyone needs to figure out on their own...unfortunately. There's a bit of a learning curve!

Hope you all are enjoying your machines. I have fallen in love!

Karen
Well said - especially when seeing it and being able to play it over and over if needed helps. Usually more detail than what could be printed in an manual. I just need to find the time to play more.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #44
Mad Swapper

I saw the mention above of adding fonts- you may already have thought of this, but there are a lot of 'dingbat' fonts out there, that is, picture type fonts. I have gathered up loads of these, which have flourishes, keys, clocks etc in place of letters, which you can also then cut out on the Silhouette.
Try these:
dafont
Urban fonts
1001fonts
fontspace
pickafont
Iconianfonts
dingbat depot
All these have hundreds of free fonts, safe sites (I use them all the time).
Just download, install and have hours of free fun, lol.
rxmolly76 likes this post.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #45
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
I saw the mention above of adding fonts- you may already have thought of this, but there are a lot of 'dingbat' fonts out there, that is, picture type fonts. I have gathered up loads of these, which have flourishes, keys, clocks etc in place of letters, which you can also then cut out on the Silhouette.
Try these:
dafont
Urban fonts
1001fonts
fontspace
pickafont
Iconianfonts
dingbat depot
All these have hundreds of free fonts, safe sites (I use them all the time).
Just download, install and have hours of free fun, lol.
I love using dingbat fonts. I use them to cut all the time as well as using them as digi stamps. I want to suggest again that you not install a whole bunch of fonts on your computer. It will slow down the start up since it has to load all of them into memory when your computer starts. It also uses up your virtual memory and can slow down or prevent other programs from running if you have too many. There are free font managers that you can download (I use Font Viewer) that allow you to temporarily install a font and once you shut down your computer releases it from memory. Another trick you can use is to simply open the font file (double click) and that temporarily makes the font available for use in programs. It will only be available while its open so if you are using it in a document that you will need to open later, then you will need to install the font.

Just some tricks I've learned along the way....
queeky likes this post.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks so much catwoman! Gotta love FREE!
blessings,
Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #47
Compulsive Stamper

thanks for the info!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #48
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Just browsing around Pinterest (as you do), and came across this board, which is filled with links to video tutorials and free files.
All Things Silhouette
thanks for sharing this link!!

My Creative Side

Some days just look better upside down" Eeyore
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #49
Glitter Guru

the Silhouette blog, is a great place for information too, and they give away a free shape every Tuesday

Silhouette america blog

My Creative Side

Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #50
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapnstamp on the farm View Post
the Silhouette blog, is a great place for information too, and they give away a free shape every Tuesday

Silhouette america blog
Wow! Thanks this is an amazing collection of tutorials and videos
Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #51
Cardstock Collector

Default Help with "shadow" cut

I am not sure I am posting this correctly, but I could sure use some help. I have had my Cameo a few months but don't have tons of time to use it. I am trying to figure out a couple of things. First I tried to use the offset to do a shadow or blackout and didn't seem to get it right. What I want is to cut out a phrase or word and then cut it out slightly larger in another darker color, to go behind it, to make it stand out. When i did it, it cut out the word in the inside area too.. If this makes sense. Not sure how to describe this.

Also, i purchased a set of three baby phrases, then I ungrouped them because i only want to cut out one. But the problem i keep having is that it also ungroups all of the little pieces it cuts out for each one so I then can't move them around because the little pieces have to be all moved individually, so it takes a long time and I can't get those little pieces back exactly where they should be.

My apologies if I am not posting this correctly. Thanks, I have already found some great info on here!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #52
Die Cut Diva

I am a Cameo newbie but I did get directions from cat_woman on how to cut a solid background of just the shape. Such as wanting to cut a background from a different color to put behind a doily

If you go to the scissor icon at the top of the Silhouette screen you will get a "Cut Style Window" then choose " cut edge" that will only cut the outline of the edge it won't cut the phrase inside of the shape too. The "cut " feature cuts it all .
Hope this helps.

I am not sure how to solve the " ungroup" issue. I ungrouped a file and move all the pieces off the mat that I wanted cut in a different color. Then I put them back one by one to cut them from different color cardstock . I am not sure this is the best way to do it but it works
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #53
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny of KC View Post
I am not sure I am posting this correctly, but I could sure use some help. I have had my Cameo a few months but don't have tons of time to use it. I am trying to figure out a couple of things. First I tried to use the offset to do a shadow or blackout and didn't seem to get it right. What I want is to cut out a phrase or word and then cut it out slightly larger in another darker color, to go behind it, to make it stand out. When i did it, it cut out the word in the inside area too.. If this makes sense. Not sure how to describe this.

Also, i purchased a set of three baby phrases, then I ungrouped them because i only want to cut out one. But the problem i keep having is that it also ungroups all of the little pieces it cuts out for each one so I then can't move them around because the little pieces have to be all moved individually, so it takes a long time and I can't get those little pieces back exactly where they should be.

My apologies if I am not posting this correctly. Thanks, I have already found some great info on here!
I'm going to make the assumption that each element is its own compound path, so what you need to do is select everything (ctrl A) and then right click and select release compound path. You should end up with each part of the design in their own groups. In order to get the mat (or black out I think its called in Cricut terminology) for your phrase, select your phrase, then use the offset and set it to however much larger than your phrase you want. Once you have it where you want it, then click apply. You will then need to move your original design off the cutting mat area or select it to not cut from the cut style window.

If you need anymore help, let us know and someone will step in...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #54
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I am a Cameo newbie but I did get directions from cat_woman on how to cut a solid background of just the shape. Such as wanting to cut a background from a different color to put behind a doily

If you go to the scissor icon at the top of the Silhouette screen you will get a "Cut Style Window" then choose " cut edge" that will only cut the outline of the edge it won't cut the phrase inside of the shape too. The "cut " feature cuts it all .
Hope this helps.

I am not sure how to solve the " ungroup" issue. I ungrouped a file and move all the pieces off the mat that I wanted cut in a different color. Then I put them back one by one to cut them from different color cardstock . I am not sure this is the best way to do it but it works
How did it work out for you Barbara?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #55
Glitter Guru

I just found this site, and thought I would share

Miss Kate Cuttables

My Creative Side

Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #56
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

Love this Sticky thank you! and I don't even have one yet LOL!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #57
Cardstock Collector

Thanks cat_woman and Barbara, I will try that. I just tried out the print and cut last night and it is awesome!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #58
Stazon Splitcoast

we moved this week and just wanted to share that when i saw the box marked "silhouette" come off the truck I jumped for joy!!

thanks for sharing these tips. I hope to unpack sometime....before I die!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #59
Matboard Maniac

This is the best video tutorial I have found on tracing graphics bought into Design Studio:

Tracing without Tears in Silhouette Studio Part 1 - YouTube
sherry107 likes this post.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #60
Matboard Maniac

Default almost have enough to buy my silhouette lol, anyone

seen any bargains? where did you buy yours? what is a decent price?
tracyg
Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #61
Matboard Maniac

Default curious about something

I don't have a silhouette yet lol, saving my pennies and educating myself further as i am a bit tech challenged. so, it can cut the fonts on your computer...does it automatically update as you add fonts? i'm assuming it does, but just wondered. i WAS a font addict, but have a newish laptop and haven't even added any new fonts since i bought it, but was wondering how that worked.
thanks
tracyg
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #62
Gallery Gazer

Just want to share -
I'm sure some of you already know this, the Cricut cutting mats work in the Silhouette Cameo. I just bought a set of mats (they come 2 to a pack) 12"x12" at Jo-Ann's with a 50% off coupon for $6.50!
Michael's would not let me use a coupon for Cricut items, their loss, since while I was at Jo-Ann's I bought other fun things too.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/XcessStamps
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #63
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicak View Post
I have the cameo silhouette, and my cameo likes the settings 5 and 33 for most cardstock. Stamping Up card stock is my big problem, does anybody know what setting works best for this paper??
I've had great results with the setting at 5 and 33 too!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #64
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyg View Post
I don't have a silhouette yet lol, saving my pennies and educating myself further as i am a bit tech challenged. so, it can cut the fonts on your computer...does it automatically update as you add fonts? i'm assuming it does, but just wondered. i WAS a font addict, but have a newish laptop and haven't even added any new fonts since i bought it, but was wondering how that worked.
thanks
tracyg
It will let you use whatever truetype or open type fonts you have installed on your computer.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #65
Die Cut Diva

I just had fun cutting and making beautiful 3-D flowers with my new Cameo. The Silhouette store has several designs for 3-D flowers and a gorgeous new one that has realistic shaped petals ! It is pink and called 3D flower.

If anyone is on the fence about getting one of these machines I love it ! I will never again need to buy punches or dies to make flowers or leaves

This is my first electronic cutter and I never tried anyone else's . It is very easy to use.
Plus I am no computer techie !! When I loaded my first photo here Understanding Blue gave me line by line instructions I had never uploaded a picture anywhere.
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #66
Crimping Master

Cool

Quote:
I just had fun cutting and making beautiful 3-D flowers with my new Cameo. The Silhouette store has several designs for 3-D flowers and a gorgeous new one that has realistic shaped petals ! It is pink and called 3D flower.

If anyone is on the fence about getting one of these machines I love it ! I will never again need to buy punches or dies to make flowers or leaves

This is my first electronic cutter and I never tried anyone else's . It is very easy to use.
Plus I am no computer techie !! When I loaded my first photo here Understanding Blue gave me line by line instructions I had never uploaded a picture anywhere.
Congrats, Barbara! I finished cutting out 24 valentine boxes for church youth group. Had to cut out 30 or so to get 24 perfect ones. Hope they like them...teenagers. But the thrill when I uploaded them, finished - priceless. I love my machine! Now to start working on Valentine cards.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #67
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

Default design software question?

ok I done have a Silhouette but I have been on the fence about getting one because I 'm really not that tech savvy but I have down loaded the software just to see if I'm going to tackle it ...But since I am already a Circuit user and used to use my Gypsy until my screen cracked .. I understand that we can choose the sizes of the designs but is there a way to see the grid lines on the screen of the mat while we are designing?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #68
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LN View Post
ok I done have a Silhouette but I have been on the fence about getting one because I 'm really not that tech savvy but I have down loaded the software just to see if I'm going to tackle it ...But since I am already a Circuit user and used to use my Gypsy until my screen cracked .. I understand that we can choose the sizes of the designs but is there a way to see the grid lines on the screen of the mat while we are designing?
On the top at the very right hand side of the screen there is a little grid. Click on that and you can set up your grid options (whether to show or not, size, colour of lines, etc.). You can also set the opacity of the "paper" so that the mat shows through. 3 buttons to the left of the grid button is the button for your page set up. Click on that and there is a slider bar under "Reveal Cutting Mat". That will allow you to see the grid of the mat through your paper.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #69
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
On the top at the very right hand side of the screen there is a little grid. Click on that and you can set up your grid options (whether to show or not, size, colour of lines, etc.). You can also set the opacity of the "paper" so that the mat shows through. 3 buttons to the left of the grid button is the button for your page set up. Click on that and there is a slider bar under "Reveal Cutting Mat". That will allow you to see the grid of the mat through your paper.
Thank you!

I love this board & sticky!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #70
Polyshrink Goddess

Please help!

I have downloaded a file from The Cutting Cafe. I have the Designer Edition and I have not really used this a whole lot. I imported the file into My Library (svg) in Studio Designer. Now when I open the file on my mat, if I try to cut it, I get an error message about no cut lines. So I hit the scissors and select cut, but it does not change color. I have watched a video on You tube and did exactly as she did, but mine is not working.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #71
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athina View Post
Please help!

I have downloaded a file from The Cutting Cafe. I have the Designer Edition and I have not really used this a whole lot. I imported the file into My Library (svg) in Studio Designer. Now when I open the file on my mat, if I try to cut it, I get an error message about no cut lines. So I hit the scissors and select cut, but it does not change color. I have watched a video on You tube and did exactly as she did, but mine is not working.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Nevermind, I got it. I was importing instead of opening the file. I got it to work.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #72
Embossing Fanatic

Hey Guys, hope anyone of you can help me with this, I am really desperate right now.
I got my Silhouette Portrait a few weeks ago and used it a few times with everything funcioning perfectly alright, but all of a sudden it stopped working. I can't switch it on, it won't load the cutting sheet and the software says that it can't connect to machine.
I haven't changed nothing, I already checked all the connections several times, but just can't find the error.
Any suggestions what could fix it?
Thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #73
Mad Swapper

I would suggest that you uninstall it,( through Control Panel, Add & Remove programs) then re- download the software from the Silhouette site. It sounds as if somehow the program has become corrupted.
One other thought-I just remembered something that happened to me once.
Have you downloaded or installed ANY other programs since you put the Silhouette software on?
If so, uninstall those first, and see if it works then.
I had a glitch like this with a font managing programme once- it interfered with the Silhouette program. Took three complete wipes of my system, before I realised that everything worked fine up until this particular program was added. I think it was Font Fitting Room, but can't be sure now.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #74
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
I would suggest that you uninstall it,( through Control Panel, Add & Remove programs) then re- download the software from the Silhouette site. It sounds as if somehow the program has become corrupted.
One other thought-I just remembered something that happened to me once.
Have you downloaded or installed ANY other programs since you put the Silhouette software on?
If so, uninstall those first, and see if it works then.
I had a glitch like this with a font managing programme once- it interfered with the Silhouette program. Took three complete wipes of my system, before I realised that everything worked fine up until this particular program was added. I think it was Font Fitting Room, but can't be sure now.
I did, but it still doesn't work. I don't think it's a software issue, there must be a problem with the machine itself as it can't be powered on.
My retailer has contacted Silhouette support, so I hope they can help me. Might need a replacement.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #75
Glitter Guru

I need suggestions

My daughter is a dancer and her musical theatre group is doing a Dr Seuss number and she is Thing 1

I was thinking of using fabric with an iron on transfer for the big white circle, what would you suggest I use for the writing part??

My Creative Side

Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #76
Inking Addict

Smile

Quote:
Just browsing around Pinterest (as you do), and came across this board, which is filled with links to video tutorials and free files.
All Things Silhouette
Thank you so much for the link
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #77
Inking Addict

I got the silhouette for Christmas. I am so in love with this machine with all the things that it can do....I haven't really used my cricut(s) since this machine came out of the box....
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #78
Rubber Obsessor

there is also a forum Silhouette Plus that has tons of freebies and also has alot of experienced users who are not only very friendly but very helpful with the cameo.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #79
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylannie View Post
there is also a forum Silhouette Plus that has tons of freebies and also has alot of experienced users who are not only very friendly but very helpful with the cameo.
Do you have a link to the forum Silhouette Plus?
Thanks!!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #80
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Do you have a link to the forum Silhouette Plus?
Thanks!!
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Silhouet...ex.php?act=idx