Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree258Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #401
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMstamps View Post
Really? The Silhouette can't do this? I am so confused. I had just decided to get the Silhouette Portrait because the price is so much more reasonable than the Scan 'N Cut (even though I would prefer the SNC). But the main thing I want to do is stamp with a rubber stamp onto cardstock, and then have my machine cut it, and cut larger mats of the shape as well . If this is a pain in the neck on the Silhouette, then it is not for me. But I am going to have to wait a LONG time to to buy a SNC. LM
If this was your main use, then the SNC would have been the better choice. There is a tutorial out there somewhere on how to do this with the silhouette machines. IMO it's a complicated and time consuming work around. I was excited to find it since there were no other alternatives at the time, but I never used it anyway because it just wasn't worth it. I'll try and find it again for you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #402
Forum Fanatic

I actually haven't purchased an e-cutter yet, I had just decided that the Silhouette would be the best for me, primarily because of the price. But since the Silhouette cannot easily do the primary thing I would use it for, then I won't get it. I will just have to wait longer to get the SNC until I can afford it. Thanks for the info...I am so glad I found this out before purchasing the Silhouette. LM
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #403
Kookie Creator

If this makes it any easier, you can purchase the machine and make monthly payments through this link from brother. It's not any cheaper through Amazon once they tack on sales tax even with free shipping.

ScanNCut Exclusive TV Offer | Home & Hobby Cutting Machine with Built in Scanner
LMstamps likes this post.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #404
Gabfest Goddess

Arizona, the SNC says, "

Scan to USB

Scan virtually anything into your machine to be saved as a cut file. As a bonus, use ScanNCut to scan important documents, files, artwork and photographs, and save to your USB to be used for future use. USB not included."

Does that mean I can scan photos from the machine and transfer them to my computer to be used with say MDS?
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #405
Kookie Creator

I believe the SNC can also be used as a traditional scanner. So, if you're looking for both a scanner and a cutting machine, you would be killing two birds with one stone. There is a thread Titled "Brother Scan and Cut Machine" that discusses the capabilities of this machine. You will get better answers there since quite a few people already have the machine. Someone also posted links for 2 1 hour videos by paper crafters that go into a lot of detail about using the machine. I highly recommend these before you buy so you get a feel for whether it is the machine for you.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #406
Die Cut Diva

I have never done this as I rarely cut out my images , but here are a couple of videos on how to cut out a rubber stamped image using a Silhouette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goKbjWDm9are

Cutting Stamped Images with Silhouette Studio - YouTube

Hope this helps
Barbara
craftymomto2, ~LN and kazooMI like this post.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #407
Gabfest Goddess

Is the thread here on SCS? Off to look...
Proud RAK Member
Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #408
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
No The links I posted are on YouTube so you can actually see how it is done on a Silhouette

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding if you save an image in a file on your computer and not just in your Silhouette library you can use it for MDS or anything else.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #409
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I have never done this as I rarely cut out my images , but here are a couple of videos on how to cut out a rubber stamped image using a Silhouette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goKbjWDm9are

Cutting Stamped Images with Silhouette Studio - YouTube

Hope this helps
Barbara
Barbara, your first link doesn't work for me, the second video was very good, thank you!
Proud RAK Member
Leeshas likes this post.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #410
Kookie Creator

The video posted shows how to cut an outline only. You would then need to stamp the image onto the outline shape. I find this very easy to do using a stamp-a-ma-jig. I do roll up a small piece of low-tack tape (washi works very well), and adhere from behind to hold the shape in place while I stamp it. I found a tutorial that will actually allow you pre-stamp and color the image before cutting. I can't find the original tutorial I found, but this one is much less complicated and utilizes making positioning stencils that can be used over and over. It's still a lot more work as far as I'm concerned. Especially with the number of stamps I have. I would not want to do this each time I use a stamp I want to cut out. I would still recommend a SNC if your primary purpose is to fussy cut. Not that I am dogging on Cameo. I have one and love it. The SNC just has other capabilities that I would consider an extension of my Cameo.

Stamp and cut with a Silhouette | Clever Someday
Old 01-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #411
Kookie Creator

Quote:
The thread is on SCS forums under Tool and Product Talk

Brother Scan and Cut Machine
Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #412
Cardstock Collector

Default I think the Silhouette can do what you want it to

Quote:
I actually haven't purchased an e-cutter yet, I had just decided that the Silhouette would be the best for me, primarily because of the price. But since the Silhouette cannot easily do the primary thing I would use it for, then I won't get it. I will just have to wait longer to get the SNC until I can afford it. Thanks for the info...I am so glad I found this out before purchasing the Silhouette. LM
I think the Silhouette can do what you want it to.
I wanted to be able to create cuts for some of my stamps so I stamped them, scanned them and opened the image in Silhouette so I could use the trace function to create a cut on the outer edge. Once I did that, I selected the shape and used the offset function to create a shadow that was a little larger than the original cut. Once I cut the shape, then I can stamp it and layer it on the shadow piece.
I am really new to Silhouette and do have the upgraded software but I honestly don't know if you need it to do this. By creating the cut and stamping on it later, I can choose my colors as I go rather than storing the color image on the computer. If card stock will go through your printer, you can use card stock for your print and cut images. The method that I was describing for blank cuts in the shape of your stamps doesn't require your card stock to go through the printer at all. You just cut your shape and center your stamp on it. Check out the trace function on you tube. I think you will find that the Silhouette will meet your needs. I love mine!
Leeshas likes this post.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #413
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings fan View Post
I think the Silhouette can do what you want it to.
I wanted to be able to create cuts for some of my stamps so I stamped them, scanned them and opened the image in Silhouette so I could use the trace function to create a cut on the outer edge. Once I did that, I selected the shape and used the offset function to create a shadow that was a little larger than the original cut. Once I cut the shape, then I can stamp it and layer it on the shadow piece.
I am really new to Silhouette and do have the upgraded software but I honestly don't know if you need it to do this. By creating the cut and stamping on it later, I can choose my colors as I go rather than storing the color image on the computer. If card stock will go through your printer, you can use card stock for your print and cut images. The method that I was describing for blank cuts in the shape of your stamps doesn't require your card stock to go through the printer at all. You just cut your shape and center your stamp on it. Check out the trace function on you tube. I think you will find that the Silhouette will meet your needs. I love mine!
You only need the upgraded software to import SVG cutting files, or files you created in other programs, to cut with your Cameo.
Wings fan likes this post.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #414
Gabfest Goddess

Thank you Arizona for all the great information !
Proud RAK Member
Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #415
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Barbara, your first link doesn't work for me, the second video was very good, thank you!
Oops I will try again

Silhouette can cut Stamped out Shapes? Oh yes it can - YouTube

EDIT: I just checked and now this link works for me I hope it works for you too
Old 01-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #416
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
No, the Cameo can't do this. At least not in the easy way I think you are wanting. You can scan the stamp into your computer and from there import it into Silhouette software to make an out line file. From there you can cut out the outline, but you will have to stamp the image onto the outline each time. I did see a tutorial a long time ago about how to cut pre-stamped images using the cameo, but it was very involved and as far as I'm concerned a PITA. To much work for me. SNC is the only machine at this time that can cut pre-stamped and colored images easily. All you do is scan the images directly into the machine (no other cutter does this), and then select your image to cut. Easy Peasy.
thank you! you have helped me to make up mind to get the SNC. It'll be my next purchase.
LMstamps likes this post.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #417
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you can
QFTD127

Last edited by YLM; 01-25-2014 at 07:01 PM..
Old 01-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #418
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you can cut stamped images
QFTD127
Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #419
Die Cut Diva

Do I need to leave a margin around everything I cut? I am about to cut a whole bunch of rectangles for a class I'm doing and it would save paper if I could put them right up next to each other...

Also, if I see my machine is cutting wonky, how do I stop it mid cut?

thanks
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #420
Rubber Obsessor

I have the Portrait. The rollers that move the mat are not rolling on the margin of the mat and as far as I know you can't adjust them. They sit in a little groove in the roller bar. Or am I wrong? Help!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #421
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

Ginak moved her on her video but I don't move mine I have a cameo
QFTD127
Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #422
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

I just did my first fussy cut of a digi I own so excited I made 5 pages
First 3 were perfect
4 one not
On page 5 my machine said it could not read my regerstation marks
So I drew over them worked perfectly
My black ink is low
Don't know if this will help anyone but I so excited!!
Thanks Judy
QFTD127
Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #423
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewinkle View Post
Do I need to leave a margin around everything I cut? I am about to cut a whole bunch of rectangles for a class I'm doing and it would save paper if I could put them right up next to each other...

Also, if I see my machine is cutting wonky, how do I stop it mid cut?

thanks
I have SDE, so I don't know if this is available in the basic edition, but if you use the column and row feature under the replicate window, it will place your shapes right next to each other with the smallest margin. Don't use fill page, because it leaves too much space. I usually create a row using the row feature with as many shapes as I can fit across the paper, then select the whole row and make columns with the row selected. It will place the objects as close as possible. They will look like they are touching each other. I hope this makes sense and helps. Also, as far as stopping mid cut, either push the pause button on the cameo (it stops, but not usually as quickly as I want it to), or sometimes I hit the power button for a quicker response. I don't know if hitting the power button is bad for the machine though, so you may not want to try it.

Last edited by Peanutbodle; 01-30-2014 at 05:15 PM..
Old 01-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #424
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbodle View Post
I have SDE, so I don't know if this is available in the basic edition, but if you use the column and row feature under the replicate window, it will place your shapes right next to each other with the smallest margin. Don't use fill page, because it leaves too much space. I usually create a row using the row feature with as many shapes as I can fit across the paper, then select the whole row and make columns with the row selected. It will place the objects as close as possible. They will look like they are touching each other. I hope this makes sense and helps. Also, as far as stopping mid cut, either push the pause button on the cameo (it stops, but not usually as quickly as I want it to), or sometimes I hit the power button for a quicker response. I don't know if hitting the power button is bad for the machine though, so you may not want to try it.
Thank you, Peanutbodle, your directions worked perfectly! Yay! Still learning. I saved the files under "rectangle 1.75 x 2" etc so next time it will be even easier.

As for the pause function, that was like a duh moment! After this stamp camp I am getting out the instruction manual again and rereading it.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #425
Cardstock Collector

Default thanks for all the info

I just read through all the post and am loving all the info. Got my Silhouette for Christmas and have been experimenting daily especially on all the snowdays we've been having here in OH.
sherry107 likes this post.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #426
Proud Fan Club Member

I followed CleverSomeday's instructional video and made a quite perfect die from a stamped image with my Silhouette Cameo. I knew this machine was great, but now it's really great!! And I've had mine for two years...and no, I don't own the DE software just the software that came with it.
I'm really happy to discover this sweet machine does cut scanned stamped images without having to invest in the upgraded software!
sherry107, craftymomto2 and kazooMI like this post.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #427
Forum Fanatic

Where is CleverSomeday's instructional video?

When I read that the Silhouette could not do this, I decided I better start saving my money for a Brother Scan 'N Cut. But now some have posted on that thread that the machine is not cutting even borders around the images. So I am back trying to decide on what machine. The only thing I want to do with it is fussy cutting of my stamped images, and I want it to be easy to do. So I would love to be able to find this video

LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh54 View Post
I followed CleverSomeday's instructional video and made a quite perfect die from a stamped image with my Silhouette Cameo. I knew this machine was great, but now it's really great!! And I've had mine for two years...and no, I don't own the DE software just the software that came with it.
I'm really happy to discover this sweet machine does cut scanned stamped images without having to invest in the upgraded software!
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #428
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Where is CleverSomeday's instructional video?

When I read that the Silhouette could not do this, I decided I better start saving my money for a Brother Scan 'N Cut. But now some have posted on that thread that the machine is not cutting even borders around the images. So I am back trying to decide on what machine. The only thing I want to do with it is fussy cutting of my stamped images, and I want it to be easy to do. So I would love to be able to find this video

LM
here's the link Cutting Stamped Images with Silhouette Studio - YouTube

she has many more too!
kazooMI likes this post.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #429
Inking Addict

I'm really torn as to what machine I really want. I've spent two weeks mulling over my choices. I have a Slice, which I do like, but it has it's limits. I also have a Cuttlebug and a good number of dies. First I thought I'd go with the Portrait, then the Cameo and now after reading the Brother Scan 'N Cut info I'm thinking I'd enjoy that more. I don't want to spend more time on the computer and I think that's what would happen with the Silhouette machines. If only they made a Scan 'N Cut that was not so pricey! I have so many stamps that I'd love to cut, but not by hand.
Anyway, I appreciate all the info everyone has put out here. Thanks for sharing all you know about the products.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #430
Inking Addict

I have the Cameo and I love, love it. I currently own 3 different Cricut machines and I have not used either of them since last Christmas.
klh54 likes this post.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #431
Die Cut Diva

Does anyone know when Silhouette increased their prices for their files?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #432
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
Does anyone know when Silhouette increased their prices for their files?
Just the past week or so. They say it is a Currency adjustment. Not everyone sees it; mostly Canadians have been noticing it.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #433
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedcurtain View Post
Just the past week or so. They say it is a Currency adjustment. Not everyone sees it; mostly Canadians have been noticing it.
Figures! Gouging the Canadians again... I guess I won't be buying from them anymore. Its not like it costs them more to sell the files to Canadians and if we pay in US$ we're the ones that eat the difference. Another one crossed off my list that gets my money...
Old 02-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #434
Inking Addict

Default Advice on buying a Silhouette Cameo

I am going to replace my other die machine with a Cameo. What are the bundle items I want to look for when I purchase this? Any place better than another for where to buy one? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #435
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought mine thru Amazon paid $300.50 I got 2. Blades 2 works sheets set of 3 pens
I'm my price I also paid for a cover it was $6.95
There were cheaper places but no bundle
Each may is $12.99 each blade is $12.99 and cover is $7.95 I think the pen are $12.99
So but best advice is get them best bundle
QFTD127
Old 02-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #436
Kookie Creator

HSN has a bundle version of Cameo for $269.95 or 4 payments of $67.49 (shipping is additional $7.95) which includes:

1 blade
2 12x12 mats
$10 download card
$25 download card
Dust Cover
Pick me up tool
8 8.5x11 adhesive backed kraft paper
72x12 roll vinyl

Silhouette CAMEO Die-Cutting Tool with Adhesives at HSN.com

This is where I got my cameo, but the bundle was a little different at the time.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #437
Die Cut Diva

How do you glue very fine pieces? My normal go to glue is tombow mono multi, and it worked but I am wondering if there is a better way? I was gluing fairly thin letters to a painted wood piece. Thanks.

And here's a free tip: Do not put an advertisement on top of your cutting mat. It will stick and it will take a long time to get off.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #438
Kookie Creator

Depending on the pieces I like o use either micro dots or my xyron sticker maker.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #439
Embossing Fanatic

Default finding correct blade depth

Boy! I waste so much paper trying to find the correct blade depth but either it doesn't cut through or it wants to cut deep into the mat. I have used the settings that it calls for but still doesn't cut right. I have used new blades and cutting mats also. Is the a file out there that tells what cutting blade depth works with different types of paper. I use mostly Stampin' Up and Gina K's. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #440
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewinkle View Post
How do you glue very fine pieces? My normal go to glue is tombow mono multi, and it worked but I am wondering if there is a better way? I was gluing fairly thin letters to a painted wood piece.
I use die cut transfer adhesive sheets. Thermoweb Sticky dots is one brand. Letraset makes a similar product. I show pics of the product and how to use it in this blog post.