Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Embossing Fanatic

Default Reinkers VS Distress Markers ?

I am looking to purchase some distress reinkers, and got to wondering about the markers. Can anyone tell me what the difference is ( if any ) ?
Is it simply preference?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Die Cut Diva

Reinkers are bottles of ink for refreshing the Distress Ink pads. The markers are double tipped (one pen/one brush) markers. So they are two completely different things.

There are some techniques that you can use the reinkers for, other than refilling your pads. For instance, you can paint with them, create custom stamp pads and do background techniques. The markers can be used like any marker, but since they are Distress, they are highly water reactive and that allows you to apply them to your image, and then use a brush and water (or a waterbrush) to turn them into a watercolor effect, for one thing. There are lots of YouTube videos about all the things you can do with all the Distress products.

Hope that helps!

RachelRose Designs by Robin... GALLERY
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to TexasGrammy

Just wanted to let you know that I've moved your thread into the Tools & Products forum.

Carry on!

Needing SU inspiration? Check out the latest from our SCS Creative Crew each month:
Creative Crew Galleries!
Psssssssssssst! New creations appearing July 1st!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Insane Embellisher

I confess to not having any reinkers ( yet ! ). I just use my Distress Ink Pads in the very basic ways. Running out of ink in some so I am ordering reinkers soon.

I do have one or two Distress Markers. Bought a blue one hoping to make quick work of a sky area on a Christmas stamp but didn't have the control to keep it out of image areas when I wet it to blend, and the straight "colored-in" marker looked weird. So in that regard it was a disappointment.

BUT...I do have the Picket Fence Distress Marker. That thing is awesome. I used it on kraft card stock to color in a sheep....and the white, practically opaque quality once it dried is amazing. I liked having the control of the finer tip of the marker for that image.

If you do a lot of painting with the reinkers, you may not need the markers. I guess it depends on how you use them. I would definitely check out some of Tim's videos about the markers. He made one recently for CHA 2013 that goes into great detail about the markers and all the things that he himself has learned you can do with them since they were first released.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Thanks for that information about the Picket Fence marker, cobby. I might add that in next time I'm buying.

For the OP, I think it depends on what your expectations and plans for using them are. I know I'm not much of a marker person - I mostly use mine for inking stamps rather than colouring. So I am content with my Marvy markers and haven't bought any of the Distress ones... But the re-inkers are very versatile and I use them a lot for various techniques as well as (occasionally_ re-inking my pads.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks everyone .....
I have been dabbling in card making, and have seen a few videos on people using the reinkers to color their digis . I guess I wanted to see what would be the best bang for my buck in regard to a purchase for that intent.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

Yes, thanks for reminding me about Picket Fence being opaque, Mary. I have a half dozen Distress markers, but no Picket Fence. Got to get one.

As for buying reinkers, I learned the hard way that an ink pad and a reinker are a matched pair and should be bought together. I had over thirty Distress pads and no reinkers. I bought reinkers for all my pads at one go in December, when I found out they were going up in price for 2013. Thirty pads X 4 dollars per reinker at the time. It was a big drag. But I had to do it, and I bought some Cut N' Dry Felt as well so that I can make some custom stamp pads to make myself feel a little more excited about having to spend all that $$$ on bottles of ink!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

THROUGH TOMORROW ONLY....Joann.com has a sale on Distress Pads and REINKERS...for $2.49 each.

Sorry for the thread hijack but since we are discussing reinkers thought I would toss that info. out there. I just put in an order with a neighbor so we could get free shipping and ordered 8 reinkers for the pads I use the most.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Die Cut Diva

That is an awesome price! Everyone who needs re-inkers should grab it!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Polyshrink Goddess

Last time they were on sale, I got one of each!
Tim Holtz's blog has a great tutorial. I was also curious about the distress markers~

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/