Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Problem with SU Finishing Touches Edgelit

Has anyone worked with the Finishing Touch Edgelits from SU? I bought them for the zigzag edge mostly. But the other one is a lacey type floret edge that I am having a problem with. I wonder if I am doing something wrong. When I use it the first time, it works and then the die fills up with the paper pieces from what was cut on the card stock. The second time around and thereafter it will not work. You need to remove the tiny paper petals and they are SO hard to take out. You need a paper piercer or something pointed and have to do each one! Anyone who can enlighten me on this, please let me know.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the exact same problem with this SU die and pointed this out to my SU demo several months ago. She consulted the demo. higher up from her and there was no explanation. She offered to give me a refund, but I declined. So I use by SU stylus to pick, pick, pick. Recently I used one of the intricate, detailed dies from Cheery Lynn and I pretty much figured out what the problem is with this SU die. It's a design flaw. It was not designed with tiny holes in each petal so you could use your stylus to punch from behind and the tiny piece of card stock would just pop right out. Cheery Lynn designs their detailed dies with these tiny holes to make it easier to clean/punch out the leftover card stock. Same with a detailed butterfly die I have from Sizzix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Well, then it's a Sizzix design flaw. All SU dies come from Sizzix. There is another thread on here somewhere (don't have time to look now) that says something about putting tape over the die to help with the 'bits and pieces'. You could do a search for intricate dies or something and I'll bet it will come up. If you're really that dissatisfied, contact your demo and have her call SU! or call them yourself. They are very helpful and will address your issues in a timely manner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

"tiny holes in each petal" -- Bless those little holes! I often rub the really intricate dies with wax paper before cutting with them, and then poke out whatever doesn't come out easily after cutting. I don't even bother to buy intricate dies that don't have the little holes in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thank you so much for all the replies. I did already call SU and they said I must have had a defective die and sent me a new one, which acts exactly the same way. They said they have had no complaints about the die. I imagine not a lot of people have purchased this particular set. I do love the zigzag edge and will be satisfied to use it.
I will also try the wax paper trick, but at least I have learned about "intricate" dies now and will steer clear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

The old quickutz dies with closed sections that would collect bits were "foamed' with a thin adhesive sheet of 'ejector foam'. basically you cut the die once with the adhesive side of the foam toward the die, which stuck, and caused subsequent paper bits to just fall away. I wonder if something similar could be done with thin packing foam sheet, run through a xyron?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Cheery Lynn makes ejection foam that I've seen someone use on these SU dies. I can't remember where I seen the video at though. The foam you can get through the Cheery Lynn website.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Wow! That sounds like a great fix. I will try to go out to the Cheery Lynn Webiste and see what I can find out. Thanks again for all the help with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

This may be a solution for pesky cs that sticks in any die. I was just reading another thread on the forum and someone mentioned a die co. I had never heard of so I checked it out. The co., "Die-Versions" had some "Picks-n-Pokes Tools" along with the foam mentioned earlier to be used with the detailed dies they offer. I have used some similar tools that I had from a pottery class and they work great.
Die-Versions Accessories
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

An easily, low tech solution to the problem of little bits stuck in the holes is to use bakery tissue (like you see in the stores to handle donuts at serve yourself bakeries).
Place a piece of bakery tissue next to the cutting face of the die then layer your cs and die cut as usual. When you are all done, most of the pieces will fall out on their own. A nice tap on the table will usually loosen a good portion of the rest, and the few remaining will flip out easily with a gentle poke of a pin or piercing tool. The tissue acts like Teflon on the face of the die and keeps the cs from sticking.
Hope this helps with the problem!

Last edited by Boss; 11-16-2012 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: Spelling error - iPad inspired!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Thanks. I did send away for the ejection foam pieces. I figure down the road I do not want to be afraid to buy intricate dies that I like. I did try waxed paper inbetween the card stock and the die, but that really did not make anything better.
I will keep my eye out for bakery tissue and see if that could work as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

One thing I tried that made a difference was using the Metal Adapter Plate for the Big Shot. I got mine at Simon Says Stamp.com. It is meant to use with intricate dies. The little pieces just popped out. I haven't cut a lot of the Finishing Touches edgelit but the ones I did cut with the metal plate were a lot easier than using it without.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes