Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #321
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDragoness View Post
just_v what colored pencil forums have you been reading? I haven't ever really read up on any of that and it would be cool to read some from the pros. I too am a lazy artist and enjoy just stamping out the image and coloring with my cheater method. :P

But even so I do agree with being as careful as you can. Zest-it may be a good alternative to what I'm using now I'll have to check it out. Does it leave an oily residue like baby oil does?
I read a variety of forums and blogs. Lots of times I just dump a search phrase into Google like "colored pencil with solvent" and then bounce from link to link. As for actual forums, I like Wet Canvas. They have an EXCELLENT Colored Pencil Library of discussions on all sorts of topics. One particular that got me started on looking at solvent alternatives is this one. The thread started way back in 2005!

Their active discussion forum also has tons of works in progress. Fabulous.

As for blogs, I like Making a Mark. Katherine has some amazing stuff and I just love reading her.

On the residue note. No. No residue issues!

V
Old 04-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #322
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
And thanks for the Eat Cake Graphics - I hadn't seen those before and the dog stamps ---- OH GOSH!! Adored them to pieces!!

Just because you asked (ok, I know you really didn't, so I guess I should say "because you mentioned dogs from eat cake graphics"), here is my corgi card!

I have another corgi-esque image colored, I just need to find a layout for it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #323
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgchic View Post
Just because you asked (ok, I know you really didn't, so I guess I should say "because you mentioned dogs from eat cake graphics"), here is my corgi card!

Oh Meg! He is too stinkin' cute!!!

I posted a couple of new cards to my blog this morning. I really should start a gallery here, I suppose. If you want to skip the blog post, you can view them here (Sugar Nellie "Reflective") and here (The Greeting Farm "50s Sweethearts").

V
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #324
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
It's funny, a lot of colored pencil artists do not use any solvents and will make it a point to tell you so. They rely on layer after layer after layer of color and burnishing to achieve the affects.

I don't use much but I use OMS when I do.
Those artists must have more free time...
Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #325
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgchic View Post

I keep meaning to tell you, I love your avatar! I love Corgis, but don't have one currently. We had a dog who we think was part Corgi. She was a stray so we really have no idea of her heritage, but her body was just like a Corgi. Her head was more like a beagle. LOL! She was a wonderful dog. I have a Corgi stamp but haven't done anything with it yet. It's a more realistic image than the one on your cutie pie card.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #326
Mad Swapper

You're right SilverDragoness - for me, it's an issue of getting a headache --- even though it's odorless, that kind of stuff still affects me. I can't clean my shower without being extra careful!! And the other thing that got me was that it's flammable --- which just kinda freaked me out.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #327
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Oh Meg! He is too stinkin' cute!!!

I posted a couple of new cards to my blog this morning. I really should start a gallery here, I suppose. If you want to skip the blog post, you can view them here (Sugar Nellie "Reflective") and here (The Greeting Farm "50s Sweethearts").

V
Thanks! Your cards look great! I love the Sugar Nellie one...so softly colored and coordinates great with your cardstock color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
I keep meaning to tell you, I love your avatar! I love Corgis, but don't have one currently. We had a dog who we think was part Corgi. She was a stray so we really have no idea of her heritage, but her body was just like a Corgi. Her head was more like a beagle. LOL! She was a wonderful dog. I have a Corgi stamp but haven't done anything with it yet. It's a more realistic image than the one on your cutie pie card.
Oooh-ooh! You best be inking that up so I can see it. Yes, Corgis and any dog corgi-like are the bestest! I would tell Addison about how much you like her picture, but she has a big enough head as it is!

So that this post isn't completely off topic, how does everyone like to store their pencils? Right now I have mine in the 120 tin, mostly organized like the key on the pamphlet. But it always seems the color I want is in the bottom tray!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #328
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I store mine in a plastic case made by ArtBin. They make them in different sizes. Here is what they look like: http://art.artbin.com/translucent_storage.asp#catchall It's the "Quick View" series. (You have to scroll down a bit to see the 3 sizes) I took each color family and put a rubber band around it. I put some tissues in the case to keep the pencils from rolling around.

I found this a lot easier to deal with than the box they came in, especially if I traveled anywhere with them. The box would open and there would be pencils all over. It was very useless. Perhaps Prismacolor has changed the packaging but when I got my set, they were in a cardboard box.

I am MUCH happier with the ArtBin
Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #329
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
Those artists must have more free time...
True. I know, from what I've read, some regret not creating more work with faster mediums like oil, acrylics or anything else for that matter but they love the results they get from colored pencil. Here's one person whose work I admire very much...she rocks.

http://www.virginiacarroll.com/
Old 04-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #330
Gabfest Goddess

She is very good!! TFS!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #331
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

I just posted my first prisma/OMS card. You can see it here http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=187303
I am dissapointed in the color on SCS, in real life it looks more vibrant. But, at least you can see what I have done.

I appreciate your comments!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #332
Compulsive Stamper

okay girls, help me out here, lol.

So i started with goo gone, that stuff works pretty well and brightens the colours. Then i got some Stevensen OMS, and they do what theyre supposed to, but they seem to gray everything out a bit, the colours become less vivid, etc.
And after a reccomendation in this forum (another thread i think) i picked up some Baby Oil Gel today, and it just doesnt seem to work very well...

i'm wondering if i'm doin anything wrong with the oms or the baby oil gel, why arent they working when they work so well for everyone else? lol. Oh yeah and i have prismas and regular cheapo pencil crayons. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #333
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post
I just posted my first prisma/OMS card. You can see it here http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=187303
I am dissapointed in the color on SCS, in real life it looks more vibrant. But, at least you can see what I have done.

This is your FIRST prisma/OMS card? Wow! It looks gorgeous! If my prismas ever get here so I can get started, I hope to be half as good as you! I'm impressed...and a little intimidated! Great job!

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #334
Mad Swapper

I use just regular baby oil - more liquid than gel --- maybe that's an issue??? Not sure as it's all I've ever used.

Meg - I LOVE corgis too! We have 2: a boy and a girl!

I'd love to hear where you got the realistic corgi stamp!

And for pencil storage. At home I have them separated by color in a spinner thing from Pampered Chef. We are visiting family and I brought my supplies and stamped images with me. They are just tossed in a big ziploc baggie. Not very fancy, huh? But I'm glad you asked as I was wondering what other people used to travel with them?

And I'm off to visit all the recent links and leave some luv there!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #335
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

just_v thanks for the links and both of the cards are just darling I really like the colors you chose for just reflective.

Meg that is a cute Corgi I really like the square paper that you used it works perfectly. Nice job on the shadow as well it looks very realistic.

cvansluys I really like the shine on her hair and how you colored her shoes. Also the scallops you used in the card match her shirt/skirt really well.

As for storage I have to admit I'm pretty partial to my solution which I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread I'll post a link in case someone hasn't read all the thread and is interested. http://craftharsis.blogspot.com/2007...l-toolbox.html
Old 04-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #336
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post

I think it looks great! What image editor are you using? I use Photoshop...I use ADJUST LEVELS to get the image to look right. I set my image in front of me and play with the levels until it looks right, usually just the one click will do it.
HTH
Old 04-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #337
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
As for storage I have to admit I'm pretty partial to my solution which I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread I'll post a link in case someone hasn't read all the thread and is interested. http://craftharsis.blogspot.com/2007...l-toolbox.html
I like your set up. Oh and the name of your blog is pretty cool too!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #338
Crimping Master

Quote:
True. I know, from what I've read, some regret not creating more work with faster mediums like oil, acrylics or anything else for that matter but they love the results they get from colored pencil. Here's one person whose work I admire very much...she rocks.

WOW! Does she ever rock. Some of those look like photographs rather than pencil art. AMAZING. TFS.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #339
Pearl-ExPert

Right now I am just taking a photo with my digital camera using the brightest light I can find.....daylight, daylight bulbs, etc. Then I am editing in Picasa, it is what I have always done. But, in the past I have used my scanner (Epson...always worked great in the past) however, the program is not working with my new computer....so I can't use it until computer expert hubby looks at it. I said that if he cannot get it to work then why have it sitting on my desk collecting dust!

We are going to try to solve it tonight....tried this morning but, all we did was grumble at each other....he is not a morning person and he had to get out the door for work. He wants me to try his scanner but, he does not know that much about his....so looks like we have a lot of trials ahead of us tonight.

So frustrating that I do not know enough about the computer to do it myself!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #340
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Exceptional artist I must say! That is dedication to techinique and finding what works for her. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #341
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
While I don't have any Riley's or Gruffies at the moment, I do have a selection of bears. No mooses, but a few meeces. Personally, I need every single grey and brown in my 120 pc set. I did a few bears a couple of weeks ago -

This Guy was done with Chocolate Brown, Dark Brown and touches of 70% warm grey.

While this guy was done entirely with French Grey in 50%, 70% and 90%.

The French Grey collection has some warm brown tones to it. I reach for them frequently when doing animals.

V
Thanks for your help. That is an adorable image, and now I need to go back to look at yhour sample again to see what the image is!

I am still wondering if anyone is doing the Rileys?
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 04-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #342
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelowna77 View Post
okay girls, help me out here, lol.

So i started with goo gone, that stuff works pretty well and brightens the colours. Then i got some Stevensen OMS, and they do what theyre supposed to, but they seem to gray everything out a bit, the colours become less vivid, etc.
And after a reccomendation in this forum (another thread i think) i picked up some Baby Oil Gel today, and it just doesnt seem to work very well...

i'm wondering if i'm doin anything wrong with the oms or the baby oil gel, why arent they working when they work so well for everyone else? lol. Oh yeah and i have prismas and regular cheapo pencil crayons. any help would be greatly appreciated.
I haven't used goo gone or OMS. On the baby oil front, however, you need just plain, regular baby oil, not the gel. Snag one of those little sample size bottles from the travel stuff isle at Wal-Mart. That should last you quite a while.

From what I've read, you can actually use any oil, even olive oil. I haven't tested that theory, though.

I've not heard of the Stevenson brand of OMS. I wonder if it's a quality issue that's giving you the greys?

V
Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #343
Kookie Creator

Quote:
just_v thanks for the links and both of the cards are just darling I really like the colors you chose for just reflective.

Thanks! I did up 10 images last weekend with that color set. It was a very relaxing color session! More will be going up on my blog later today.

I keep eyeing the twin to your pencil portfolio at my local HL. With the weather going warm and the kiddos wanting to be outside, I know I'm going to want someting more portable than my tin.

Oh, and I think your grumpy little pin cushion is cute!

V
Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #344
Die Cut Diva

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

just_v~

A little off the topic, but I looked at your blog. Have you thought about applying for Dustin Pike's design team? Here's the thread from SCS with the details.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #345
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djuseless View Post
just_v~

A little off the topic, but I looked at your blog. Have you thought about applying for Dustin Pike's design team? Here's the thread from SCS with the details.
Yep, totally. One of the things he wants, though, is a gallery on a forum and I don't have that at the moment. I'm planning on getting one set up here this weekend, just need to be able to sit and poke images as galleries don't give me the image freedom that blogger does. Plus blogger lets me prattle on for as long as I want about my stuff, which are two of the biggest the reasons I use it over having a static gallery.

V
Old 04-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #346
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

I've been working more on creating deeper contrasts in my shadowed areas when I color, with watercoloring too. With Prismas and OMS though, I love layering color and working into those darker areas...a weak area I have is leaving lighter spots. Here's one piece I colored sort of recently that I liked the shadowing on...
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=17703

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 04-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #347
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
I've been working more on creating deeper contrasts in my shadowed areas when I color, with watercoloring too. With Prismas and OMS though, I love layering color and working into those darker areas...a weak area I have is leaving lighter spots. Here's one piece I colored sort of recently that I liked the shadowing on...
Awesome job with the coloring and the freehand work!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #348
Insane Embellisher

Cindy...

Seems like I've had two scanners die because of conflicts with new computers. It frustrates the *%&&$ out of me to mess with it. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #349
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
WOW-ZERS!!! Very beauitful!! You are truly an artist! TFS!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 04-25-2009, 04:41 AM   #350
Insane Embellisher

that is some beautiful coloring on the pots and yes, the shadows are excellent!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:56 AM   #351
Crimping Master

Quote:
Awesome job with the coloring and the freehand work!
Jaw-dropping gorgeous!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #352
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks just_v I'd love to see some of your other samples when you get the chance. :P Yeah he's an ugly cute pincushion.

Dina you hit the nail on the head for me I struggle to make sure I leave lighter areas and don't just solidly color everything in. Absolutely gorgeous card I love the colors and composition.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #353
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Thanks just_v I'd love to see some of your other samples when you get the chance. :P Yeah he's an ugly cute pincushion.
There's more up on my blog. Three digital images this time. I got some coloring time in this morning and snagged the camera. I tried to remember to stop between each step and take pictures. It really slowed me down!

I've pulled them all from the camera, now I just need to get them all edited and write up the blog post to go with them.

V
Old 04-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #354
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Cindy...

Seems like I've had two scanners die because of conflicts with new computers. It frustrates the *%&&$ out of me to mess with it. Good luck!
Thanks for the support!!
Old 04-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #355
Mad Swapper

Does anyone know of another brand besides prisma for this type of pencil? I pretty much have all the prismas and I still don't like the pinks and I would like a really dark blue (almost black). Thanks, this is a great thread.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #356
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

I ordered a variety once from dickblick.com just to fill out my colors and to compare...

Derwent Studio - I found the Studio line hard-leaded and difficult to blend. I think someone mentioned that the Colorsoft line is better. Wish I'd known that before I bought them! Actually they are good for adding layers of color after you have applied OMS, and the hard lead gives you more detail.

Derwent Graphitint - limited colors but super soft thick blendable lead, and deep shades of colors too. (You might check these out for that super dark blue)

Caran D'Ache Pablo - love these. Great variety of color and very blendable, though a little more pricey than the Prismas.

There are some Prisma lightfast colors that are different from the Artist line, too.

There are Lyras and Koh-i-noors - I don't know anything about those ones...Dick Blick carries their own line of pencils as well, but I don't know anything about them.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #357
Pearl-ExPert

Lyras are quite smooth and nice to color with I should take the set I have and try using some OMS sometime.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #358
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
Does anyone know of another brand besides prisma for this type of pencil? I pretty much have all the prismas and I still don't like the pinks and I would like a really dark blue (almost black). Thanks, this is a great thread.
Derwent makes "Inktense" colored pencils. You use water with them and the palette is limited but some of the the colors are dark and very very intense. I use them sometimes as under painting. They really let you define areas of value.

I used them on this. I'm still trying to get the hang of them to be honest with you. I want to work more with them as the stand alone color in my drawings and cards. They are so intense I feel I have to tone them down for some reason.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #359
Compulsive Stamper

i was gonna buy lyras but stamping bella stopped carrying them before i had enough saved up, so i went with prismacolor scholars and theyre perfectly fine for my uses. lol
Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #360
Hardware Hotshot

I love my prisma pencils and want to add to my collection... maybe I missed it, but where is the best place (cheapest and good service) to order single pencils? Love everyones input.