Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #281
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdas View Post
We have strayed a bit from the original post. I have a different question on color, and if it has already been answered, I apologize for the repeat.

What colors do you use for Rileys, Gruffies, etc? How many of the browns do you need? I am thinking that for me the set of 120 is more than I need (all the grey, for example) but I want to be sure to be able to do Riley better than I have in the past.

Second question... I found Mona Lisa brand called paint thinner - I figured that was not the same as OMS.
I can't help you with your first question.

As for the second question: Mona Lisa *is* a brand of odorless mineral spirits. Although the front of the container may say paint thinner, if you look on the back, it says CONTAINS: 100% odorless mineral spirits. This is what I use and I'm very happy with it.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #282
Matboard Maniac

Thank you Cammie & Cindy for your comments on the Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils.

As I live in Australia and both brands of pencils have to be imported here, there's only a few cents difference in the cost per pencil which is insignificant overall. I must say that this thread is very enabling and has prompted me to get serious about coloured pencils again. I remember always treasuring my small set of Derwent pencils as a kid.

I'm also a big fan of the Ranger archival ink with my most used & favourite colours being Jet Black & Sepia. They dont smudge and I always get a clean sharp image when stamping with this ink.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #283
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdas View Post
What colors do you use for Rileys, Gruffies, etc? How many of the browns do you need? I am thinking that for me the set of 120 is more than I need (all the grey, for example) but I want to be sure to be able to do Riley better than I have in the past.
While I don't have any Riley's or Gruffies at the moment, I do have a selection of bears. No mooses, but a few meeces. Personally, I need every single grey and brown in my 120 pc set. I did a few bears a couple of weeks ago -

This Guy was done with Chocolate Brown, Dark Brown and touches of 70% warm grey.

While this guy was done entirely with French Grey in 50%, 70% and 90%.

The French Grey collection has some warm brown tones to it. I reach for them frequently when doing animals.

V
Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #284
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

etsdas I agree with missiowa Mona Lisa is a brand of OMS. I actually started with it and moved over to gamsol both work well. I find I like the gamsol a little better because I feel like it moves the color on the paper a little more easily. Others may feel differently. I haven't ever tried any of the baby oil because I figure there are more toxic things than OMS that I deal with in my house and work on a regular basis. I highly doubt many of the household cleaners people use on a daily basis are all that healthy for them. I just try to use common sense and try not to have my bottle open when it's not necessary.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #285
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDstamper View Post
Hey, it's good to see you on here! I was the other person who "bought" pencils through the rotten seller on ebay and has been emailing back and forth with you! I just checked and my refund is still in "pending" status too. I can't believe all of the people that didn't get their stuff from him and are now posting neg. feedback! I'm betting his ebay career is over! Fortunately,this is the first time I have had a problem on ebay and I've made a lot of transactions there. Good luck waiting and please post some projects when you get the pencils!

Hey Jamie: Nice to finally meet you here on SCS...paypal is still pending. I am still waiting on the other ebay seller to post the auction for the pencils. As soon as he/she posts, I will post a link to anyone else who might be interested in a good deal. I am waiting to put any feedback for this rotten seller until paypal states that the refund has been completed. There were some people who bought from him and never received a refund at all thus all of the negative feedback. His reputation is certainly gone down the drain.

Make sure to post some of your creations too when you get those pencils!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #286
Mad Swapper

Ok, sorry back on the topic...

For those of you who are prisma experts and for those of us just learning...I would love to put a doc together of color combos like for skin color etc. You can send me a pm and I can compile some data to use as a quick reference guide. I am not sure how I am going to put it together but I can decide as soon as I decipher some of the info.

Anyone???
Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #287
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1r601 View Post
Ok, sorry back on the topic...

For those of you who are prisma experts and for those of us just learning...I would love to put a doc together of color combos like for skin color etc. You can send me a pm and I can compile some data to use as a quick reference guide. I am not sure how I am going to put it together but I can decide as soon as I decipher some of the info.

Anyone???
Alma, I wud so appreciate something like this... I have all 120 prismas, but sadly, don't have a lot of experience using them.. I wanna learn! thks
My Store
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #288
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to steph772

I would love a Doc of color combos. I dont really use anything specific. I just grab what I feel goes well.
I did just print off the stock sheet and I dont have near enough pencils! I need to get more shades in my hot little hands.
Where do u think is the cheapest place to buy?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #289
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1r601 View Post
I'm still experimenting with skin tones and hair colors. I made up a sheet of portraits to play with to figure out what I like and what I don't for various combinations. I'm hoping to get to play with that a bit this weekend.

For a lot of things, though, I just snag the paper I'm planning to use for my next batch of cards and my color chart. I figure out my color matches and pull those pencils, then I work off of those until I've got a stack or I'm tired of working with that color set.

V
Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #290
Insane Embellisher

My Prismas are so old that I have a ton of greys --- but they aren't labeled the same as the current grays. They are warm or cool. And then light, very light, medium, and so on.
Does anybody know if they are the same - just new names? or if they are different?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #291
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
My Prismas are so old that I have a ton of greys --- but they aren't labeled the same as the current grays. They are warm or cool. And then light, very light, medium, and so on.
Does anybody know if they are the same - just new names? or if they are different?
Interesting! Are they numbered? It could be that they just renamed them.

V
Old 04-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #292
Insane Embellisher

They are - but they don't match the grey numbers that you had on the color chart!

It doesn't really matter I guess - I'm not going to go out and buy all new grey ones. But if I'm missing a slot, it would be nice to be able to fill it in!

BTW - I'm in awe of the cards you posted above with the greys --- totally makes me see why there are sooo many of that color!!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #293
Kookie Creator

Quote:
They are - but they don't match the grey numbers that you had on the color chart!

It doesn't really matter I guess - I'm not going to go out and buy all new grey ones. But if I'm missing a slot, it would be nice to be able to fill it in!

BTW - I'm in awe of the cards you posted above with the greys --- totally makes me see why there are sooo many of that color!!
I don't blame you! I really love that there are so many shades of grey. If you think about it, 15% of the 120 pc collection is grey tones. That's a pretty hefty chunk.

I love the French Grey group of them. I use those a lot on their own to do bears and mice and stuff. I also use them for shadows as they have a brown tone to them that I like for that. They're great for shading with the brown colors as well for that reason.

To use them, just think of the name. Cool Grey with cool tone colors, Warm Grey with warm tone colors. Cool Greys I use with blues, violets and blue greens. Warm Greys get used with the warm colors like yellows, oranges and the yellowy greens. Makes sense, right? When I'm using them with a color, to add shading, I tend to stay to the very light pencils. The 10% & 20%.

The Cool Greys are also awesome to use just those and create a nice black & white photo effect with your stamps. I also use 90% cool grey when I need black, but black seems too strong in comparison to my other colors. Then I shade it out with black to give it the added richness.

V
Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #294
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

If there is someone out there with experience with hair colors, I would love some tips and color suggestions. Brunettes, Blondes and Redheads please. For the Tildas, I would love to find that little girl hair color that looks like summer wheat.....love that color!

Sorry to hijack the discussion on Greys.....I am paying attention, taking notes, just not needing the info right now.

Hugs
Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #295
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post
If there is someone out there with experience with hair colors, I would love some tips and color suggestions. Brunettes, Blondes and Redheads please. For the Tildas, I would love to find that little girl hair color that looks like summer wheat.....love that color!

Sorry to hijack the discussion on Greys.....I am paying attention, taking notes, just not needing the info right now.

Hugs
I do brunettes all the time. I start with chocolate brown over the entire head and then shade in Dark Brown and finish with Dark Umber. I really like how that combination looks. Blondes give me trouble. I use ginger root a lot on blondes, but the shading and highlights give me fits. Sometimes I like how it all looks, sometimes it just bugs me.

Redheads are also troublesome as their hair color varies hugely. I still need to play with that a bit to find a combo I like. I tend to stick with brunettes as they come out looking good for me.

V
Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #296
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph772 View Post
I would love a Doc of color combos. I dont really use anything specific. I just grab what I feel goes well.
I did just print off the stock sheet and I dont have near enough pencils! I need to get more shades in my hot little hands.
Where do u think is the cheapest place to buy?
This is what I do! If I want to participate in this thread, I might have to start paying more attention to which colors I use. LOL!

But, I don't color too many human figures (realistic or cartoonish) or animals. In fact, I have yet to color something with hair, skin, or fur. Mostly I've colored flowers, seashells, sand dollars, stuff like that. If I want an idea of what colors to use, I'll do a google search for "pansy photograph" or "sand dollar photograph" and find something on the web to guide me. I choose my pencils based on the colors in the photograph, and I'm usually pretty happy with how my images turn out. I'm not concerned with getting an exact match to a real object. This is art, after all.

However, I certainly am wishing I had more than 40 pencils now. And I'm loving the gray pencils I bought open stock, and wish I had those French grays! Enablers!

Last edited by missiowa81; 04-22-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Old 04-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #297
Polyshrink Goddess

Skin colors.....for people and pigs. I start with Cream, then Light Peach, Then a touch of Tuscan Red in a few darker places, then Pink Rose around like the cheeks and outline. Maybe Beige to mix over areas I used Tuscan Red. Great thread...I need to get more French Greys.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #298
Kookie Creator

I was looking at the gallery and saw a nice colored card, so I went to her blog and I found this on Nikki's blog:

Skin – PC928 Blush pink
Cheeks – PC929 Pink or for a rosier glow PC925 Crimson lake
Wood, earth or to give a distressed or dirty look - PC1082 Chocolate with PC946 Dark Brown for shading
Jean clothing – PC901 Indigo Blue
Blonde hair – PC1012 Jasmine with PC1034 Goldenrod for Shading
Brunette’s – PC945 Sienna Brown and/or PC943 Burnt Ochre – PC946 Dark Brown for shading
Red heads – PC944 – Terra Cotta and PC946 Dark Brown for shading
Metal – PC949 Metallic Silver
Sky – PC1086 Sky Blue Light
Grass, leaves – colour used dependent on matching with dp - PC1005 Limepeel, PC988 Marine Green, PC911 Olive Green, PC1090 Kelp Green, PC908 Dark Green
My favourite colours – PC994 Process Red, PC925 Crimson lake (used lots at Christmas) , PC992 Light Aqua and PC905 Aquamarine
Old 04-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #299
Rubber Obsessor

Ladies,

I have learned so much from you and I am very appreciative of this thread. I got my 120 set of pencils and I finally sharpened them all. I have been coloring today and I love them. About 9 out of the 120 broke while sharpening them. Does that mean I got a bad batch?

Has anyone matched these colors to the Close to My Heart colors?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Candie
Old 04-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #300
Rubber Obsessor

It is me again. On a side note I have ordered some bella stamps and sugar nellies and last month ordered some SU. Are there any other must haves? I am looking at the Riley Stamps. I can't wait to color these images.

Candie
Old 04-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #301
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug4233 View Post
It is me again. On a side note I have ordered some bella stamps and sugar nellies and last month ordered some SU. Are there any other must haves? I am looking at the Riley Stamps. I can't wait to color these images.

Candie

I can usually find SOMETHING I want from every company! I don't have all I want by any means -- but here are the ones where I have wish lists going:

MFT (my favorite things)
Pink Gem
Modern Sugar Blvd
2RedBananas
The Greeting Farm - esp. the anya and the dogs!!
Stampavie (Sarah Kay)
Whimsy Designs
In Style Stamps
Hero Arts
Stampington
Stampendous
and I even today have decided that the new Lily set is too cute from Pink Cat Studio so she's gone on my list!
Hampton Arts
Inkadinkado
Paper Makeup Stamps

the list could really go on and on!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #302
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I can usually find SOMETHING I want from every company! I don't have all I want by any means -- but here are the ones where I have wish lists going:

MFT (my favorite things)
Pink Gem
Modern Sugar Blvd
2RedBananas
The Greeting Farm - esp. the anya and the dogs!!
Stampavie (Sarah Kay)
Whimsy Designs
In Style Stamps
Hero Arts
Stampington
Stampendous
and I even today have decided that the new Lily set is too cute from Pink Cat Studio so she's gone on my list!
Hampton Arts
Inkadinkado
Paper Makeup Stamps

Ditto on the Lily set from Pink Cat Studios.....as well as Sweet Pea.....cute, cute, cute!!!

I bought a cute whimiscal fairy from Whippersnapper....that I have yet to try out.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #303
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggonecrafts View Post
I was looking at the gallery and saw a nice colored card, so I went to her blog and I found this on Nikki's blog:

Skin – PC928 Blush pink
Cheeks – PC929 Pink or for a rosier glow PC925 Crimson lake
Wood, earth or to give a distressed or dirty look - PC1082 Chocolate with PC946 Dark Brown for shading
Jean clothing – PC901 Indigo Blue
Blonde hair – PC1012 Jasmine with PC1034 Goldenrod for Shading
Brunette’s – PC945 Sienna Brown and/or PC943 Burnt Ochre – PC946 Dark Brown for shading
Red heads – PC944 – Terra Cotta and PC946 Dark Brown for shading
Metal – PC949 Metallic Silver
Sky – PC1086 Sky Blue Light
Grass, leaves – colour used dependent on matching with dp - PC1005 Limepeel, PC988 Marine Green, PC911 Olive Green, PC1090 Kelp Green, PC908 Dark Green
My favourite colours – PC994 Process Red, PC925 Crimson lake (used lots at Christmas) , PC992 Light Aqua and PC905 Aquamarine
Oh my goodness, thanks so much for posting this....it is a huge help!!! I do not have any sets, just bits and pieces from my dad's sets, Stampin Up!, etc. So, I am just keeping the good ones and adding as I can afford to do.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #304
Insane Embellisher

Ah yes - WhipperSnapper! Can't forget them!

And of course, Our Daily Bread, Gina K, Clear Dollar Stamps
Old 04-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #305
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. I can't wait to check them out.

Candie
Old 04-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #306
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Oh totally. I would definitely add Whiff of Joy to the mix, though and Sugar Nellie has some great lines. I totally love The Greeting Farm.

Don't forget digital images either. I can't bring myself to call them stamps, but that doesn't stop me from loving them. Dustin Pike is a favorite there.

V
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #307
Gallery Gazer

Eat Cake Graphics stamps are just waiting to be colored!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #308
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Ladies,

I have learned so much from you and I am very appreciative of this thread. I got my 120 set of pencils and I finally sharpened them all. I have been coloring today and I love them. About 9 out of the 120 broke while sharpening them. Does that mean I got a bad batch?

Candie
That is a lot of them to break of course I never tried to sharpen that many at once so maybe the percentage isn't so bad. That's the chance you take buying a set from what I've heard. I've really only had one go bad as far as it being totally useless. I bought/buy mine individually just because they are available.

Oh I can think think of other stamps that are fun to color too.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #309
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post

Oh I can think think of other stamps that are fun to color too.
Would those be Hambo stamps MrHambo??? I didn't have time to browse everything but that baby crack one is cute!! And I already saw some in your etsy store that I'm going to have to get!!

And thanks for the Eat Cake Graphics - I hadn't seen those before and the dog stamps ---- OH GOSH!! Adored them to pieces!!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #310
Pearl-ExPert

Wait! No one said Stampin' Up!.....well, they do have some but, not anywhere near cute as the ones mentioned above.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:48 AM   #311
Insane Embellisher

I KNOW - I can't believe I left off SU - they are one of my TOP FIVE favs!!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #312
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I KNOW - I can't believe I left off SU - they are one of my TOP FIVE favs!!
You are forgiven.....I still love you!! LOL!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #313
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
This is what I do! If I want to participate in this thread, I might have to start paying more attention to which colors I use. LOL!

But, I don't color too many human figures (realistic or cartoonish) or animals. In fact, I have yet to color something with hair, skin, or fur. Mostly I've colored flowers, seashells, sand dollars, stuff like that. If I want an idea of what colors to use, I'll do a google search for "pansy photograph" or "sand dollar photograph" and find something on the web to guide me. I choose my pencils based on the colors in the photograph, and I'm usually pretty happy with how my images turn out. I'm not concerned with getting an exact match to a real object. This is art, after all.

However, I certainly am wishing I had more than 40 pencils now. And I'm loving the gray pencils I bought open stock, and wish I had those French grays! Enablers!
I agree with you completely. I just do what looks correct, it IS art!

I also wish I had more colors also. I have been making my color chart, so Im all ready to buy. Now I need to go to the store!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #314
Pearl-ExPert

I really only have SU stamps. I just recently started buying other brands. Like the clear stamps, a few bellas, one riley, one papertrey. I have far too many SU stamps. I have been venturing out though, because all those beautiful stamps I see are getting far to hard to resist!

I will color anything though. My kids know they dont have to ask twice if Mommy wants to color a page with them in their coloring books!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #315
Kookie Creator

It's a great list! Something for everyone! I'm stalking a couple of them as they've promised some new things in lines I quite love.

I'm going to change the subject now. Let's talk solvents for a minute. I've been doing some pretty extensive reading in a couple of art forums for color pencil artists. There's been some very interesting threads on using solvents with colored pencil. For those of you trying to figure out how this applies, Gamsol or Odorless Mineral Spirits is a solvent.

I was actually rather surprised to find that artists, who use colored pencils in ways that frankly make my head spin, are not at all impressed with using OMS. Now that's not saying they don't like the effect. They do. What they don't like is the idea of using a toxic substance on a regular basis.

I have sworn by baby oil from my first stump purchase. One of the reasons for that is that I have a preschooler and a toddler, which means a house full of curious fingers. I probably would have sworn by baby oil even if I didn't have children as OMS gives me a headache. So reading all this stuff from actual artists has reaffirmed my desire to not bring OMS into my house.

Okay, so now that I've scared the bejeebies out of some of you, I will let you off the hook. The art forums recommend two non-toxic citrus oil based versions of OMS - Eco-House Citrus Thinner and Zest-It. Not only are they non-toxic, but they're totally eco-friendly! The examples they showed were amazing, but very similar to what we've been getting with our various solutions. Zest-It actually bottles their product labeled "Pencil & Parchment Blend".

So out of curiosity and a need to empty some funds from a sale of crafty stuff out of paypal, I ordered a bottle. I ordered the largest I could afford in hopes of getting good longevity out of my purchase. I decided to go with the artists preferred Zest It. I got on Friday and I can honestly say that I absolutely LOVE it! I thought my colors blended great with baby oil, but the positively FLOAT on this stuff. I can really get fantastic results.

Eco-House is available through Dick Blick, while Zest-It is only available via an international shipment from the UK at J&T's Art and Calligraphy

Price -
Eco-House (16 oz) from Dick Blick - 17.94
Zest-It (250ml) from J&T - $19.31

For those trying to do math in their heads on the bottle sizes, 250ml is a bit over 16 oz. Overall, the price difference is pretty insignificant. Of course, shipping is what bites you on both of those. If you have something else you need from Dick Blick, you can get a better value there. It always bugs the heck out of me to pay more for shipping than for what I'm buying.

So if you've been wanting to try OMS but don't like the idea of messing with a toxic solvent, you've got options.

Have you tried either of these? If so, what did you think???

V
Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #316
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the review on the Zest. It sounds great. I have just tried baby oil and like it. But if you say Zest is even better I really want to try it.

What paper do you recommend?

Thanks,
Candie
Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #317
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Thanks for the review on the Zest. It sounds great. I have just tried baby oil and like it. But if you say Zest is even better I really want to try it.
What paper do you recommend?
I've really only had a couple of days with the Zest-It, but I do very much love it and highly recommend it. Plus, it smells nice.

Paper- I'm a huge fan on Gina K's Pure Luxury cardstock. I use their base weight for all my coloring. It's got this great thick crisp feel to it and as an added bonus, it embosses fabulously with nestabilities.

V
Old 04-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #318
Polyshrink Goddess

It's funny, a lot of colored pencil artists do not use any solvents and will make it a point to tell you so. They rely on layer after layer after layer of color and burnishing to achieve the affects.

I don't use much but I use OMS when I do.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #319
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
It's funny, a lot of colored pencil artists do not use any solvents and will make it a point to tell you so. They rely on layer after layer after layer of color and burnishing to achieve the affects.
Oh totally. I'm learning some really amazing techniques reading through their stuff and viewing their art.

I've decided that I'm a lazy artist. I'd rather stamp an image than draw one out myself, and use baby oil or Zest-it to blend rather than layers of pencil.

V
Old 04-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #320
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

just_v what colored pencil forums have you been reading? I haven't ever really read up on any of that and it would be cool to read some from the pros. I too am a lazy artist and enjoy just stamping out the image and coloring with my cheater method. :P

Again I slightly disagree with the toxin stuff but that's because I'm aware that we are inundated with toxins everywhere even when we don't realize for example here is a pilot study from the program Our Cousin the Killer Whale by Jean-Cousteau http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6z5Rnb-As8 which talks about some of the toxins that they have started to notice in Killer Whales a.k.a. Orcas the individuals on the human team agreed to be tested and had a variety of different lifestyles which is unfortunately not shown in this clip.

But even so I do agree with being as careful as you can. Zest-it may be a good alternative to what I'm using now I'll have to check it out. Does it leave an oily residue like baby oil does?