Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #2961
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh54 View Post
YIKES!!! I just read my post and it sounds terrible!!! I'm not asking for "adult" books. What I meant was more intricate or more grown up coloring images...like botanicals, landscapes, something a grown up would want to color. Am I making sense?
Good stamp images for coloring can be found from many companies. For example: Flourishes, Impression Obsession and North Woods. All have great florals and botanicals. Gorgeous landscapes can be found at Impression Obsession and North Woods. When looking at Imp. Obsession look especially at Gary Robertson's images. Here are some links for you:
Flourishes
North Woods
Impression Obsession
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #2962
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
Good stamp images for coloring can be found from many companies. For example: Flourishes, Impression Obsession and North Woods. All have great florals and botanicals. Gorgeous landscapes can be found at Impression Obsession and North Woods. When looking at Imp. Obsession look especially at Gary Robertson's images. Here are some links for you:
Flourishes
North Woods
Impression Obsession
Thank you so much. I see several stamps I would like to use!!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #2963
Crimping Master

What's everyone up to? I am taking a break from crafting/blogging...etc.. My mojo has taken a vacation I think..feel very uninspired at the moment..LOL
Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #2964
Mad Swapper

i actually just taught a colored pencil class this weekend in baltimore. it was fun!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #2965
Rubber Obsessor

My inspiration has been less than "inspiring", too, lol. Had my best friend's three kids for four days and nights while she did training, so I've been really busy with them and had no time even if I had some creative energy. Don't know what my problem is...maybe I need to finish a couple quilts I have sitting here and see if doing something completely different helps.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #2966
Crimping Master

anyone have any good tutorials for hair and skin..colors..and combos? I used to have some stuff saved in my faves..but when my lap top died about a year or so ago I lost them..I have a couple of digis to play with..and was looking for a few tips on coloring hair..hair..and color..together are the bane of my existence..
Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #2967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkin One View Post
anyone have any good tutorials for hair and skin..colors..and combos? I used to have some stuff saved in my faves..but when my lap top died about a year or so ago I lost them..I have a couple of digis to play with..and was looking for a few tips on coloring hair..hair..and color..together are the bane of my existence..
I have some notes on colors in my Prisma Journal, I'll get them for you.

Are you on Pinterest? OMG I just searched colored pencils and woweee! Cool Cool stuff, like you know when we wear them down to nubs and finally throw them away? Somebody made the coolest earrings out of them!! I started a board for colored pencils. Link is on my blog you gotta see this stuff. I can SO see you wearing those earrings. And there is a fence that I think I could see Dini building.... I'm just sayin'
Old 05-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #2968

Do y'all think this colored pencil holder would be good for prismas? I'm running out of room in my leather zippered thingy.
small + friendly: No-Sew Colored Pencil Roll
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #2969
Proud Fan Club Member

Very cool! I just got a set of 72 prismas and I want to make one for mine. Thanks for the link
Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #2970
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via MSN to loulou31

I have just loaded a card on my blog which has an image that I coloured using Prismas and Polychromos on Watercolour Paper. I really liked the grab the watercolour paper provided although I don't think it gave a good finish for the blending. I quite like the pencil look that it achieved though. I would love some feedback from you ladies as you use pencils loads more than me and I would love to know what you think of my colouring, and be honest
You can find it here......
Louise Forsyth - Punknscrap: OMG - Uninked Stamp Stash
Thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #2971
Crimping Master

loulou that card is great! Your coloring looks very nice as well..it almost ahs a water color look to it! Very very nice. I didn't get a chance to check out the rest of your blog..my kids are nuts today..LOL but I will go back.

Do you ever use regular CS or smoother drawing papers to color? I think you be be well suited for that AS WELL as using water colors..( even wc pencils!)
You are very talented
TFS

Last edited by Inkin One; 05-31-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #2972
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via MSN to loulou31

Quote:
loulou that card is great! Your coloring looks very nice as well..it almost ahs a water color look to it! Very very nice. I didn't get a chance to check out the rest of your blog..my kids are nuts today..LOL but I will go back.

Do you ever use regular CS or smoother drawing papers to color? I think you be be well suited for that AS WELL as using water colors..( even wc pencils!)
You are very talented
TFS
Awwww, thank you! I have used smooth papers in the past but I find that I have quite a heavy hand and my blending never looks very good.
I think the rough/rustic look may suit the way I colour a little better. If you do go back to my blog the images I have coloured with prisma pencils are all tagged so you could have a look and see what I mean about my blending. Thanks loads for taking the time to have a look
Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #2973
Matboard Maniac

I love this forum! I recently started coloring with prismacolor watercolor pencils and am just learning how to blend. I find this site very helpful.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #2974
Crimping Master

OK Louise I went and had a gander at you blog this morning! You are quite talented.

I didn't notice that you were heavy handed with the pencils at all. I think you are limiting yourself in color range because you think you are heavy handed. Does that make sense? I seems to me that on smooth paper..you *think* you are heavy handed so you aren't using as many colors to get more depth and texture..like with hair..clothing..etc. My advice is to start LIGHT..just "tickle" the paper..add at least two colors then blend with your gamsol or what ever you use. Then continue to add and blend. I also noticed that you don't seem to put the shadow around your images on smooth paper..I think if you start doing that..either in a non-photo blue or yellow ( what ever the image calls for) Maybe that is one of the differences you are seeing too?? You don't have that "pop" on the smooth paper.

Either way I certainly think you have blending down pat.on either paper. Just start light and blend and gradually go darker..you will get more depth in your coloring which is what I think you are lacking. It is hard to go from different textures and weights of paper..I know. I have tried probably every paper out there at one point or another..LOL I do think you would do very well with smoother paper..and achieve more texture with the pencils instead of the paper..
Hope some of this helps! Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else..
Old 06-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #2975
Kookie Creator

I have been reading this thread for days now (I'm still not quite caught up) and you guys have so inspired me! I have some Cra-Z-Art pencils and I pulled out my bottle of baby oil and started experimenting this weekend. I am in love! I need to work on depth/shadows a lot but I know it's a process and even so the pictures are looking good enough for me to use in cards. I made one today for my husband's grandparents' 65th anniversary and my husband was impressed, so that's something!

It was so awesome, and has opened up so many new possibilities, I decided to splurge and blow my crafting budget for a set of prismas. Hubby said since Dick Blick had them for such a good price that was fine with him. They should get here next week!

In the meantime, thanks so much for sharing. Now I need to keep watching tutorials.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #2976
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Welcome!! Feel free to jump in with questions. You will looooooove the Prismacolors - so much more creamy and vivid than the pencils you've been using, and the pigment really moves well with the baby oil.

Blick did have a good special this week - I finally placed my big pencil order, so I have some new Inktense and Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils coming, and some Prismacolors to fill out my backup stash... yeah, and a couple of other things too...!

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #2977

Quote:
Originally Posted by togrady View Post
I have been reading this thread for days now (I'm still not quite caught up) and you guys have so inspired me! I have some Cra-Z-Art pencils and I pulled out my bottle of baby oil and started experimenting this weekend. I am in love! I need to work on depth/shadows a lot but I know it's a process and even so the pictures are looking good enough for me to use in cards. I made one today for my husband's grandparents' 65th anniversary and my husband was impressed, so that's something!

It was so awesome, and has opened up so many new possibilities, I decided to splurge and blow my crafting budget for a set of prismas. Hubby said since Dick Blick had them for such a good price that was fine with him. They should get here next week!

In the meantime, thanks so much for sharing. Now I need to keep watching tutorials.
I'm with Dini, you're going to love your new toys!! I love the way baby oil smells I also like to use Gamsol. I learned so many great tips from this thread!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #2978

Eek - don't tell my hubby... I placed a bit on a [gently used] lot of 40 Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils yesterday and won! I have the full set of Derwents, but the Albrecht Durers are so much more vibrant, and my long-range plan is to replace my Derwents with them as they get used up... so... um... I am a little ahead of my plan right now! That can be good, right? The lot ended up just slightly over $1 per pencil.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #2979
Kookie Creator

Dina - Don't get me started on MORE new pencils! XD

I bid on a set of Prismas on ebay before purchasing mine from Dick Blick. It said new and unopened, but I felt nothing but relief when I got outbid. I guess even at a 'deal' I prefer knowing that they really are what they say, and if there's a problem DB may be able to help me out. I'm an ebay newbie and it just makes me nervous!

But! Congrats on your win. I won't tell a soul (other than the whole internet), promise.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #2980
Kookie Creator

OK, so I started out reading this forum at the beginning, and am now up around the mid 40s. NOW I start seeing all the complaints about the 'new' Prismas, and people switching to other brands, like Derwents.

My order from Dick Blick should be here tomorrow, and if I actually don't want Prismas I'd like to know so I can send it back unopened. Do you guys recommend some other brand more highly with the new manufacturer? I can't afford to do both, but at least I got free shipping so I can pay the freight for the return without too much mental difficulty. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #2981
Kookie Creator

And as I KEEP reading (note to self - finish this thread up soon) I see that opinions really vary and it looks like Dina K at least still likes her prismas. So if you all are sick to death of discussing this, feel free to ignore me and I'll just try out what comes and see how I do. Thanks! XD
Old 06-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #2982
Crimping Master

Quote:
And as I KEEP reading (note to self - finish this thread up soon) I see that opinions really vary and it looks like Dina K at least still likes her prismas. So if you all are sick to death of discussing this, feel free to ignore me and I'll just try out what comes and see how I do. Thanks! XD
I will be happy to weigh in for ya! I have always loved my Prismas. Always. Still do. I have the full set of Faber's Polychromos but prefer my prismas. I know Dini likes the polychromos but I may not be used to them yet. They are certainly a harder lead and to me, need a heavier hand. I have used Prismas since HS and in college..( that is a cumulative 25 or so years ) I love the smoothness and the creamy quality they have and haven't found it in another pencil. I know a lot of people have had issues with the ones made in Mexico, but I haven't..or it doesn't bother me that bad. Yes, I have had some break..but I also had them break when they were still in the US. I think, really, it is a pencil and certain amount of breakage is to be expected. I haven't really noticed issue with the quality either..and again it may just be that don't pay that much attention to certain things.
I would advise you to get the largest set you can afford and then add to it from open stock. Blicks own pencils line is comperable to Prismas..but that is about the only one I personally have found that I will agree to. I know a lot of people have used and liked the Crazy art brand but to me they aren't professional quality ( light fast..archival etc) and that is what I must have for any comission work. I just stick to my good pencils and go from there. ..( that is not to say that if you use those and love them that your work is inferior to mine at all..it is just a personal preference of mine.)
Oh and this is the Prisma thread..we never tire of talking about them ! LOL..ask anything and someone will be happy to help!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #2983

OHmygoodness, we NEVER get tired of talking about pencils!

I sooooooooo agree with Jessica about the Cra-Z-Art pencils.... I actually bought a set just out of curiosity and the kids don't even like them! LOL.. They are a scholastic grade pencil, and the wood is very poor quality. Nice color range, and they're inexpensive as a starter set... but definitely not artist quality.

I think what I like about the harder lead of the Polys is that they allow you to layer lots of colors with a lighter hand. I DO miss my Prismas though... we are going to have a happy reunion in 5 more weeks!! It always strikes me funny that I am on a marker DT when I prefer pencils and watercoloring... but whatever. I have never had blending issues with the Mexico pencils - the only problem I've had was a pencil with a loose lead (the whole lead pulled out). While you're waiting for them, find yourself an electric or battery-operated pencil sharpener, because Prismacolors do not come sharpened, and you will strain all your coloring muscles if you have to sharpen them all by hand.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #2984
Kookie Creator

Thank you both - now I feel so much better and am back to being excited again! I do have an electric sharpener but I don't know if it is "good quality" per se. The Panasonic one I have seen mentioned is discontinued so does anyone have a more recent recommendation?

As for Cra-Z-Art, they do blend... A little. The colors are just not at all vibrant. I still made a card with them and all of my (non crafty) friends and family were impressed. Let's see what they say when I am using better pencils with some practice under my belt!

Unrelated and belated, congratulations on your new line through IO Stamps, Dina!!! The JM Barrie quote is one of my very favorites and at least one of the others is in my old list of card quotes. The images are gorgeous as well! I blew my craft budget on Prismas so it will have to wait a bit but I have a new wish list going.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #2985
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
OHmygoodness, we NEVER get tired of talking about pencils!

I sooooooooo agree with Jessica about the Cra-Z-Art pencils.... I actually bought a set just out of curiosity and the kids don't even like them! LOL.. They are a scholastic grade pencil, and the wood is very poor quality. Nice color range, and they're inexpensive as a starter set... but definitely not artist quality.

I think what I like about the harder lead of the Polys is that they allow you to layer lots of colors with a lighter hand. I DO miss my Prismas though... we are going to have a happy reunion in 5 more weeks!! It always strikes me funny that I am on a marker DT when I prefer pencils and watercoloring... but whatever. I have never had blending issues with the Mexico pencils - the only problem I've had was a pencil with a loose lead (the whole lead pulled out). While you're waiting for them, find yourself an electric or battery-operated pencil sharpener, because Prismacolors do not come sharpened, and you will strain all your coloring muscles if you have to sharpen them all by hand.

That cracked me up! My dd knows she can't use my pencils BUT she wants too LOL..she says " they color much better" HA!

I think often times, people use inferior products and get discouraged with their coloring when in reality it is the materials..NOT always the person. I know it happens with anything..from baking and cooking to drawing and coloring. I know not every one can afford a lot of everything at once ( ie, the whole set of Prismas), but when you are talking pencils, but GOOD, buy small to start and slowly add on.

You know Dini , I think having the harder lead in the Poly's is what throws me . LOL. I do like them and think they have a fantastic color range...and also seem to reach for them more with fine detail work because the lead IS harder. I just really need to spend some more time getting to know them I guess .

I personally, will be glad for you to be home too..LOL..I miss your "stuff" for you HA!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #2986
Kookie Creator

They're here!

*bounce*

My Prismas arrived and they are BEAUTIFUL and they smell so good. Even better, they came SHARPENED. I was so ready to spend an hour sharpening, and now I don't have to. I can't wait until the kiddo takes a nap (he better) so I can play. Oh man I am so excited.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #2987

Really?! That is so awesome. I am sending waves of sleepiness his little way!

And I love that you smelled them. I never get tired of that either.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #2988
Kookie Creator

I decided that even though he isn't asleep, I am transferring them to my new case. I could probably color too but it won't be peaceful and I want it to be just right. So I spent a little time on the ongoing project of organizing my craft room and I think it's... workable! I still have a few stacks of scraps to sort through but otherwise it's ready for me to get back to crafting. And I have a lovely little file just for images to color. Whew.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #2989
Crimping Master

Anytime you can play with your pencils will be good! I really need to do some organization in my studio but...summer keeps callling my name LOL
Old 06-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #2990
Proud Fan Club Member

Hello Prismacolor lovers!!
I know there are Copic matches to PTI colors but is there a chart anywhere that matches Prismas to PTI colors? Inquiring minds want to know
Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #2991
Crimping Master

You know, I have no idea. I don't use a lot of PTI stuff..mostly just some papers and a few stamps but maybe if you start a thread in "tool & product" thought asking you might get more responses. Good luck..I too love to have stuff match.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #2992
Proud Fan Club Member

Well I stayed up last night matching up PTI cardstock and pencils myself and I think I did pretty good. Maybe I'll post it in a new thread.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #2993
Kookie Creator

If you do, be sure to link it here - this is a great place to find lots of Prisma resources - I am still reading through all the old posts.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #2994

Quote:
I will be happy to weigh in for ya! I have always loved my Prismas. Always. Still do. I have the full set of Faber's Polychromos but prefer my prismas. I know Dini likes the polychromos but I may not be used to them yet. They are certainly a harder lead and to me, need a heavier hand. I have used Prismas since HS and in college..( that is a cumulative 25 or so years ) I love the smoothness and the creamy quality they have and haven't found it in another pencil. I know a lot of people have had issues with the ones made in Mexico, but I haven't..or it doesn't bother me that bad. Yes, I have had some break..but I also had them break when they were still in the US. I think, really, it is a pencil and certain amount of breakage is to be expected. I haven't really noticed issue with the quality either..and again it may just be that don't pay that much attention to certain things.
I would advise you to get the largest set you can afford and then add to it from open stock. Blicks own pencils line is comperable to Prismas..but that is about the only one I personally have found that I will agree to. I know a lot of people have used and liked the Crazy art brand but to me they aren't professional quality ( light fast..archival etc) and that is what I must have for any comission work. I just stick to my good pencils and go from there. ..( that is not to say that if you use those and love them that your work is inferior to mine at all..it is just a personal preference of mine.)
Oh and this is the Prisma thread..we never tire of talking about them ! LOL..ask anything and someone will be happy to help!
Yep, I second what Jessica said!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #2995

Quote:
I decided that even though he isn't asleep, I am transferring them to my new case. I could probably color too but it won't be peaceful and I want it to be just right. So I spent a little time on the ongoing project of organizing my craft room and I think it's... workable! I still have a few stacks of scraps to sort through but otherwise it's ready for me to get back to crafting. And I have a lovely little file just for images to color. Whew.
I can't wait to see what you do with them !!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #2996

I got my Albrecht Durer pencils today... and some new watercolors to play with from Shinhan! Looks like my Blick order won't be here until Monday though - and my OCRD (Obsessive Compulsive Rainbow Disorder) is screaming for me to fit these pencils into the watercolor pencil case.... NOW!!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #2997
Kookie Creator

Well guys, I have been playing with my Prismas and so far I LOVE them. I wish I was better at shading, and have been watching tutorials and practicing. My two main issues are - #1 not leaving enough white space. I find it hard to leave areas blank, and them my highlights are all muddy. #2 Knowing exactly where to put those highlights/shadows. I know it all just takes practice!

Incidentally, I was planning on putting my Cra-Z-Arts in the case with the Prismas and instead I put them in my 4 year old's craft stuff. NO comparison!

I haven't done a card with these yet because I needed to make one for my hubby for Father's Day, and I was brave and posted it to my gallery as well as to the Mojo sketch site. I don't feel like it's all that spectacular, but I have to start back up with card making and you gotta start somewhere!

Dina - I am with you on the OCRD! I put all my pencils in the case in Prisma order and was like... these are not in the right order at all! I printed off your chart last night so I can rearrange them and see if I like it better, plus it will allow me to color in the boxes so I have a reference for paper matching and stuff. Thank you for sharing it! And congrats on your new purchases. I am not allowed to buy anything else for a while! LOL
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #2998

Quote:
Well guys, I have been playing with my Prismas and so far I LOVE them. I wish I was better at shading, and have been watching tutorials and practicing. My two main issues are - #1 not leaving enough white space. I find it hard to leave areas blank, and them my highlights are all muddy. #2 Knowing exactly where to put those highlights/shadows. I know it all just takes practice!

Incidentally, I was planning on putting my Cra-Z-Arts in the case with the Prismas and instead I put them in my 4 year old's craft stuff. NO comparison!

I haven't done a card with these yet because I needed to make one for my hubby for Father's Day, and I was brave and posted it to my gallery as well as to the Mojo sketch site. I don't feel like it's all that spectacular, but I have to start back up with card making and you gotta start somewhere!

Dina - I am with you on the OCRD! I put all my pencils in the case in Prisma order and was like... these are not in the right order at all! I printed off your chart last night so I can rearrange them and see if I like it better, plus it will allow me to color in the boxes so I have a reference for paper matching and stuff. Thank you for sharing it! And congrats on your new purchases. I am not allowed to buy anything else for a while! LOL
So happy for you and glad you are having fun with your new pencils
You can always subtract color with an electric eraser. You can also use a white pencil to add highlights.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #2999

They are so pretty in the case.........! I will take pictures. I had to take a few of the Derwents out to make the new Durers fit... but I'm happy to have more colors filled out!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #3000

So pretty in the case
We must be related!!!