Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #2921
Forum Fanatic

Dini the tutorial is wonderful! I am always admiring your wonderful talent on your blog!

I have to say- I need visuals- I need a color chart for Touch vs Copic color chart...... I like that my markers are refillable : )

I recently purchased pastel pencils- and have no clue what to do with them.....LOL I saw a post where someone used them and it looked fabulous!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #2922
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
W-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l......... I couldn't bring everything... the Prismas take up 2 large leather cases, and I knew I had the Polys waiting for me here - thought we'd take the time to get to know each other.
Ok..So..what can you tell us about them? I have a 120 piece set and frankly I have not used them enough to have an opinion of them ( hangs head). Are they really different from Prismas? It seemed to me, they weren't as thick? That you really had to layer some color before hitting it with OMS..or am I thinking of a different pencil? I have a lot..
Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #2923
Stazon Splitcoast

Dina, Thanks for your great tutorial this week. Using colored pencils is my favorite coloring medium and while I like blending with gamsol, I don't always do it that way. I originally learned to just color with pencils and I like going back to that. I'm not sure I did the mane and tail justice on this image, but it was fun trying:

Gabriella's Birthday by Kathy LeDonne - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #2924
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy LeDonne View Post
Dina, Thanks for your great tutorial this week. Using colored pencils is my favorite coloring medium and while I like blending with gamsol, I don't always do it that way. I originally learned to just color with pencils and I like going back to that. I'm not sure I did the mane and tail justice on this image, but it was fun trying:

Gabriella's Birthday by Kathy LeDonne - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
What a lovely card! Your pencil technique is very good, the soft transitions give it a pretty dreamy look.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #2925
Embossing Fanatic

Kathy your card is adorable.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #2926
Embossing Fanatic

Dina,

Your video was great. I have a large collection of Copics but am just starting to muddle my way around with the Prismacolors. I purchased the set of 132 pencils and really didn't know what I was doing. You have helped me out a lot.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #2927
Matboard Maniac

Default Great Tutorial, Dina!

Dina,

Your fish sent me back to my pencils for some coloring time. I don't have a ton of stamps with colorable images (something I need to correct, to be $ure), so I ended up with something goofy. I had great fun with the whole project however, and am itching to do some more.

Here's what I made: Tea Caddy, telescoping card
I blogged about it here: Sorry for the self promotion, but I'm so excited, I wanted to share.

Thanks!
Florence
Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #2928

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencebeads View Post
Dina,

Your fish sent me back to my pencils for some coloring time. I don't have a ton of stamps with colorable images (something I need to correct, to be $ure), so I ended up with something goofy. I had great fun with the whole project however, and am itching to do some more.

Here's what I made: Tea Caddy, telescoping card
I blogged about it here: Sorry for the self promotion, but I'm so excited, I wanted to share.

Thanks!
Florence
That is quite beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing
Old 04-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #2929
Crimping Master

Girls..we are awful quiet around here..what's everyone up to these days?

I am exhausted on this first Monday of my childrens spring break.My family came down to visit and we had a FANTASTIC ( but tiring) time..I got to spend 4 glorious days with the sweetest great nephew a great- aunt could ever have! ( No I am not "old enough" to have a great -nephew..BUT..my sister is old enough to have a grandson BUWAHAHHAHAH..( That is a family joke..LOL.

So today I have not gotten dressed at all..just did up some laundry( love to hang clothes on the line) ..cleaned the house back up a bit...and lurked around here..and some of my regular blogs..but I must say that as inspired as I have been...I didn't even look at my own stamps today LOL.

On another note..my niece & niece -in-law...were bit with the stamping bug this weekend! My neice always plays and colors while at my house ( she is 20 ! LOL) but my nil has never done it before..BUT LOVED IT! My sister and I warned them how addicitng it was..to not start it at 9 at night..HAHHAH..wanna know what time they went to bed? LOL..then they did it off and on the rest of the next two days too LOL..I see some good Christmas gifts in their future..( I do however think my nephew could strangle me HA!) We had so much fun ( & food) the past few days..I miss them and they just left this morning..

Ok ..that got a little long..sorry..I just knew you ladies would totally apprieciate enabling new stameprs..LOL
Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #2930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkin One View Post
Girls..we are awful quiet around here..what's everyone up to these days?

I am exhausted on this first Monday of my childrens spring break.My family came down to visit and we had a FANTASTIC ( but tiring) time..I got to spend 4 glorious days with the sweetest great nephew a great- aunt could ever have! ( No I am not "old enough" to have a great -nephew..BUT..my sister is old enough to have a grandson BUWAHAHHAHAH..( That is a family joke..LOL.

So today I have not gotten dressed at all..just did up some laundry( love to hang clothes on the line) ..cleaned the house back up a bit...and lurked around here..and some of my regular blogs..but I must say that as inspired as I have been...I didn't even look at my own stamps today LOL.

On another note..my niece & niece -in-law...were bit with the stamping bug this weekend! My neice always plays and colors while at my house ( she is 20 ! LOL) but my nil has never done it before..BUT LOVED IT! My sister and I warned them how addicitng it was..to not start it at 9 at night..HAHHAH..wanna know what time they went to bed? LOL..then they did it off and on the rest of the next two days too LOL..I see some good Christmas gifts in their future..( I do however think my nephew could strangle me HA!) We had so much fun ( & food) the past few days..I miss them and they just left this morning..

Ok ..that got a little long..sorry..I just knew you ladies would totally apprieciate enabling new stameprs..LOL
Way to go recruiting new stampers!! Sounds like you had a great visit. Did you introduce them to Prismas?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #2931
Crimping Master

Oh yes Carole..Prismas..& OMS LOL..they got the grand mini tutorial..Oh and they played with Inktense too..LOL..they were everyehwre in my studio HA!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #2932
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

This is a fascinating video by Jody Bergsma and her daughter - she usually works in watercolor, but her style shows through in pencil too.....

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

crystaldolphins likes this post.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #2933

[QUOTE=dini;19338989]This is a fascinating video by Jody Bergsma and her daughter - she usually works in watercolor, but her style shows through in pencil too.....

Dini thank you soooo much for sharing this!! It was fantastic and I learned a lot I'm going to try doing the darker shadows first, and I want to buy one of her books.... and watch more of her videos!! I'm also going to get my watercolors back out

Big hugs Dini!!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #2934
Inking Addict

Thanks Dini so very much for sharing this video. It was just awesome. I wish she had more video's with Prisma pencils. I could watch an watch her.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #2935

I know! Her watercoloring is fabulous too.

I want to slow down the coloring video and be able to break it down into theory.... the shading she did with the blues is so fascinating to me.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 04-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #2936

Quote:
I know! Her watercoloring is fabulous too.

I want to slow down the coloring video and be able to break it down into theory.... the shading she did with the blues is so fascinating to me.
Me too! I never would have thought to use blue in that way and it is stunning!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #2937

Okay, note to self: do not use green for shadows on a pink flower. You tried this, it made a big mess and actually wore a hole through the top layer of Pure Luxury paper!
So much for trying to think like Jody Bergsma

What color would you shadow with on a pale pink flower?

I love what this girl did with orange and pink on a flower. I just want to be able to know how to chose colors like this and like Bergsma.

Pretty flower on Dawn's blog here
Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #2938
Crimping Master

Carole..try your lightest cool gray on pink..that might work without muddying and changing the tonal value altogether..

On Dawn's card..( which this woman is amazing btw) It looks like in her color line up she just used darker shades of orange and pink to create the depth..I personally would not think using blue would help..unless..you just lighthtly outlined with it using a very sharp pencil.. to make the orange pop..does that make sense??
Old 04-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #2939
Crimping Master

Oh yeah..thanks for that tutorial DIni..I spent at least an hour yesterday watching it..over and over LOL..what a great techinique..I am afraid I could never do that with out OMS..I just don't ahve it in me to blend with the pencils..it never seems to work for me..I ahve tried. THey just get muddy and waxy and spotty looking..
Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #2940
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I've been reading this thread recently and noticed a couple of comments about Mary Engelbreit and how she colors her gorgeous creations. She uses Tria and Copics in flat coloring, then uses prismacolors to create the details and shading.

Here's a neat video:
Watch ME Draw! - YouTube
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #2941
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionna51 View Post
I've been reading this thread recently and noticed a couple of comments about Mary Engelbreit and how she colors her gorgeous creations. She uses Tria and Copics in flat coloring, then uses prismacolors to create the details and shading.

Here's a neat video:
Watch ME Draw! - YouTube
OHh..thank you ..I ADORE Mary Engelbreit..I ahve a few of her books that I have collected to pass down to my daughter one day. I also have an older vintage calendar of hers ..I would love to do what that woman does for a living ..
Old 04-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #2942
Crimping Master

I have a question for Dini..or Marti..or anyone else that can help LOL..

If you use the FC Polychroms..do you find them to be a much more hard lead than Prismas? I decided to put them out on my desk so I would actually use them and grabbed them today to work on something for a challenge..and I notice a pretty significant difference in them..or at least the softness of them. I haven't tried blending with OMS yet..but how well do they do that?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #2943
Cardstock Collector

For ink, I agree with Kitty14. Memento Tuxedo black all the way. Actually, I've also used their brown to color an image in sepia tones like a vintage photograph. It worked just as fabulously as the black. So you don't have to use just black when you're coloring!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #2944
Proud Fan Club Member

Been reading up as much as I can but without going through every single post in this long thread, does anyone have suggestions for 3 gradient colors in each color family of Prismas? I have tried and tried using my cheap pencils and the two biggest issues I have are 1.) the cheap pencils are so very waxy which makes laying down deep color almost impossible 2.) gradient colors are almost non-existent! so blending has been very difficult. I'm no pro but I do like my colors to blend well. So if I didn't buy a whole set of Prismas what 3 of each color family should I buy kind of like the way Copics are grouped together? or is that just too ridiculous to even think of doing?

thank you for your help!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #2945

Kathy, the 2nd post down on this page might be helpful to you:

Mama Dini's Stamperia: pencil comparisons and faq

Those are my 'most used' and though they're not grouped in 3's, I do use that concept too, so there should be a good composite there that you can pick out. I don't use purples or blues much, so that would be where my picks may not match yours... wish I had time to be more helpful! We are on a cross-country road trip and about to hit the road again.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #2946
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh, I love road trips! Wish I was doing the same thing Dina. Thanks for your help. I don't use many blues or purples either...I much prefer warm tones to cool ones. I think I did read your post on comparisons a while back but I'm off to check it out again.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #2947
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I have a question for Dini..or Marti..or anyone else that can help LOL..

If you use the FC Polychroms..do you find them to be a much more hard lead than Prismas? I decided to put them out on my desk so I would actually use them and grabbed them today to work on something for a challenge..and I notice a pretty significant difference in them..or at least the softness of them. I haven't tried blending with OMS yet..but how well do they do that?
yes the lead is very different. i don't use anything to blend with but the pencils so i don't know how they do with OMS...sorry i can't be more helpful :P
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #2948
Proud Fan Club Member

Diane
Gallery Blog Pinterest
Quiltzi...High Plains Member of Punchkateerz
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
all I am is Yours.

Love this song, Diane!!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #2949
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301 View Post
yes the lead is very different. i don't use anything to blend with but the pencils so i don't know how they do with OMS...sorry i can't be more helpful :P

Marti, for me, using OMS is possible, but you need to really layer a couple of colors first..or they seem to just fade away..very different from Prismacolors, but I kinda like them. They have a different color range and I like that. The hardness of the lead is taking some getting used to for sure, but I do like them. Not sure I would use them as the sole coloring medium for larger pieces of art..they seems to not spread really wel if that makes sense..probably because of the hardness of the pigment..
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #2950
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh54 View Post
Diane
Gallery Blog Pinterest
Quiltzi...High Plains Member of Punchkateerz
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
all I am is Yours.

Love this song, Diane!!

I am kind of confused as to why you put this on the prismacolor chatter thread??
Old 05-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #2951
Proud Fan Club Member

Did I do something wrong? Diane posted something about Mary Englebreit's coloring a little further up and I noticed her signature. Just acknowledging that. Wasn't trying to offend anyone or break any rules.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #2952
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh54 View Post
Did I do something wrong? Diane posted something about Mary Englebreit's coloring a little further up and I noticed her signature. Just acknowledging that. Wasn't trying to offend anyone or break any rules.

NO no! I just got confused ..LOL..I realized much later. MUCH LATER..what you were refering to and forgot to come back and tell you that I am slowwww on the uptake some times! So sorry...you are more than fine! We don't have rules here..just me and my bogged down confused brain need time to process sometimes..
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #2953

Yay, no rules! Just popping in to say HEY......... we have been on the road for 5 weeks and I miss my pencils!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #2954
Crimping Master

Quote:
Yay, no rules! Just popping in to say HEY......... we have been on the road for 5 weeks and I miss my pencils!
I miss you & your pencils too LOL
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #2955

Yeah, what Jessica said! Are you having pencil withdrawals Dini????
Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #2956
Postapalooza Mama

Send a message via AIM to maryp Send a message via Yahoo to maryp

Quote:
I miss you & your pencils too LOL
Me too!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #2957
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh yay! Finally after months, maybe even a year of trying to decide on what coloring medium I wanted...I ordered a 72 count set of Prismas!!! Now does anyone know of an adult coloring book?!! hahaha. Seriously, though I need to practice and don't have many stamps to practice with, plus I need to learn shading, etc. Watching videos is okay but I need the actual images...am I sounding ridiculous asking for something like that?!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #2958
Proud Fan Club Member

YIKES!!! I just read my post and it sounds terrible!!! I'm not asking for "adult" books. What I meant was more intricate or more grown up coloring images...like botanicals, landscapes, something a grown up would want to color. Am I making sense?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #2959
Mad Swapper

Kathy, I have lots of Sweet Pea Stamps. Would you like me to send you some images? Here's the link: Sweet Pea Stamps

Just PM your addy to me if you want any.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #2960

Hey Y'all,

Look at this rusty old pick up truck. My friend Athina used Copic markers and I love the rusty look she gave it.
Stella, Roo and Fena Too Designs: Crafty Gals May Challenge

I have an old pick up truck too and would love to color it with a rusty look. I think I'll try it.
supickupandpumpgreen.jpg