Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #2881
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomatt17 View Post
Sorry for asking a few dumb questions but I've tried using watercolored pencils and haven't been happy with the results. I used Georgia_Pacific Card stock and used a water brush. The brush end is so dry that when I touch my face with the tip it's just barely even feels damp. The colors all mush together and paper is a bubbled mess. I was very happy to have someone start this thread and Prisma Pencils.
My questions are:
Is Prisma Premier count 132 the colored pensils I've been reading about or is this a different Premier a kind of Prisma colored pencils.
Does OMS or baby oil bubble up the paper after you use the blending stump?
I've looked at links others have showen the cool blending they gotten using this method.
I just don't want to invest in new pencils and find the paper is still a bubbles mess.
Thanks, Maddie
Maddie, the paper is certainly the culprit. Most card stock does not handle water without breaking down. Georgia Pacific is very cheap (love that!) so it has no cotton or rag content at all. Watercolor papers are very high cotton content.

A great compromise that is much more affordable than watercolor paper is Stampin' Up! Whisper White card stock. Unlike most card stock, it is coated with sizing, so it will withstand a certain amount of water without degrading. It would not do for sopping wet watercolor washes, but it performs very well for light water coloring as is typical when using the watercolor pencils.

I know others have responded about the gamsol/OMS/baby oil, but I hope this will help with the original question!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #2882
Crimping Master

I like the Georgia Pacific cardstock from Walmart for pencil work - smoother cardstock like Neenah doesn't catch the pigment into the paper, and blending just moves the pigment around on top instead of getting into the tooth. I've never had a problem with bubbling cardstock using OMS.

Dini...I have a couple of questions about the GP card stock. Do you use it for both wc and colored penicls? Also do you use it for your card bases as well? I have been using my drawing papers to stamp on..and that is working well but I would like a bit of a cheaper alternative( yes I have TONS of paper...but that isn't the point LOL)
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #2883
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

I don't use the GP cardstock for watercoloring, just colored pencil.

As far as card bases, I'm a little funny... while we are in the States I would use it for card bases because it is cheap in comparison to Neenah and others I use for markers, but... when we are overseas there is a really nice cheap cardstock I can get that I use for bases and I hoard my GP and Neenah like GOLD.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #2884
Inking Addict

Thank you so very much for all the help and information everyone have told me. The watercolor pencils I use are Faber Castell. I've been using GP for stamping on if I want white area and also for the base if I want a white base. I'm going to try to find Neenah card stock local so I don't have to pay for shipping and try that. I'm going buy Prisma pencils. I've been reading this entire thread on what others have wrote in the past. I'm on page or what ever it's called 20 of 73. You all out there are the experts and I have so much to learn. I really appreciate everyone help they given me. I enjoy being a part of this group so very much. Every time I've asked for help identifying a stamp others have always known. Everytime I've asked a question others are so very willing to help me. I'd like to thank the group for always being there for me and also letting me be a part of your group
Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #2885
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
I don't use the GP cardstock for watercoloring, just colored pencil.

As far as card bases, I'm a little funny... while we are in the States I would use it for card bases because it is cheap in comparison to Neenah and others I use for markers, but... when we are overseas there is a really nice cheap cardstock I can get that I use for bases and I hoard my GP and Neenah like GOLD.
Dini..would it be cheaper if someone here ordered stuff and then shipped it to you as opposed to having the company ship it? If so I would be glad to help you out..
Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #2886

Sometimes! I will keep you in mind. Paper is heavy, and gets a bit abused over the weeks it takes to get here... I usually find someone to carry it over for me when I need it, but I'm planning on stocking up here before we go back over.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 03-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #2887
Inking Addict

We'll I finally finshed reading every singe page that was posted. I did learnt quite a bit. I did buy a set of 132 Prismcolor Preimer pensil. I should get them soon. I haven't quite decided what I'll use to blend. Gamsol, Baby oil or Prima colorless blender or a copic colorless blender. I sometimes travel with some of my crafts like to our daughters to work on cards by her. This is why I thought those prisma or copic colorless would be nice for traveling. I bought a set that has a 2 erasers, one sick looking pensil sharpener, a blending pencil and a pencil extender. What do you all use when your pencils get very short and hard to hold? Do you use pencil extenders? I read some members have used colorless blenders with some success. Has anyone used the copic one and refilled it? Has anyone tried blending with just plain alcohol? When ya smell the copic it has a alcohol smell. Thanks for the great info in this entire 73 thread pages I read. It took me about 4 days to get through them all but it was well more the time. Take Care you all
Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #2888
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
We'll I finally finshed reading every singe page that was posted. I did learnt quite a bit. I did buy a set of 132 Prismcolor Preimer pensil. I should get them soon. I haven't quite decided what I'll use to blend. Gamsol, Baby oil or Prima colorless blender or a copic colorless blender. I sometimes travel with some of my crafts like to our daughters to work on cards by her. This is why I thought those prisma or copic colorless would be nice for traveling. I bought a set that has a 2 erasers, one sick looking pensil sharpener, a blending pencil and a pencil extender. What do you all use when your pencils get very short and hard to hold? Do you use pencil extenders? I read some members have used colorless blenders with some success. Has anyone used the copic one and refilled it? Has anyone tried blending with just plain alcohol? When ya smell the copic it has a alcohol smell. Thanks for the great info in this entire 73 thread pages I read. It took me about 4 days to get through them all but it was well more the time. Take Care you all
I thought I was the only one who had gone back and read alll the previous posts

I use pencil extenders for very short pencils. My Sister-in-law taught me how to use Prismas. She's a professional artist who produces large pieces like Inkin One does. SIL taught me to use the colorless blender, so that's what I used for years. The look I get with that is a bit different than what I get with Gamsol. For me, Gamsol blends more seamlessly and is a bit easier on my arthritic hand. However, I feel as though I have more control with the colorless pencil and by rubbing the finished piece with kleenex, it appears smoother and shinier. I switch back and forth between the two.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #2889
Crimping Master

I am the opposite. I hate that darn colorless blender pencil..something about the way it scratches the paper sets my teeth on edge LOL. I love the " painterly" look I get with my OMS..I don't mind traveling with it. I have put some in a waterbrush and use it that way..which takes some practice..but will work if you need it too.I have never used baby oil as I was never sure what the oil would do to finished pieces of art work in the long run. I don't really use the colorless blender marker either..never had much luck with that..so I just stick to my stumps and OMS.

I do find that I am experimenting more with paper and haven't find quite the right fit for me yet. I have been using my drawing paper ( mostly Bristol) and that works,but I am not sure how it will die cut since it is so smooth. I don't care for SU whisper white for colored pencils..they don't blend at all, for me anyway. I do like to layer a lot of colors..same with my water colors too. I have tried GP and that mostly works well for me and it isnt that expensive if I trash a piece of it LOL. I also just ordered some Neenah but haven't tried that yet but will some time today.I honestly think that paper is probably the most critical thing for good results.

As far as for what to do with the short pencils..I have never used a pencil extender for my colored pencils. I have a couple around here that I use for my charcoal. Instead I save those short pencils and when my new one get short I super glue the two bottom pieces together. You end up with a pencil sharpend on both ends..but by that time they are really short so it doesn't matter. I personally feel that I lose a bit of control of my pencils when that extender comes between me and it..that is just me though. I say find what works for you and run with it!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #2890

Quote:
Wow! I am impressed. Feel free to jump in with questions (just put your pencils down first if you're jumping... might poke your eye out...)!

I have used a Copic blender with pencils when traveling, and it works fine... I have heard you can use the higher concentration of alcohol for blending just like OMS, but I can't handle the fumes so I haven't tried that yet.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #2891
Crimping Master

Don't you hate when you make a substantial order from somewhere ( Blick) and FORGET to order the ONE PENCIL you need? Only to figure out when you go to use said pencil that it is about two inches long and you don't want to pay shipping for two pencilsl?..that is how my day has started..
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #2892
Inking Addict

Dang !!! shipping to sooooooooooooooo expensive on everything now days. Ya pay twice as much as the cost of the item just for shipping. I wish craft stores carried more good items and less junk items that most of us don't use. Stamp & scrap stores in WI are real stores. We're snow birds here in FL and the closest one is 120 miles away. Ya right that's a almost 2 hours drive one way. So that leaves me with HL and M's. like I said things I don't use and things I need they don't carry.
Linda
Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #2893
Crimping Master

So get this

I ordered a replacement nib for one of my Rapidograph pens..and it is deffective or something..just doesn't work. So I called Blick and was told they would get a replacement out to me..and I don't even have to return the bad one..so I said..while I have you on the phone ( you see where I am going with this right?)...they were more than willing to add two of the pencils I really needed WITH OUT CHARGING ME EXTRA SHIPPING!!! How awesome is that???

I was ever so happy.. just so elated. My stuff should be here by Saturday. SAAWWEEETTT huh?

I have always praised them for their excellent shipping times and customer service..but that was beyond..I didn't expect them to do it but just thought I would toss the idea out there...glad I did..
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #2894
Compulsive Stamper

I keep a small amount of OMS in an empty saline eye drop bottle. I first remove all of the labels. I then make a new label in large red letters, that read OMS. I never keep it with my eye drops after it is filled with OMS. When I am ready to use the OMS I just tip the bottle and place the tip to the stump. The stumps draws out the OMS. I am able to use as much as I want, and bottle is small and travels well
Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #2895
Crimping Master

I have been coloring like mad recently..and needed to restock some pencils ( I usualy have a couple of each color waiting in my colored pencil drawer)..which got me to wondering which ones I use the most..I have certain colors that I use for everything and certain that I hardly ever use..so tell me..

What are the longest pencils in your pencil caddy??

What are the shortest??
Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #2896
Mad Swapper

i FINALLY picked up my pencils again today after a bit of an absence. pencils i use the most - lime peel, tuscan red, indigo blue, scarlet lake, deco pink (glad they brought that one back!).

today i colored with my polychromos.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #2897
Crimping Master

Marti, I have the big set of Polychroms..but I must admit I rarely ever use them. I have my Prismas in tins on my desk ( organized by color families) so they are right in my face..so I reach for them all the time.
Do you like the polys?? To me they don't seem as vibrant as Prismas..or maybe I jsut haven't used them enough to form a real opinion??
Old 03-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #2898
Mad Swapper

you can check out my image on my blog post and see what you think

Mixed media flower girl

i really like them but i like my color choices better in the prismas. but i do like the feel of the polychromos better. i think eventually i will probably mix up my sets but right now i keep the brands all separated.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #2899
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301 View Post

Mixed media flower girl

i really like them but i like my color choices better in the prismas. but i do like the feel of the polychromos better. i think eventually i will probably mix up my sets but right now i keep the brands all separated.
That is very pretty!

On a side note..the mere thought of mixing my pencils makes me shudder! HAHHAHAHHHAHAH
Old 03-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #2900
Mad Swapper

same here - i don't know why....if i got to a point where i made something to hold pencils on my work table i would (ideally) go through and pick out my favorites from all the brands i have, the ones i use the most, and just put those up. i know what i want to make but i gotta get hubby to do the cutting and he is always too busy :P
Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #2901

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301 View Post

Mixed media flower girl

Soooo pretty Marti!! You even got the shine in their hair right!!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #2902

It's me again!

I just found the best coloring guide and had to share it with my Prisma Pals.

These coloring guides were done for Copics, BUT they would be very helpful to pencil users too!! I love how she broke down the light and shadows. These animals look so realistic because of the way they are colored more than the quality of the image. Not that the image quality isn't good. Well, you know what I mean!

AngelsLanding.com | Copic Coloring Guides for Digital Stamps
toyabrown likes this post.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #2903

Just popping in to say that the shading tutorial I wrote will be published here on Wednesday.... I spent most of yesterday working on the video too - it is pretty condensed, but I may put together a long boring version if I have time.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 03-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #2904
Compulsive Stamper

I'm thrilled to see that so many of you love Prismacolor pencils as much as I do. With so much publicity concerning Copic markers, I thought I was in the minority of people who prefer colored pencils. Love them!

Terry Mays
Old 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #2905
Crimping Master

Dini I can't wait to see that video!

I have one..anyone every try their cp's on watercolor paper ?? I tried and maybe it is just me and the fact that I am used to smoooooth paper..but I didn't really like it.Is it just me? Do I need to try a different paper?? or more/less layers of color before hitting it with the OMS??
Old 03-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #2906

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymays View Post
I'm thrilled to see that so many of you love Prismacolor pencils as much as I do. With so much publicity concerning Copic markers, I thought I was in the minority of people who prefer colored pencils. Love them!

Terry Mays
I can not afford to invest in Copics. It's a good thing I like Prismas.

Jess, No luck with watercolor paper here either.

Dini, can't wait to see the video!!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #2907
Insane Embellisher

Dini, that video should be so cool; looking forward to seeing it!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #2908
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
I can not afford to invest in Copics. It's a good thing I like Prismas.
Jess, No luck with watercolor paper here either.

Dini, can't wait to see the video!!!!
Me too Carole..I could slowly build up a collection I suppose if I wanted to..but I love my pencils..and I also like painting with inks as well. I have so much invested in my art supplies ( pencils/paints..etc) that I hate to not use them. Plus..I am (kinda) intimidated by Copics..I *think* if I were to try markers..I would try the ones from Shin Han. That DT show cases those markers wonderfully and as *I* understand it..the only difference is the color pallet..Shin Han is smaller.
I guess deep down I am just a pencil girl at heart. I really think pencils are becoming more popular..I sure wish Prismacolor would have a DT..HAHAHAH..talk about stalking that blog..

Last edited by Inkin One; 03-20-2012 at 09:59 AM..
Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #2909

The tutorial is up - did you see?

Splitcoaststampers - Tutorials

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 03-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #2910

You did a great job Dini!
I like how you used one image in the pictures and a different one in the video. That offers two perspectives. Your voice sounds so young!!

Just in time for me too, as a friend has asked me to teach her how to use Prismas. Your tutorial will help me explain shading

Round of applause for Dini

Last edited by sc magnolia; 03-21-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #2911
Inking Addict

I was so very happy that Weekly Inking featured shading with pencils. The tutorial was great and the video was awesome. It was nice to see some one shading with pencils. It really helped. I do better watching something and then doing it. Sometimes when you read something it leaves questions. I'll be replying the video alot cause it was great. Thanks again
Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #2912
Compulsive Stamper

Love the technique! Beautiful picture as well!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
You did a great job Dini!
I like how you used one image in the pictures and a different one in the video. That offers two perspectives. Your voice sounds so young!!

Just in time for me too, as a friend has asked me to teach her how to use Prismas. Your tutorial will help me explain shading

Round of applause for Dini
Doing the video gave me the chance to show the same principles on another image with different pencils... mainly that was out of necessity because my goldfish stamp and my Prismacolors are overseas...! But it did broaden the application for everyone, too. The feedback has all been very positive, and I'm so glad!!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 03-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #2914
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Doing the video gave me the chance to show the same principles on another image with different pencils... mainly that was out of necessity because my goldfish stamp and my Prismacolors are overseas...! But it did broaden the application for everyone, too. The feedback has all been very positive, and I'm so glad!!
That kinda shocked me HAHHAHA!!

That was a great tutorial..nice job!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #2915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkin One View Post
That kinda shocked me HAHHAHA!!
W-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l......... I couldn't bring everything... the Prismas take up 2 large leather cases, and I knew I had the Polys waiting for me here - thought we'd take the time to get to know each other.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #2916
Cardstock Collector

Has anyone seen these?

Looks like Prismacolor has joined the brush tip brigade. O_O

Blick art supplies maybe the first to get them.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #2917

I have 5-6 I like to use them with Prismas. For example the yellow pistil & stamen in the center of flowers. If I color them with the marker, then I don't have to worry about the flower colors running into the yellow.

Last edited by sc magnolia; 03-22-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #2918
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

How do the Prisma markers compare pricewise with Copics?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #2919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
How do the Prisma markers compare pricewise with Copics?
I got mine with "store money" (worked for a company Atlanta convention) so I know the retail was 4.45. Retail on the Copics are 6.99

I'm sure Dick Blick sells them for much less, I saw them in the last catalog I got in the mail.

Prisma markers have been around for a good ten years or more. I wonder why everyone who stamps went with Copic???
Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #2920

I don't know if they have changed their formula, but I had a couple of older Prismacolor markers (fine tip/chisel) and they had a terrible smell. You know I love my Touch markers... wish Blick would carry the newer style ones!

Vincent Van Gogh