Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #241
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
I have some of my cards on display at my local scrapbooking store and people act incredulous when the owner tells them that I used colored pencils. They almost don't believe it! LOL! Some of them will get to see it for themselves on April 30 when I teach a coloring class.
Gee...I wish I could get paid to color!!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #242
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
Didn't know if anyone gave this to you but I found this tutorial very helpful.
http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co..._and_pris.html
GREAT LINK!! Thanks
Proud RAK Member
Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #243
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

The deco colors and neon colors were discontinued, did anyone ever answer that question? Bummer, 'cause I loved some of those decos...

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #244
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
Gee...I wish I could get paid to color!!
Well...I'm not quitting my day job. LOL!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #245
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarah View Post
Michaels has them on sale. Which set would a person get to try them out, aren't there different kinds? I have only used the SU pencils with the blender pen.
If you want to blend your pencils with odorless mineral spirits, you want the Prismacolor Premier pencils. NOT the watercolor pencils.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #246
Matboard Maniac

This thread has been very useful - thankyou for sharing all your experiences & info.

I was wondering if anyone has used Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils and if so, how you found them when compared to the Prismacolor pencils? I recently bought a few prismacolor pencils (open stock) and found them 'scratchy' when compared to the few Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils that I own. I'm not sure if I was just unlucky and got a bad batch of pencils or if they're normally like that. I'm planning to buy a large set of colored pencils soon and would be interested to hear how other people would compare the two brands before I invest a lot of $$$s into pencils.

TIA
Old 04-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #247
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
Hi everyone! Great conversations still!

I have another card to share that I colored with. I am pretty happy with it except for her hair.

V - you asked the other day on my blog what I colored skin with - it's the same here:
997 Beige and then 927 Light Flesh laid over that.

Hair:
940 Sand then 942 Yellow Ochre blended over. Then I added 941 Raw Ochre over that to shade in. It got really dark so I added more Sand over that. BlAH!

Other colors used:
Slate Gray - no number as I or hubby sharpened from the wrong end
946 Dark Brown
939 Flesh & 926 Carmine - top
Very beautiful work! Thanks for the pencil #'s
Old 04-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #248
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Quote:
I have some of my cards on display at my local scrapbooking store and people act incredulous when the owner tells them that I used colored pencils. They almost don't believe it! LOL! Some of them will get to see it for themselves on April 30 when I teach a coloring class.
I have taught two classes at my local scrapbook store about coloring and I have one more scheduled for 5/16. I charged $12 for the class, of which $2 went to the store owner. I gave them an image to color and matierials to make a simple card along with 16 more images to bring home to color. Everyone loved it and was thrilled for all the extras I included. I have made $170 so far for an hour and a half class. Woohoo, more stamp money!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #249
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
I also love the Memento Tuxedo Black. I also have the Rich Cocoa that I use when watercoloring OR using my pencils.

I really debated about getting it b/c I have SOOOO many black ink pads -- but it is wonderful!! Michael's does not carry this brand nor does JoAnns.

Archival Ink should be really good too for not smearing...but I don't have that one so can't test it.

Ranger's Archival Ink is wonderful, on the right paper, for watercolor. My LSS started carrying it last year and they just started carrying the refill too. I have tried SU inks and just not that great for WC. So, I am experimenting.....we have an Art Mart close by and that is where I get the majority of my art supplies. I buy large sheets of WC paper and talk to the folks there about what I want to do....they are most helpful.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:12 AM   #250
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1r601 View Post
ok, just wanted to vent a little here...I just found out that the prismacolor pencils I just ordered from ebay are not coming! The seller sent me a refund on Saturday with no explanation. Apparently, he sent a refund to all of the other folks who bought a set from him. I had been so anxious to use my pencils since I already got my other accesssories from DickBlick.com. Aaaaaarrrggghhh! The set came with a sharpener and I could have bought one from DickBlick with my order. I should have known to just get one anyway. This is the second time I have been burned on a craft related purchase from ebay. But at least I did not have to open up a dispute case to ebay and paypal to get my money back. Now just waiting for the pending on paypal for the refund to be completed...

The thing is that the seller only had 1 negative feedback when I bought the item and when I checked today to see if anyone else got their pencils, I was astounded to see many neutral to negative feedback regarding items that did not get shipped. The folks who bought the pencil sets got an automatic refund via paypal. I had sent an email to him a couple of days ago with no response. When I researched the other "satisfied" customers, their items arrived 2 weeks after purchasing. You try to give people the benefit of the doubt and then BAM!

Ok, done venting...thanks for listening!
Alma~

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. At least you were issued a refund immediately and did not have to fight with the seller or Paypal.

I just googled Prismacolor pencils and checked out several prices on a set of 120. It appears that Dick Blick has the best deal for $83.99.

Diane
Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 AM   #251
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post
Ranger's Archival Ink is wonderful, on the right paper, for watercolor. My LSS started carrying it last year and they just started carrying the refill too. I have tried SU inks and just not that great for WC. So, I am experimenting.....we have an Art Mart close by and that is where I get the majority of my art supplies. I buy large sheets of WC paper and talk to the folks there about what I want to do....they are most helpful.
I use Archival Ink in Jet Black too. I love it! It works really good on acrylic stamps too! Plus it is the cheapest around, I paid $5.50 for the ink pad.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:32 AM   #252
Rubber Obsessor

Please forgive my question but what is heat embossing? A previous poster mentioned usind versamark ink and het embossed a card. What kind of versamark ink and how do you do it? Does it make your cards pop? What heating tool do you recommend?

Thanks,
Candie
Old 04-21-2009, 05:37 AM   #253
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappyoz View Post
This thread has been very useful - thankyou for sharing all your experiences & info.

I was wondering if anyone has used Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils and if so, how you found them when compared to the Prismacolor pencils? I recently bought a few prismacolor pencils (open stock) and found them 'scratchy' when compared to the few Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils that I own. I'm not sure if I was just unlucky and got a bad batch of pencils or if they're normally like that. I'm planning to buy a large set of colored pencils soon and would be interested to hear how other people would compare the two brands before I invest a lot of $$$s into pencils.

TIA
I have only used the Prisma; however, when I took a class at a LSS, the instructor used Faber-Castell because she prefers them. She too thought they blended a little more easily. She did stipulate that was simply her preference. Before I purchased my pencils, I asked in a different thread about the difference between two. I learned most people here use Prisma, often because of availability and price. I too made my final decision based on price, and have been very happy with the Prismas.

My Blog http://sweetvioletspaperie.blogspot.com
Old 04-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #254
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug4233 View Post
Please forgive my question but what is heat embossing? A previous poster mentioned usind versamark ink and het embossed a card. What kind of versamark ink and how do you do it? Does it make your cards pop? What heating tool do you recommend?

Thanks,
Candie
Versamark is a watermark stamp pad made by Tsukineko.

http://www.tsukineko.com/pdf/tip_versamark.pdf

To clear heat emboss, stamp with the Versamark, sprinkle on some clear detail embossing powder, shake off the excess, and then heat with a heat gun. I bought my heat gun at Michaels and it works fine. Here's a link to a thread about heat guns.

What is the best heat gun?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:00 AM   #255
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarah View Post
Michaels has them on sale. Which set would a person get to try them out, aren't there different kinds? I have only used the SU pencils with the blender pen.
You're looking for the Prismacolor Premier pencils. You're going to want them all eventually, so the general consensus is to buy the largest pack you can afford.

Do a bit of price shopping online before you go to make sure you're getting the best deal. Amazon has them as low as $78 plus shipping.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #256
Kookie Creator

Do we have any UK ladies browsing/chatting the thread? I was wondering if any of you have tried the Zest-It Pencil Blend in place of baby oil/OMS. I bought a bottle and have played a bit, but wanted to see if anyone else had tried it and what their thoughts were.

V
Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #257
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all of your support ladies...I am just so anxious to get my pencils and start coloring! I'll just have to be patient and find another deal. The set I purchased came with a pencil sharpener and could have bought one from DickBlick when I bought the other stuff. Is there anywhere else I can buy the sharpener? I don't have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby near me. Can I just get one at a general art store?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #258
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Versamark is a watermark stamp pad made by Tsukineko.

http://www.tsukineko.com/pdf/tip_versamark.pdf

To clear heat emboss, stamp with the Versamark, sprinkle on some clear detail embossing powder, shake off the excess, and then heat with a heat gun. I bought my heat gun at Michaels and it works fine. Here's a link to a thread about heat guns.

What is the best heat gun?

There is also a versamark pen you can buy at M's. This is used to outline the image with embossing powder if you plan on coloring the inside of the image so that the ink doesn't bleed. This is mostly used for watercoloring. But people have been successful using this technique for digital images so that the ink doesn't smear. I know Mel from melstampz (stampztoomuch) uses this method when she prints off digital images (to color with markers or colored pencils). Oh, and I think Michelle Zindorf uses this method alot when she creates her lovely cards. I can't seem to master this technique...I can't seem to emboss the whole outline of the image quite right. Or maybe not using the pen the right way?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #259
Gabfest Goddess

Here is one of my cards that I did with Prisma's and OMS:

The flash washed it out some... I used PC 927 and PC 939 for the shadow.
Attached Thumbnails
picture-477.jpg  
Proud RAK Member
Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #260
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Thanks for all of your support ladies...I am just so anxious to get my pencils and start coloring! I'll just have to be patient and find another deal. The set I purchased came with a pencil sharpener and could have bought one from DickBlick when I bought the other stuff. Is there anywhere else I can buy the sharpener? I don't have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby near me. Can I just get one at a general art store?
My 120 piece set came with a small metal sharpener that I've happily used to sharpen all my pencils. It's not as nice and the bullet shaped one, but it works!

V
Old 04-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #261
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
Here is one of my cards that I did with Prisma's and OMS:

The flash washed it out some... I used PC 927 and PC 939 for the shadow.
Very Sweet! Love the doodling stitching on the edge too!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #262
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamD View Post
I have only used the Prisma; however, when I took a class at a LSS, the instructor used Faber-Castell because she prefers them. She too thought they blended a little more easily. She did stipulate that was simply her preference. Before I purchased my pencils, I asked in a different thread about the difference between two. I learned most people here use Prisma, often because of availability and price. I too made my final decision based on price, and have been very happy with the Prismas.
In the art world, I believe Faber-Castell is a bit better, but, I have not tried them. I am just getting into the watercolor/premier pencil coloring. I have always drawn but, used pen, ink and pencils. I have been practicing on techniques before I settle on one and apply something to a card.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #263
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I went to the Prismacolor site and found this....Seashell Pink PC 1093 and Nectar PC 1092. HTH
Thanks cindy!

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #264
Insane Embellisher

i think it's lovely craftymomto2!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #265
Kookie Creator

Quote:
In the art world, I believe Faber-Castell is a bit better, but, I have not tried them. I am just getting into the watercolor/premier pencil coloring. I have always drawn but, used pen, ink and pencils. I have been practicing on techniques before I settle on one and apply something to a card.
Faber-Castell Polychromos are quite lovely, but the cheapest I found the 120 set was $200. A bit outside my budget, considering I only spent $65 for my Prismacolors!

If I'm going to blow the bank like that, I'll go all the way and get the set in the lovely wood case for $350. Wouldn't that be nice?

V
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #266
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

Craftymom very nice I like how the orange bracelet has the little shading detail to it and the shadow looks great. Looking forward to seeing more.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #267
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
The deco colors and neon colors were discontinued, did anyone ever answer that question? Bummer, 'cause I loved some of those decos...
I read on some other random forum that they were discontinued because Prisma found out they were not lightfast. So at least they weren't doing it just to annoy you.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #268
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgchic View Post
I read on some other random forum that they were discontinued because Prisma found out they were not lightfast. So at least they weren't doing it just to annoy you.
Are you sure? Ah well. I did find this note after a small bit of searching -

This is the information that Ann Kullberg is giving on her web site.

Deco Pink =Derwent Rose Pink #18
Deco Yellow =Derwent Primrose Yellow #4
Deco Blue =Derwent Turquoise Blue #39
Deco Aqua = Derwent Turquoise Green #40

The colors are from the Derwent Studio line.

V
Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #269
Kookie Creator

Craftymom - beautiful card!!!
Regarding the heat embossing - make sure that you don't heat emboss first then color w/ gamsol b/c the gamsol breaks down the embossing. So, you have to emboss AFTER all your coloring is done.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #270
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Faber-Castell Polychromos are quite lovely, but the cheapest I found the 120 set was $200. A bit outside my budget, considering I only spent $65 for my Prismacolors!

If I'm going to blow the bank like that, I'll go all the way and get the set in the lovely wood case for $350. Wouldn't that be nice?

V
Do you watch Color Splash on HGTV with David Bromstad? He has a big set of colored pencils in a nice case. He uses them to draw and color his design plans.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #271
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

V
Oh, thanks for the information on the Deco colors! I am heading over to Art Mart today (got a 25% off entire purchase coupon burning a hole in my pocket!). They have the Derwent line.

I especially want the #18 because someone on SCS said that it was the closest to SU's In Color Pirouette Pink.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #272
Kookie Creator

Hey, it's good to see you on here! I was the other person who "bought" pencils through the rotten seller on ebay and has been emailing back and forth with you! I just checked and my refund is still in "pending" status too. I can't believe all of the people that didn't get their stuff from him and are now posting neg. feedback! I'm betting his ebay career is over! Fortunately,this is the first time I have had a problem on ebay and I've made a lot of transactions there. Good luck waiting and please post some projects when you get the pencils!
Quote:
ok, just wanted to vent a little here...I just found out that the prismacolor pencils I just ordered from ebay are not coming! The seller sent me a refund on Saturday with no explanation. Apparently, he sent a refund to all of the other folks who bought a set from him. I had been so anxious to use my pencils since I already got my other accesssories from DickBlick.com. Aaaaaarrrggghhh! The set came with a sharpener and I could have bought one from DickBlick with my order. I should have known to just get one anyway. This is the second time I have been burned on a craft related purchase from ebay. But at least I did not have to open up a dispute case to ebay and paypal to get my money back. Now just waiting for the pending on paypal for the refund to be completed...

The thing is that the seller only had 1 negative feedback when I bought the item and when I checked today to see if anyone else got their pencils, I was astounded to see many neutral to negative feedback regarding items that did not get shipped. The folks who bought the pencil sets got an automatic refund via paypal. I had sent an email to him a couple of days ago with no response. When I researched the other "satisfied" customers, their items arrived 2 weeks after purchasing. You try to give people the benefit of the doubt and then BAM!

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
Old 04-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #273
Kookie Creator

Hi! I wanted to share the first two Magnolia cards that I've colored. I loved them! Now this means I'm going to have to make a purchase!!!

Card # 1

Card # 2

Thanks for looking!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #274
Pearl-ExPert

Maria,
They are both very nice, especially like #1. Keep up the good work!!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #275
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggonecrafts View Post
Hi! I wanted to share the first two Magnolia cards that I've colored. I loved them! Now this means I'm going to have to make a purchase!!!
They look great! I really like card #2. :O)

V
Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #276
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

Maria they are both super cute. I like the way you made the grass.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #277
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I could have written this. Except I got my money back a few days ago (after stalking the mail for days). When I checked feed back there were no concerns that stood out. What upset me was absolutely no communication.
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 04-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #278
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggonecrafts View Post
Very nice Coloring! TFS
Old 04-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #279
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

V
Does this Derwent line act the same as the Premier line with OMS/baby oil?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #280
Stazon Splitcoast

We have strayed a bit from the original post. I have a different question on color, and if it has already been answered, I apologize for the repeat.

What colors do you use for Rileys, Gruffies, etc? How many of the browns do you need? I am thinking that for me the set of 120 is more than I need (all the grey, for example) but I want to be sure to be able to do Riley better than I have in the past.

Second question... I found Mona Lisa brand called paint thinner - I figured that was not the same as OMS.
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/