In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree47Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #2521
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I think the mat she was using was a piece cut from a Cricut sticky mat. It is adhesive, but you can peel up the cardstock. I don't think you would have to use that, but it might be convenient to use a little repositional adhesive to keep your image from moving around while you are coloring.

I'd never thought about sticking my images to something while coloring until I saw the video. I just hold them in place with my left hand while I'm coloring.
I just hold mine with my left hand too. But now that you mentioned repositional adhesive - what about painters' tape? That's cheap and many of us have it around the house.
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #2522
Stampin' Fool
 
guidinggirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary,Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,479
Send a message via MSN to guidinggirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Here is mine... still need to edit it so it is PC only. This is all colors except for the neons, but I have a few other brands thrown in as well.

Prismacolor charts
Thanks!
__________________
Carrie

My Gallery
guidinggirl is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #2523
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Smile Blending Pencils

I am a newbie here! My purpose for joining this site was for exactly what this thread is about - I fell in LOVE with coloring with my pencils and I use gamsol. I did read that some people are using a blending pencil and although I am very happy with the blending stumps and gamsol my question is do you use the gamsol with the blending pencil also or without gamsol?
I have seen so many beautiful cards on this site that I have no idea where to start! I have picked up a couple of magnolia stamps and love how they come out! I want to just keep going!
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
debi0702 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #2524
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debi0702 View Post
I am a newbie here! My purpose for joining this site was for exactly what this thread is about - I fell in LOVE with coloring with my pencils and I use gamsol. I did read that some people are using a blending pencil and although I am very happy with the blending stumps and gamsol my question is do you use the gamsol with the blending pencil also or without gamsol?
I have seen so many beautiful cards on this site that I have no idea where to start! I have picked up a couple of magnolia stamps and love how they come out! I want to just keep going!
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Debi!

If you use the pencil blender, it burnishes the wax in the pencil. You don't use gamsol with it.

You know what I found out today? Y'all may already know this but -
I found my Dove blending pen and decided to refill it and play around with Tombo and Tria alcohol ink markers. Of course clutzy me spilled it, and it made an oily mess. Then I remembered one of you said you blended with baby oil. I bet that's what's in the Dove blender stuff, or at least part of what's in it. Now to try it with the pencils....
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #2525
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Thank you so much! I am going to order one and see how I like it. I have tried to go to the markers but love the shading in the pencils so much better!

So happy to find this wonderful place to share and learn!

Best Regards,
Debbie
debi0702 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #2526
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 915
Send a message via AIM to Jan R
Default

Hi Debbie, I have a blender pencil but I only like to use it for small areas where it is hard to get to with the blending stump. I think it would take ages to use it for all blending. I use stumps and a Gamsol equivalent with my Prismas. I am just srating to have a little play with Copic markers. I bought a few in Xmas colours to do Xmas cards, it is quicker than Prismas but I don't think the shading is as good, but I have decided it's probaly good enough for Xmas cards. LOL.
Jan R is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #2527
Mad Swapper
 
cerridwen3301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: on the edge
Posts: 1,791
Default

hi debbie!
i don't have much luck with the gamsol so i blend either with the pencils as i go or with a derwent blending pencil. it doesn't take very long to do it that way. i find my results are much better....
__________________
my blog: http://pezadoodle.blogspot.com
cerridwen3301 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 PM   #2528
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Okay y'all it's official, I've totally lost my mind in this Prismacolor obsession. I just read this whole thread allll of the posts AND I took notes. Am I an OCD geek or what?


I don't think I saw these tips addressed, but I'm kinda cross-eyed at this point!
Have any of you used a handheld electric eraser to create highlights?
My sister-in-law is a professional artist and taught me to use that and a white pencil over top for different highlights.

She also told me to get a DUX handheld sharpener. I like it better than the Prismacolor sharpener. I use that and an electric sharpener. But you know what works for one may not work for another.

She lives soooo far away, wish I could see her more often. I might actually learn a little faster!
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog

Last edited by sc magnolia; 08-31-2011 at 08:00 PM..
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #2529
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Now I have a couple questions for you talented ladies


Do you have problems with the elastic bands sticking on your pencils in the Global Classic pencil cases? Sometimes I think I was better off with my swiveling thingy, but that was so big and you couldn't take it anywhere.

Do you really use all the colors in a full set? I have bought my set open stock adding a few at a time. I have about 85 colors. Would I use those other colors?

I LOVE this thread, it has really helped me so much
Thank you all for your generous sharing!
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #2530
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess
 
dini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 10,088
Default

I have all the colors, but I almost never use the blues, except for lighter and turquoise blues. The blue violets are all pretty long still too! I don't use a lot of bright colors - more muted/earthy tones... but I love having every color of everything...and all in rainbow order! That is my OCD kicking in!

I've never had trouble with the elastic bands sticking. Like sticky sticking? Or just too tight?

I have sometimes used a white pencil for burnishing, and I've read of people using a light blue or yellow for the same technique with a slightly different effect - haven't tried it.
__________________
Dina K.
Mama Dini's Stamperia dkdesigns art stamps

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh


dini is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #2531
Gabfest Goddess
 
laurenscraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 8,845
Send a message via Skype™ to laurenscraft
Default

I have been lurking and reading for quite some time now, I do want to say the information, tips, techniques and your experiences have been so helpful to me. I have learned so much, but still have loads to learn.

OCD I am not, but I like that some of you are.

I am going to have to try burnishing with a blender, not ever tried that and can't wait to see the finished effect.

My colouring is not all that brilliant with Prismas, but it is getting better. I do love to colour and appreciate all the help offered here.
__________________
*Lauren
Down Under

My Blog and My Gallery
laurenscraft is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #2532
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
I've never had trouble with the elastic bands sticking. Like sticky sticking? Or just too tight?
.
Dini,
The pencil points often stick in the elastic bands as I slide them back in place, so I grab a paint brush handle to slide in first and then slide the pencil in without it getting caught. Kind of a pain.
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #2533
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenscraft View Post
I am going to have to try burnishing with a blender, not ever tried that and can't wait to see the finished effect.
You know what else? I read this just a few days ago: When you are all done with your piece, you can burnish it even more with a paper towel or tissue. I tried it and wow! It really gives a smooth finish Who would have thought?
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #2534
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Okay my friends - another question.

I have seen a couple of different ways in which to use the prismas for shading. I love the process that I saw that the card maker outlined the stamped image and pulled the color in with the gamsol but when I try it I find it still keeps the dark outline that I started with. Am I just outlining with too much pressure? But if I go lighter then there isn't enough color to pull into the whole area I want to shade? Maybe I need another tutorial to watch! lol
debi0702 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #2535
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debi0702 View Post
Okay my friends - another question.

I have seen a couple of different ways in which to use the prismas for shading. I love the process that I saw that the card maker outlined the stamped image and pulled the color in with the gamsol but when I try it I find it still keeps the dark outline that I started with. Am I just outlining with too much pressure? But if I go lighter then there isn't enough color to pull into the whole area I want to shade? Maybe I need another tutorial to watch! lol
Debbie, keep practicing and experimenting. My thought is maybe you are using too much pressure with your outline color, or it could be that the color you chose has more contrast than you need with the lighter shades you want to blend into. I think the reason these pencils (and markers, too) come in so many shades is so people can shade and blend in a subtle way.

I know there are tons of shades just in the color grey, which all look quite alike to my naked eye. Maybe try a little lighter shade for your outline color.

I've decided to be kind to myself and not so critical of my coloring, (and overall cardmaking, for that matter.) The folks I send cards to are very appreciative for the most part. I know they do not look at every little mark and critique it the way I do.

I was reading a biography by a famous, accomplished woman and she said she had finally decided that "Good enough is good enough." We all tend to be too hard on ourselves.

Did you see the tutorial I posted from Nicole Heady's blog? There are some good tips for blending in shading. Here it is again if you missed it.

{capture the moment}: Make It Monday #30: Colored Pencils
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #2536
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Great tutorial - love the Fall colors she came up with! and I see how she did her blending. Thank you for that tip! Also wasn't it neat how she used the cricut mat to work on her stamp project?
debi0702 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #2537
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default Question and a tip

I have some smooth paper for fine, detailed stamps like Magenta. Is it counter-productive to use that paper for working with Prismacolors?


My SIL, an art teacher, told me about using an electric eraser for erasing and to add lighter areas. I love it
Helix Automatic Cordless Eraser - BLICK art materials


I am enjoying this thread soooo much!!
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #2538
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess
 
dini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 10,088
Default

I prefer a paper with a little more tooth for pencils, personally. Play around with what you have and see what works for you.
__________________
Dina K.
Mama Dini's Stamperia dkdesigns art stamps

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh


dini is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #2539
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Debbie, keep practicing and experimenting. My thought is maybe you are using too much pressure with your outline color, or it could be that the color you chose has more contrast than you need with the lighter shades you want to blend into. I think the reason these pencils (and markers, too) come in so many shades is so people can shade and blend in a subtle way.

I know there are tons of shades just in the color grey, which all look quite alike to my naked eye. Maybe try a little lighter shade for your outline color.

I've decided to be kind to myself and not so critical of my coloring, (and overall cardmaking, for that matter.) The folks I send cards to are very appreciative for the most part. I know they do not look at every little mark and critique it the way I do.

I was reading a biography by a famous, accomplished woman and she said she had finally decided that "Good enough is good enough." We all tend to be too hard on ourselves.

Did you see the tutorial I posted from Nicole Heady's blog? There are some good tips for blending in shading. Here it is again if you missed it.
]
I loved the tutorial thank you! I was going to buy the stamp set I loved it so much but darn you have to buy 2 sets at $24 each. Do they ever go on sale?
VickyLyneQ is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #2540
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Default

I loved the tutorial too and she did such a wonderful job on the pumpkins! Try Ebay for the stamps they might be a bit cheaper there. Ebay is always my first stop for my scrap / card making items - good prices.
debi0702 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #2541
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 38
Default

Ebay was my first stop but I didn't find many of the PTI products and neither of the sets used in the tutorial were there. Maybe they are too new? She really did do a great job! Sold me.. well almost.
VickyLyneQ is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #2542
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Sorry to hear that! I too would love to get the stamp she used but don't want the 2 set deal. We'll just have to keep looking. She made it look SO easy! lol
debi0702 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #2543
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

I liked that tutorial too! I Prismacolored alll day yesterday. I do think I'm improving, but I want to ask your opinions. Mine doesn't look like y'alls does.
Do I have too much color (heavy hand)?
Is my style just different?
Is it because I blend with the colorless pencil instead of OMS?
Is it because I was taught by my SIL instead of someone who colors rubber stamps? (As an artist would she approach it differently???

Please Help!

I posted them here along with my notes. Magnolia's Place: Prismacolor Pencils - More Tips

Can't figure out all where all this OCD is coming from. I SO do NOT have a left brain!
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #2544
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 38
Default

She really did make it look easy! lol If I come up with a better price I will post it but it doesn't look promising.

I've been going back through this thread and you ladies know how to use your pencils! I've only gone back 2 pages and found 2 cards posted in those pages and both were beautiful. One was a beautiful nautical birthday card using water color pencils and the paper looked textured. What kind of paper was it that has that much texture? And Dini your boy in the air card was gorgeous. The colors are so vibrant and that puddle just seems to jump out at you. So much to learn so little time! Ok back to flipping through this thread some more because I have nothing else I *should* be doing.. lol
VickyLyneQ is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #2545
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 42
Default

I'm the same as Glitter Queen - I have trouble blending in dark colours too. I've tried Gamsol and Baby Oil and neither one seems to blend very well on the Neena paper. Maybe I should try another brand of paper? What kind of paper do your recommend for Prismas?

Violet
Crafty Violet's Chaos
craftnut is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #2546
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftnut View Post
I'm the same as Glitter Queen - I have trouble blending in dark colours too. I've tried Gamsol and Baby Oil and neither one seems to blend very well on the Neena paper. Maybe I should try another brand of paper? What kind of paper do your recommend for Prismas?

Violet
Crafty Violet's Chaos
Others in this thread have recommended Pure Luxury Card Stock Heavy Base Weight.

I get mine from Fran at Frantic Stampers. I don't know what kind it is, I just tell what I need it for and she takes care of me. I just love people like that
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #2547
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess
 
dini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 10,088
Default

When you blend... are you putting each color in it's own area and then blending? or layering colors over top of each other? That might make a difference... I usually cover the area in the lightest color, blend, then add layers of color over the top. The tutorial I wrote won't be posted until March... wish I could share more! This tutorial might shed a little light, though I used markers for the base coloring instead of pencils...

Mama Dini's Stamperia: Pencil shading over markers
__________________
Dina K.
Mama Dini's Stamperia dkdesigns art stamps

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh


dini is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #2548
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
When you blend... are you putting each color in it's own area and then blending? or layering colors over top of each other? That might make a difference... I usually cover the area in the lightest color, blend, then add layers of color over the top.
Mama Dini's Stamperia: Pencil shading over markers
Thanks Dini!
I'll pay attention to that the next time I color something and see. I appreciate your suggestion

Carole
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #2549
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 38
Default

Probably a little bit of both. Can I over blend and cause the waxy look? The set I have was made in Mexico... Can I blame it on that? lol I start light, put the light color down and blend out towards the area I left white then blend more as I add in the darker colors. I'm using OMS and paper stubs to blend with. It didn't seem to happen in the beginning so maybe I got a little carried away with blending? Thank you for the help and the link!
VickyLyneQ is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #2550
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 42
Default

Here is an example of my problem. I can't seem to get the colour to blend out - especially around the people. I have pretty much given up on that and now I just use chalk around them. I see other people who can blend it out to nothing but I get a solid line and if I keep working it, it starts to tear the paper. There are other cards posted on my blog that are better but this one shows the problem I have. Any suggestions?

Warning - I am a multi-crafter not just a card maker so if you check out my blog you may have to scroll down thru scrapbook layouts and paintings and more to see cards.

Violet
Crafty Violet's Chaos
Attached Thumbnails
bellariffic-friday-jan-21_edited-1.jpg  
__________________
Violet
www.craftyviolet.blogspot.com
craftnut is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #2551
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyLyneQ View Post
Probably a little bit of both. Can I over blend and cause the waxy look? The set I have was made in Mexico... Can I blame it on that? lol I start light, put the light color down and blend out towards the area I left white then blend more as I add in the darker colors. I'm using OMS and paper stubs to blend with. It didn't seem to happen in the beginning so maybe I got a little carried away with blending? Thank you for the help and the link!
If it's the waxy look that is causing a problem for you, it's called 'wax bloom.' I learned about it from a local artist. She does huge pieces and she waits a day for the wax bloom to form, then burnishes it out with a paper towel. I figured if it worked for the huge pieces she does, it ought to work for small stamped pieces - and it does She told me all the chemical mixing reasons for the wax to do that, but I forgot that part All I remember is the cause and effect!
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #2552
Rubber Obsessor
 
fairdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tha Bronx
Posts: 144
Default

Ok guys maybe someone can help me here. I've read how some people use baby oil instead of the odorless mineral spirits for blending so I decided to give it a try. Not thrilled. I did a comparison using the same colors and and two types of cardstock and the ones with baby oil always came out a bit duller (which I can live with) and there was always a halo of oil around the images (which I can't live with unless I'm cutting the images out). I am using very little oil, just enought to blend and I also sprinkled some baby powder over it and let it sit to see if it would absorb the excess...same. I also waited a couple of days for it to dry and I still get that halo. Is there some step I'm missing or is the halo just part of the package and I have to learn to live with it. I just can't see making a card with that noticeable halo of oil around the image, it just iggs me too much.

Really wish I could use the baby oil instead but it seems it's just not for me.

Debbie
fairdragon is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #2553
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairdragon View Post
Ok guys maybe someone can help me here. I've read how some people use baby oil instead of the odorless mineral spirits for blending so I decided to give it a try. Not thrilled. I did a comparison using the same colors and and two types of cardstock and the ones with baby oil always came out a bit duller (which I can live with) and there was always a halo of oil around the images (which I can't live with unless I'm cutting the images out). I am using very little oil, just enought to blend and I also sprinkled some baby powder over it and let it sit to see if it would absorb the excess...same. I also waited a couple of days for it to dry and I still get that halo. Is there some step I'm missing or is the halo just part of the package and I have to learn to live with it. I just can't see making a card with that noticeable halo of oil around the image, it just iggs me too much.

Really wish I could use the baby oil instead but it seems it's just not for me.

Debbie
Debbie, I haven't tried baby oil (yet) but I have used the Prismacolor blending pen. Have you seen them? It looks like one of their markers, I guess because it was originally intended to blend markers. They work very well for the pencils too. I found mine yesterday and experimented by using it on one half of an image and the colorless blending pencil on the other half. I can't tell the difference, except the pen is easier on your hand/fingers because it doesn't take as much pressure and work.
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #2554
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairdragon View Post
I did a comparison using the same colors and and two types of cardstock and the ones with baby oil always came out a bit duller (which I can live with) and there was always a halo of oil around the images (which I can't live with unless I'm cutting the images out). I am using very little oil, just enought to blend and I also sprinkled some baby powder over it and let it sit to see if it would absorb the excess...same. I also waited a couple of days for it to dry and I still get that halo. Is there some step I'm missing or is the halo just part of the package and I have to learn to live with it. I just can't see making a card with that noticeable halo of oil around the image, it just iggs me too much.
I used baby oil when I first started. I never had any problems with the halo effect you are getting, though. I did notice that my artwork wasn't as brilliant as when I switched to Zest-It. I can't used regular OMS. I'm sensitive to the faint odor and I tend to color with the help of two small monsters. If you have problems with OMS, you might look at Eco-House Orange Thinner as an alternative. Dick Blick sells it. It's made from Orange oil and carries just a faint orange scent. Zest-It, that I use, is a very similar product, but you have to order it from England.

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog

Last edited by just_v; 09-04-2011 at 01:58 PM..
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #2555
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess
 
dini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 10,088
Default

I had better results with the baby oil when I laid down more pencil color to begin with, used just a small amount of oil, and started blending from the middle out.
__________________
Dina K.
Mama Dini's Stamperia dkdesigns art stamps

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh


dini is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #2556
Rubber Obsessor
 
fairdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tha Bronx
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
I used baby oil when I first started. I never had any problems with the halo effect you are getting, though. I did notice that my artwork wasn't as brilliant as when I switched to Zest-It. I can't used regular OMS. I'm sensitive to the faint odor and I tend to color with the help of two small monsters. If you have problems with OMS, you might look at Eco-House Orange Thinner as an alternative. Dick Blick sells it. It's made from Orange oil and carries just a faint orange scent. Zest-It, that I use, is a very similar product, but you have to order it from England.

V
Actually, even though I get migraines the odorless mineral spirit is not a trigger for me. Now citrus scented stuff is a huge trigger for me so I wouldn't be able to use any of those you mentioned but I'll pass that along. I'm actually just looking for a good substitute for some of my family members that I got hooked on stamping Since they live out of the country I can't ship the oms to them and they are having a hard time finding it on there end. I always try sometihing out before I try teaching it to someone else and I'm just not doing well with the baby oil :

Thanks for the suggestions though, who knows they might be able to find those.

Debbie
fairdragon is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #2557
Rubber Obsessor
 
fairdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tha Bronx
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
I had better results with the baby oil when I laid down more pencil color to begin with, used just a small amount of oil, and started blending from the middle out.
Hmmmm... I do tend to start out on the edge going in. I'll switch it and see how that goes. Thanks for the suggestion

Debbie
fairdragon is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #2558
Rubber Obsessor
 
fairdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tha Bronx
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
Debbie, I haven't tried baby oil (yet) but I have used the Prismacolor blending pen. Have you seen them? It looks like one of their markers, I guess because it was originally intended to blend markers. They work very well for the pencils too. I found mine yesterday and experimented by using it on one half of an image and the colorless blending pencil on the other half. I can't tell the difference, except the pen is easier on your hand/fingers because it doesn't take as much pressure and work.
I'm going to check if those blending pens are shippable over seas. I did give them the blending pencil they just liked the look with the oms better. Thanks.
Debbie
fairdragon is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #2559
Rubber Obsessor
 
fairdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tha Bronx
Posts: 144
Default

ooh, I just noticed my spelling.
I really need to edit before I hit that submit reply button.
fairdragon is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #2560
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,060
Default

Ya know how I said I compared the Prisma blending pencil to the blending pen and couldn't tell a difference? Well...

This morning I had a different experience. I am using different paper, and I'm using the small tip end of the pen this time. I got this kind of mark or residue that I don't like. (not sure you can see it in the scan)

Dini's right, there are so many factors to consider: type of paper, how you hold your pen, your personal pencil-holding style etc. The effects each one of us gets could be from a number of things.

There must have been a reason I put that pen away a few years ago, I guess I decided the pencil worked best for me. Still haven't tried baby oil. One of the days when I'm in the store, I will actually remember to buy some!
Attached Thumbnails
comparison.jpg  
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off