Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #2401
Insane Embellisher

Wow Kathy, that's adorable! You did a wonderful job on the coloring, it's terrific!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #2402
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkin One View Post
Koh-I-Nor is their "own" company I think. ..they also make the rapidograpgh technical pens. I have used the pens for years drawing..I would love to try the pencils. I have an extensive set of all the others ( I am a professional "artist" LOL) I may order some of the KON..on my next blick order. I will let you know. I "believe" they are wax based.
I have about 10 Koh-i-noor Progresso pencils and I really love them. I wish they came in a bigger range of colours. Their weight is considerably more than a regular pencil which has the lead encased in wood. A Prismacolor pencil weighs 5 grams and the Koh-i-noor weighs 12 grams, ie: more than twice the weight of Prismas. Imagine how heavy a box of 120 would be in comparison to the Prismas or other pencils! But oh, they blend so beautifully with OMS (I use Art Spectrum brand OMS) - plus you can colour them really dark or with a lighter touch and get a great graduation of colour. The lead is soft - softer than Prismas. In particular, I use the pink one for doing the blush on cheeks.

My Gallery My Blog

Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #2403
Kookie Creator

Send a message via ICQ to jkminor Send a message via MSN to jkminor Send a message via Yahoo to jkminor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp2u View Post
I LOVE my Prismacolor pencils. I have the 120 set and Gamsol. I've never had very good luck blending with Gamsol for some reason. Today I bought a bottle of baby oil and tried that. It worked so much better for me. The colors just floated over the paper and blended effortlessly. I am 100% sold on using baby oil. AND it is SO much less expensive than Gamsol. Thanks ladies for your experiences and impressions!

Happy stamping!
Do you just use the same blending stumps with baby oil that you do the mineral spirits? Does it mess up your paper any?

Hugs
Jaunice
Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #2404
Mad Swapper

i have been using my polycolors all weekend and oh boy i love them more and more! i really want to complete my set! as someone said - if only my money would increase at the same rate as my wish list...

i have a bunch of make it crafty images to do next - boy are they intricate - i couldn't imagine coloring them with copics....
Old 06-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #2405
Insane Embellisher

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetostamp3 View Post
Wow Kathy, that's adorable! You did a wonderful job on the coloring, it's terrific!!
Thank you pcm2004, cerridwen3301, lorraineBK, lovetostamp3!!! I so appreciate your comments! So nice to get feedback from others and share tips with!

I still have "cart" open with Dick Blick, but I just went to Micheals and bought a set of Derwent Coloursoft pencils (24) with a 50% off coupon! I can't wait to try them out. Hopefully, I'll do something worthy of sharing!!!!!

Kathy
Let your light so shine before men...glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matt. 5:16 My blog MyGallery Heartfelt Creations DT
Old 06-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #2406
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosekathleenr View Post
Thank you pcm2004, cerridwen3301, lorraineBK, lovetostamp3!!! I so appreciate your comments! So nice to get feedback from others and share tips with!

I still have "cart" open with Dick Blick, but I just went to Micheals and bought a set of Derwent Coloursoft pencils (24) with a 50% off coupon! I can't wait to try them out. Hopefully, I'll do something worthy of sharing!!!!!

Kathy
Hi Kathy, totally off-topic, but did you know that the link in your signature to your Blog is non-existant? The links to Elphine House and your gallery are OK - just not your blog. Just thought I would let you know......

Jocelyn

My Gallery My Blog

Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #2407
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnephelps View Post
It really makes you want to stretch and grow with your coloring, doesn't it? I particularly appreciated her remarks on scumbling with a stiff brush, to blend but keeping a workable surface.

I love the blending pencils but they tend to burnish the surface so it has no tooth left to hold additional pencil. I guess that's why we love our solvents to blend with so much.

Do you know what kind of blending marker that was? I liked her tip about keeping three to use on light, medium and dark colors. She also mentioned you could refill it, I guess she means with the 90% stuff (I am not sure what denatured alcohol is)?

Are some of our blender pens the same, like the Dove blender, where you could refill it with alcohol? I would be more inclined to buy some if they were refillable, I have never purchased a blender pen before.
It looks like it is a Prismacolor clear blender. See a close up at Cheap Joes here:

I have a question about my Prismas. Do any of you have a hard time sharpening them? I have the Prisma sharpener and hold my pencil still while rotating the sharpener but I still get a lot of breakage! It's almost like the sharpener hits hard spots in the wood or something. I don't know if this is common or if I just ended up with a really poor wood quality set.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #2408
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

It's common... and I agree, I think it is just as much flaws in the wood as interior breakage.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #2409
Mad Swapper

I haven't had any problems with sharpening my prismas. I use an electric sharpener and then after every 5 or 6 prismas I sharpen a regular lead pencil to keep it from clogging. I have every pencil available and have had no issues. I have tried the manual sharpeners and for me they don't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danac View Post
It looks like it is a Prismacolor clear blender. See a close up at Cheap Joes here:

I have a question about my Prismas. Do any of you have a hard time sharpening them? I have the Prisma sharpener and hold my pencil still while rotating the sharpener but I still get a lot of breakage! It's almost like the sharpener hits hard spots in the wood or something. I don't know if this is common or if I just ended up with a really poor wood quality set.

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 06-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #2410
Matboard Maniac

These are such an investment, and I have been doing a lot of homework as I am ready to move beyond Prismacolors. I **think*** I have it narrowed down to either Faber Castell Polychromos OR Lyra Rembrandt Polycolors, which are both oil based. I know I can mix and match, but I would like to start out with as big a set as I can afford and fill in from there.

I found some Faber Castell videos on YouTube that talks about their products. I learned some interesting things - for instance their 120 color palette is indexed across all their product lines, so you can get the same shade in a oil-based colored pencil, watercolor pencil, pastel, etc. and work back and forth.
YouTube - ‪Faber-Castell's Polychromos Color Pencils‬‏
YouTube - ‪Faber-Castell - Polychromos Color Pencil Demonstration‬‏
YouTube - ‪Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer Watercolor Pencils‬‏
YouTube - ‪Faber-Castell PITT pastel pencils‬‏

Now I'm off to see if Lyra has any similar info!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #2411

Right now it is way cheaper to buy the big Faber Castell sets than to buy smaller sets and fill in. At Blick the set of 120 Polychromos is $150, which is .34 cheaper per pencil compared to buying them individually. That is a HUGE difference in price! I am really really really wanting a set of the FC Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils - that full set is $150 too - .39 cheaper per pencil! Crazy.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #2412
Mad Swapper

i have both and i have to say i prefer the lyra - they are just a dream to work with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnephelps View Post
These are such an investment, and I have been doing a lot of homework as I am ready to move beyond Prismacolors. I **think*** I have it narrowed down to either Faber Castell Polychromos OR Lyra Rembrandt Polycolors, which are both oil based. I know I can mix and match, but I would like to start out with as big a set as I can afford and fill in from there.

I found some Faber Castell videos on YouTube that talks about their products. I learned some interesting things - for instance their 120 color palette is indexed across all their product lines, so you can get the same shade in a oil-based colored pencil, watercolor pencil, pastel, etc. and work back and forth.
YouTube - ‪Faber-Castell's Polychromos Color Pencils‬‏
YouTube - ‪Faber-Castell - Polychromos Color Pencil Demonstration‬‏
YouTube - ‪Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer Watercolor Pencils‬‏
YouTube - ‪Faber-Castell PITT pastel pencils‬‏

Now I'm off to see if Lyra has any similar info!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #2413
Mad Swapper

just ordered the rest of the lyra polycolors i need to complete my set YAY! i am so excited that i actually paid the extra $2 to have them arrive a day early and i NEVER do something like that :P
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #2414
Stampin' Fool

LOL money well spent !!

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #2415
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301 View Post
just ordered the rest of the lyra polycolors i need to complete my set YAY! i am so excited that i actually paid the extra $2 to have them arrive a day early and i NEVER do something like that :P
Woo hoo Marti!! You've got to be super excited! I can't wait to see what you create with them
Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #2416
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to cjcape521
Default Big hugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
It's common... and I agree, I think it is just as much flaws in the wood as interior breakage.
Hey Dini, just wanted to thank you for those images, I've already started to color! Thanx!~~Cheri
Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #2417
Mad Swapper

i am dana! i worked on a very detailed make it crafty stamp today - a little boot house - love it! it is for a post friday.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #2418
Kookie Creator

Send a message via ICQ to jkminor Send a message via MSN to jkminor Send a message via Yahoo to jkminor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnierose View Post
Alma, I wud so appreciate something like this... I have all 120 prismas, but sadly, don't have a lot of experience using them.. I wanna learn! thks
This would be so awesome. I would love it. Maybe skin tones.. jeans...etc? I cant wait... so awesome.

Hugs
Jaunice
Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #2419
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldolphins View Post
I haven't had any problems with sharpening my prismas. I use an electric sharpener and then after every 5 or 6 prismas I sharpen a regular lead pencil to keep it from clogging. I have every pencil available and have had no issues. I have tried the manual sharpeners and for me they don't work.
Thanks so much for the tip Charlene! I've never heard about using a lead pencil every so often. My problem is usually when I am coloring with my prismas I am mobile, hence the hand sharpener. It's just frustrating to loose about 2" over the weekend on one pencil from breakage.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #2420
Stampin' Fool

I read somewhere that a Helix sharpener (handheld) works well. It looks like all other handheld sharpeners but it's supposed to be better. I think Michael's carries them.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #2421
Mad Swapper

i too use an electric sharpener i got years ago at staples. never have had any trouble with lead breaking...
Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #2422
Insane Embellisher

Heart Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBear2 View Post
Hi Kathy, totally off-topic, but did you know that the link in your signature to your Blog is non-existant? The links to Elphine House and your gallery are OK - just not your blog. Just thought I would let you know......

Jocelyn

Thank you so much for letting me know Jocelyn!!! I wonder how long it's been like that, lol! All fixed now!

Kathy
Let your light so shine before men...glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matt. 5:16 My blog MyGallery Heartfelt Creations DT
Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #2423
Insane Embellisher

BTW...I use an electric sharpener also for my prismas and do the lead pencil here and there also! I have never had luck with handhelds, it seems to put too much pressure on the lead and they were breaking a lot.

Also, Dini, can't wait to see your article. Any idea when it may be out?

Kathy
Old 06-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #2424

I don't know! It's in the hands of the powers that be, but things are pretty crazy in the background now with CHA and SU convention coming up.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #2425
Mad Swapper

i could cry! i ordered the rest of the polycolor pencils i needed to complete my set and even payed extra so they would get here today. well i waited anxiously - checking my porch all day and nothing. so this evening i get on DB and look up my order to check the tracking number and it says they were delivered at 10:36...not to THIS house they weren't! i filed a claim with fed ex but i sure won't have it resolved before i leave on vacation saturday BOO HOO!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #2426
Stampin' Fool

How disappointed you must be. I would call Dick Blick and just let them know what happened. This is when a required signature is a good thing. Unfortunately they don't always require a signature. Did you check to see that the address they have on DB is correct? I hope this works out for you. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #2427
Mad Swapper

rejoicing! apparently the fed ex truck came as my son was leaving for work and they gave the box to him. woohoo! altho really bad decision by the truck driver.....
Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 AM   #2428
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301 View Post
rejoicing! apparently the fed ex truck came as my son was leaving for work and they gave the box to him. woohoo! altho really bad decision by the truck driver.....
Great that you got them and don't have to hassel with the claim!
2014 100 in 100 Challenge round #2 40/100
Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #2429
Stampin' Fool

That is great news. I love happy endings.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #2430
Inking Addict

Glad you got your package!

I ordered the rest of the prismas I needed from DB yesterday. It was my first order from them. Shipping was almost as much as the order, but that's ok! I had the stuff in cart forever and couldn't decide what to do. I was trying to branch out from copics and got the prismas then everyone here started throwing out all these other pencils and I didn't know what to do. I finally decided to finish the prisma collection and go from there. Who knew it would be so involved?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #2431

YOU find what works for YOU and USE it - don't ever feel like you have to use what other people are using! We are all so different, and have different preferences.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #2432
Inking Addict

so far nothing is working for me I'll get it eventually! I hope

My Blog- A work in progress
Old 06-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #2433

Don't sell yourself short... I took a peek at your blog and it looks like you're doing great to me! Just keep practicing. Have fun with your new pencils.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #2434
Die Cut Diva

New to this thread - hello!

I've done some coloring with a set of Reeves water color pencils (24) with mineral oil. I haven't been that impressed with how they blend. I've seen a couple Prisma tuts/videos, and went into JoAnn's today with a couple 50% off coupons hoping I could get an entry level set to try.

Turns out Joanns has Prisma Watercolor pencils on clearance, and they had one 36-count tin left. They also had some PC pencils not marked as watercolor. So I got a set of 36 for $25. They also had a colored pencil accesory kit, with the colorless blenders (marker and pencil), pencil lengthener, drawing pencil, flip sharpener, kneaded eraser, and another eraser for $8 so I got that too.

So - I assume PC water color pencils are what everyone's using and not the plain PC pencils - is $25 for the 36 tin a good deal?

I'll look through some of the thread, but 61 pages is a lot of chatter! Any tips or good tutorials for a newbie?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #2435

Hi Makalah...! Watercolor pencils are meant to be blended with water - mineral oil and mineral spirits work best with oil and wax based pencils, as the solvents break down the oil/wax binders and and make the pigment easy to move around. The kit you got is meant to be used with 'regular' colored pencils, like Prismacolor Premier or Softcore line (those we'd called the 'regular' colored pencils).

Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 06-17-2011 at 08:04 PM..
Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #2436
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Hi Makalah...! Watercolor pencils are meant to be blended with water - mineral oil and mineral spirits work best with oil and wax based pencils, as the solvents break down the oil/wax binders and and make the pigment easy to move around. The kit you got is meant to be used with 'regular' colored pencils, like Prismacolor Premier or Softcore line (those we'd called the 'regular' colored pencils).

Thanks for the info!

Now I feel stupid! Sure enough I just tried using water with my cheap, older watercolor pencils, and voila (although it made the paper raw as I don't have smooth watercolor paper). When explaining how bummed I was about now owning two sets of watercolor pencils and STILL not being able to do the gamsol technique I wanted, even my boyfriend pointed out that water and oils wouldn't mix. d'oh!

So... anyone looking for a good deal on a brand new set of Prismacolor watercolor pencils?! PM me! You can't use gamsol, but water is cheaper anyway!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #2437
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
YOU find what works for YOU and USE it - don't ever feel like you have to use what other people are using! We are all so different, and have different preferences.
Like!

Can you tell I'm a Facebook guy?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #2438
Inking Addict

I'm going to stick it out with my prismacolors for now. I thought it would be a lot like copics but its so different, well at least for me. I do much better with the copics but I am swearing off them until I have the entire set, which could take some time. Hair is going to drive me nuts! I need to get that down and its harder than I thought it was going to be

My Blog- A work in progress
Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #2439
Mad Swapper

I have been using prismas and gamsol (or OMS) for awhile now. I liked the results most of the time but recently took an inexpensive class from my LSS and WOW! What a difference! I wasn't using the technique anywhere near it's potential and although I could still learn a lot, I love working with them so much more!

It's like anything - practice, practice, practice!

I have avoided copics (although I see so many beautiful cards coloured with them) but I really do love my prismas so am sticking to them! I colour most of my cards and 95% are done with prismas.

As a couple of people have already said, you find what works for you and go with that! As long as you're having fun, then you're doing it right!

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #2440
Embossing Fanatic

Charlene, what did you learn to do differently? I know that might be a hard question to answer but I've only learned by trial and error, so if there is something you could share, I would love to hear