Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 03:24 AM   #201
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Question on stumps

I have been using the stumps for blending, I am wearing off the points of the stumps. Am I blending to hard? Is there a way to sharpen them.

Lucy Allen aka mad muffin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-18-2009, 05:20 AM   #202
Mad Swapper

I think the tips just wear down from use because it is a soft paper. You can sharpen them with a finger nail file or sand paper. When I bought my stumps at an art supply store I picked up a tool just for this purpose. It has a handle and several layers of sandpaper-like sheets.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #203
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad muffin View Post
I have been using the stumps for blending, I am wearing off the points of the stumps. Am I blending to hard? Is there a way to sharpen them.

Lucy Allen aka mad muffin
Are you sanding the color off between uses? Cleaning the stumps is usually done with sanding paper or a nail file. I use nail files meant for acrylic nails. When I sand, I make sure to sand with the stump held at an angle so I can preserve, or sometimes repoint the tip.

V
Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #204
Inking Addict

i just bought some prisma pencils - i had tried some in a stamp store and LOVED them - BUT...

2 or 3 of them seem to have loose leads. they break easily and fall out - i've tried 3 different pencil sharpeners and the same thing keeps happening - but just to 1 or 2 of the colors. it's like the lead is smaller than the hole it's in!

has this happened to anyone else or am i just CHALLENGED! LOL!
Old 04-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #205
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tami sanders View Post
i just bought some prisma pencils - i had tried some in a stamp store and LOVED them - BUT...

2 or 3 of them seem to have loose leads. they break easily and fall out - i've tried 3 different pencil sharpeners and the same thing keeps happening - but just to 1 or 2 of the colors. it's like the lead is smaller than the hole it's in!

It's not you, it's the pencils! I've had the same thing happen with maybe 2 out of a set of 48. I just recently completed my collection by ordering the rest of the colors from open stock. I just replaced the ones that wouldn't sharpen. BTW, congrats on your purchase. You won't be sorry.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #206
Cardstock Collector

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagechick View Post
Will the Gina K cardstock I just ordered work well with the pencil/gamesol method?
What is the pencil/gamesol.. method.. how is it done.. I love prismacolor pencils.. I wish I could find a really cheap price on the big set.. Let me know what gamesol is.. Thanks
Keep creating..
jantim

Jantim
Old 04-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #207
Inking Addict

well thanks for letting me know it wasn't just me! LOL!

i really like them, but they aren't cheap! and i was very frustrated when the leads kept breaking - they just seemed to be wobbly...

none of the ones i tried at the store - about a dozen or so in assorted colors - seemed to have that problem, so i was worried it was the sharperner or something!
Old 04-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #208
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tami sanders View Post

If you bought them open stock (individually), it's likely they were dropped during shipping or stocking. I would return/exchange them. This happened to me with some that I bought open stock, but the ones I bought in a set were fine.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #209
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantim View Post
What is the pencil/gamesol.. method.. how is it done.. I love prismacolor pencils.. I wish I could find a really cheap price on the big set.. Let me know what gamesol is.. Thanks
Keep creating..
jantim
I just saw a set at www.carpediemstore.com. It was the 132 piece set w.new colors for $89.00. That's a really good price. Gamsol is a blending solution. I use baby oil instead.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Old 04-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #210
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Keep creating..
jantim
Gamsol is a name brand of odorless mineral spirits (OMS). Mona Lisa is another brand. Actually, the Mona Lisa container I have says "Mona Lisa Odorless Paint Thinner" on the front. But on the back under ingredients, it says: mineral spirits.

Gamsol and Mona Lisa are artist grade OMS, so they have little to no odor to them. You still need to follow directions regarding using them, however.

Here is a link to the tutorial (called Gamsol Magic) in the resources section.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:55 AM   #211
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

Thanks for starting this thread! I am only on #26 so it will take me a bit to catch up and jot down all the great ideas and tips.

While I like the look of the copic markers, I am not about to spend more $$$ for something else when the prisma pencils work perfectly fine. In fact, I was so fortunate that my Dad gave me his pencil collection (he is an artist) at the first of the year. His Parkinson symptoms are getting worse and he was not able to do some techniques. I have been slow at getting them organized and using them. Perhaps with more techinque tips, I will.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #212
Pearl-ExPert

Default Deco Pink Prismacolor Pencil

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryp View Post
I love my prismacolor pencils! I've never been able to find deco pink. Do you have that color in the prisma marker?
Ditto to the Deco Pink pencil. I am sure that if I were to keep reading, I would find it. But, I do not want to forget to ask. Does anyone know where I can find this one? Is it in a particular set? Thanks ahead of time!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #213
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post
Ditto to the Deco Pink pencil. I am sure that if I were to keep reading, I would find it. But, I do not want to forget to ask. Does anyone know where I can find this one? Is it in a particular set? Thanks ahead of time!
I think these must be older pencils? I have Deco Pink, Deco Aqua and a couple of others that I don't remember. I think I must have had them since the mid-nineties, though. I noticed when I was filling out the chart that a lot of the names have changed as well.
I'm a Senior Angel. Click here to find out about this wonderful program. RIP, Leota!
Old 04-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #214
Rubber Obsessor

THANK you so much for this thread - it has been so helpful. I am bidding on a 120 set on ebay for 51.50. It is over in a few minutes. Keeping my fingers crossed. Michaels has Prisma pensicls and markers on sale this week for 40% off. Thank you again for all your advice !!!!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #215
Insane Embellisher

Great to know about Michaels - our new store has a sign that says they honor other stores coupons and will price match. NOT that they had the HL flyer to show pencils 30% off. And I never made it back by with a HL flyer.
But 40% off is even better! Wonder if they'll have any that I'm missing??

Also, I have a new card up using the pencil/baby oil method. You can see it on my blog and I'm also going to upload it right now in my gallery.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #216
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

Here is a link to my latest blog post where I used prismas for a card. http://craftharsis.blogspot.com/2009...-to-color.html Unfortunately the picture isn't the best but you get the idea.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:41 AM   #217
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDragoness View Post
Here is a link to my latest blog post where I used prismas for a card. http://craftharsis.blogspot.com/2009...-to-color.html Unfortunately the picture isn't the best but you get the idea.

Very nice! When you click on the pic and get the close up, the colors are great!!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 AM   #218
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
Great to know about Michaels - our new store has a sign that says they honor other stores coupons and will price match. NOT that they had the HL flyer to show pencils 30% off. And I never made it back by with a HL flyer.

Also, I have a new card up using the pencil/baby oil method. You can see it on my blog and I'm also going to upload it right now in my gallery.

I checked out your gallery and you have made some very lovely cards!! I really love that one you did with Friendship Tree....so Springy!!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #219
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Cindy!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #220
Kookie Creator

Oh gosh, I missed chatting here this weekend, but I must say I had the most amazing couple of days! My parents invaded and it was a blast watching them with my kids. It was a great visit, and after they left, I indulged in a bit of me time as I haven't had much of that at all in the last two weeks. The kiddos decided to be angels and let me have my time. I managed to get a boat load of coloring done!

I barricaded myself off from the kids and colored my little heart out! I pulled the coordinating colors for the MME Grow line of papers and used just those all weekend. It was so freeing to not have to worry about what colors I was going to use. I just colored and blended until the image was done and then snagged another image out of my pile. Seriously, I didn't do a final count of images, but I think I got at least 10 done and most of those made up into cards. They still need embellies, but I ran out of time. No pictures yet. I'm waiting to get the cards all done and then do one photo shoot.

I got the 12 colors to bring me up to 132 last week as well and have found a new favorite color combo for Caucasian faces. Use a base of Seashell Pink and shade it with Nectar. It gave my people such fresh, peachy tones, almost lightly sunkissed. I love how they came out! If you only have the 120, and aren't sure about going the extra 12, I highly recommend getting at least those two colors. Moss green is also a great addition. It's a shade lighter than Kelp Green. I used those three throughout the weekend. Loved them!

Has anyone bought the 132 as a full set in the tin? Please PM me if you did. I have a question about the full boxed set.

V
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #221
Pearl-ExPert

Default Caucasian Faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Oh gosh, I missed chatting here this weekend, but I must say I had the most amazing couple of days! My parents invaded and it was a blast watching them with my kids. It was a great visit, and after they left, I indulged in a bit of me time as I haven't had much of that at all in the last two weeks. The kiddos decided to be angels and let me have my time. I managed to get a boat load of coloring done!

I barricaded myself off from the kids and colored my little heart out! I pulled the coordinating colors for the MME Grow line of papers and used just those all weekend. It was so freeing to not have to worry about what colors I was going to use. I just colored and blended until the image was done and then snagged another image out of my pile. Seriously, I didn't do a final count of images, but I think I got at least 10 done and most of those made up into cards. They still need embellies, but I ran out of time. No pictures yet. I'm waiting to get the cards all done and then do one photo shoot.

I got the 12 colors to bring me up to 132 last week as well and have found a new favorite color combo for Caucasian faces. Use a base of Seashell Pink and shade it with Nectar. It gave my people such fresh, peachy tones, almost lightly sunkissed. I love how they came out! If you only have the 120, and aren't sure about going the extra 12, I highly recommend getting at least those two colors. Moss green is also a great addition. It's a shade lighter than Kelp Green. I used those three throughout the weekend. Loved them!

Has anyone bought the 132 as a full set in the tin? Please PM me if you did. I have a question about the full boxed set.

V
Thanks so much for posting the tip for caucasian faces! Has anyone tried colors out for Asian skin tones yet?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #222
Stazon Splitcoast

Dont forget to check Ebay for Prismas...I got the set of 120 for $52.00! There were lots of other sets and one was about to expire for $31.00. My set came quickly and they were in the original factory sealed tin. They were all in great condition when I sharpened them. I then purchased from Dick blick the new 12 I didnt have. Now I am all set til they release more new colors...lol
Blessings.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #223
Vintage Vixen

I was able to do some coloring over the weekend and then made two cards yesterday. The cards are posted in my gallery here and here.

After I finished my coloring, I inked up the images with Versamark and clear heat embossed then. WOW! This really pumped up the colors and made them look like a store-bought sticker. I bet people will not believe that I used "colored pencils" to create them. (You know the types: the ones that think you need expensive markers to get such vibrant colors.)
Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #224
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
I was able to do some coloring over the weekend and then made two cards yesterday. The cards are posted in my gallery here and here.
The cards look great! Isn't it amazing how rich of a color you can get out of something as simple as a colored pencil?

V
Old 04-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #225
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
The cards look great! Isn't it amazing how rich of a color you can get out of something as simple as a colored pencil?

V
I have some of my cards on display at my local scrapbooking store and people act incredulous when the owner tells them that I used colored pencils. They almost don't believe it! LOL! Some of them will get to see it for themselves on April 30 when I teach a coloring class.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #226
Insane Embellisher

Oh - they are wonderful missiowa81
Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #227
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Oh - they are wonderful missiowa81
Thanky! The cards aren't nearly as inspired as my coloring. LOL! I have a hard time making "generic" cards. I do better when I know who and what I'm making the card for.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #228
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Thanky! The cards aren't nearly as inspired as my coloring. LOL! I have a hard time making "generic" cards. I do better when I know who and what I'm making the card for.
My daughter is under the impression that any card I make must be for her.

I took a handful of cards into my LSS scrap club last month as my "what I've done with my time" stuff to show. One lady looked at them and after much oohing and aaahing asked which copics I'd used. She would not believe me when I told her I used colored pencils.

V
Old 04-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #229
Kookie Creator

missiowa, those are beautiful cards. thanks for sharing. I never thought of heat embossing after coloring.........oooohhhhhhhhh
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #230
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

After I finished my coloring, I inked up the images with Versamark and clear heat embossed then. WOW! This really pumped up the colors and made them look like a store-bought sticker. I bet people will not believe that I used "colored pencils" to create them. (You know the types: the ones that think you need expensive markers to get such vibrant colors.)
Absolutely fabulous coloring work and card designs! You should be very proud that you have such talent! You must have loved coloring when you were little too!! Super Job!!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #231
Mad Swapper

ok, just wanted to vent a little here...I just found out that the prismacolor pencils I just ordered from ebay are not coming! The seller sent me a refund on Saturday with no explanation. Apparently, he sent a refund to all of the other folks who bought a set from him. I had been so anxious to use my pencils since I already got my other accesssories from DickBlick.com. Aaaaaarrrggghhh! The set came with a sharpener and I could have bought one from DickBlick with my order. I should have known to just get one anyway. This is the second time I have been burned on a craft related purchase from ebay. But at least I did not have to open up a dispute case to ebay and paypal to get my money back. Now just waiting for the pending on paypal for the refund to be completed...

The thing is that the seller only had 1 negative feedback when I bought the item and when I checked today to see if anyone else got their pencils, I was astounded to see many neutral to negative feedback regarding items that did not get shipped. The folks who bought the pencil sets got an automatic refund via paypal. I had sent an email to him a couple of days ago with no response. When I researched the other "satisfied" customers, their items arrived 2 weeks after purchasing. You try to give people the benefit of the doubt and then BAM!

Ok, done venting...thanks for listening!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #232
Kookie Creator

Alma, how frustrating! Especially when you're on the edge of your seat awaiting your delivery!!
Sorry you have to go through this!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #233
Stazon Splitcoast

OH no...I am so sorry...I was bummed when I didnt win the first three auctions that I tried to get the 120 count tin in, but this is insane...wonder what happened with the seller...definately not good business. Please dont give up..try try again. Blessings.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #234
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

Ohhhh I never thought about heat embossing over the coloring what a great idea to make the colors pop. Gotta try that now. Alma sorry to hear that your e-bay deal went sour that's a bummer.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #235
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1r601 View Post
ok, just wanted to vent a little here...I just found out that the prismacolor pencils I just ordered from ebay are not coming! The seller sent me a refund on Saturday with no explanation. Apparently, he sent a refund to all of the other folks who bought a set from him. I had been so anxious to use my pencils since I already got my other accesssories from DickBlick.com. Aaaaaarrrggghhh!
Well, that just sucks!! Are there other auctions you could try again on? I know it's a bit more than what you were paying, but I did see them earlier today on Amazon for $78.

V
Old 04-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #236
Mad Swapper

Can you tell us the numbers for seashell pink and necar. I would really appreciate it. I have a terrible time with light colored faces. thanks
Quote:

V

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #237
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Keep creating..
jantim
Didn't know if anyone gave this to you but I found this tutorial very helpful.
http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co..._and_pris.html

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #238
Pearl-ExPert

I went to the Prismacolor site and found this....Seashell Pink PC 1093 and Nectar PC 1092. HTH
Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #239
Inking Addict

Michaels has them on sale. Which set would a person get to try them out, aren't there different kinds? I have only used the SU pencils with the blender pen.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #240
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Jo-Ann's has some 50% off coupons for this week and week-end and they do sell the Prisma's, I believe cheaper than Michael's (set of 120, was $169.99??)
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino