Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #2281
Stampin' Fool

That's a good idea. I don't see why not.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #2282
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltiesll View Post
Can anyone tell me about colourless blender pens, how do they work with Prisma pencils, do you load them with Gamsol, or whatever you are using or just use them they way they come????
My stepmom uses this recipe she found here at SCS:
Is there a recipe for homemade blending solution?
She mixes it up in amber dropper bottles she gets from her local pharmacy. She just fills up one of the Marvy blender pens sold at Michaels, etc. It does seem to work pretty well, especially if travelling. But I prefer the OMS and blending stumps.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #2283
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Is that for blending wax/oil-based pencils, Dana, or for blending water-soluble things?

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 05-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #2284
Embossing Fanatic

She uses it with her Prismas and she made me up a bottle. I think it was a teacher of hers that first used it. I am thinking the glycerin probably does about the same thing as baby oil.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #2285
Embossing Fanatic

Well all of this talk really got me to thinking (always a dangerous thing!!). I haven't tried that blender pen since I started using OMS. So I did a little experiment this morning.
What I did find is that the you cannot "scrub" at your paper with the blender pen solution. The water content will start to pill your paper. But it does do a pretty good job and like I said, would be perfect for traveling.
And you just get off the excess color off the tip by scribbling on scratch paper.
Attached Thumbnails
blendersolutionsc.jpg   blendersolution2sc.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #2286
Mad Swapper

guess what?1 i was asked to be on the Prisma & Other Coloring Mediums design team for the Outlawz -yay!

the challenge that started today was embossing - i used the current SCS sketch (a great one)

i had this image already colored and can't remember which pencils i used for it but i think it was the polychromos...
Old 05-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #2287
Insane Embellisher

Hi there!

I'm finally taking the plunge from Walmart GP paper to a better quality...about time! I've tried SU and PTI, but not crazy about them. I've been looking at Neenah and Beckett brands. I know there's no one answer to this, but any suggestions? This is for doing Prismacolor pencils/gamsol technique...thanks!

Kathy
Let your light so shine before men...glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matt. 5:16 My blog MyGallery Heartfelt Creations DT CottageCutz DT
Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #2288
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosekathleenr View Post
Hi there!

I'm finally taking the plunge from Walmart GP paper to a better quality...about time! I've tried SU and PTI, but not crazy about them. I've been looking at Neenah and Beckett brands. I know there's no one answer to this, but any suggestions? This is for doing Prismacolor pencils/gamsol technique...thanks!

Kathy
I really like Gina K's Pure Luxury Base Weight cardstock. It's super smooth and works fabulously with the gamsol technique.

-V
Old 05-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #2289
Stampin' Fool

Speaking of paper.......last night I colored images I had stamped on smooth watercolor paper. I used Derwent Coloursoft pencils and Gamsol. The pencil barely blended. Would using smooth paper have any affect on the blending? I have other toothier watercolor paper, Gina K's paper, and Flourishes. Would one of those work better. I've been using pencils for quite a while so this blending, or non blending, puzzles me.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #2290
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineBK View Post
Speaking of paper.......last night I colored images I had stamped on smooth watercolor paper. I used Derwent Coloursoft pencils and Gamsol. The pencil barely blended. Would using smooth paper have any affect on the blending? I have other toothier watercolor paper, Gina K's paper, and Flourishes. Would one of those work better. I've been using pencils for quite a while so this blending, or non blending, puzzles me.
Watercolor paper is very porous and would absorb up all your gamsol without much blending. What works great for water does not work great for Gamsol. Even smooth water color paper is too absorbant. Try the Gina K or Flourishes paper instead.

-V
Old 05-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #2291
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Hi there!

Kathy
I love Neenah Solar White for this technique. I don't use anything else.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #2292
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to cjcape521

Quote:
Hi there!

Kathy
For pencils I use Gina K~~I have used Cryogen, but try to save that for markers. I don't use OMS, so I also use Strathmore WC paper, but it made sense not to if you are using a blending solution~~
@ Marti, great images, love the whimsey!
@ Dana, great coloring! Love the pink!
@ Dini~~did you receive those images yet?? I know it really is snail mail there!
I'm waiting for an order from DB, I finally took the plunge and ordered FC Polychromos! Also got the DW blender/burnisher, can't wait!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #2293
Insane Embellisher

Default Paper

Thanks everyone...I knew I came to the right place!

Kathy
Let your light so shine before men...glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matt. 5:16 My blog MyGallery Heartfelt Creations DT CottageCutz DT
Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #2294
Rubber Obsessor

At this present time I'm using Gina K Pure Luxury - mainly because I went mad and bought 150 sheets of the stuff - and I'm finding it superb for Prismas but not mad about it for Copics though, prefer the Neenah for those.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #2295
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

Hi Eels, I see you are another Aussie, so was wondering where you got your Gina K paper, was it in Australia or did you import it?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #2296
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
Hi Eels, I see you are another Aussie, so was wondering where you got your Gina K paper, was it in Australia or did you import it?
Hi Jan,
I've just been searching through my receipts for craft stuff I've bought thinking/hoping I could find the details of this purchase - to no avail - I had a bit of a clear out the other day and most likely discarded the invoice....BUT I'm pretty certain that I got it from the Gina K Designs site as it's not available in Aussie (or wasn't when I wanted it).
I actually bought 3 lots of 25 sheets as that fitted into a post package economically apparently.
Anyway here is a link to the page on the website
Pure Luxury Card Stock
Price is showing as US$34.80 / per 25 sheets and with the exchange rate the way it is now it's not a bad price.

Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Elaine
Old 05-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #2297
Insane Embellisher

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by eels View Post
Hi Jan,
I've just been searching through my receipts for craft stuff I've bought thinking/hoping I could find the details of this purchase - to no avail - I had a bit of a clear out the other day and most likely discarded the invoice....BUT I'm pretty certain that I got it from the Gina K Designs site as it's not available in Aussie (or wasn't when I wanted it).
I actually bought 3 lots of 25 sheets as that fitted into a post package economically apparently.
Anyway here is a link to the page on the website
Pure Luxury Card Stock
Price is showing as US$34.80 / per 25 sheets and with the exchange rate the way it is now it's not a bad price.

Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Elaine

Yikes! You have to pay a lot of money for supplies! I'd be broke if i lived there! I'm so sorry!

Do you know Elisabeth Bell designs? I just became a DT member for a new company in Australia that just started selling stamps for her designs. They're in Autstralia! Little less expensive for you. It's called Elphine house Australia. I LOVE her stamp designs and honored to be on the DT...first ever on a DT for me!

Blessings!

Kathy
Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #2298
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, well, expensive is the name of the game in Australia and so many yummy things are just not available here which is why I visit ebay a lot and buy stash stuff from the US and/or UK.

I was recently sussing out the Mini Milk Carton die from Sizzix and was gobsmacked at the price and that was getting it through a SU demonstrator. Cheaper buying it direct from OS via ebay.

I too love Elisabeth Bell designs and have a few of her stamps and will investigate the site you mentioned thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #2299
Insane Embellisher

Eek! That's almost $1.40 per sheet. I think I might just stick to my S.U. whisper white for a little longer! LOL. I have some friends going over to the U.S.A. later this year, I might get them to check it out, they are into this stuff too. Drop in and chat on our Aussie Aussie Aussie forum sometime Eels, we are a nice mob of sheilas. LOL.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #2300
Rubber Obsessor

I think I have been to the Aussie Aussie Aussie forum at one stage but cannot figure out how to find it now, where's it lurking?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #2301
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcape521 View Post
For pencils I use Gina K~~I have used Cryogen, but try to save that for markers. I don't use OMS, so I also use Strathmore WC paper, but it made sense not to if you are using a blending solution~~
@ Marti, great images, love the whimsey!
@ Dana, great coloring! Love the pink!
@ Dini~~did you receive those images yet?? I know it really is snail mail there!
I'm waiting for an order from DB, I finally took the plunge and ordered FC Polychromos! Also got the DW blender/burnisher, can't wait!
oh you are going to LOVE the derwent blending set AND the polychromos!!! next on my list - lyra polycolor and inktense...
Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #2302
Mad Swapper

funny blending story for ya

i rarely ever use any sort of solvent blender - OMS, baby oil, goo gone. but for my classes i like to show all the different methods and different looks for students to see. so i am working on an image using baby oil and it is just totally not working. then my hubby comes by and says what is wrong with that baby oil? i said what do you mean. he said well it's separating. i look at the bottle (which i had gotten out of my shower ACK) and sure enough at the bottom is a very shallow layer. turns out it was mostly water! no wonder it wasn't blending! so i went out and got some new baby oil just for my studio and hope my work goes a little better today!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #2303
Insane Embellisher

Heart Your Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by true-2-you View Post
I just found this thread and so glad I did! I use about every medium there is but one of the companies I design for would prefer I use Prismacolors and Gamsol on their images. I went online today and downloaded a Prismacolor pencil color chart then marked the colors I have. I only has 47 and wanted them all but didn't want to buy the 132 piece set and have 47 duplicates. I found them individually @ Dick Blick's for just .88 cents a piece!!!! I ordered the rst of the ones I didn't have plus some more Very Fines. Can't wait for them to get here!
I posted a card today done with Prismacolors and Gamsol that incorporates a "hair" effect. I would love it if you came to check out my "Goat" card.

Hugs,
True

True - Ok, I visited your blog and got lost there for quite a while! Your things are beautiful!! I also picked up some great discounted supply resources that I've been looking for. Thanks so much...I'm now a follower!

Kathy
Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #2304
Insane Embellisher

Smile Paper

Quote:
Hi there!

Kathy

Thanks everyone for the paper info...I just ordered the Neenah paper in solar white and natural white from The Paper Mill Store. I can't wait to see the difference it makes when I'm coloring!

I use to be on this thread all the time last year. I stopped doing crafts for about a year, but now I'm back. I have a LOT of catching up to do on this thread!!! I appreciate all the great information everyone gives. There are some very creative people here! Dini, I love your work and remember you from last year.

Everything I know about coloring I learned on-line and here. I LOVE doing it! I wondered if anyone would like to give me feedback on how I'm doing and what I can do to improve it? I need to work on my photo taking, but these are a couple I recently did. Thanks! Kathy
Attached Thumbnails
crafts-033.jpg   crafts-029.jpg   021.jpg  
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #2305
Stampin' Fool

They're beautiful. I'm no expert but, in my opinion, you don't need to improve anything.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #2306
Mad Swapper

wow kathy i would have to agree. my OMS coloring never looks like that!!!

well i took the plunge and placed my latest dick blick order. added about 20 new colors to my coloursoft collection and got about 45 polycolor pencils. these will be my first oil based pencils.

i have also been playing with coloring white things so here are two i worked on yesterday. they are for my next class so that's why i wrote all over the little chef.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #2307
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301 View Post
oh you are going to LOVE the derwent blending set AND the polychromos!!! next on my list - lyra polycolor and inktense...
Ohhhhhh~~these pencils are yum-eeeeeeee! I bought some FC and the color is awesome~~I am soooo not going to be a Copic/Prisma girl after this, heehee!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #2308
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
funny blending story for ya

i rarely ever use any sort of solvent blender - OMS, baby oil, goo gone. but for my classes i like to show all the different methods and different looks for students to see. so i am working on an image using baby oil and it is just totally not working. then my hubby comes by and says what is wrong with that baby oil? i said what do you mean. he said well it's separating. i look at the bottle (which i had gotten out of my shower ACK) and sure enough at the bottom is a very shallow layer. turns out it was mostly water! no wonder it wasn't blending! so i went out and got some new baby oil just for my studio and hope my work goes a little better today!
LOL! Bet you thought you were going crazeeeee!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #2309
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the paper info...I just ordered the Neenah paper in solar white and natural white from The Paper Mill Store. I can't wait to see the difference it makes when I'm coloring!

I use to be on this thread all the time last year. I stopped doing crafts for about a year, but now I'm back. I have a LOT of catching up to do on this thread!!! I appreciate all the great information everyone gives. There are some very creative people here! Dini, I love your work and remember you from last year.

Everything I know about coloring I learned on-line and here. I LOVE doing it! I wondered if anyone would like to give me feedback on how I'm doing and what I can do to improve it? I need to work on my photo taking, but these are a couple I recently did. Thanks! Kathy

Oh, these are GORJUSS!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #2310
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
wow kathy i would have to agree. my OMS coloring never looks like that!!!

well i took the plunge and placed my latest dick blick order. added about 20 new colors to my coloursoft collection and got about 45 polycolor pencils. these will be my first oil based pencils.

i have also been playing with coloring white things so here are two i worked on yesterday. they are for my next class so that's why i wrote all over the little chef.

Marti, those Calla lillies are AWESOME!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #2311
Mad Swapper

thanks cheri!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #2312
Insane Embellisher

Thank you for the compliments! I still have lots more to learn, but that makes it fun!

Cerridwen3301 - I love your coloring with white! That's on my list to try working on ever since I saw Beate's card for the Double embossing tutorial. I want to try that white and gray effect.

Polychromos, coloursoft, polycolor sound interesting...have to check these out. I'll try anything...just can't get into Copics though.

Kathy
Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 AM   #2313
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via MSN to pcm2004 Send a message via Yahoo to pcm2004

These shares are awesome. I love the calla lillies and the Sugar Nellie/Elizabeth Bell images are wonderful. The coloring is inspiring. I haven't done much coloring lately, but when I do, I try NOT to use the OMS and blend using just the pencils themselves. I only have the prismacolor pencils - but the oil based ones sound interesting. when I first started on my artful adventute, it was with oil based paints.

Have you been to the SPA lately? Come see what I have been creating over at the Paper Spa
I Make cards for Operation Write Home
Visit myStampin' Up Website - where you will find all the latest greatest from Stampin' Up. The new catalog is GORGEOUS with alot of new fun stuff - and you can get it for free. Contact me for details.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #2314
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Polychromos, coloursoft, polycolor sound interesting...have to check these out. I'll try anything...just can't get into Copics though.

Kathy
I'm with you on this, Kathy... Last year I bought about 35 Copics and barely used them at all. I love my Prismas! Now I'm very tempted to try the polychromos.. hmmm?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #2315
Insane Embellisher

Eels, Aussie Aussie Aussie is in Chat Box Fun. If you just put Aussie Aussie Aussie in the search box you will find it.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #2316
Mad Swapper

heaven arrived in a box today!

a box from dick blick of course!

despite not being able to play with them because of housework, deadlines, doc appt, and general jack*&&ery from the four year old i am having my own personal rapture as i type :P

i ordered a 36 set of the lyra polycolor oil based plus some additional ones and then added a bunch of pencils to my growing derwent coloursoft collection thanks to a gift certificate from a super sweet friend!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #2317
Stampin' Fool

It's like Christmas - Dick Blick style - lol.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #2318
Polyshrink Goddess

OK, COLOR ME JEALOUS!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #2319
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

That is the set of polycolors that I have! Enjoy!

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #2320
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Father's Day~`

I colored this little guy up this afternoon~~whatcha' think???

Last edited by cjcape521; 08-21-2011 at 04:05 PM..