Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #2201
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

The Taiwan stumps are softer. The ends of mine are frayed, though, for lack of a better word, but they are older too. The ones from China are hard. I prefer the ones that say Creative Mark - not sure where they are manufactured.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #2202
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove13 View Post
One tip that was passed on to me was to use only stumps that were made in Taiwan because they just work much better. (don't know why).
I think this is one of those things that is so much personal preference. For me, I have stumps made in both China and Taiwan and find they both work the same. Literally, the only difference I have been able to see in the two is that the ones from China soak up more OMS up the shaft of the stump than the ones from Taiwan. This fact has made no impact at all in the overall performance.

V
Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #2203
Embossing Fanatic

My stumps are made in China. I got them at Michael's. I can try to find different ones but I am not sure if that is my problem or not. I have bad lighting so I went and got an OTT light today. I hope to get that set up this week.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #2204
Mad Swapper

an ott light is a MUST! makes a world of difference! i am another one that prefers the stumps from taiwan because they are softer. the ones from china i got at michaels seemed to scratch my paper....

also use a very light touch - i tend to be very heavy handed and have to always remind myself to use a light touch.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #2205

I flat cannot stamp without my Ott lite!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 04-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #2206
Embossing Fanatic

I'll have to look for taiwan stumps.

I really needed an OTT light for the past few years but always managed without it. I do ok with my Copics but for some reason these pencils are testing my vision lol! I can't see what I am doing so I finally broke down and bought one.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #2207
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to cjcape521

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBaach View Post
HI!

I just bought a 120 set of prismacolor pencils. I have a bunch of copics but wanted to try something different. I can't seem to get it to look right and it is really sad. I'm not going to give up just yet though.

I have PTI paper and am not sure if that is my issue, or my stumps, or if I'm just not using enough baby oil. *sigh*
Hi PB, welcome! I think you have to find a paper that works for YOU, I know I've tried so many and right now, water color paper is what I work on~~I do not use any blending tools, just pencils like Marti suggested. I find you get a more intense color that way. I have all the Prismas, and will order some FC at the first of the month. Check back on previous posts, Derwent studios have a hard core (?) and difficult to use as a base, but great for layering (IMHO!!!) Practice, practice, practice! It will come naturally soon enough. Dini has some comparisons on her blog (MamaDini's), Marti has some beginner classes, and there are some outstanding books out there. I have all the copics, and then decided to come back to my roots, LOL! Good luck and keep us posted with some of your work!
Cheri
Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #2208
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been looking over the posts on here, because I'm getting ready to start using my
prisma pencils after hardly touching them fo nearly 15 years (long story). I went to the Berol website yesterday and printed their color chart and found that not only do I have them all, I have a few that weren't on the chart. I assume Steel and Deco Yellow, Orange, Pink, Peach and Aqua have been discontinued.

I've never used gamsol, but years ago I used prismacolor blenders made by Berol that don't seem to exist any more either. They were kind of like a marker, but clear, with a fine point on one end and a broad tip on the other, and they blended the colored pencils beautifuly. Is anyone familiar with these? I'm thinking they must have been gamsol.

Free cat hair with every card!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #2209

The Deco line was discontinued, as were the Neons. Not sure about Steel.

You can use an alcohol colorless blender pen (ie. Copic, Touch, etc) to blend Prismacolors... that might be the same concept as the pen you had before. Otherwise, Prismacolor has a burnishing pencil that some people like. I don't use mine much anymore except in tight places.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #2210
Glitter Queen

Whoever's online, I was sondering if any of you have tried both, prismacolor pencils and Faber Castel Albrecht Duerer? water color pencils. My hands are getting old and sore, and wanted to try out the watercolor technique. Jay Jay from Germany has beautiful coloring, and it seems easy on the hands. I have another company's watercolor pencil set, but it must be inferior to Albrecht, tried on different watercolor paper, but all inferior. The Albrecht is pricey, so I'd like some input before making an investment. Can anyone help?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #2211

Welcome to Splitcoast!

The Albrecht Durer pencils are dreamy... I only have a few as fill-in colors because I have the full set of Derwent watercolor pencils. The Durers have very vivid colors, creamy laydown, and blend very well. The price difference between the 2 brands is about 60 cents per pencil - I think the Derwent pencils are great too, just missing a few colors for me.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 04-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #2212
Matboard Maniac

One of the techies for my die-cut machine told me about using VersaMark pen to blend....nice effect!

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #2213

To blend watercolor pencils? or Prismacolor? Did you try it? It seems like it would mess up the pen.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 04-30-2011, 04:01 AM   #2214
Pearl-ExPert

Default Derwent Metallic Pencils

I bought some of these and am not happy with them. They are really hard and I do not see any metallic sheen. I have tried them on black cs. Do you have any help or tips for me?
Thanks.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 AM   #2215
Mad Swapper

oh thats disappointing - i have been eyeing these...
Old 04-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #2216
Glitter Queen

Smile

Hi Larue,
I think I will be purchasing the Albrecht Durer Watercolor Pencil Set. My original question was in regards to sticking with the Prisma/gamsol technique or investing in the Albrecht watercolor Pencils to achieve beautiful blending of colors. I think the later is much easier on the hands, blending with the paper stump is cramping my hands. Derwent is the other brand name set, which also has great reviews. Thanks everyone for your input.
Sincerelyforyou
Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #2217
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincerelyforyou View Post
Hi Larue,
I think I will be purchasing the Albrecht Durer Watercolor Pencil Set. My original question was in regards to sticking with the Prisma/gamsol technique or investing in the Albrecht watercolor Pencils to achieve beautiful blending of colors. I think the later is much easier on the hands, blending with the paper stump is cramping my hands. Derwent is the other brand name set, which also has great reviews. Thanks everyone for your input.
Sincerelyforyou
You can use the Gamsol technique with watercolor pencils as well! I often mix and match depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

-V
Old 04-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #2218
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

If I was to invest in a book on Prismacolour techniques what one would all of you suggest?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #2219
Stampin' Fool

Default PENTEL ERASER

I just watched a video by Hero Arts. She used colored pencils without OMS and to blend, she used a Pentel Eraser. Has anyone used this technique?

YouTube - Color Pencil Technique

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #2220
Insane Embellisher

Really enjoyed that video! TFS. Does anyone know what the white eraser pens were? I have never seen them before.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #2221
Glitter Guru

Re the blending with the white Prismacolor pencil. A few days ago I bought a copy of an Art magazine here in Australia (which is produced in the UK) called Leisure Painter - March 2011 edition as there was an tutorial/article on a cat by an artist called Irina Garmashova/ Irina had coloured the cat with Prismacolor pencils and OMS - and I was intrigued by how Irina blended the cat's eyes using a white Prisma pencil as the eyes looked so luminescent (I hope I spelt that right) - like the Hero Arts video shows. Since then, I have found Irina's art website here - oh my gosh - if you do nothing else today, look at Irina's art work with her pencils - wow! And double WOW! Check out the cat's eyes by clicking on one of the photos for a closer look. It is definitely worth getting a copy of the Leisure Painter magazine to read Irina's tutorial - the effect of just blending the white pencil over the other colours for the cat's eyes is WOW!

Interestingly, Irina adds white highlights to the cat in the magazine article with white acrylic paint over the top of the pencils - I often do the same by dry brushing white highlights with acrylic paint - or I will add tiny strokes for the hair on teddies with mustard/brown toned acrylic paint and a tiny liner brush over the top of the pencils - gives the teddy bear a bit of "life". Not that my artwork is anywhere near Irina's of course - but it shows the versatility of Prismacolor pencils where you can layer other mediums on top.

The white eraser for blending on the You Tube video sounds interesting - I'll have to try and find one.

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet
Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #2222
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to cjcape521

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBear2 View Post
Re the blending with the white Prismacolor pencil. A few days ago I bought a copy of an Art magazine here in Australia (which is produced in the UK) called Leisure Painter - March 2011 edition as there was an tutorial/article on a cat by an artist called Irina Garmashova/ Irina had coloured the cat with Prismacolor pencils and OMS - and I was intrigued by how Irina blended the cat's eyes using a white Prisma pencil as the eyes looked so luminescent (I hope I spelt that right) - like the Hero Arts video shows. Since then, I have found Irina's art website here - oh my gosh - if you do nothing else today, look at Irina's art work with her pencils - wow! And double WOW! Check out the cat's eyes by clicking on one of the photos for a closer look. It is definitely worth getting a copy of the Leisure Painter magazine to read Irina's tutorial - the effect of just blending the white pencil over the other colours for the cat's eyes is WOW!

Interestingly, Irina adds white highlights to the cat in the magazine article with white acrylic paint over the top of the pencils - I often do the same by dry brushing white highlights with acrylic paint - or I will add tiny strokes for the hair on teddies with mustard/brown toned acrylic paint and a tiny liner brush over the top of the pencils - gives the teddy bear a bit of "life". Not that my artwork is anywhere near Irina's of course - but it shows the versatility of Prismacolor pencils where you can layer other mediums on top.

The white eraser for blending on the You Tube video sounds interesting - I'll have to try and find one.

Holy Cats!! Those pics are absolutly GORGEOUS! I wonder if this artist has a book~~those animals looked like they were photos, not artist drawings! TFS!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #2223

I have one of those erasers, but I've never used it for blending. Something new to try!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #2224
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineBK View Post
I just watched a video by Hero Arts. She used colored pencils without OMS and to blend, she used a Pentel Eraser. Has anyone used this technique?

YouTube - Color Pencil Technique
Thank you for sharing. I would've never thought of using my white pencil or eraser! To think of all the money I wasted on Copics! Oh my!

Jo Ann
Old 05-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #2225
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
Really enjoyed that video! TFS. Does anyone know what the white eraser pens were? I have never seen them before.
PENTEL I think Hobby Lobby has them with the art. I know I'm going to get one!

Jo Ann
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #2226
Matboard Maniac

Dina...I haven't really haven't had time to sit down and try it other than a quick test. When my set of 132 arrived my DD and I sat down and compared the "made in" USA (ones I already had) with the Mexico (new set I just bought) to see the quality. FYI...not much difference other than the new ones made in Mexico were slightly softer and slightly easier to blend than the USA ones.

I just laid down color and blended quickly with the Versamark Pen to see what would happen and, it works! As for damaging the pen....cheap to replace. I think it should act the same way as the Copic blender pen....just clean it off. They can also be refilled.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #2227
Stampin' Fool

I am amazed at Irena's coloring. I would have never thought they were pencils. She's incredibly talented.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #2228
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
I think I got mine at Office Max. You can get them just about anywhere you get office supplies. I sometimes get adhesive from my tape runner or xyron sticker maker on my card where I don't want it. Those erasers do a really good job of removing it.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #2229
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Send a message via Yahoo to Serenity_Stamper

is anyone willing to give me an honest appraisal of this card i made recently? i used prisma watercolor pencils and an SU! blender pen. honest feedback invited.... if i were to take a try to re-do it -- what would you recommend that i do? thanks

Play time (girl)! by Serenity_Stamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Stampin' Up! Challenges on SCS
Old 05-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #2230
Glitter Queen

Just popping in to say I have been reading this thread for 3 days now and am amazed at the talent here. I got my pencils 3weeks ago and playing with them. Cardstock is my biggest problem as I am in the UK. Anyone else here from Uk who can help and tell me what they use?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #2231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity_Stamper View Post
is anyone willing to give me an honest appraisal of this card i made recently? i used prisma watercolor pencils and an SU! blender pen. honest feedback invited.... if i were to take a try to re-do it -- what would you recommend that i do? thanks

Play time (girl)! by Serenity_Stamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I'll go! I loved the colors that you used, and the shadow under the slide.
You might try your initial coloring with a lighter touch so that your pencil strokes don't show when you blend them... if that is the look you were going for, then never mind that! Another thing I might have done is leave some white spaces in the sky for clouds (just blend the edges of the penciled part to soften the look), and also I like to go back in after my initial blending and add shading with a dry pencil, little details like tufts of grass at the bottom of the poles of the slide, etc. Hope that helps some!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 05-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #2232
Mad Swapper

hi everyone!

one of the lessons in my upcoming Colored Pencil 2 class is African American hair so here is what I have been working on - i think these images are so amazingly cute - they are from Mo Manning.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #2233
Stampin' Fool

Definitely cute!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #2234
Polyshrink Goddess

Cerridwen, those are really cute! I LOVE Mo Manning's artwork. I showed your post to my roommate, who is African-American, and we agreed you've done a beautiful job on the hair.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #2235
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzer View Post
Just popping in to say I have been reading this thread for 3 days now and am amazed at the talent here. I got my pencils 3weeks ago and playing with them. Cardstock is my biggest problem as I am in the UK. Anyone else here from Uk who can help and tell me what they use?
I'm not from the UK, being stuck in the middle of the US, but I do use a product straight from your side of the pond. I really love Zest-It as my blending agent of choice.

V
Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #2236

THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
I'll go! I loved the colors that you used, and the shadow under the slide.
You might try your initial coloring with a lighter touch so that your pencil strokes don't show when you blend them... if that is the look you were going for, then never mind that! Another thing I might have done is leave some white spaces in the sky for clouds (just blend the edges of the penciled part to soften the look), and also I like to go back in after my initial blending and add shading with a dry pencil, little details like tufts of grass at the bottom of the poles of the slide, etc. Hope that helps some!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #2237

Wow, Cerridwen -- really nice!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #2238
Mad Swapper

thanks ladies! teaching has forced me out of my comfort zone and caused me to really learn how to do things in an orderly manner rather than my usual haphazard trial and error.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #2239
Kookie Creator

I am new to Prisma. Got a box 1 over year ago and still have not used it. I am not very sure about the gamsol thing mentioned, don't see any sold in my country and I don't wanna use spirit. Someone mention about using baby oil. I have yet to try.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #2240
Insane Embellisher

Gamsol is just a brand name for one of the many brands of OMS Odorless Mineral Spirit that you can get in art shops. I prefer it to baby oil myself.