Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #1961
Stampin' Fool

You're welcome. Please thank your son for me. There are so many who need to be rescued. There are alot of animals who need that but I KNOW the horror stories of what happens to greyhounds. Would never share the stories because they're just too sad. We still have the greyhound who is the farthest away in the photo, Duke, who was 11 on Oct 16th. The closer one, Missy, and our first, we lost to cancer 18 months ago. They are so sweet and so calm. The other dog and a daushund who is too short to get in the photo are my daughter's. We were at her house for a BBQ at the time. I can't say enough about how wonderful, loving, and trusting they are.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-24-2010, 03:26 AM   #1962
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineBK View Post
I wasn't going to say anything but don't want anyone else to get cheated out of the rebate $. I did the rebate when they offered it a few years ago and never received the money. I SHOULD have taken a copy of my completed rebate form and the receipts but I had no proof I mailed it because I didn't photocopy anything. I felt I couldn't contact about not receiving the rebate when I had nothing to resubmit. Won't make the mistake of not having duplicates again. So, if you can, copy what you're sending so that if you don't get the rebate, you can contact them with the proof that you actually spent the money and qualified for the rebate. I didn't want to say anything because I'm sure alot of people did receive their rebates and I was the exception. Why stress you all out when there may be no reason to be wary?

Just an FYI - I tried to take advantage of a rebate offer via AC Moore' - a few years ago too..... completed all of the paperwork, submitted it and never heard a word back. I did keep copies but life took over and I never did get a chance to follow up (my own fault!) but I fault the company that handled the rebates for Prismacolor - Prisma should be aware that rebates went unfulfilled leading to unhappy customers. I bought an large set justifying the cost with the rebate offer which was a pretty good offer - I think it was like $15 or $20 on the size set that I bought. So a word of caution - submit early and follow up. There are laws guiding rebates...if you don't receive your rebate, contact the sponsoring company.

I LOVE my Prismas and wouldn't give them up for anything....it just would have been nice to receive the rebate. Lesson Learned!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #1963
Compulsive Stamper

I just purchased a big set of Prisma pencils and I can't wait to try all the techniques mentioned here. great thread keep it going and more pictures would be a big help. what talented ladies u all r!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #1964
Rubber Obsessor

Default Prisma

I have just read all the way through this thread and I'm so glad. I just started out using Roseart (kids pencils) and loved the results I got blending, so thinking if I bought the big tin of prisma it would be even better. I searched around on ebay and bought a set of 72 for about $40 got them in the mail and went to try them out and they didn't blend. I thought it was me, I tried everything, using more pressure, baby oil, gamsol. Glad to know it wasnt and after reading this I turned the tin over and sure enough said made in Mexico. Now if I can just get a refund. Maybe I'll try the derwent or has anyone tried the dickblic brand?

Michelle
Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #1965
Stampin' Fool

Oh no. Sorry to hear that Michelle. Would be great if you could get a refund. I have Derwent Coloursoft and also their Inktense pencils and they're great.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #1966
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

The Dick Blick brand pencils are great as well.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #1967
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandmwilson View Post
I have just read all the way through this thread and I'm so glad. I just started out using Roseart (kids pencils) and loved the results I got blending, so thinking if I bought the big tin of prisma it would be even better. I searched around on ebay and bought a set of 72 for about $40 got them in the mail and went to try them out and they didn't blend. I thought it was me, I tried everything, using more pressure, baby oil, gamsol. Glad to know it wasnt and after reading this I turned the tin over and sure enough said made in Mexico. Now if I can just get a refund. Maybe I'll try the derwent or has anyone tried the dickblic brand?

Michelle
I have a Dick blick brand and they work just fine! I have a small tin of Prisma's. Blick's blend right in with them, no problem. sorry to hear about your made in mexico prismas
Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #1968
Crimping Master

I have taken several weeks to read over this thread and to be honest I think I forgot some of what I read LOL. I was wondering if any one had ever had any kind of reply from Prismacolor? I am an artist and teach private lessons in drawing and pastels.I just started getting into colored pencils a few years ago and really have had no problem with my Prismacolors as of yet. I am pretty sure I have some of the ones from Mexico mixed in with mine but I have to say I must not have used them yet as I can't tell any difference.
I LOVE my colored pencils and I am kind of aggravated that they went and changed what we love about them. I do have Faber Castels and Derwents but to be honest I much prefere my Prismacolors.
Anyway I was jsut wondering if anyone had ever complianed to the company about the new lack in quaility and actually had results or not.
Wonderful site and helpful thread btw..I am sort of new to card making but must say I enjoy it and just love what I have seen in the work you all have posted on here!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #1969

This is the response I received from Prismacolor:

Prismacolor return policy - FYI

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #1970
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Inkin One...
A few months ago I did contact the company for more information and never heard back. Maybe someone else has?

... also from a small town in NC
Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #1971
Stampin' Fool

I received a comment from Dick Blick's artist (her name escapes me) but she said she uses Prismacolor pencils including the pencils made in Mexico and hasn't had any problems. She did say, however, that she doesn't use odorless mineral spirits.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #1972
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimont View Post
Hi Inkin One...
A few months ago I did contact the company for more information and never heard back. Maybe someone else has?

... also from a small town in NC

I am nearish to Charlotte! Hi my NC friend!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #1973
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
This is the response I received from Prismacolor:

Prismacolor return policy - FYI
I am sorry but their response was a bit of a cop-out! If I am returning a faulty product not sure if I want the same thing returned..kwim?

Like I said I haven't had issues as of yet..I do use OMS..don't particulary like the colorless blender. I am sure I have used some of th eones made in Mexico, and jsut don't know it, but I do know I will be more on the look out for blending issues.
When having issues with these pencils what seems to be the problem. Is it that the wax is jsut spreading around? or not blending at all? Just ondering what to look for..
Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #1974
Crimping Master

I have another question and it doesn't pertain to prismas..I am new to this site and am wanting to do a few of the challenges. Well I read all the "start here " stuff and found that you needed to join the challenge forums but am a bit confused as to how to go about it. How do I find the post dates and such?
I know there is probably a better place to post this question but you are all so helpful here..and I have come to regognize some of your names..LOL..( maybe I have a little of that 7th grade shyness going on LOL..many years AFTER the 7th grade hehe)
Thanks for any help!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #1975

As far as the challenges - the current challenge will usually have the date in the post title, and occasionally is made a 'sticky' post so it stays up at the top for the week. The challenge information will be in that post, along with a code to include in the keywords when you post your card in the gallery. When you've posted, you'll return to the challenge post and include a link to your card in the gallery. Hope that is clear... I haven't had time to play any challenges for a long time!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 AM   #1976
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
As far as the challenges - the current challenge will usually have the date in the post title, and occasionally is made a 'sticky' post so it stays up at the top for the week. The challenge information will be in that post, along with a code to include in the keywords when you post your card in the gallery. When you've posted, you'll return to the challenge post and include a link to your card in the gallery. Hope that is clear... I haven't had time to play any challenges for a long time!
Thank you so much! It sounds so simple when explained in simple English LOL
Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #1977
Rubber Obsessor

Talking Dick Bick

They are having a sale on their sets of colored pencils in their catalog. I prefer them over the Mexico Prism. They are cheaper @ 46 a piece online.I don't use Gamsol. I use a blending pencil. I prefer DB's blending pencil over Prism,I don't get a waxy built up. It also is easier on my hands to blend with. I'm adding DB to fill in for P's I'm using up.
On my blog [URL="glograbear.blog.spot.com"]
I have an entry on a test of 3 brands of pencils.
I really like the Derwent Colorsoft,they go on like butter.
DB makes it easy to try other brands by buying pencils in bulk. Make sure U put a big order since online s&h is$10,catalog is $6.95
Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #1978

I just posted a card to my blog using the Inktense pencils.... I am loving them!
Mama Dini's Stamperia: Happy Holidays from Flower Soft!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #1979
Kookie Creator

WOW what a beautiful piece of work! I have to find the time to take out my pencils.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #1980

72 Prismacolor Premier Pencil, 60 Colored, 12 Colorless - eBay (item 350413246778 end time Jan-11-11 16:58:43 PST)

60 Prismacolors + 12 blenders for 22.97...not sets, but no repeats. Shipping is from Canada so a bit high, but even with shipping, the price per pencil is great if you're looking to expand your collection.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #1981
Rubber Obsessor

Default Chiming in late

Someone asked much earlier in the thread about coloring skin tones.

For a caucasian skin tone, I use either yellow orange (maybe Deco Orange in Prismacolor) or tan Crayola colored pencils. I usually use red orange for the cheeks. I color very lightly in a diagonal cross-shading pattern. If it is still too light, I may shade vertical & horizontal as well. Then go to any spots that would have shadows (edges, under the chin, etc.) and shade them a little darker, following the contour.

I use bronze yellow for darker skintones, also sometimes mixing in tan, hazel, brown, etc. to get the right shade. Try shading on scratch paper until you get what you like. Use mahogany (the brick red one, not the reddish-brown one) for the cheeks. Shade the shadows with one of the colors that seems appropriate, just as for lighter skin tones.

I have a lot of practice coloring in visual aids for Sunday school. You can erase them a little bit if you get too dark of colors.

I have never tried using the oil with oil-based pencils. You can sometimes get a watercolor effect with Prismacolors by painting over them with water. They seem oilier than other pencils, whereas Crayolas are drier or waxier I think. Oak Hill Hollow (?) makes woodburners, and has some nice oil-based pencils for using on wood that would probably work well with an oil solvent.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #1982
Inking Addict

I bought my Prisma pencils in October at Michael's. I'm happy to say my rebate came in the mail today. So i hope others get their rebates too.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #1983
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a little confused about which Prisma pencils to buy. I found these on Office Depot site, Prismacolor® Professional Thick Lead Art Pencils, Assorted Colors, Set Of 120 for $119. Are these the right kind? I can order thru Office Depot at work and get a good discount but not sure these are what everyone is talking about. This is the link if you need more details.

Prismacolor Professional Thick Lead Art Pencils Assorted Colors Set Of 120 by Office Depot

Thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #1984

Those are the ones we are using.

Check around on prices though - for example, that set is on sale at Dickblick.com for 89.99 right now. That's 25% less than your catalog price, so if your discount is 25% or more, that would be comparable or better! There are often lower prices on ebay, but not everyone is comfortable shopping there.

(I have really close friends in Pflugerville!)

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #1985
Rubber Obsessor

Default Prismacolor

Dini,

Thanks so much for the info! My discount would not be that much. So, I'll go elsewhere.

Can't believe you heard of Pflugerville! It's a great small town. Small world!

Robann
Old 01-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #1986
Stampin' Fool

Michaels(R) Where Creativity Happens(R)

Michael's coupons which start tomorrow. There's a 40% off their pencils included. I don't know how much their pencils are but if you have a Michael's nearby it might be worth checking out.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #1987
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineBK View Post
Michaels(R) Where Creativity Happens(R)

Michael's coupons which start tomorrow. There's a 40% off their pencils included. I don't know how much their pencils are but if you have a Michael's nearby it might be worth checking out.
The one I saw was 40% off all art supplies even if they were on sale. Which of course means they won't be on sale. lol.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #1988
Proud Fan Club Member

I checked with my M's on that artist sale and they said as long as it doesn't mention not good on prismacolor, then the 40% will work on them. I didn't buy them though because Dickblick is still cheaper by about $20 even with shipping!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #1989
Gabfest Goddess

I've now bought my first box of 48 prisma pencils now I just have to revisit kindy and learn to colour in between the lines again
Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #1990
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

LOL. I always refer to my Prismacolour colouring as my "kindy colouring'.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #1991
Gabfest Goddess

I have just read a colouring tut and I have a question, do you all use a blending stump? I thought I had all the stuff I needed just to now go colour, is a stump essential? What besides a stump would work a cotton bud (tip?)
Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #1992
Stampin' Fool

The stumps work best when you use odorless mineral spirits. You could also use a blending pencil. I prefer the stumps and OMS but have seen images colored with the blending pencil and they look fine.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #1993
Insane Embellisher

I couldn't do without my stumps! A cotton bud wouldn't have a fine enough tip to get into small places. I have gradually bought heaps of stumps and keep one for reds, one for pinks etc and I have a "skin" one I use for only skin. If you are not having to sand the colour off all the time they last forever and I think well worth the initial outlay.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #1994
Gabfest Goddess

Ok I now have my stumps and my non smelly spirits, now to just find the time to sit and colour
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #1995
Insane Embellisher

Well done, good luck with it, I am sure you will enjoy going back to "kindy colouring", it's very relaxing. I usually try to do several images at a time and then make them up at a later date.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #1996
Embossing Fanatic

what is kindy colouring? perhaps a tutorial somewhere? thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #1997
Insane Embellisher

LOL. I jokingly call the coloring "kindy coloring" because it feels like I am back at kindergarten coloring in picture books. Just my weird sense of humor.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #1998
Embossing Fanatic

I get it, Jan. It's how this coloring makes me feel, too
Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #1999
Gabfest Goddess

After my great finds, well I thought they were great cause I found what I needed in the one store, hubby came home with a litre bottle of white spirits at half the price of my small bottle, oh well I now have plenty of non smelly spirits, lol Good ol hubby
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #2000
Insane Embellisher

I saw a post where someone bought a large bottle of spirits from a hardware store which was really cheap compared to the bottles from art stores, but I didn't know what brand or anything it was. It lasts ages anyway, I am still on my first little bottle!