Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #1881
Compulsive Stamper

GREAT information, thank you for sharing! Looking forward to Dini's pipe-in! Lots to research now!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:16 AM   #1882
Insane Embellisher

Default bought one to try it!

i just bought a mexico one,just one mind you, and it blended fine with gamsol! it may be that some batches are good and some arent! it such a shame too,cause i love my prismas! micheals is starting get a mixture,so watch what your buying if you dont want the mexico ones! the labels are quite different tho,so you`ll notice!
karen adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahb View Post
Perhaps those who say the pencils from Mexico blend just fine have a mixed set and haven't yet come across the ones that don't blend.

OR, if they never had the pencils that blend with Gamsol/OMS, perhaps they think what the Colorless Blender pencil does is sufficient blending.

I think the price for a set of 24 is currently lower than what I paid for my set a few years ago, so at least quality and cost are proportional. Too bad we consumers are never asked if we would be willing to pay a higher price for the quality we need.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 AM   #1883
Insane Embellisher

and i`m so glad this thread is here! very help! thank you!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #1884
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafts View Post
I've read that it's better to use a conventional oven rather than a microwave. I haven't tried it, but this blog article explains the process. Linda Mahoney Art: TIP: Colored pencil breaking? Time to start baking!
Thank you very much Judi!!! Very informative!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #1885
Polyshrink Goddess

Dini or anyone else may do all the comparing of pencil brands, but the problem is not just PrismaColor pencils. The entire industry moved their production, and while you may soon see many branded products like the Dick Blick line of colored pencils that is new, the prices are "good" but that says nothing about the product quality and everything about the industry changes. The ONLY way to tell what REALLY is blendable and "just like the original" is to try the brand you think you want NOW and try EVERY pencil in the set because mixed sets are still available until the old (good) stock runs out.

What's really interesting to me is the efforts of those who feel compelled to bury this information in off-topic repeated messages. On one site(not SCS-related) this information resulted in all the posts for that day being removed entirely. Playing ostrich doesn't make the problem disappear, but it DOES subject other Stampers to what I hate the most........the notion that the problem is you rather than the product. Every day I'm running across Stampers who think they are just too inept to blend properly. I was one of those. Given good pencils, ANYONE can blend beautifully.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #1886
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahb View Post
Dini or anyone else may do all the comparing of pencil brands, but the problem is not just PrismaColor pencils. The entire industry moved their production, and while you may soon see many branded products like the Dick Blick line of colored pencils that is new, the prices are "good" but that says nothing about the product quality and everything about the industry changes. The ONLY way to tell what REALLY is blendable and "just like the original" is to try the brand you think you want NOW and try EVERY pencil in the set because mixed sets are still available until the old (good) stock runs out.
It's not the entire industry that's moved to Mexico or made change, although I'm sure it seems that way. Prismacolor definitely has and the company has made no attempts to disguise that. They do say nothing has changed in the formula, but for those having problems, something obviously has. Other pencils are made in other locations. Derwent is manufactured in the UK for example.

One thing to keep in mind is that while we love using OMS to blend our pencils that's not typical art usage. Standard use of colored pencils is to blend "dry" with another pencil or a colorless blender.

For me, I've never had a pencil that didn't blend, so I don't have any comparison. I don't know the particulars on why this isn't working for some. I do know that quite a lot of this thread lately has been discussing it rather than on what it was intended for when I started it, the messages here aren't getting deleted and it's a fairly hot topic throughout recent pages.

The best solution, from my perspective, is to try a different brand. Just because the thread it titled Prismacolor, it doesn't mean we're limited to just that brand.

V
Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #1887
Stampin' Fool

The other site may have deleted the thread because they thought Mexico was getting "bad mouthed" but that's not the case. Doesn't matter where they moved production to as long as the quality had remained the same. Something definitely had to be changed in their formula or people wouldn't be complaining. I resent the fact that Prismacolor just about said, it's not the pencils that are the problem, it's the people using them. Oh yeah! Well kiss my......grits. Cleaned that up. It's not possible that all the people who have complained about blending don't know what they're doing. A company interested in giving good customer service would look into it when they learn that people, not one or two, are having problems with their product. I tend to use companies who have given good customer service, either to me, or to people on blogs who have had the experience.
I really DO like the Derwent Coloursoft pencils I bought but if I had the opportunity to buy the USA made Prismacolors I would. I don't have the whole set, just 48, and it would be nice to have other colors. If that's not possible than I'll use my Coloursoft pencils to fill in the missing Prismacolors. I feel sorry for the people who are buying Prismacolors based on their old reputation of being one of the best. If they can't blend them, they threw their money right out the window.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 11-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #1888
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

V, thanks for thinking of me! I actually didn't jump in right away, because I felt like *ugh* we've been over this howmanytimes already.... I totally agree with you that this thread has shifted from its original purpose, and that's made me a little hesitant to respond at times.

Links again to the pencil brand comparison posts on my blog:
Mama Dini's Stamperia: FAQ

We're all different! What works for me may not work for you. V summed up my findings pretty well on the previous page. Prismacolors are still my go-to pencil. I have not had a bad experience with my Mexico pencils. Mine blend fine. However, I am a color addict, so I've chosen to fill in a few holes in my collection, and share my observations.

Someone asked about using pencils without a solvent - many artists do this... the basic concept is layering light layers of color one over the other, then burnishing with another pencil, a blender pencil, or a stump. Here's a link that shows some of the techniques: Colored Pencil Basics

It's fun but it takes a little more time and forethought. I colored this Twinchie Square without using OMS. (Stamp is by JustRite Stampers)

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #1889

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineBK View Post
I feel sorry for the people who are buying Prismacolors based on their old reputation of being one of the best. If they can't blend them, they threw their money right out the window.
If I remember right, Prismacolor and the brick & mortar store offered to replace the product.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #1890
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Dina.....that is a lovely hummingbird!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #1891
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

I just wanted to share one of my Halloween cards I did using prisma pencils....and the colorless blender pencil. I've never used any OMS.....just the colorless blender pencils.
Attached Thumbnails
p1050373.jpg  
Old 11-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #1892
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

here are a few more for your viewing pleasure!
Attached Thumbnails
p1050365.jpg   p1050362.jpg   p1050364.jpg  
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #1893
Compulsive Stamper

Well friends, our local Pat Catan's craft store here has Prismacolor Premiers on sale thru December. I'm still deciding on what qty and brand to buy, but I think these are decent sale prices! i.e. 24 count on sale for $22.97 reg $29.97. I had the 48 count in my hand (thirty something $) and put it back. Wow, whenever do I get buyer's remorse before I even pay for the item!! LOL!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #1894
Stazon Splitcoast

Dina the hummingbird is beautiful!

Suzy you do amazing things with the colorless blender pencil!
2014 100 in 100 Challenge round #2 40/100
Old 11-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #1895
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntangie View Post
Dina the hummingbird is beautiful!

Suzy you do amazing things with the colorless blender pencil!

Thanks, Angie....appreciate it!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #1896
Stampin' Fool

Dina that's great that the pencils were able to be replaced! Thanks for posting that. Also, the hummingbird is beautiful and Angie's work is awesome. I have never tried using the colorless blender but I will definitely have to give it a try.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #1897
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to RubyInGA
Question Colorless blender...

Hi everyone,

I have always used OMS with the Prismacolors. That's what the first tutorial I ever watched, so that is what I have always used.

Couple of questions, if anyone can help out...

How does the colorless blender work? I have heard of it, but never used it. Is it like the watercolor pen that you fill up. Using something besides water, of couse. If it is what do you fill it with? Know nothing at all about it.

Have been browsing for other brands of pencils that have been mentioned here. The pencils seem to just say "pencils" or "watercolor pencils". How do you you tell if they are blendable pencils or not?

I have heard a couple of people say they use baby oil. How does that work? Doesn't it leave a fragrance behind? Does it leave an oily residue or bleedthrough?

I guess all this sounds really dumb, but I've never ventured "out of the box" and away from OMS. So don't know anything about the other things.

Thanks so much for any answers anyone can give me!

Ruby
Old 11-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #1898
Stampin' Fool

I just finished reading that if you do use baby oil to make sure it doesn't bleed onto your paper, blot the stump on a paper towel and test it on a piece of scrap paper before using it on your piece.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #1899
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up Baby oil use...

Quote:
I just finished reading that if you do use baby oil to make sure it doesn't bleed onto your paper, blot the stump on a paper towel and test it on a piece of scrap paper before using it on your piece.
Thanks for that information, Lorraine!!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #1900
Stampin' Fool

You're very welcome. I'm not sure myself how you know which pencils are wax based which would mean they're blendable with Gamsol or baby oil. Maybe some of the more experienced people can offer that information. Sorry.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #1901
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Default Colorless Blender Pencil..how it works

How does the colorless blender work? I have heard of it, but never used it. Is it like the watercolor pen that you fill up. Using something besides water, of couse. If it is what do you fill it with? Know nothing at all about it.

Ruby.....I can answer this question for you......

The colorless blender pencil....looks like a regular pencil. The outside of the pencil is wood with the lead not colored. It is rather an opaque looking white/gray color. I know I'm not describing this one good! It hasn't any color. You don't fill it up....because it is a wooden pencil. I have found them at Michael's in the prisma pencil open stock shelves. I also have bought them at Hobby Lobby in a package of two.

To use this blender pencil with prisma pencils.....I start with the lightest color that I'm going to use on that section colored. I put a light layer of color on that section with the that color. I then come back and do the next shade darker along the edges. I then take this blender pencil, making small circles in the darker shade and pulling it into the light color. After blending those together....I used the next shade darker. Doing the same process...small circles...and pulling it in towards the center. But, not taking away from the previous color. I keep building up the color blending until I have the combination that I like. After each color....I make sure the blender pencil is "clean" by scibbling on a scratch piece of paper...normally it's white (like an old envelope that a bill came in!)....when the color is gone....this is ready. That way...if you were to change to a completely different color...you won't get that mixed up. You can also scratch the color off the blender pencil with your nail...it's that soft!

With the peaches on this card...as an example:

Leaves: first color (base) chartreuse, 2nd apple green, 3rd olive green, 4th marine green

Peaches: first color (base) sunburst yellow, 2nd: peach, 3rd: salmon pink, 4th pumpkin orange, 5th poppy red, 6th crimson red 7th Tuscan red (just a hint).

I hope that this kind of answers your question about the colorless blender pencil. It's not messy, has no smell....stays dry. I keep it with my other prisma pencils in a pencil box. Oh, and I sharpen it in the pencil sharpener just like I do my prisma pencils.
Attached Thumbnails
p1050362.jpg  
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #1902
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

Kim, I think that is a great price for the Prismas. I just buy mine loose and pay $1.95 each here in Australia.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #1903

Here's a great video that shows the Colorless Blender being used, in case you're a visual learner:
YouTube - Blick Presents: Prismacolor Colored Pencils Tips & Techniques
I've found with the blender pencil it helps to have all your color down first, then blend. It's different than using OMS, where you can add multiple layers after blending. It's difficult to add layers of color over your image after you've burnished with the blender pencil.

Most 'art pencils' would be wax or oil based, and can be blended with OMS, or another solvent. Watercolor pencils blend with water, or a blending solution (often in a blender pen such as Dove Blender, etc). Watercolor pencils would generally (maybe!) be listed separately from art pencils, with watercoloring supplies.

Blending with baby oil is similar to blending with OMS, but it takes some practice. Here's an older thread (finally found it!!) with lots of info, pros and cons:
blending prismacolors w/ baby oil

Ebay is a great place to look for sets of pencils at a discount. I got my Derwents that way (.99 for a set of 12 Inktense, $6 for 24 Coloursoft, $6 for 24 Artists... a few years ago I also got a set of 36 used watercolor pencils and a set of 24 Lyra watercolor crayons for about half price).

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-08-2010, 04:35 AM   #1904
Stampin' Fool

Default Pencil Comparisons by artist Rob Sloan

eBay Guides - Robs Art guide to Colored Pencils

This will tell you which pencils are waxed based, oil based etc. and has a little review on the different brands. Someone was asking how you can tell which pencils are blendable and this may just answer that question. Hope it helps.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:53 AM   #1905
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who is answering my questions. You are all totally awesome and appreciated! I am learning to ask questions, anyway, instead of just wondering...lol!!! Thanks for the links; I will be checking them out.

Blessings and hugs to all!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #1906
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Here's a great video that shows the Colorless Blender being used, in case you're a visual learner:
I've found with the blender pencil it helps to have all your color down first, then blend. It's different than using OMS, where you can add multiple layers after blending. It's difficult to add layers of color over your image after you've burnished with the blender pencil.
That was the experiance I had too, that once I used the blender I couldn't add color over it. Of course that was in a class years ago and I didn't have Prismas yet. I was trying to use a cheap set of kid's colored pencils and not artist grade pencils. I still have the blender. Maybe I will let Suzy's work convince me to try it again. Thanks for the link Dina!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #1907
Stazon Splitcoast

checked out the link for the blender and found one for sharpening too! It amazes me what you can find on You-tube.

YouTube - Blick Presents: How to Properly Sharpen Prismacolor Pencils
Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #1908
Stazon Splitcoast

Here are my most recent attempts. I don't remember who suggested that I scan them instead of using my camera, but it worked much better. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
nontraditional-xmas.jpg   easel-card.jpg   sketch.jpg  

Last edited by auntangie; 11-08-2010 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: hit "enter" too soon
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #1909
Stampin' Fool

The images turned out so nice. The stamped image with the mouse in the glass is so cute. Who makes that stamp? Thanks for the info.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #1910
Stampin' Fool

This is a Dick Blick video on colorless blenders. Toward the end of the video she uses a double ended marker blender. I didn't know you could use that on pencil but I guess you can. I checked out the product on Dick Blick and it says it's alcohol filled. It looks exactly like the one she is using. I guess it acts the same way Gamsol does.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #1911

Started a separate thread to share the response I got from Prismacolor regarding their response to those unhappy with Mexico-made pencils. If you have thoughts, please post them there.

Prismacolor return policy - FYI

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #1912
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

This is a Dick Blick video on colorless blenders. Toward the end of the video she uses a double ended marker blender. I didn't know you could use that on pencil but I guess you can. I checked out the product on Dick Blick and it says it's alcohol filled. It looks exactly like the one she is using. I guess it acts the same way Gamsol does.
This might be a good alternative when working in areas without good ventilation. The video was interesting, I had thought the marker was only for use on marker coloring.

It is also interesting that the Prismacolor blender marker is alcohol based.

It makes me wonder about dedicating a Copic colorless blender pen for use with colored pencil. I like the idea of using a Copic colorless blender as it is refillable and the Prismacolor marker is not. I also like the idea because she comments in the Prismacolor video that if you don't clean your blender marker quickly enough, you now have a new color marker and not a blender anymore! Should there be any problems with the Copic colorless blender, I can simply replace a nib.

Has anyone tried the Copic colorless blender on Prismacolors? I would be very curious if it works like the blender marker in the video.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #1913

The Copic blender does work to blend Prismacolors.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #1914
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
The Copic blender does work to blend Prismacolors.
How does it compare to the way OMS blends Prismacolors?

Dina, you really rock on these Prismacolor threads, and I sure appreciate how willing you are to share!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #1915

It's been a while since I've played with it. It's nice for tight areas where you can't blend very accurately with a stump, and it's nice for traveling when you don't want to carry OMS and a mess of stumps with you. The Copic people don't recommend it, and feel that it ruins your marker...maybe for the reason the artist on the Blick/Prismacolor video mentioned?

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #1916
Member Company

I've been coloring hair and, yes, I'm having a hard time. Especially with black. Can someone point me to a tutorial or give me tips on how to color hair or fur, please?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:52 AM   #1917
Stampin' Fool

I added the Prismacolor marker blender to my Dick Blick order yesterday. They have great zippered colored pencil cases. There are a few manufacturers. They're nice and compact taking up less space. The blenders were only $1.99. If they don't work with pencils I'll just use them on markers. For $1.99 I won't be upset if it doesn't work well as was shown in the video.
I looked for tutorials on You Tube for coloring hair but didn't really find anything for pencils that looked worthwhile to post.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #1918
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meowy View Post
I've been coloring hair and, yes, I'm having a hard time. Especially with black. Can someone point me to a tutorial or give me tips on how to color hair or fur, please?
There is a phenomenal video tutorial from Jen Shultz on her blog about coloring with OMS, and it includes coloring black hair!

deconstructing jen Oh MY OMS!!!

I have been using OMS for a long time and I picked up some tips from her video myself!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #1919
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

Just watched that tutorial on coloring black hair, it was great thanks for sharing that info. I too have trouble with black hair.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:55 AM   #1920
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnephelps View Post
There is a phenomenal video tutorial from Jen Shultz on her blog about coloring with OMS, and it includes coloring black hair!

deconstructing jen Oh MY OMS!!!

I have been using OMS for a long time and I picked up some tips from her video myself!
One of the things I learned from Jen's video is that when I was having trouble blending it was usually due to not having enough pencil pigment laid down. Also just by watching her I saw that I was not using enough spirits on my stump.