Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #1801
Stampin' Fool

I think I will order the pencils I want from them. Then, if I get some which were made in Mexico and they don't blend, I'll contact them. They might be willing to take them back if I'm not satisfied. Sounds to me that they're interested in good customer service. If the pencils made in Mexico are not the same quality, people may be complaining and perhaps then Sanford would check out what the problem is.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #1802
Insane Embellisher

my michaels is starting to get a mixture of both,so i bought a mexico one to try it! seems to be okay! maybe its a hit or miss thing! i use gamsol to blend with! HUGS!

karen adams
Old 10-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #1803
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
I used to think that Tortillon was just another name (? French) for a paper stump, but I did see somewhere that a tortillon is sort of like a stump but is hollow and only pointy one end, unlike the stumps which are pointy both ends and are solid. Is this correct? I did have a few of the hollow ones but didn't really like them much.
I have some of both. I had seen both of them called stumps. Your explaination makes more sense. Did you find the hollow ones softer than the solid ones?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:44 AM   #1804
Stazon Splitcoast

That's great that you got a couple of replies from Dick Blick and they want to be notified if you aren't happy with the pencils you recieve. Makes you beleive there are still companies out there that want to provide good customer service.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:04 AM   #1805
Stampin' Fool

That's good news Angie!! Thanks for letting us know.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #1806
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

I didn't like the hollow ones Angie, the ones I had were too short. I see some say they are good for small areas but I have quite a few really fine stumps that do that.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #1807
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to cjcape521

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyInGA View Post
Does anyone else have trouble with the Prisma pencils whole tip breaking off? Makes steam roll off me! i am wasting so much pencil and they aren't cheap!! Grrrrr
YES, YES & YES! How infuriating! I'm having a terrible time with pencils breaking off, and at first thought it was me bearing down too hard~~
Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #1808
Polyshrink Goddess

Soooo, I am ready to supplement my pencil stock~~(I have Jerry's Art-a-Rama within five miles of me, verrrrry bad!) What does everyone suggest?? Colorsoft, Graphitint? Lyra's? Caran d'Ache? I'm soooo confused!!! I have the complete set of Prisma's, and actually went on the website for Fellissimo, but some of the reviews were not good. I was intrigued by the color range. Which one is the best for blending?? I use them on GP paper for all of my digi images~~HELP!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #1809
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcape521 View Post
YES, YES & YES! How infuriating! I'm having a terrible time with pencils breaking off, and at first thought it was me bearing down too hard~~
Very Annoying! I have had this problem at lot with the Prisma's I bought from Michael's openstock...the tips break because the lead is already broken inside the pencil from rough handling... Not much you can do about it...sometimes I just glue the tip back in...
Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #1810
Insane Embellisher

Default RE: Prismas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellena317 View Post
Very Annoying! I have had this problem at lot with the Prisma's I bought from Michael's openstock...the tips break because the lead is already broken inside the pencil from rough handling... Not much you can do about it...sometimes I just glue the tip back in...
Mine feel like they are broken up in the pencil too! I've been using my Copics
out of all the frustration
Old 10-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #1811
Kookie Creator

Quote:
try some super glue. Just a dab and glue the tip back in. It will sharpen out later. It's saved more than one of my pencils.

V
Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #1812
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Soooo, I am ready to supplement my pencil stock~~(I have Jerry's Art-a-Rama within five miles of me, verrrrry bad!) What does everyone suggest?? Colorsoft, Graphitint? Lyra's? Caran d'Ache? I'm soooo confused!!! I have the complete set of Prisma's, and actually went on the website for Fellissimo, but some of the reviews were not good. I was intrigued by the color range. Which one is the best for blending?? I use them on GP paper for all of my digi images~~HELP!
Try the colorsoft. They have a nice range that fills some of the gaps in the Prismacolor line.

V
Old 10-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #1813
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Yikes~~

First, I did go with the Colorsoft, and found my bliss! Love them! Second, I am going to attempt an attachment of something I did this afternoon (with the new Colorsofts!)~~if I don't do it right, forgive and send me instructions, LOL! This pic took on a life of it's own, and took me far longer than I wanted! The fur was driving me insane. Third, calling all artists~~I am doing a dress in REDS, what do you use for the lightest color??? I'm stumped! FYI-if I did the attachment correctly, the image is a digi from Squigglefly. Thanx in advance for comments and suggestions!

Last edited by cjcape521; 08-21-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Old 10-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #1814
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Quote:
I will be redoing my pencil comparison soon - ! Still getting organized...

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #1815

Got it done! Here we go:

Mama Dini's Stamperia: Pencil Comparison - new

A few new additions and a fwe more thoughts.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #1816
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Got it done! Here we go:

Mama Dini's Stamperia: Pencil Comparison - new

A few new additions and a fwe more thoughts.
I can't imagine how you got results so different from mine. I bought 8 Prismacolors, the "soft lead", in pale greens, beige and peachy pink and simply can't budge even one pencil stroke. What's more, the amount of color laid down with each stroke is practically nothing. I'm using Gina K.'s Luxury paper, but I was so fussed about the new pencils, I tried other papers too. The results were the same. Subsequently I bought the Prismacolor Colorless blender pencil. That helped a little, but not enough to even come close to the job Gamsol did on the older Prismacolors.

This past weekend I was in an art store that had every possible brand of colored pencils, but since ALL the companies have out-sourced their production in the past two years, and the company that makes Prismacolors was the last to do it, I decided to troll for sales of old pencils people who have moved to Copics want to get rid of. Of course now I could beat myself for not buying bigger sets of Prismacolors while they were still great. Expensive, but great. You can bet I'm treasuring the few I have; 24 watercolor and 24 softlead.

I'm so sorry for the people who bought the new pencils and think the blending isn't happening because of something they are doing wrong. Stanford certainly has no intention of owning up to the fact that their production has moved and the quality changed, at least in my communications with them. But I suppose that's to be expected.

Stewart Superior has been as steadfast in their problems with Palette inks. Finally PaperTrey Ink gave up on them, as had I, 8 months after quality problems first surfaced.

Blame the economy. Every industry is struggling, which makes paper crafting an evermore expensive hobby. I feel as sorry for the manufacturers as I do for us.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #1817
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to RubyInGA
Default Breaking pencil points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
try some super glue. Just a dab and glue the tip back in. It will sharpen out later. It's saved more than one of my pencils.

V
Thanks for the super glue idea...I'll sure give it a try!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #1818
Rubber Obsessor

Default Colorsoft...

Quote:
First, I did go with the Colorsoft, and found my bliss! Love them! Second, I am going to attempt an attachment of something I did this afternoon (with the new Colorsofts!)~~if I don't do it right, forgive and send me instructions, LOL! This pic took on a life of it's own, and took me far longer than I wanted! The fur was driving me insane. Third, calling all artists~~I am doing a dress in REDS, what do you use for the lightest color??? I'm stumped! FYI-if I did the attachment correctly, the image is a digi from Squigglefly. Thanx in advance for comments and suggestions!
Looks like the Colorsoft pencils worked really well for you. The coloring is great! I will have to check into them.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #1819
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahb View Post
I can't imagine how you got results so different from mine. I bought 8 Prismacolors, the "soft lead", in pale greens, beige and peachy pink and simply can't budge even one pencil stroke. What's more, the amount of color laid down with each stroke is practically nothing. I'm using Gina K.'s Luxury paper, but I was so fussed about the new pencils, I tried other papers too. The results were the same. Subsequently I bought the Prismacolor Colorless blender pencil. That helped a little, but not enough to even come close to the job Gamsol did on the older Prismacolors.

This past weekend I was in an art store that had every possible brand of colored pencils, but since ALL the companies have out-sourced their production in the past two years, and the company that makes Prismacolors was the last to do it, I decided to troll for sales of old pencils people who have moved to Copics want to get rid of. Of course now I could beat myself for not buying bigger sets of Prismacolors while they were still great. Expensive, but great. You can bet I'm treasuring the few I have; 24 watercolor and 24 softlead.

I'm so sorry for the people who bought the new pencils and think the blending isn't happening because of something they are doing wrong. Stanford certainly has no intention of owning up to the fact that their production has moved and the quality changed, at least in my communications with them. But I suppose that's to be expected.

Stewart Superior has been as steadfast in their problems with Palette inks. Finally PaperTrey Ink gave up on them, as had I, 8 months after quality problems first surfaced.

Blame the economy. Every industry is struggling, which makes paper crafting an evermore expensive hobby. I feel as sorry for the manufacturers as I do for us.
Just some random thoughts~~I have tried pencils on GK's paper, and it just does not work. I use the Georgia/Pacific from Walmart for pencil work, and love it. My printer is not expensive, and that is the only paper that will go through for digi's I want to print out. The only problem I have with pencils right now is Derwent Studio, but we had already discussed that in a previous thread. I lay them down first for color, and then start blending with others, as per Dini's suggestion. I did like the ColorSofts~~I'm not sure if I have the Mexico or USA Prisma's, tried looking on them, but could not find anything. So far, it's all good. Thank you Dini for doing that chart, it helps a lot. I just want to add that occasionally I do copics as a base, and then pencils for shading and highlighting, although the pic I attached was all pencil work~~pencils are soooo forgiving, and so much easier to work with than copics, IMHO. Although I have done both, I do my best work with pencils. Gosh, this was a rambling rant! Sorry! Time for me to go to bed, LOL!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #1820
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyInGA View Post
Looks like the Colorsoft pencils worked really well for you. The coloring is great! I will have to check into them.
Thank you, I was pleased with the results!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #1821
Hardware Hotshot

Question

I recently went out and bought a set of Derwent Coloursoft pencils and they work beautifully for me with this technique. I now use both Prismas and Coloursofts in all my colouring. The leads do not feel as waxy as Prismas and sometimes you might get a little bit of flaking off the lead when you are colouring, but nothing that will affect what you are colouring nor make a mess. What really puzzles me is that my Prismacolor pencils are over a year old, and I have several colours that will NOT blend: 2 of the reds, some of blues and several of the greys. The whole set has the same "markings" on them so I assume that they are all from old stock, ie: made in the USA - I bought them here in Australia. I have found a beautiful cardstock in Australia that works perfectly for this technique, but I cannot figure out why some of these colours still don't work. Don't get me wrong: I adore my Prismas - I just want to know why I have these couple of colours don't work. I am using Art Spectrum Odourless Mineral Spirits and not Gamsol. It is such an enigma....... but I really LOVE this technique - it really floats my boat!!

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet
Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #1822

For those that are wanting to avoid the Mexico Prismacolor pencils, here is a visual of the difference between old and new product. The printing on the old pencils is gold foil stamped, and the printing on the new ones is inked in black. There is a colorless stamp toward the end of the pencil that you would sharpen that indicates the place where it was manufactured.
Attached Thumbnails
img_4072.jpg   img_4074.jpg  

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 10-20-2010, 03:07 AM   #1823
Stampin' Fool

After reading everyone's opinions and experiences with the new Prismacolor pencils, I'm just sticking with the 48 I have. I did plan on adding to them by buying individual pencils from Dick Blick but I'm not willing to take a chance that I'll get the USA made pencils. They have a mix of old and new. Isn't it a shame that they're ruining what used to be a top of the line product? What's really bad is that people who aren't aware of the change in manufacture are going to spend the money for the pencils and then find out they don't blend well. Will a store take them back? Hope so.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #1824

Quote:
The last thing I did in reds, I used Nectar for the lighter areas, Crimson Red in other areas and Dark Umber to shade.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 AM   #1825
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
The last thing I did in reds, I used Nectar for the lighter areas, Crimson Red in other areas and Dark Umber to shade.
Oooooo~~~Dini, gorgeous! Is that an IO stamp??? I MUST have it, LOL! Thanks for the tip, Nectar is not something I would have thought of, glad I asked! Thanx also for the pics of Mexico v. USA pencils~~
Old 10-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #1826

Yep, it's IO. The name of the image is Goldie on Ornament (I think).

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 AM   #1827
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Yep, it's IO. The name of the image is Goldie on Ornament (I think).
Hey Dini, I went on IO and couldn't find that image~~couldn't find Gail Green either! Did she drop her affiliation with them?? I really thought that image was adorable, so hopefully I can find it!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #1828

no, it is there..... they just haven't dedicated a page to her work yet. It is coming. Here's the direct link:
Goldie on Ornament: Impression Obsession Rubber Stamps

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #1829
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Awesome job Dina. I was never much impressed with IO stamps until I started seeing your work. Now I think there are a few I might have to have.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 AM   #1830
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
For those that are wanting to avoid the Mexico Prismacolor pencils, here is a visual of the difference between old and new product. The printing on the old pencils is gold foil stamped, and the printing on the new ones is inked in black. There is a colorless stamp toward the end of the pencil that you would sharpen that indicates the place where it was manufactured.
Thanks Dina! I had tried to explain where I had found the USA on mine, but the visual is better.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #1831
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
no, it is there..... they just haven't dedicated a page to her work yet. It is coming. Here's the direct link:
Goldie on Ornament: Impression Obsession Rubber Stamps
Thanx! Bought Goldie, Cat w/Christmas Hat & Shaker pouches~~you're an enabler, LOL!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #1832
Polyshrink Goddess

BTW, Dini~~~Is Inktense just water soluble??? I have 3 of them (the colors are gorgeous!) but never do water colors. If you want, I will send them over, I don't mind the postage. Just let me know~~
Old 10-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #1833

The Inktense do blend with OMS, but they don't have near the intensity that they do when blended with water. I attached a sample. The top swatch is blended with OMS and the bottome one with a large water brush.
Attached Thumbnails
img.jpg  

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 10-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #1834
Rubber Obsessor

Default Card image

Quote:
Love the work you did on the card...it's beautiful!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #1835
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Just some random thoughts~~I have tried pencils on GK's paper, and it just does not work. I use the Georgia/Pacific from Walmart for pencil work, and love it.
I always find it interesting how different people get different results. I use Gina K's Pure Lux Base Weight stock and find that it blends better than any other card stock I've ever tried. The color seems to float on the super smooth surface. I've tried the GP stock from Wal-mart as well, and don't care for the results I get with it. It's not bad, I just like the Gina K SOOO much better!

V
Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #1836
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
The Inktense do blend with OMS, but they don't have near the intensity that they do when blended with water. I attached a sample. The top swatch is blended with OMS and the bottome one with a large water brush.
Yeah, after looking at your chart, I actually tried both, and couldn't believe the difference when blended with water! I have Chili Red, Baked Earth, & Spring Green, I thought it would be nice to send them to you as a TY~~I don't know where you get the time to contribute so much to this thread, but it sure has helped me! If interested, I will send you an EM on your blog, and you can let me know your address....I worked for the PO for 21 yrs. so familiar with foreign postage~~
Cheri
Old 10-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #1837
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
I always find it interesting how different people get different results. I use Gina K's Pure Lux Base Weight stock and find that it blends better than any other card stock I've ever tried. The color seems to float on the super smooth surface. I've tried the GP stock from Wal-mart as well, and don't care for the results I get with it. It's not bad, I just like the Gina K SOOO much better!

V
I agree, there are soooo many different opinions out there! Some people HATE the G/P for copics, and yet I have better luck with that than most. I will try the GK again for pencils, I've tried a few times but might have had an off day~~I have soooo much of it, I need to use it up!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #1838
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntangie View Post
Thanks Dina! I had tried to explain where I had found the USA on mine, but the visual is better.
My Prismacolor pencils that don't blend do not say where they were manufactured, nor do the ones that DO blend. The only visible difference between the old and new ones I have is that the UPC code is printed on the new ones but not on the old ones.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #1839
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBear2 View Post
What really puzzles me is that my Prismacolor pencils are over a year old, and I have several colours that will NOT blend: 2 of the reds, some of blues and several of the greys. The whole set has the same "markings" on them so I assume that they are all from old stock, ie: made in the USA - I bought them here in Australia. !
As I understand it, Prismacolor production moved to Mexico in December of 2008, so it's likely the set you bought had some of both old and new in them, since they no doubt needed to use up some older stock for awhile after they got in the new.

And by the way, the black and gold stamping that might be the "visual" to tell the old pencils from the new is not consistent with my pencils. I have both black and gold that won't blend. And on my old set, all of which blends beautifully, some have a gold "PC" and some do not. None have black logo stamping. I think that set is about 6 years old.

Another by the way, the store where I bought my newest pencils offered to take them back, but I was sooooooo sure Stanford would come up with a solution for the problem, I've kept them. Stanford offered to take them back too. Surely they don't intend to keep the production in Mexico and just ignore the problem, I was thinking, but it's now becoming apparent my thinking is wrong, which is one of the reasons I follow this Forum.

I'm hoping brand new pencils of another brand will work like the old Prismacolors and the owner will chance here to rave about that brand.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #1840

Looking again, perhaps only the new white pencil is stamped in black. I only ordered a few, and that was the one I pulled out to compare with an older one because I had an older white pencil that was still unsharpened. The others that I purchased in the last few months that have a Mexico stamp have the same text order and updated fonts as the white pencil I showed, but are foil stamped in silver. Sorry about that.

The country of production is stamped toward the end that you would sharpen, so if you're not seeing it, it may have been sharpened off by now.

The new pencils do not say Sanford on them anywhere....neither do the 2006 pencils. Hm.

Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 10-21-2010 at 12:22 AM..