Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 04:00 AM   #1601
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogrybali View Post
I understand that Q-tips are cotton wool tips. Am I right?
I tried to work with them but I find them to large.
I think cotton swabs work best for larger areas. I've seen a tutorial where the instructor uses swabs with a wooden stick and she said they (obviously) don't bend and there's more control. I think the brand name is Swisspers. I haven't been able to find them anywhere locally.. but have found them online. I just don't want to buy tons (plus S & H) if they don't end up working that well.

For blending I like Goo Gone...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #1602
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to cjcape521

I only used them for large areas, and then just tap v-e-r-r-r-r-y lightly. I get good results. On the smaller areas, I use the brush.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #1603
Kookie Creator

does anybody have a link for a chart by color hues or grouping from light to dark?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #1604
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to jogrybali Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default prismacolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu101 View Post
does anybody have a link for a chart by color hues or grouping from light to dark?
A friend of mine send me a page, on the top of it is written Prismacolor/art.uninhibited, I had only to fill in the colours where the nr, were on the sheet,
Hope this helps.
Have a nice day,
jogry/bali
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #1605
Polyshrink Goddess

I contacted Mama Dini (her blog) & I think I downloaded one from her~~it's fabulous!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #1606
Kookie Creator

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #1607
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Yep, that chart is here, in case others missed it:
http://www.mamadinis.com/prismacolor.php

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 07-14-2010, 04:55 AM   #1608
Insane Embellisher

Need to catch up on this thread! I've been out of town for awhile but while we were gone our new stamps were being made! I did a card with a couple of them...

Kick Up Your Heels!

I bought a few new Inktense Pencils so I tried them out!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #1609
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys
Default Help Please

I haven't posted on here in awhile because I have not been doing any coloring. But, I am here now needing people who are better at this than I am. I need help with hair one the girl and the grapes on the house mouse.

How can I make hair look more like hair and the grapes I think I was so worried about getting the color I wanted I forgot about the highlight on the grapes.

I have thick skin, give it to me.....I want to get better at this!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=187303

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=187303
Old 07-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #1610
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post
How can I make hair look more like hair and the grapes I think I was so worried about getting the color I wanted I forgot about the highlight on the grapes.
I think the mouse one looks pretty good! I somethings use a white Gelly Roll pen to go back and put on highlights.

The girl's hair is pretty much all one value. You need to punch it up a bit with some darker areas. Around the face is a good place to darken the hair where shadows will hit the hair. And anywhere hair overlaps put in some darks under the overlap and feather it out. Hope this helps.

Also don't be afraid to use colors other than the main color to darken it up. Black Grape works well!

Tim
Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #1611
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Tim! I have to keep practicing as hair is difficult for me. I will stamp a bunch of images with hair and keep working up different ways to color it. Thinking aloud here.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #1612

Tim, you're killing me with the Inktense pencils. They are definitely on my list. Do I not have enough pencils already?!!!?!!!!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 07-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #1613
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

I think both of your cards are lovely Cindy. I too have trouble with hair but I think sometimes we worry too much when it's just a card that will end up in a bin! LOL. I often have to tell myself that it is a fun hobby not an art competition, but it's only natural we like to get it coloured as good as possible. I have been colouring your Calla lily stamps and love them. That one is hard to come by and very expensive, but I have found a similar Northwoods one that I have ordered. I find those lilys make great Sympathy cards.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #1614
Polyshrink Goddess

FINALLY I have my answer!!!! My brand new Prisma color soft lead pencils can't be blended with Gamsol or any similar product, such as baby oil and mineral spirits. The Sanford company claims they have changed nothing. However, the fact is that my old Prismacolors blend with Gamsol and my new ones don't. I haven't changed anything. So somewhere I heard about scribbletalk.com, and that's where I found the news that production of Prismacolor pencils has moved to Mexico. In fact, there is no major pencil company left in the USA, since December of last year. So if you have a source for the OLD pencils, better get them now, unless you don't care if they won't blend.

If you have old ones you would like to sell to me, I'm particularly interested in buying greens, browns and pastel because I have only 3 of each of those.

By the way, I haven't bought any Prisma watercolor pencils lately, so I don't know if those have changed, but the discussion on Scribbletalk.com leads me to believe the deterioration in quality of pencil products has been relatively constant since 2008. There's much mourning of that fact by Artists who make their living using pencil products.

Lyra, which was going to be my second choice for soft lead colors, used to be produced in Germany but has now moved to China.

Paper, ink, colored pencils, erasers, adhesives......my most-used supplies have deteriorated in quality so dramatically over the past two years, it's probably time I find a new addiction. I'm a Crafter, not an artist, so I should NOT be so fussed about this, that's for sure.

Sorry to be the Bad News Bearer!

Bahb
Old 07-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #1615
Mad Swapper

WHAT?!!!!!!!! Say it aint so! Prismas are the only way I can color decently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahb View Post
FINALLY I have my answer!!!! My brand new Prisma color soft lead pencils can't be blended with Gamsol or any similar product, such as baby oil and mineral spirits. The Sanford company claims they have changed nothing. However, the fact is that my old Prismacolors blend with Gamsol and my new ones don't. I haven't changed anything. So somewhere I heard about scribbletalk.com, and that's where I found the news that production of Prismacolor pencils has moved to Mexico. In fact, there is no major pencil company left in the USA, since December of last year. So if you have a source for the OLD pencils, better get them now, unless you don't care if they won't blend.

If you have old ones you would like to sell to me, I'm particularly interested in buying greens, browns and pastel because I have only 3 of each of those.

By the way, I haven't bought any Prisma watercolor pencils lately, so I don't know if those have changed, but the discussion on Scribbletalk.com leads me to believe the deterioration in quality of pencil products has been relatively constant since 2008. There's much mourning of that fact by Artists who make their living using pencil products.

Lyra, which was going to be my second choice for soft lead colors, used to be produced in Germany but has now moved to China.

Paper, ink, colored pencils, erasers, adhesives......my most-used supplies have deteriorated in quality so dramatically over the past two years, it's probably time I find a new addiction. I'm a Crafter, not an artist, so I should NOT be so fussed about this, that's for sure.

Bahb

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #1616
Matboard Maniac

I'm going to really concentrate on using copics now.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #1617
Matboard Maniac

This just makes me sad. Most of my pencils are really old (as in 1988, Berol Prismacolors). I was looking to buy a new set too! :/

BLOG
Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #1618
Mad Swapper

I am sure that there is something comparable to prismas out there right? Another brand that works like them? I have always used prismas (and my inktense) so I hadn't really looked at other brands but I am sure they are out there. Anyone have any experience with them or recommendations?

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #1619
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahb View Post

Bahb
OH NO!!!!!! I finally found something I can color with decently. I wonder if there is a way to tell when/where pencils were manufactured when you purhcase them. I bought a set of 48 and have been filling in with open stock from Dick Blick. So far all I have bought have been fine, but I will worry about future purchases.

Of course companies do this to increase their own profits. Having product manufactured in Mexico or China costs them a fraction of what it costs to manufacture in the states. Makes thier profits go way up because they certainly didn't drop the price any.
2014 100 in 100 Challenge round #2 40/100
Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #1620
Glitter Guru

Oh nooooooo! This is terrible news!! I only bought my Prismas here in Australia last year so I am not running low on any colours yet - but what will I do when they are running low? I will go thru my pencils and get extras of the ones I use the most.

I absolutely agree that the quality of artist's supplies (and we ARE artists - maybe most of us are just hobbyists, but we are still creating our little artworks) have really gone to the wall with quality. My just turned 7 yo DD has been given birthday presents of colouring books, paper, pencils and the quality is terrible! The pencil leads break continually & don't colour very well, the paper rips easily and is so thin - and all were made in China. And she gets so frustrated. The only decent pack of pencils that she has are ones I bought for her which are Faber-Castell brand and are made in Germany. I wonder if Faber-Castell have an alternative to Prismas? Will do some research and see what turns up & post here if I find anything? Maybe regular poster here 'MrHambo' might be able to help?

My Gallery My Blog

Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #1621

Last year I purchased a smattering of pencils from Dick Blick as several of the brands they carry are available in open stock and there were colors that Prismacolor didn't make...

of the ones I bought I really liked the Caran D'Ache Pablo line, though they are more expensive. Dick Blick's own line is also pretty decent. I love the Derwent Graphitints but they are all darks... I got some Derwent Studio pencils but learned later that I should have gotten the artist ones - the studio ones do not blend well. I read around a little on scribbletalk and others recommended the Lyra (Koh-I-Noor) Polycolor and also Faber-Castell Polychromos... I haven't used either of those.

Maybe I'll post a comparison of blendability one of these days on my blog - would that be helpful? Only thing is that I don't have one same color in each brand.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 07-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #1622
Insane Embellisher

I've only used Prismas and Inktense Pencils. I've always wanted to try Faber-Castell Polychromos. They sound like they would be the right pencil for me. I understand they are a little harder than Prismas. Course no one sells them here.

Love to see your comparison Dina!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #1623
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Question

Can anyone confirm whether the bottles of Gamsol from Inky Antics are refillable?

I've been using the Mona Lisa brand of OMS, and pouring a tiny bit of it into an old liquid medicine cup when I want to use it. (Don't worry, I store the medicine cup with the OMS bottle, far away from our family's medicines!) However, I'd like to get something with a sponge top and a lid because that seems more convenient. I still have about half a bottle of the Mona Lisa stuff left and don't want it to go to waste so I wondered, if I got the Inky Antics bottle and used it all up, if I could refill the bottle with my Mona Lisa brand.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #1624
Mad Swapper

Yes, I refill mine all the time from a huge can I got at the craft store. You just have to work the top off gently.
Kim
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the bottles of Gamsol from Inky Antics are refillable?

I've been using the Mona Lisa brand of OMS, and pouring a tiny bit of it into an old liquid medicine cup when I want to use it. (Don't worry, I store the medicine cup with the OMS bottle, far away from our family's medicines!) However, I'd like to get something with a sponge top and a lid because that seems more convenient. I still have about half a bottle of the Mona Lisa stuff left and don't want it to go to waste so I wondered, if I got the Inky Antics bottle and used it all up, if I could refill the bottle with my Mona Lisa brand.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #1625
Splitcoast Platinum Partner Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Stamps! View Post
What a fabulous idea for a thread! I have just been trying out my prismacolor crayons. I got a package of the Scholars and some storebrand odorless mineral spirits.

I've been having trouble with ink smearing though. I've tried Memories black, brilliance graphite, black, versafine onyx, palette noir and stazon. All ran except stazon. I was using SU whisper white paper each time.

Does anyone have any tips?
Try Marvy black. Dye inks will work better since there is no "solvent" in them, like the others.

I use Versafine, but the key is to make sure that it is totally dry. I stamp it and then take a nice long shower. By the time I get out, it's dry enough for me to color.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #1626
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
Yes, I refill mine all the time from a huge can I got at the craft store. You just have to work the top off gently.
Kim
Thank you, Kim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meowy View Post
I use Versafine, but the key is to make sure that it is totally dry. I stamp it and then take a nice long shower. By the time I get out, it's dry enough for me to color.
That's what I usually do - I use VersaFine, and then wait at least 30 minutes before I color the image.

Ancient Page Coal Black also works well, but my ink pad seems to have gone into hiding... hmmm...
Old 07-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #1627
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

I always use Stazon Black and most often S.U. Whisper white and have never had trouble with smearing. I also have Memento Tuxedo black and that is fine too.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #1628
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
I think both of your cards are lovely Cindy. I too have trouble with hair but I think sometimes we worry too much when it's just a card that will end up in a bin! LOL. I often have to tell myself that it is a fun hobby not an art competition, but it's only natural we like to get it coloured as good as possible. I have been colouring your Calla lily stamps and love them. That one is hard to come by and very expensive, but I have found a similar Northwoods one that I have ordered. I find those lilys make great Sympathy cards.
Thanks, I needed a gentle reminder about that! I have been coloring at night now for the last week, in front of the TV (hubby time). I should have some new cards made this week to show.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #1629
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I always use Stazon Black and most often S.U. Whisper white and have never had trouble with smearing. I also have Memento Tuxedo black and that is fine too.
I use those too along with Ranger's Archival Black Ink. Like Jan, no smearing.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #1630
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Last year I purchased a smattering of pencils from Dick Blick as several of the brands they carry are available in open stock and there were colors that Prismacolor didn't make...

of the ones I bought I really liked the Caran D'Ache Pablo line, though they are more expensive. Dick Blick's own line is also pretty decent. I love the Derwent Graphitints but they are all darks... I got some Derwent Studio pencils but learned later that I should have gotten the artist ones - the studio ones do not blend well. I read around a little on scribbletalk and others recommended the Lyra (Koh-I-Noor) Polycolor and also Faber-Castell Polychromos... I haven't used either of those.

Maybe I'll post a comparison of blendability one of these days on my blog - would that be helpful? Only thing is that I don't have one same color in each brand.
How interesting you say that~! My kids gave me a beautiful set of Derwent Studio pencils for my b'day, & I'm going crazy trying to blend them, LOL! Now I know it's not me!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #1631
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I often have to tell myself that it is a fun hobby not an art competition, but it's only natural we like to get it coloured as good as possible.
So true! It's a very relaxing thing to do.... most of the time. I'm always just trying to learn something though every time I draw something. I can't compete with others cause everyone is different f you know what I mean.

I colored one today! Here in my gallery. Took awhile to finish it but I did!

Tim
Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #1632

OK, I posted a comparison of a few different pencil brands on my blog - if you have questions post them there so they're all in the same place for future reference...

http://mamadinis.blogspot.com/2010/0...omparison.html

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #1633
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
OK, I posted a comparison of a few different pencil brands on my blog - if you have questions post them there so they're all in the same place for future reference...

http://mamadinis.blogspot.com/2010/0...omparison.html
Thank you very much! This is helpful. I poked around your website & blog. Lots of talent in you! TFS.

"Jimmy, some of it's magic, some of it's tragic,
but I had a good life all the way..."
Old 07-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #1634
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to paris062

I just had to share - my DH bought me the Prismacolor Premier tin for my birthday!!! Yahoo! 132 colors to play with. If I only I could find the top of my craft desk! I have never used Prismas before and decided to try them before spending lots of $ on Copics.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #1635
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Dina! Great post... now I'm going to have to get some Derwent Graphitint Pencils.

Congrats on the pencils Lisa! Good luck on finding the top of your desk! Post something when you do!

Tim
Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #1636

Tim - you'll love them. The leads are really soft.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #1637
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Mama Dini's Stamperia: colored pencil comparison
Thanks for that Dina. I have been wanting to fill in some of the gaps that my Prismas colours don't cover, so now I know what to look for.

Much appreciated!!

My Gallery My Blog

Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #1638
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to paris062

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
Thanks Dina! Great post... now I'm going to have to get some Derwent Graphitint Pencils.

Congrats on the pencils Lisa! Good luck on finding the top of your desk! Post something when you do!

Tim
Question - I read on this thread somewhere that there is an issue with new pencils not blending? I just got mine so I am sure they were made in Mexico. Is this true? If so do I have any recourse if mine don't blend. I haven't gotten a chance to try them yet. I am worried because my DH got them at Joann's (had coupon) and they specifically told him that they could not be returned once it was opened.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #1639

added a 2nd post on my blog comparing pencils.......
Mama Dini's Stamperia: more pencil info

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 07-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #1640
Glitter Guru

Quote:
added a 2nd post on my blog comparing pencils.......
Mama Dini's Stamperia: more pencil info
Thank you Dina - this is so appreciated.

I can't believe how cheap a set of 72 Blick pencils are - I paid a couple of hundred (Australian) dollars here for my set of Prismas (I don't mind because I love them, but there are some big gaps in their colour range, and I have all 132 colours).

Thanks again Dina!

My Gallery My Blog