Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #121
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to steph772

Im not quite sure how popular Marcos Paper is, but if you have one around you, they sell gamsol and it comes with two stumps. I would love more stumps! I only have the two, i just sand off the color as needed so they dont mix together. But I could see where ten or so would be a nice number to have of them, lol.

Whoever asked about the SU crayons, you can buy some at Marcos, Micheals, HobbyLobby. Im not sure about the quality, but I bet it isnt much difference. That way you could try them out and it would be way cheaper. I have some that I got at HL and they are pretty neat to play around with.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #122
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1r601 View Post
Question about the stumps...

- How long does each stump last?
- What size do you use the most?
- What size would be great for starters like me?

Thanks again for all of the great info everyone has shared so far...
Hi alma! I have size 2 and 3 blender stumps. The size 2 I use for smaller parts of the images and 3 if I have to blend a llarger area. HTH!
proud fan club member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #123
Kookie Creator

There are two types of stumps too. Ones made in Tawain and ones made in China. A lot of people prefer the ones made in Tawain. Dick Blick sells the ones from China.

I bought stumps from Inky Antics - there's come from Tawain. I have about 20 stumps in three sizes.

Here's a card I made today using my prisma's too!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #124
Pearl-ExPert

Very cute card, Maria! I love the coloring on the owl flying. Very nice!!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #125
Stampin' Fool

Stumps made in Taiwan are better than the ones from China. However, Gina K designs has American made ones that work very well, too. They have Creative Mark written on them.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #126
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

a1r601
The stumps last for a long time. I tend to use the medium size which is #3 I believe although it's nice to have a couple of smaller ones handy if you want to do a smaller area. I have one for each color so I don't have to sand as frequently which is quite nice. I took a tip from stamps&cars and colored around each one so I know which one is for red, orange, etc.... I just use a large nail file that I purchased at a dollar store to sand my stumps and it works fine. Another thing about stumps what you really want are the solid ones not the ones that are just rolled up paper because what you are doing is soaking up the mineral spirits and then using the stump sort of as a mechanism for pushing the color on the paper. The ones that are not solid and are just rolled up paper won't work as well.

steph772
I didn't really shop around when I found the case I'll admit I didn't really think to do so because once I saw it I knew that's what I wanted. http://www.dickblick.com/products/gl...-pencil-cases/ I have the biggest one and it's quite nice. Leather with the inside pencil strap bits made of elastic the zippers even have little buttons that you can button to the case shut after zipping it. I think it's about 10 inches x 8 inches or so I could be off since I just measured with my finger. I have all 130 >.> of my pencils in there right now. As far as negatives hmmm I guess there is no place to store a sharpener or my stumps because I have too many pencils. Also the inside is a lighter leather so if you aren't careful you could accidentally color the inside but if you just push them out downwards that shouldn't be an issue. Like I've said I really like it heck you spent the money on the pencils you might as well spend the dough on a storage solution that keeps them safe right. :P
Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #127
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Question about the stumps...

- How long does each stump last?
- What size do you use the most?
- What size would be great for starters like me?

Thanks again for all of the great info everyone has shared so far...
How long do they last? Wow. Forever? Seriously, they're about 6" long and when you sand off the color, you're just sanding away just a bit of the surface.

Sizes - I've got probably 12 in everything from a 1 to a 5 and I use them all. It just depends on what I'm coloring. I would suggest getting an assortment (two if they're cheap) to play with. Once you get a feel for the sizes you use the most, you can add more in that size.

V
Old 04-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #128
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all of your responses...

I made the plunge tonight and bought myself a set of 120 on ebay for BIN price of $54.95 (this comes with 2 art stix and a sharpener). I was outbid on one earlier but it was only for 120 pencils (no extras) so I made a better deal with the one I ended up buying. I bought the other accessories (sanding block, stumps, colorless blending pencil, set of 12 colored pencils of the new colors) on Dick Blick since they are offering a $5.95 shipping promo until April 14 (otherwise shipping goes up to $13 via Fed-ex).

I will probably be using the baby oil method per Diane's (djuseless) tutorial since I have little kids at home and I already have a bottle that I found.

V: That is a great idea with baby jars (I saved some for some reason)...

Thanks again ladies...I am sure I will be back with more questions as soon as I get to playing with my new stuff next week. I can't wait to try it! Everyone has been very helpful and informative.

Have a Hoppy Easter!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #129
Kookie Creator

Quote:
V: That is a great idea with baby jars (I saved some for some reason)..
I've got a box of those suckers. They end up everywhere. I actually use 2 in my blending box. I've got a taller stage 3 tucked into the box to keep my stumps from taking over.

V
Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #130
Stazon Splitcoast

What a dork. I meant this to go in another thread...
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #131
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
I've got a box of those suckers. They end up everywhere. I actually use 2 in my blending box. I've got a taller stage 3 tucked into the box to keep my stumps from taking over.

V

Oh, great idea! I have some of the taller ones too. I bought 2 sets from DB so I will need something to put them in. It will be fun altering the jars. I knew they would come into good use one day .
Old 04-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #132
Insane Embellisher

Hi everyone! Great conversations still!

I have another card to share that I colored with. I am pretty happy with it except for her hair.

V - you asked the other day on my blog what I colored skin with - it's the same here:
997 Beige and then 927 Light Flesh laid over that.

Hair:
940 Sand then 942 Yellow Ochre blended over. Then I added 941 Raw Ochre over that to shade in. It got really dark so I added more Sand over that. BlAH!

Other colors used:
Slate Gray - no number as I or hubby sharpened from the wrong end
946 Dark Brown
939 Flesh & 926 Carmine - top
Attached Thumbnails
chellywithkitelt-cassielarson.jpg  
Old 04-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #133
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
Hi everyone! Great conversations still!

I have another card to share that I colored with. I am pretty happy with it except for her hair.

V - you asked the other day on my blog what I colored skin with - it's the same here:
997 Beige and then 927 Light Flesh laid over that.

Hair:
940 Sand then 942 Yellow Ochre blended over. Then I added 941 Raw Ochre over that to shade in. It got really dark so I added more Sand over that. BlAH!

Other colors used:
Slate Gray - no number as I or hubby sharpened from the wrong end
946 Dark Brown
939 Flesh & 926 Carmine - top
Nice coloring! Thanks for the color recipes! For skin and pigs I've been using Cream then Light Peach then Pink Rose...a little Tuscan Red here and there. I was looking for the numbers but the pencils are just nubs.

Here's a Prismacolor CARD I just did...
Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #134
Insane Embellisher

that is wonderful mrhambo!! i love the touch of red on the birds!!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #135
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
that is wonderful mrhambo!! i love the touch of red on the birds!!
Thanks so much!! I'm glad I found this thread. Prismacolors are awesome, I've been working with them for about a year now and learning new stuff all the time.

I did some jeans on this card...I started with an orange over the entire pants. Can't remember which orange, then Cloud Blue, then Denim Blue then Indigo for the dark areas along with some Pumpkin Orange.
It looks better in person than in the picture.

Some awesome stuff on this thread!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #136
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
Thanks so much!! I'm glad I found this thread. Prismacolors are awesome, I've been working with them for about a year now and learning new stuff all the time.

I did some jeans on this card...I started with an orange over the entire pants. Can't remember which orange, then Cloud Blue, then Denim Blue then Indigo for the dark areas along with some Pumpkin Orange.
It looks better in person than in the picture.

Some awesome stuff on this thread!
Oh cool! I never thought about doing an orange base for jeans!

V
Old 04-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #137
Insane Embellisher

another amazing one mrhambo!

one question - i read in the description that "no solvents" were used. so you aren't using gamsol/mineral spirits/baby oil to blend?

are you using the blender pencil? or just layering colors and blending with colors?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #138
Pearl-ExPert

I'm thinking of getting some Prismacolor pencils - I'm not much of a stamper, which is halfway because of my horrid coloring techniques. I have quite a few stamps that I sit and stare at and then do nothing with because I know the coloring will end up horrid. But I just have regular color pencils and a water brush to use with my ink pads. I'm hoping some Prismacolor pencils will get me going the right direction.

What set do you think would be the best for me to start off with? I like the watercolor "look" - are the watercolor pencils any good?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #139
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Oh cool! I never thought about doing an orange base for jeans!

V
It's a technique I've learned that uses complementary colors as underpainting. Orange is the complement of blue. It's an old technique but it really makes for rich colors. I don't always do it, the underpainting part, but I use complements to darken shadows.

If you want to get blown away check out this artist..Arlene Steinberg.
She literally wrote the book on colored pencil art. Also my other favorite CP artist Nicole Caulfield.
Heck while I'm at it.....Toni James. She's awesome as well.

Nicole has a great blog to check out.

Cass...I mostly blend with the pencils themselves. Some of the lighter colors work good for blending. I sometimes use solvents on big areas to just get color on quickly.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:28 AM   #140
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post

What set do you think would be the best for me to start off with? I like the watercolor "look" - are the watercolor pencils any good?
You don't have to get a big set to start. Maybe the 12 or 24? Then if you can find a place that sells them individually add to your set like that. I'm just getting ready to try the watercolors myself. Good luck and practice..practice..practice!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #141
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Wow - just found this thread....now I need to go back and read all the great advise. I'm having some paper trouble, but I've found that Cryogen White (like SU Shimmer White) works the best for me, but now I want to try watercolor paper too. I have noticed that my black ink smears sometimes. I've been using black Staz-on and only have problems *sometimes* - need to do a little more investigation with that. And I need to get more colors!!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Old 04-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #142
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsnelson View Post
Wow - just found this thread....now I need to go back and read all the great advise. I'm having some paper trouble, but I've found that Cryogen White (like SU Shimmer White) works the best for me, but now I want to try watercolor paper too. I have noticed that my black ink smears sometimes. I've been using black Staz-on and only have problems *sometimes* - need to do a little more investigation with that. And I need to get more colors!!
You definitely should try some watercolor paper. There are really a ton of good papers to try, but paper is key. It will make everything flow much easier since it is made for blending colors.
Have fun! It is so great to look and see your creations and think, WOW, i did that!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #143
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
It's a technique I've learned that uses complementary colors as underpainting. Orange is the complement of blue. It's an old technique but it really makes for rich colors. I don't always do it, the underpainting part, but I use complements to darken shadows.

If you want to get blown away check out this artist..Arlene Steinberg.
She literally wrote the book on colored pencil art. Also my other favorite CP artist Nicole Caulfield.
Heck while I'm at it.....Toni James. She's awesome as well.

Nicole has a great blog to check out.

Cass...I mostly blend with the pencils themselves. Some of the lighter colors work good for blending. I sometimes use solvents on big areas to just get color on quickly.
Um WOW! those are some amazing artists. I hope I can do half of what they can do some day.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #144
Mad Swapper

Anyone looking for a great deal on prisma colored pencils (120 set)...here is one on ebay for $52.99 with FREE priority shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/PRISMACOLOR-120-...3A1%7C294%3A50

I was too eager to buy and could have saved $10 on shipping. Shucks! Oh well, hope someone can take advantage of this one...
Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #145
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
I'm thinking of getting some Prismacolor pencils - I'm not much of a stamper, which is halfway because of my horrid coloring techniques. I have quite a few stamps that I sit and stare at and then do nothing with because I know the coloring will end up horrid. But I just have regular color pencils and a water brush to use with my ink pads. I'm hoping some Prismacolor pencils will get me going the right direction.

Make sure to check out ebay for deals on the watercolor pencils...Dick Blick is also having a shipping promo for only $5.95 on all size orders until April 14. Otherwise standard shipping starts from $13 depending on size of order.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #146
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatingisfun View Post
oh wow, im going to sally's today
I went and got me a bottle
Old 04-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #147
Stampin' Fool

I just wanted to share that I decided to do a paper experiment and just see if there was any difference between the paper I HAVE been using like Georgia Pacific or Wasau and try a new one from PaperTrey Ink white CS. I must say, I'm quite impressed!! Not only did I get outstanding customer service and my paper in a timely manner but, it also was only $6.00 for 40 sheets. I didn't think that was too bad. Here's a card I made with it today. I used my Prismacolor pencils here with OMS and blender stump and it seemed to blend a lot easier. I stamped the CDS image onto it. HTH!
Attached Thumbnails
sueseggstraspecialcard-scb.jpg  
proud fan club member
Old 04-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #148
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbybubbles View Post
I just wanted to share that I decided to do a paper experiment and just see if there was any difference between the paper I HAVE been using like Georgia Pacific or Wasau and try a new one from PaperTrey Ink white CS. I must say, I'm quite impressed!! Not only did I get outstanding customer service and my paper in a timely manner but, it also was only $6.00 for 40 sheets. I didn't think that was too bad. Here's a card I made with it today. I used my Prismacolor pencils here with OMS and blender stump and it seemed to blend a lot easier. I stamped the CDS image onto it. HTH!
First, what a pretty card! Second, I also have been using Georgia Pacific but have been considering PTI. I may have to order some PTI, if there is a notable difference in blending.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #149
Insane Embellisher

very, very pretty! thanks for sharing!!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #150
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamD View Post
First, what a pretty card! Second, I also have been using Georgia Pacific but have been considering PTI. I may have to order some PTI, if there is a notable difference in blending.
Thanks! Well, to me, I feel like I got my money's worth not to mention the weight of the paper. IMO, it feels heavier than the GP. I was pleasantly surprised and it also takes stamped images nicer too!
proud fan club member
Old 04-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #151
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
very, very pretty! thanks for sharing!!
thanks! and your welcome!
proud fan club member
Old 04-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #152
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-12-2009, 04:25 AM   #153
Matboard Maniac

Is there a chart of prisma colors that can printed? I have the 72 set, and would like a chart to take with me when I purchase new individual pencils.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #154
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Is there a chart of prisma colors that can printed? I have the 72 set, and would like a chart to take with me when I purchase new individual pencils.
Here you go! this is the Prismacolor site. This is where I printed off my 24 count chart. Just scroll down a little bit. The different tabs have the different count numbers. 72 COUNT COLORS
proud fan club member

Last edited by scrubbybubbles; 04-12-2009 at 05:55 AM..
Old 04-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #155
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbybubbles View Post
I just wanted to share that I decided to do a paper experiment and just see if there was any difference between the paper I HAVE been using like Georgia Pacific or Wasau and try a new one from PaperTrey Ink white CS. I must say, I'm quite impressed!! Not only did I get outstanding customer service and my paper in a timely manner but, it also was only $6.00 for 40 sheets. I didn't think that was too bad.
I haven't tried PTI for paper yet. I love Gina K's and have a nice stock of that at the moment. I do think that good quality paper does make the difference when you're coloring and blending, though.

V
Old 04-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #156
Kookie Creator

Quote:
If you want a chart to color in as you add, I uploaded an excel chart with the 120 colors. ? for Prismacolor Pencil Fans

V
Old 04-12-2009, 06:07 AM   #157
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
If you want a chart to color in as you add, I uploaded an excel chart with the 120 colors. ? for Prismacolor Pencil Fans

V
oh yeah! I forgot about this... This is a GREAT chart!
proud fan club member
Old 04-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #158
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I haven't tried PTI for paper yet. I love Gina K's and have a nice stock of that at the moment. I do think that good quality paper does make the difference when you're coloring and blending, though.

V
Your right. I didn't think there would be much of a difference but, I was mistaken. Yanno, it's funny but, I was just talking to my boyfriend pat last night and realized that I have slowly been switching some of my supplies over from "what I could afford to start with" to "some nicer quality products" For instance, I was using the watercolor markers from Joanne's for about a year or so. I recently switched over to Tombow watercolor markers when I got my tax refund money back. What a difference IMO.
The same with my colored pencils. I was using Scribblers 40 professional pencils that my BF got me. Now I use the Prismacolor pencils and there is no comparison. These are by far, superior. Now I'm doing it with my cardstock. I just tried some colored CS from prism and I love the quality. Same with the PTI white CS. lovely!
proud fan club member
Old 04-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #159
Insane Embellisher

Does Prism have different quality papers? My LSS switched from Bazzill to Prism many months ago and I thought it was horrible!! No weight at all for a card base. But I hear all the time that people love Prism......
Old 04-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #160
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

V
Thanks! This is great!