Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #1201
Forum Fanatic

Default Prismacolor pencils

The info here has got me going with my pencils.......

I am working through the book recommended here- the book on Prismacolor Pencils is awesome to help me learn more about color. It will help me with my Copics too- I know it will. Anyway the book is Masterful Color, Vibrant colored Pencil paintings layer by layer by Arlene Steinberg. The exercise I am currently on is making your own color wheel- it has 3 levels- outer, middle and inner (like a dart board if that makes sense). I am starting by putting in the Primary Colors, next the Secondary colors, adding in the Tertiary colors.
On the wheel, I will add in Tints and Shades. To create tints, add white to the middle rung of the wheel, Shades from Complimentary colors- which is the center of the wheel, add color from the opposite color to create a neutral color. I am a visual learner, so need to see this and do it in order to ‘get it’. I know I will start to see it in my work and the work of others- but I have to ‘do it’ in order to get it.
I bet working with a color wheel and Prismacolor pencils- for a visual learner, this would be an excellent exercise- I realized when I purchased the set of pencils and there were 20- or so- grey pencils that I did not have a clue..... the divide is, in my opinion, between the true artist and the artisan crafter- which I consider myself. I have learned so much since that time, and now understand the cool, warm and neutral idea.....but I did not get it until recently.

(Oh, I checked the book out of the library, and am on page 38- it WILL be on my Christmas list- it is awesome! I especially love the pages of images that she has already colored in and provides all of the pencil colors she used- it will be awesome to figure out shading......I can zerox the drawing on GP paper and go to town! I wish they were online and I could resize them, but oh well- I will not complain!). Thanks again for the wonderful recommendation and all of the wonderful tips!

Shelly
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #1202
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

Wow Shelly! That sounds like an excellent book! It will go on my gift list!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #1203
Kookie Creator

Can someone please suggest a book for a beginner? I don't have a clue about shading, color layers, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #1204
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiscrapper View Post
Can someone please suggest a book for a beginner? I don't have a clue about shading, color layers, etc.

Thanks in advance!
The book by Arlene Steinberg a few posts up is an excellent book!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 AM   #1205
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
It's on my Christmas and Birthday lists!!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #1206
Forum Fanatic

Default Prismacolor on sale

My niece is very interested in Art (and talented to), and mentioned she would LOVE Prismacolor pencils- I went and looked at the prices at Dick Blick on-line, and the prices are fabulous!!! I think they are 40% off! I bought her a set of 72....... She is in HS and is newly being home schooled, so I think these will really keep her busy!

I also did not know you can order individual pencils- on sale for 0.89 cents each......pretty good deal- Oh- if you spend over $50.00, there is also a rebate- $10.00 for $50-100spent and it goes up from there.......Wahoo!

Shelly

Last edited by mcschmidty; 12-20-2009 at 02:37 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #1207
Polyshrink Goddess

You're a good aunt Shelly!! Was going to say Great Aunt but that might put you in a different age bracket... lol.

I finally worked on a couple of more cards. I broke out the Copics to do the sky in these two but went over it with the pencils to mute and blend the colors. I'm very pleased with the way the sky turned out and I want to incorporate Copics a little more. Especially in large areas, pencils take time to cover a big area you know.

Here's one card and here's another. Thanks for looking and Happy Coloring everyone!!

Tim
Old 12-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #1208
Forum Fanatic

Fun cards Tim. That streaky thing you mentioned in your blog post is why I stick to pencils. I have never figured how to not get that with markers. You figured it out. They look great!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #1209
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntangie View Post
Fun cards Tim. That streaky thing you mentioned in your blog post is why I stick to pencils. I have never figured how to not get that with markers. You figured it out. They look great!
Thanks Angie! Fortunately the streaky thing kind of worked this time. I've used the Copics when they don't streak. I was more intent on filling the area rather than concentrate on technique I guess. Also I was using GP cardstock and not a higher grade paper... and the sun was in my eyes.. and someone snapped a picture when I started to draw...etc...lol

Thanks for looking!

Tim
Old 12-22-2009, 03:39 AM   #1210
Polyshrink Goddess

Just thought of a tip that might be helpful. Also wanted to see how others handle it.

For shading on white... like snow and clothes... I used Greyed Lavender for shading and if there is a deeper shadow I used Slate Grey mixed with it. Makes it a little livelier than just plain greys imho.

Tim
Old 12-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #1211
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcschmidty View Post
The info here has got me going with my pencils.......

I am working through the book recommended here- the book on Prismacolor Pencils is awesome to help me learn more about color. It will help me with my Copics too- I know it will. Anyway the book is Masterful Color, Vibrant colored Pencil paintings layer by layer by Arlene Steinberg. The exercise I am currently on is making your own color wheel- it has 3 levels- outer, middle and inner (like a dart board if that makes sense). I am starting by putting in the Primary Colors, next the Secondary colors, adding in the Tertiary colors.
On the wheel, I will add in Tints and Shades. To create tints, add white to the middle rung of the wheel, Shades from Complimentary colors- which is the center of the wheel, add color from the opposite color to create a neutral color. I am a visual learner, so need to see this and do it in order to ‘get it’. I know I will start to see it in my work and the work of others- but I have to ‘do it’ in order to get it.
I bet working with a color wheel and Prismacolor pencils- for a visual learner, this would be an excellent exercise- I realized when I purchased the set of pencils and there were 20- or so- grey pencils that I did not have a clue..... the divide is, in my opinion, between the true artist and the artisan crafter- which I consider myself. I have learned so much since that time, and now understand the cool, warm and neutral idea.....but I did not get it until recently.

(Oh, I checked the book out of the library, and am on page 38- it WILL be on my Christmas list- it is awesome! I especially love the pages of images that she has already colored in and provides all of the pencil colors she used- it will be awesome to figure out shading......I can zerox the drawing on GP paper and go to town! I wish they were online and I could resize them, but oh well- I will not complain!). Thanks again for the wonderful recommendation and all of the wonderful tips!

Shelly
are we reading the same book?? whoa!!!! It is not for the faint of heart, methinks. She says NOT to use the grays, I thought.
But, tell me, do you all really sharpen your pencils every minute? Do you really do about 10 layers of color on every drawing? How long does it take you to color a card, then?

I'm looking to improve my technique, but no way will I ever be an artist like the author. I'm not that patient! I just want to make nice looking cards!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 12-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #1212
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
For a beginner, though?

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #1213
Gallery Gazer

I just found this thread and I LOVE it! I'm a Prisma girl all the way and since I'm traveling and couldn't fly my OMS, I'm going to try out the baby oil technique today.

Here is my question though ~ I thought you could only get the proper blending with the watercolor pencils. Me thinks I'm wrong....

I received a lovely and large gift card from my kids for Christmas and I really want to get a large set if I can. I'm liking the idea of not having all those luscious colors! Christmas everyday.....
Old 12-31-2009, 06:44 AM   #1214
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketbelle View Post
I just found this thread and I LOVE it! I'm a Prisma girl all the way and since I'm traveling and couldn't fly my OMS, I'm going to try out the baby oil technique today.

Here is my question though ~ I thought you could only get the proper blending with the watercolor pencils. Me thinks I'm wrong....
Blending with regular colored pencils is different and the same as with watercolors. Confusing, right? Watercolor pencils blend with water. They are essentially dry watercolor pigments pressed into leads and encased in wood for a pencil format rather than a cake that you would get in a regular water color set. They work much the same except you lay them down as you would colored pencils and then blend with water rather than picking up the color with a wet brush. You can do the wet brush technique with them, just touch the brush to the lead of the pencils to lift the color.

As for regular colored pencils, there are two ways to blend them, dry and wet. Dry is done by coloring over a previously colored area with either a colorless blender or another colored pencil. The wet format is done with a solvent, such as baby oil or OMS. The technique is much the same as using watercolor pencils. Colors can be layered on top of each other, just keep in mind that unlike dry blending, which just blends the top two colors applied, OMS/baby oil will cause ALL the layers to blend together.

V
Old 12-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #1215
Gallery Gazer

Thanks V! I've actually been blending my watercolor pencils with OMS or baby oil. Just started with the baby oil. I do use an aqua painter with them at times too - when I have my hands on some good watercolor paper. Now I'm totally excited about expanding my color options.

and going thru the whole thread here - it's going to take some time but there are so many great tips here that I know it will be worth it.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #1216
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Thanks V! I've actually been blending my watercolor pencils with OMS or baby oil. Just started with the baby oil. I do use an aqua painter with them at times too - when I have my hands on some good watercolor paper. Now I'm totally excited about expanding my color options.

and going thru the whole thread here - it's going to take some time but there are so many great tips here that I know it will be worth it.
V gave you a great answer! Welcome to the thread and Prismacolors!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #1217
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
For a beginner, though?
Sure. Why not? I've seen beginners do her exercises and do well.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #1218
Insane Embellisher

Oh my....I figured I could write this here as you can feel my pain....after spending an hour making 4 cards and painstakingly coloring all of them with my Prismas, I bumped the pill bottle I had third full of eco house solvent (which I am usually VERY good about putting the lid on when not in use) and it spilled all over my craft table, and all over one of the images I had just colored (thank goodness not all 3!). Lost a sheet of dimensionals and a big stack of scrap paper....but at least it smells like oranges and not standard OMS in my room. Grrrrrrr! Needless to say I hopped right on Gina K's website and ordered a glass pump pronto. I was too cheap to do so before, and now I'm going to be safe rather than sorry again
Old 12-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #1219
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher114 View Post
Oh my....I figured I could write this here as you can feel my pain....after spending an hour making 4 cards and painstakingly coloring all of them with my Prismas, I bumped the pill bottle I had third full of eco house solvent (which I am usually VERY good about putting the lid on when not in use) and it spilled all over my craft table, and all over one of the images I had just colored (thank goodness not all 3!). Lost a sheet of dimensionals and a big stack of scrap paper....but at least it smells like oranges and not standard OMS in my room. Grrrrrrr! Needless to say I hopped right on Gina K's website and ordered a glass pump pronto. I was too cheap to do so before, and now I'm going to be safe rather than sorry again
Oh NO! Those little pumps are pricey, but you'll love it. It is so much easier and you don't have to worry about spills, just tap the lid closed and off you go.

V
Old 01-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #1220
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Sure. Why not? I've seen beginners do her exercises and do well.
Well, it was completely overwhelming to me, personally. The only exercise I felt capable of doing was the wheel one (and even had trouble with that). All the composition lessons eluded me, I could not see how she could figure all those things out; and the amount of time it would take to follow all those layers for coloring the images seems unreachable to me.
Do you actually do that many layers when you make a card?
Perhaps the "beginners" you saw had experience in other artistic venues?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #1221
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Been there, done that only mine spilled on my box of Derwent pencils and softened them quite a bit

Someone here suggested using a baby food jar with cotton in the bottom, so I went out and bought a jar of baby food at WalMart so I'd have one to use!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #1222
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Someone here suggested using a baby food jar with cotton in the bottom, so I went out and bought a jar of baby food at WalMart so I'd have one to use!
Well, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than pretty much any other solution we can come up with!

V
Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #1223
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Been there, done that only mine spilled on my box of Derwent pencils and softened them quite a bit

I use Goo Gone in place of OMS or baby oil. I've had success using a tiny glass jar (emptied of pimento peppers) in which I've placed a couple of makeup sponges soaked in Goo Gone.

~ Rita
Old 01-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #1224
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Do you actually do that many layers when you make a card?
Perhaps the "beginners" you saw had experience in other artistic venues?
I guess you may be right. The 'beginners' I've seen probably do have some experience but not in colored pencil. I see their work on another site. I'll usually do 6-8 layers. Sometimes more and sometimes less.

Composition has always been a fun thing for me. Kind of a puzzle to solve. Always so much to learn about it though.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #1225
Gallery Gazer

Okay - I've read thru to page 15 and will have to come back and read some more. Lots and lots of information here...

I've decided too, that I have serious pencil envy. I have a pack of 12 Koh-i-nor and a pack of 24 Prisma Watercolor pencils. I blend those with OMS and now, with baby oil. I really would love to get a larger set - I'm scoping one out on Dick Blick... the 120. Especially now that I know you can blend the "regular" pencils too. I can't even imagine having all those colors available.

Here are a few things that I've done recently. Nothing overly new posted on the blog (other than grandbaby pictures) since I've been working like crazy and traveling. I'd love some input!
Attached Thumbnails
kit-cat-october.jpg   whiff.jpg   digital-pencil-challenge.jpg  
Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #1226
Embossing Fanatic

I was wondering which type of prismacolor pencils to get. I am new to stamping and coloring but I want to learn. So far I gather that Berol prismacolor and the prisma premier. I am still confused as to which to get.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #1227
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindie75 View Post
I was wondering which type of prismacolor pencils to get. I am new to stamping and coloring but I want to learn. So far I gather that Berol prismacolor and the prisma premier. I am still confused as to which to get.
You want the prismacolor premier pencils. It is my understanding that all of the Prisma lines will blend, but the Premiers are the best at it.

V
Old 01-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #1228
Embossing Fanatic

Wow, ticketbelle those pictures are beautiful. I love them.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #1229
Embossing Fanatic

I love my Primacolor pencils! I also color with the Copic markers but, I started and still love the prismacolor pencils. I have not tried the gamesol, yet though. Any suggestions for a beginer. Like supplies you like the best? I have the scholar set right now of the pencils but, I want to get the premier set soon. Does this make a difference when using the gamesol? Also do you have to use the special blending stumps?? any suggestions would be great.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #1230
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindie75 View Post
Wow, ticketbelle those pictures are beautiful. I love them.
Thanks - there is so much I need to learn yet which is why I love this thread. So much wonderful information.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #1231
Polyshrink Goddess

Very nice coloring Michelle!!

Jenn, you don't have to use the stumps. Sometimes I use Q-tips. I don't use a whole lot of Gamsol anyway. I've never used the Scholar ones but they are wax based so Gamsol ( a brand name for orderless mineral spirits) should work on them.

Tim
Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #1232
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the info Tim.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 AM   #1233
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
I tried ordering from Gina K but her bottles are all sold out.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #1234
Embossing Fanatic

[QUOTE=ticketbelle;15795358]Thanks V! I've actually been blending my watercolor pencils with OMS or baby oil. Just started with the baby oil.

Which do you think is better baby oil or OMS? What made you change to baby oil?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #1235
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=mindie75;15819760]
Quote:
Thanks V! I've actually been blending my watercolor pencils with OMS or baby oil. Just started with the baby oil.

I never used OMS. I have two littles and the thought of having solvent where their inquisitive little fingers could get into it gave me the willies. I tried baby oil first, as I had some. I used it for several months while I looked for an eco and child friendlier version of OMS. I learned about Zest-It, read up on it extensively and decided that would be the best option for me. I love it. It blends beautifully.

I still do everything I can to keep the Zest-It out of kid reach, not to mention my pencils. But my children love coloring with me (with their crayons) and I don't worry about OMS fumes and whatnot when we sit down for a colorfest.

V
Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #1236
Polyshrink Goddess

A colorfest sounds fun! My kids have a little store set up in our basement where they can hang their pictures and sell them... to us... lol. My son named the store 'Hot Ham'. His pictures sell for $2.99 for the most part but he'll dicker with you.

I put up a new scene/card in my Gallery today if you're interested! Have a great day and Happy Coloring!!

Tim
Old 01-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #1237
Gallery Gazer

[QUOTE=mindie75;15819760]
Quote:
Thanks V! I've actually been blending my watercolor pencils with OMS or baby oil. Just started with the baby oil.

I switched to baby oil because I was flying and couldn't tote OMS. I think I actually like the baby oil better but probably need to do a side by side test to see.

I found little glass jars with great lids at Michaels that hold 2 oz and I think they were .99 each. Nice and heavy with a wide bottom so they are quite stable. I have one now with each OMS and baby oil in them.

I'm lucky enough not to have issues with odors so that never bothered me and when the grandbabies come over I just close the doors to the craft room. I'm very diligent about recapping too.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #1238
Gallery Gazer

Tim - I love your card. It's definitely a LOL...

V - I would love to try Zest- it too. I just started learning about it here and will probably bite the bullet and order some in spite of the shipping. While I try to do everything I can to ensure that things are safe, a bit more never hurts.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #1239
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrea6760

Thanks for bringing this thread back up to the front of the line as it is a great topic. I am a huge fan of prismacolor colored pencils and odorless mineral spirits. I have found that the best results for me is using Versafine Onyx Black (for fine detail stamps) or Stazon inks and Wausau cardstock. I have no issues with inks running and the images are crisp and clean. For the Cricut owners, the Wausau cardstock also cuts like butter with crisp edges. I found the Wausau cardstock at Target and reasonably priced.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #1240
Matboard Maniac

Default Any Good Sales Now on Prisma Sets???

I gave my large set to my daughter for Christmas, so I'm looking for a good sale on the large PrismaColor set. I got the last set on sale from Utrect.
TIA