Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #81
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug4233 View Post
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I bought the 120 and it suppose to be here Wednesday. YEAH!!!

Candie
oooh! congratulations!
proud fan club member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #82
Stampin' Fool

I attached a card that I just finished last night as I had to go out of town on sunday and didn't get to play. When I do my shading, I start with a darker complimentary color around the edges of my image and then color in the rest with a lighter shade and then use my OMS and blender stump and blend the 2 together. I also tend to use an eraser that I bought at a local art store to erase certain parts to help highlight it. This is an easy and fun way to help you shade. IMO.

As for my OMS, I use a bottle I bought at Sally's Beauty supply. It works great! it's a plastic pump bottle that you use for removing nail polish and other chemicals for cosmetic purposes. BUT, it also works perfectly for the blender stumps b/c all you have to do is pump it a little and the oms sits on top in the cap. It absorbs back naturally so, you don't have to worry about it staying in the lid. I LOVE it! it's made my life so much easier. I'm going to include a picture of it as well. HTH!
Attached Thumbnails
2ndomsbtlimagesue-scb.jpg   suesomsbottle-scb.jpg   suesbunny-scb.jpg  
proud fan club member
Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #83
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbybubbles View Post
I attached a card that I just finished last night as I had to go out of town on sunday and didn't get to play. When I do my shading, I start with a darker complimentary color around the edges of my image and then color in the rest with a lighter shade and then use my OMS and blender stump and blend the 2 together. I also tend to use an eraser that I bought at a local art store to erase certain parts to help highlight it. This is an easy and fun way to help you shade. IMO.

As for my OMS, I use a bottle I bought at Sally's Beauty supply. It works great! it's a plastic pump bottle that you use for removing nail polish and other chemicals for cosmetic purposes. BUT, it also works perfectly for the blender stumps b/c all you have to do is pump it a little and the oms sits on top in the cap. It absorbs back naturally so, you don't have to worry about it staying in the lid. I LOVE it! it's made my life so much easier. I'm going to include a picture of it as well. HTH!

THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting about these bottles I was looking for something like that , now I know where to go and get it.

I also would like to thank V for starting this thread it ROCKS

I love my prisma pencils.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #84
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chispirit View Post
THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting about these bottles I was looking for something like that , now I know where to go and get it.

I also would like to thank V for starting this thread it ROCKS

I love my prisma pencils.

Your very welcome!
proud fan club member
Old 04-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #85
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

Here's one creations for tonight using an image colored with my favorite pencils:

Party Hearty
Old 04-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #86
Kookie Creator

Diane;

He's so cute!

Sue - I downloaded that bunny earlier today! I love your coloring on him!

Keep an eye on that acetone bottle. I've heard that over time the OMS will break down the plastic on them. Nothing to keep you from using them certainly, something to be aware of in the long run.

I found a cute stainless steel version of that bottle and I've got it bookmarked for later. I think it will look cute with a banding to match my blending box, not to mention being handy as heck! For now, though, I'm sticking with my baby oil.

V
Old 04-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #87
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Diane;

Keep an eye on that acetone bottle. I've heard that over time the OMS will break down the plastic on them. Nothing to keep you from using them certainly, something to be aware of in the long run.

V
I looked into that before I bought it and your right. There are different plastics that tolerate different things or only hold acetone. This particular bottle says on the label that it can handle many different types of liquids and mediums. Just FYI. I should have stated that. Thanks V for bringing that to our attention.
proud fan club member
Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #88
Gabfest Goddess

Gina K sells a bottle on her site that looks very close to the one Sue uses, I don't know if it is glass or plastic, she had it in her video.
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #89
Gabfest Goddess

Here is another way to store it, check out this blog:
http://craftharsis.blogspot.com/2007...l-toolbox.html
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 04-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #90
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
Gina K sells a bottle on her site that looks very close to the one Sue uses, I don't know if it is glass or plastic, she had it in her video.
Gina's are glass. You can find them on Amazon in glass and on various nail care supply sites in the same format. They run between $25 to $36 for a 6 oz. I've also found amber glass and the stainless steel in 4 oz for around $17.

V
Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #91
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Hi Cassie;

The card is very cute! You're doing great!

What "technique" are you using for your coloring? Loaded question, I know. When you put your color in before you ever pick up your stumps, how do you go about it? I think that might help us understand how to best help you with your shading.

In general, look at the little girl and think about where natural shadows would fall no matter where the light is coming from. For instance, the edges of her dress where the coat overlaps it would have some shading so I would make the edges there just a bit darker than the hem of the dress.

Actual shading can be as easy as going back and adding another layer of color on top of what you've blended out in the areas where you want your shading. You can also go with a darker tone pencil or even into the lighter grey families.

V
LOL!! I thought it was the colored pencil/baby oil technique!! ???

Anyway --- when you add the shading, do ya'll still blend with a circular motion - or a straight, pulling motion. I think I'm going to try that second method here in a bit.

I would love to learn to use the colorless blender. The first time i tried it (HERE), it worked beautifully!! But ever since then - I can't get the color to move!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #92
Embossing Fanatic

I am glad I found this thread!! I tried the copics and although great, I like the look of colored pencils...I am off to the store tomorrow to pick up some Prismacolor pencils

Sounds like I need some baby oil too. thanks for all the great tips everyone has posted here. I cant wait to play!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #93
Crimping Master

Quote:
I also have a plastic pump bottle that I use with my OMS. But my OMS came in a plastic container. So far, my pump bottle shows no signs of breaking down.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 AM   #94
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to steph772

Can you not keep the gamsol in the bottle it comes in or were you just finding one you preferred better? Just checking, my gamsol came with a squishy thing on top of it like those you are showing. But i certainly am going to move it into something else if that container isnt safe. I have little girls running around my stamp room and no way do I want them messing with that stuff it it leaks.

I love all your cards!!!! Very nice job coloring them, ladies!

Im still on my hunt for a container, i will search around the net today a bit. Im a newly alone sahm ( my husband was laid off from GM for a year and he started school last week) so Im very bored!

Maybe Ill actually make it to my stamp room today!
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #95
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
LOL!! I thought it was the colored pencil/baby oil technique!! ???

Anyway --- when you add the shading, do ya'll still blend with a circular motion - or a straight, pulling motion. I think I'm going to try that second method here in a bit.
I told you it was a loaded question! I was asking how you put your color on the paper to start with before you start blending. That will effect how the project looks at the end. Some people start by just drawing around the edge of the space and then pulling the color into the white space. I've tried that and I just don't like the effect. I prefer to color the whole area lightly with my lightest pencil tone and then blend that out into a solid color across the area. Then I got back and start looking at where it should be shaded and I add colors and blend them into my base. I feel like it gives me more control over my color and the shading that way.

Plus, the way I color, it doesn't matter how I blend. At least for the base anyway. For shading I do both straight lines and circles, although I tend towards straight. Again, it's a control issue. I feel like I have more control if I'm using straight strokes over little circles. I can curve my strokes when I'm working areas like faces and hair and where things would curve around a figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph772 View Post
Can you not keep the gamsol in the bottle it comes in or were you just finding one you preferred better? Just checking, my gamsol came with a squishy thing on top of it like those you are showing. But i certainly am going to move it into something else if that container isnt safe. I have little girls running around my stamp room and no way do I want them messing with that stuff it it leaks.
Steph - if your Gamsol came in a plastic bottle, odds are high that the bottle is safe for it. The reports I've read where they discovered the bottle wasn't the best, there wasn't leaking. The bottles swelled out of shape over time.

For usability, people are often looking for the pump style bottle like nail techs use for acetone, where you push on the top and a little bit of liquid pools in the top. It will very slowly drain back into the bottle. You are able to dip your stump into the little pool to wet it and work.

Have you seen Gina K's stamp TV video? She shows using one of these. They're very appealing, but they are NOT kid safe. They have a flip top that doesn't latch closed. It just protects the top of the pump mechanism.

V
Old 04-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #96
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

I've had my OMS in a plastic bottle since Nov 2007 and it has been fine so far. It's one that I got at Michael's and has a sponge top which is great for just dipping my stumps in. As far as storage goes I love the spendy Dick Blick holder I debated for a long time and finally treated myself to it. I really like it since I like to take my pencils on the go. For pictures visit here http://craftharsis.blogspot.com/2007...l-toolbox.html
Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #97
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDragoness View Post
I've had my OMS in a plastic bottle since Nov 2007 and it has been fine so far. It's one that I got at Michael's and has a sponge top which is great for just dipping my stumps in. As far as storage goes I love the spendy Dick Blick holder I debated for a long time and finally treated myself to it. I really like it since I like to take my pencils on the go. For pictures visit here http://craftharsis.blogspot.com/2007...l-toolbox.html
I really liked your pencil case! I currently have mine in the original tin but I wrap two large elastics around the case to keep the cover on when I bring them somewhere. I will be taking them with me more often now that camping season is almost here so that case would be better for me. I feel an order coming! LOL!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #98
Glitter Queen

Thanks for this thread, just wondering where all you crafty types purchased your Prismas? I'm in Canada, so am thinking Michaels? Thanks for all the suggestions, looking forward to getting some..
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #99
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDragoness View Post
Of all the organization products I have saw, i believe I like yours the best. I think it would suit me best, because I could have it sprawled out when Im playing and tuck it away when it is not needed.
Would you mind telling me more about it? Where did you get it? Cost and anything you dont like about it?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #100
Kookie Creator

I really like the pencil case, too. I did some searching online and the best price I found for it is over at Cheap Joes for $32. I know Hobby Lobby carries it for $40, so I just need to wait for a 40% coupon and snag it.

V
Old 04-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #101
Stazon Splitcoast

It took me 4 tries but I won a brand new still in shrink wrap set from Ebay. The set of 120 only cost me $52.00. There are a lot of great deals on Ebay for the Prismas but you have to be patient. I was so happy when I got the notice that I finally won a set. Mind you I tried 4 times but all in one week so not too bad of a wait. It is worth at least a look to see if you can find a good deal tool. Yesterday there were multiple sets sitting at 31.00 for the 120 count.
Blessings.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #102
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I really like the pencil case, too. I did some searching online and the best price I found for it is over at Cheap Joes for $32. I know Hobby Lobby carries it for $40, so I just need to wait for a 40% coupon and snag it.

V
I think that is what I will do too.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #103
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Diane;

V
I keep mine in a plastic container I got at Joann's in the dollar bin--I think these were 2/$1--and it's been in there for a year with no break-down to the plastic. I keep a few of the cotton nail polish remover wipes inside as a sponge. No problems.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #104
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasue123 View Post
Thanks for this thread, just wondering where all you crafty types purchased your Prismas? I'm in Canada, so am thinking Michaels? Thanks for all the suggestions, looking forward to getting some..
I am in Canada and I picked up a small set today (couldnt wait til payday for a bigger one lol!) from Michaels. someone told me that there are some art supplies stores locally that carry them as well.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #105
Pearl-ExPert

I get my prismas from Mikes, Hobby Lobby or Marcos paper. Ive never ordered them online.
Be careful when you buy them, if they have been dropped it will break the lead inside and they will never sharpen properly. Always inspect the pencils before you buy them.
I had one drop once and the pencil is messed up to say the least!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #106
Stampin' Fool

I bought my Prismacolor pencils (set of 24) initially from Joannes.com with a coupon. Then, I ended up buying a set of 12 each of the 2006 & 2007 colors from MisterArt. Finally, I had a 50% coupon off for Michael's so I ended up buying the 72 count set. Overall, I'm very pleased with the selection although, I do have some repeat colors. I don't care..I'll probably end up using them over time. I DID get the names of the Portrait Kit colors of 24 and went and bought the colors I didn't have at a local art supply store.

I printed out V's chart for the pencils and colored in the boxes of all the pencils I currently own but, am STILL missing like 32 of them! So, I figured I buy the individual colors that I'm missing to make up a full set.
proud fan club member
Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #107
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph772 View Post
I get my prismas from Mikes, Hobby Lobby or Marcos paper. Ive never ordered them online.
Be careful when you buy them, if they have been dropped it will break the lead inside and they will never sharpen properly. Always inspect the pencils before you buy them.
I had one drop once and the pencil is messed up to say the least!
Is there anyone else who can chime in with experience with this? I was thinking about buying on line and now I have second thoughts.
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #108
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Dorthy,

My advice is to search your local art supply stores, see if they have a coupon and buy locally because some of the leads are broken inside. Aaron Brothers had it on sale, plus I had a 50% off coupon which worked out really nice.

I was coloring yesterday and when I went to sharpen some pencils, they kept breaking. So I did a search and Gina K Designs had some answers on that subject. Some leads are broken and sometimes too much pressure when sharpening causes them to break. HTH
Old 04-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #109
Matboard Maniac

What a fantastic thread. Thank you so much for sharing your experience & tutorials, I've found them very informative.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #110
Pearl-ExPert

I have a green pencil that was dropped on my concrete floor in the basement and I tried and tried to get it to sharpen properly, but no go for me. It is a mess. I believe it was one of the wonderful ladies at Marcos Paper that gave me the info on the broken pencils.

Sorry, I didnt mean to scare you from buying them online! I didnt want anyone to end up with a broken pencil, they are no fun!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #111
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdas View Post
Is there anyone else who can chime in with experience with this? I was thinking about buying on line and now I have second thoughts.
Hi Dorothy;

I bought mine online from Amazon and don't have a problem with them. Boxes can get dropped anywhere and there isn't anything you can do about it. As for inspecting them before buying, well, the sets are sealed in tin boxes, so even in the art or hobby store you're not going to be able to do that.

When I ordered mine, I figured my odds were pretty even no matter where I bought them from. After all, Sanford ships the pencils to the art & hobby stores (often through another distributor) so my thoughts were if they can get them safe to their store, I can get them safe to my house

Out of a 120 set, I had four that I had to sharpen twice. They broke the first time, but held up the second time and ever since then. Even if I had inspected them before buying, I wouldn't have been able to tell they were going to be troublesome. They looked just like the others.

If you're worried, buy through a reputable dealer/store where you can return the pencils if you find that most of them are broken.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #112
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for all the input. The way boxes are handled anywhere they probably get dropped/thrown/? when shipped to stores as well as from on-line vendors.

But at least returns are easier locally. I only have a Michael's that is convenient. Does anyone know off hand what the regular price is for the 120 box?
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #113
Pearl-ExPert

Well, actually you can inspect them when in you buy them individually, which is how I have bought all of mine.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #114
Mad Swapper

subscribing...I (or rather DH) is planning on buying some prismacolor pencils for me as an anniversary present. For those who own the bigger sets...what would be the best buy - 120 or 132? I can get 12 more colors with the 132 set, but is it worth it? DickBlick has it on sale right now for $105 + shipping. I may have to be on the lookout on ebay to see if I can get a better deal on these puppies.

Also, where can I get affordable stumps and gamsol online?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #115
Kookie Creator

I read somewhere that you can put the pencil in the microwave for a very short time in order for the wax to melt back together and then reharden if dropped or broken.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #116
Proud Fan Club Member

I have only been stamping for a couple of years now. I am a scrapbooker or I used to be! I still scrap but stamp much more now. Anyway I have not bought any watercolor products but am really wanting to. I think I am going to buy the Prisma Color pencils. I would like to buy the Stamping Up crayons but they are so expensive. I figure after I buy the pencils and feel comfortable with them I can branch out to other products. This thread will be a great help.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #117
Stazon Splitcoast

oh wow, im going to sally's today
Old 04-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #118
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1r601 View Post
subscribing...I (or rather DH) is planning on buying some prismacolor pencils for me as an anniversary present. For those who own the bigger sets...what would be the best buy - 120 or 132? I can get 12 more colors with the 132 set, but is it worth it? DickBlick has it on sale right now for $105 + shipping. I may have to be on the lookout on ebay to see if I can get a better deal on these puppies.

Also, where can I get affordable stumps and gamsol online?
Hi Alma;

Check your pricing at Dick Blick. You can actually get all 132 cheaper if you buy the 120 set and the "new 12" set. It comes out to $95.53.

Since you're going with Dick Blick, you might as well go all the way as they carry both Gamsol & Stumps. That could save you additional shipping costs when ordering them elsewhere.

Stumps - http://www.dickblick.com/products/gray-paper-stumps/
Gamsol - http://www.dickblick.com/products/ga...neral-spirits/

They also sell the sanding block on the stumps page. I'd recommend grabbing one of those as well.

V
Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #119
Mad Swapper

Smile

Thanks V for the information...I was on the DB site earlier before I stumbled on the prisma chatter (thanks so much for starting this thread - so much useful info). I did see that I could save a little more $$$ if bought the 120 separate from the 12 new colors. Plus they are offering a $6 shipping on all size orders until April 14 so I might take advantage of that this weekend if DH will let me buy early.

Cool beans! I didn't realize that they sold gamsol, stumps and sanding block there too. I have two little ones at home and even if they know NOT to touch Mommy's stuff, I would probably feel safer than forgetting to put the bottle away. But I will indeed get the stumps and sanding block there too with my order. I am also scouting ebay for a good price on the 120 set as Amber suggested in an earlier post. And get the other accessories at DB. I know Inky Antics sells the stumps and gamsol already in a bottle ready for use.

Quote:
Hi Alma;

Check your pricing at Dick Blick. You can actually get all 132 cheaper if you buy the 120 set and the "new 12" set. It comes out to $95.53.

Since you're going with Dick Blick, you might as well go all the way as they carry both Gamsol & Stumps. That could save you additional shipping costs when ordering them elsewhere.

Stumps - http://www.dickblick.com/products/gray-paper-stumps/
Gamsol - http://www.dickblick.com/products/ga...neral-spirits/

They also sell the sanding block on the stumps page. I'd recommend grabbing one of those as well.

V
Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #120
Mad Swapper

Question about the stumps...

- How long does each stump last?
- What size do you use the most?
- What size would be great for starters like me?

Thanks again for all of the great info everyone has shared so far...