Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #1121
Embossing Fanatic

This is a question for those using Prismacolor markers. What color or colors do you use for coloring skin? I picked up a couple of markers today at M's and so far I really like them. Am thinking of getting some more.

Marilyn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:26 AM   #1122
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Ooo! Great site!

Did you ever try the Strathmore paper? I didn't have any of their sketching/drawing paper, but I pulled out my pad of watercolor paper the other day and did some pencil work on it. Everything from plain coloring to dry blending with a blender pencil and wet blending with solvent. Very different results, but it looked really neat. I think I need to invest in a pad of regular drawing paper as well.

V
I have a pad of Strathmore Dry Media paper 400 series that I need to get back to. Water color paper is great but I guess I have to be careful not to try something with a lot of detail on it because of the rough texture. Also I want to do more on Mylar. But I need to do some pen and ink designs for stamps so that comes first.

Tim
Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 AM   #1123
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ooo! Great site!

Did you ever try the Strathmore paper? I didn't have any of their sketching/drawing paper, but I pulled out my pad of watercolor paper the other day and did some pencil work on it. Everything from plain coloring to dry blending with a blender pencil and wet blending with solvent. Very different results, but it looked really neat. I think I need to invest in a pad of regular drawing paper as well.

V
I have some watercolor paper I got at Joann's or M's, don't know the brand, but it isn't quite as thick and textured as some of them. I LOVE the results with the Prisma pencils and with watercoloring, of course. The color is more intense.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 AM   #1124
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
A grisaille is a monochromatic underpainting. Some painters would do it in grays to imitate stone but you can use any color. Indigo Blue seems to be popular for colored pencil artists and for portraits I've seen Sienna Brown used a lot.
Hope this helps!
Here's a good site for CP artists http://www.glassgems.net/scribble/index.htm lots of good info there.
Tim
Thank you, that's what I figured but thought I'd check...thanks for the link, too!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 10-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #1125
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gram2twins View Post
This is a question for those using Prismacolor markers. What color or colors do you use for coloring skin? I picked up a couple of markers today at M's and so far I really like them. Am thinking of getting some more.

Marilyn
I use my Copics for skin mostly, but I think there is a light peach color that works for skin (though it's a little too pink for my taste). I used it until I broke down and got some Copics. I don't recall the name of it, but it's the lightest peach you'll see there.
You can also do mixed media, and use SU Blush Blossom, or colored pencils, on just the skin, if you're ever stuck for a color...

Old 10-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #1126
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks Lynn,

I did finally order a couple of Copics just for the skin. As you mentioned the light peach is just a little to peachy for me also.

Marilyn
Old 10-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #1127
Mad Swapper

Hey all,
didn't know if this came up through all the posts but I thought I would mention my new toys. I got a set of Derwent Inktense pencils and I love them. They are sort of water color/ ink kind of thingies. I am no artist so I have no idea I just know they are cool. They have VERY intense color which I often find lacking in my prismas. I can use them with gamsol with great results but I can then go over certain areas with my aquabrush to intensify even more. I use them both with regular cs and watercolor paper - different results but both really nice. Sorry to enable but I really like them alot.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #1128
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
Hey all,
didn't know if this came up through all the posts but I thought I would mention my new toys. I got a set of Derwent Inktense pencils and I love them. They are sort of water color/ ink kind of thingies. I am no artist so I have no idea I just know they are cool. They have VERY intense color which I often find lacking in my prismas. I can use them with gamsol with great results but I can then go over certain areas with my aquabrush to intensify even more. I use them both with regular cs and watercolor paper - different results but both really nice. Sorry to enable but I really like them alot.
Oh nice to know! I've had them on my Amazon wish list forever, but have never ordered them. They are all too tempting now.

V
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #1129
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I got a set of Derwent Inktense pencils and I love them. They are sort of water color/ ink kind of thingies. I am no artist so I have no idea I just know they are cool. They have VERY intense color which I often find lacking in my prismas.
They are awesome!! I used them on the last card I did. I need to use them more often because they help set the tone for the card as far as getting areas of deep value down early on in the process.

Go for it V!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #1130
Mad Swapper

Quote:
They are awesome!! I used them on the last card I did. I need to use them more often because they help set the tone for the card as far as getting areas of deep value down early on in the process.

Go for it V!
ooooh nice card and funny too!

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #1131
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Go for it V!
Too cute, Tim! That red is pretty vibrant. That's one color I have the hardest time getting the right shade to come through. I usually end up bringing up the color with some grey to get a good strong tone. A nice intense red is definitely something that would come in handy with Christmas cards this year. I may just have to break down and order.

V
Old 10-28-2009, 05:43 AM   #1132
Stazon Splitcoast

I have just a 12 pack of the Derwent, and I love them, also...like you said, nice and deep colors. The only "problem" is, I spilled my gamsol jar all over them so they are kind of soft now (the whole thing, not just the tip)

Old 10-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #1133
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
I have just a 12 pack of the Derwent, and I love them, also...like you said, nice and deep colors. The only "problem" is, I spilled my gamsol jar all over them so they are kind of soft now (the whole thing, not just the tip)
Oh no! Well, it is a solvent, so that's not too surprising. Still a real bummer! That's one of the reasons I have mine in a cute little metal solvent pump and that is tucked into a wooden box that also holds my stump and sanders. It's handy as heck and the box is far harder to knock over than a jar.

There's a picture of the box in my gallery from when I was using a small jar with baby oil. I guess I need to take a new picture now that I've upgraded!

V
Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #1134
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Oh no! Well, it is a solvent, so that's not too surprising. Still a real bummer! That's one of the reasons I have mine in a cute little metal solvent pump and that is tucked into a wooden box that also holds my stump and sanders. It's handy as heck and the box is far harder to knock over than a jar.

There's a picture of the box in my gallery from when I was using a small jar with baby oil. I guess I need to take a new picture now that I've upgraded!

V
Yeah, I was just too cheap to buy one of those cute little jars I hate spending money on storage, etc...I'd rather buy product! But last night, I used the gamsol and I left it in the little crate that holds everything, so it couldn't get knocked over at least!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #1135
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Yeah, I was just too cheap to buy one of those cute little jars I hate spending money on storage, etc...I'd rather buy product! But last night, I used the gamsol and I left it in the little crate that holds everything, so it couldn't get knocked over at least!
Oh I totally understand. I got mine as a mother's day gift. I can't imagine going back to doing without now that I've got it.

V
Old 10-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #1136
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Oh no! This reminded me of something you can do with your inktense pencils. You can break off a piece and put it in a little container of water and let it dissolve overnight and paint from that. I saw where one lady used different amounts of water per container to get different shades of washes. I haven't tried this yet.

What I have been doing is.... instead of drawing with them and then using a brush I wet the brush and apply it to the pencil and then brush it on.

Tim
Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #1137
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Oh no! This reminded me of something you can do with your inktense pencils. You can break off a piece and put it in a little container of water and let it dissolve overnight and paint from that. I saw where one lady used different amounts of water per container to get different shades of washes. I haven't tried this yet.

What I have been doing is.... instead of drawing with them and then using a brush I wet the brush and apply it to the pencil and then brush it on.

Tim
Hmmm....interesting. Of course, at that point, I might as well just get out my tubes of watercolor and work from them. I haven't done that in ages. I should break them out again.

V
Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #1138
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Tim
When I use them with water, I will scribble a bit on some paper then use my aquabrush to pick up the amount of color that I want. For some reason this works better for me than the other methods you have described. I feel like I get a lot of control that way. However what works for me doesn't always work for others, its just another option.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #1139
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Hmmm....interesting. Of course, at that point, I might as well just get out my tubes of watercolor and work from them. I haven't done that in ages. I should break them out again.

V
lol... true. I need to do that too. I don't have too much experience with wc's in general so I could use the practice.

Quote:
When I use them with water, I will scribble a bit on some paper then use my aquabrush to pick up the amount of color that I want. For some reason this works better for me than the other methods you have described. I feel like I get a lot of control that way. However what works for me doesn't always work for others, its just another option.
That's a really good idea too. I need to try that as well. So many ways to do stuff.

Just posted a card done with just Prismacolors. I'd love to see others done with Inktense Pencils if you got them and of course Prismas as well! We don't have to go to the trouble of starting an 'Inktense Chatter Thread' do we?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #1140
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you guys find that your outlines get kind of dull and smudged after coloring in with the pencils? Or, are you all better at staying inside the lines (and not ON them) than I am? LOL Sometimes I feel I need to go back over the black lines after I'm done...I'm thinking I may want to start embossing everything that I color with the pencils??
Here's an example:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=173333
I went back over the vest, scarf and star for example...but the hat looks like it could use it (I'm just afraid to mess it up at this point because it is longer lines = more likely I'll veer off course!)

PS I did use my Inktense on the blue scarf because it seemed to kind of fade into the jeans (before I went over the lines again, at least)

Last edited by nottoocreative; 10-30-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #1141
Stazon Splitcoast

MrHambo, thanks for your kind comment It just goes to show, mistakes sometimes make the best cards...because I didn't like the color of the hat I did at first, so I kept adding different shades to try and get it to be more like the Sand colored paper. LOL I do like how it looks now, though--but I probably couldn't do that if I tried
I'm learning a lot from you, though! Looking at your cards, reading this thread and the link you provided...so, thanks!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #1142
Mad Swapper

Quote:
lol... true. I need to do that too. I don't have too much experience with wc's in general so I could use the practice.

That's a really good idea too. I need to try that as well. So many ways to do stuff.

Just posted a card done with just Prismacolors. I'd love to see others done with Inktense Pencils if you got them and of course Prismas as well! We don't have to go to the trouble of starting an 'Inktense Chatter Thread' do we?
I have a card on my blog today (haven't put it on scs yet) that I did with the inktense pencils. No water on this one just gamsol.
http://paperrocksscissors.blogspot.c...day.html#links

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #1143
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Holy spamoli! That is one awesome card. Your leaves rock and your shading....I bow to the master!

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #1144
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I have a card on my blog today (haven't put it on scs yet) that I did with the inktense pencils. No water on this one just gamsol.
beautiful coloring, very intense colors too! May I ask about your technique? Do you just color the edges and pull it into the middle? Or, do you shade a bit with the pencils first and then just kind of smooth it all out with the gamsol?

I find I can't get the color to move very much, is why I am asking (unless I don't WANT it to, and I get smears into a lighter color LOL)

Old 10-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #1145
Mad Swapper

Quote:
beautiful coloring, very intense colors too! May I ask about your technique? Do you just color the edges and pull it into the middle? Or, do you shade a bit with the pencils first and then just kind of smooth it all out with the gamsol?

I find I can't get the color to move very much, is why I am asking (unless I don't WANT it to, and I get smears into a lighter color LOL)
Thanks, that intensity is what I love about the inktense.
I do color around the edges and pull it to the area where I want to have the lightest part. I have found that I need to layer a lot of color in the edges so that there is enough to move around. If you just put down a light layer initially it doesn't go very far. It seems to help if my stump is really well saturated and I reapply the gamsol often. I am no expert by any means, it is all trial and error.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #1146
Rubber Obsessor

Red face Outling w/ Prismacolors

Have U tried the Verthin Prism pencils for outlining? I want to get a set for those. I did use the black Glaze pen on some o/lines this summer. The pencils won't go o/sidethe line w/those. Have U tried coloring inside the line & only blending from their to the inside. I use a stump only,Gamsol makes me sick.Plus I was coloring in front of my a/c unit on my lap so even baby oil would spill.

Last edited by grandmabear49; 10-30-2009 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #1147
Kookie Creator

Wow! Active thread today! Lots of questions and comments to answer.

Quote:
WC's were my medium of choice for years. These days I don't even draw, much less break out the tubes of WC and paint! I got lazy when I started buying stamps. I've been thinking about them more lately, though. I haven't liked the backgrounds I've been getting with plain pencils. I miss a good wash now and again, I guess.

Quote:
I'd love to see others done with Inktense Pencils if you got them and of course Prismas as !! We don't have to go to the trouble of starting an 'Inktense Chatter Thread' do we?
Oh, I certainly hope not! This one is enough to keep up with as it is!

Quote:
Oh Kim! Very cute! I do like the intensity of the blue. What color did you use for the skin tones?

Quote:
Do you guys find that your outlines get kind of dull and smudged after coloring in with the pencils? Or, are you all better at staying inside the lines (and not ON them) than I am? LOL Sometimes I feel I need to go back over the black lines after I'm done...I'm thinking I may want to start embossing everything that I color with the pencils??
I see what you mean about the grey tones. That's not a problem I've had. What ink are you using for your stamps, or is that a digital image?

V
Old 10-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #1148
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Awesome coloring!! Cool card layout too and I like those images a lot.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #1149
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
...because I didn't like the color of the hat I did at first, so I kept adding different shades to try and get it to be more like the Sand colored paper. LOL I do like how it looks now, though--but I probably couldn't do that if I tried
I know how that is!!! I'm trying to get to that point of knowing where I'm going when I start. I know that might take some of the fun out of exploring stuff but I guess it just takes more practice.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #1150
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I see what you mean about the grey tones. That's not a problem I've had. What ink are you using for your stamps, or is that a digital image?

V
Someone sent the image to me, but I think she used Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I think it does it no matter what ink I use, though. I've tried Stazon and Versafine. It's just the lighter colored pencils seem to be a little opaque and make the outlines dull. But if it doesn't happen to you...hmmmmm

Old 10-31-2009, 08:14 PM   #1151
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Someone sent the image to me, but I think she used Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I think it does it no matter what ink I use, though. I've tried Stazon and Versafine. It's just the lighter colored pencils seem to be a little opaque and make the outlines dull. But if it doesn't happen to you...hmmmmm
I use Memento Tuxedo Black for all of my images with no problems. On rare occasions, I'll have some "fuzzing" of the lines with digital images. That's due to too much solvent on laser toner though.

V
Old 11-01-2009, 01:14 AM   #1152
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Prismacolor Pencils

I have not used my pencils for ages- I just took them out and made a color chart, then.....found this thread and read through the entire thread.....from start to finish- but hey, I have an extra hour to sleep in the morning, right??? LOL
Fabulous information! Thanks to all of you who share all of this information! I am enjoying looking at all of the cards- I follow Dini's blog, so I am familiar with her fabulous coloring, but it is great to find all of the names of other such talented artists so I can check out your galleries too.
It appears I have the older set- I have deco colors in my tin- so next I am going to be off looking for all of the colors, so I can see what I do not have in the colors available. (Mine are at least 10 years old) I do use all SU colors for paper, so I did find a Su color comparison chart, and went through and made a chart so I can see what I do not have.....
Thanks again for sharing all of the info- and I am subscribing so I can keep up with this thread.

Shelly
Old 11-02-2009, 03:35 AM   #1153
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcschmidty View Post
I have not used my pencils for ages- I just took them out and made a color chart, then.....found this thread and read through the entire thread.....from start to finish- but hey, I have an extra hour to sleep in the morning, right??? LOL

Shelly
Glad you got your pencils out again Shelly! It's a pretty good reference thread isn't it? Please feel free to post a link to some of your coloring when you get one done you'd like to share.

Here's one I posted. I used some Inktense pencils to get it going but mostly Prismas. This is one where I wish a Prisma white would really work on top of a darker color. I would have done the whole sky then put the snow on it. Any suggestions for a white on top of Prismas????

Thanks!!

Tim

Last edited by MrHambo; 11-02-2009 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: Plurals NEEED an 's'
Old 11-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #1154
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Hi everyone!

For a more intense white over pencil (or anything else really) I use acrylic paint or a white Souffle pen.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #1155
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

OK, Tim, I just saw your sky card - white acrylic paint dotted with a small stylus would work great. Gives a little dimension too, and if you were feeling really ambitious and sparkly you could sprinkle a little glitter on it before it dried...

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #1156
Mad Swapper

The skin consisted of a base layer of copic marker E00 then a little bit of saddle brown 1740(derwent inktense pencil) around the edges and carmine pink 0520 (also DI) for the cheeks. It was a little too yellow for me but I didn't feel like doing the whole thing over again.

Quote:
Wow! Active thread today! Lots of questions and comments to answer.

WC's were my medium of choice for years. These days I don't even draw, much less break out the tubes of WC and paint! I got lazy when I started buying stamps. I've been thinking about them more lately, though. I haven't liked the backgrounds I've been getting with plain pencils. I miss a good wash now and again, I guess.

Oh, I certainly hope not! This one is enough to keep up with as it is!

Oh Kim! Very cute! I do like the intensity of the blue. What color did you use for the skin tones?

V

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #1157
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Hi everyone!

For a more intense white over pencil (or anything else really) I use acrylic paint or a white Souffle pen.
Thanks!! I had to look up 'white Souffle pen' but I found it. Might have to give that a shot.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #1158
Kookie Creator

Quote:
The skin consisted of a base layer of copic marker E00 then a little bit of saddle brown 1740(derwent inktense pencil) around the edges and carmine pink 0520 (also DI) for the cheeks. It was a little too yellow for me but I didn't feel like doing the whole thing over again.
Hmmm...interesting. I'll have to play with that combo. I tend to use Seashell Pink and shade out with Nectar (Prismacolors), but I'd like to have more options.

V
Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #1159
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I got mine for Mom's day. My husband does electronics stuff and he ordered some other supplies while he was at it, so I don't know what shipping on just that would be. I know when I first looked at it, the shipping was pretty reasonable.

Oh heck, he just told me he didn't order it from them, but from another electronics place he already had an account with, Mouser. They actually have a variety of options including an amber glass one that's about the same price as the metal one. He says their customer service is excellent.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=menda

The metal one was the one I wanted though, as I will eventually alter it.

V

I have the blue 4 oz. one. I work for an electronics company and was able to buy one from our stock room. No shipping, I don't care what it looks like and I use these everyday so I knew what to expect from it.
2014 100 in 100 Challenge round #2 40/100
Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #1160
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntangie View Post
I have the blue 4 oz. one. I work for an electronics company and was able to buy one from our stock room. No shipping, I don't care what it looks like and I use these everyday so I knew what to expect from it.
Oh that's a cool bonus!

V